• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition 2: Blessing in Disguise for Nintendo Switch Reviews

Jooxed

Gold Member
whouDwx.jpg

Metacritic

Opencritic

8/10

5/10

7/10

4.5/10

1/5

5/10

8.5/10

9/10

4/10

"Look, what I’m trying to get at here is that if you didn’t like Deadly Premonition, you won’t like Deadly Premonition 2. It won’t win anybody new over, but it will please the growing fanbase that the original cult classic has accrued. As with that pseudo-masterpiece, get over the technical issues and you’ll find a true diamond in the rough: A bonafide contender for the most memorable game of the year. Like father, like son. Isn’t that right, Zach? "

"Deadly Premonition 2 delivers exactly what fans have been craving for years. More of that iconic style, more of its downright kooky cast of characters, and more of its dark and twisted paranormal horror. If you’ve played the original game, you owe it to yourself to play this as well. In fact, it’s absolutely bonkers how much this game resembles its predecessor – for better and for worse. "

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Holy shit this looks dated, when I saw that game from 2010 and nowadays, it does not looks nearly as good, asi I would expect. Because how was the Xbox exlusive was called? D40? Or something like that, it was not so bad and it ran fine. I am not saying that game is trash, it's probably fun, but that technical side of things seems less than ideal.

Caffeine

This is gonna be a cult hit this is only good if your a fan of this series, but if your casual and just hopping on your probably gonna hate it.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Saw that video earlier, yeesh... That's some performance ok. Reminds me of the old nokia games that you used to get on phones back in the day, they would look rough and run like arse. Man, what happened here...?

This takes me back to 2010! The first game got awful reviews and yet I loved it. That being said, I'm going to wait for a PS4 or X1 version later down the road since I don't have a Switch. Hopefully they can refine a few of the issues and fix the frame rate by the time those versions release.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Oh no, the guy who runs “RPGSite” doesn’t like it? I better cancel any preorders.

Just to be clear, personally I'm absolutely on board with Deadly Premonition 2 and loved the first one. I just thought it was funny that Swery retweeted it.

Saw that video earlier, yeesh... That's some performance ok. Reminds me of the old nokia games that you used to get on phones back in the day, they would look rough and run like arse. Man, what happened here...?
Doesn't seem that bad, and surely a patch or two can fix up the rough spots. That being said I ran crysis on max settings with a 8800gts and core2duo back in the day and was fine with 17 to 18fps in sub 1080p resolutions. I ran tons of games in the quake and unreal days where when you go outside the fPS tanks to 5 to 10 fPS, even with a voodoo graphics card. That didn't change until I got a sound blaster live to move cpu power back to the cpu. Was using a cyrix 200mhz cpu which was advertised equal to a pentium 2 at 266mhz... It wasn't even with over clocking. A pentium 3 fixed that for me.
I ran wolf3d, doom in a small window screen for more fPS on a 386sx 16mhz pc. And played real-time 3d games stunt driver and Ultima underworld in sometimes slow MO.

My point is people nitpick today about a few fPS. Back in the day we got by on 18 to 20 fPS and were happy for seeing new technology or an amazing experience. As far as I'm concerned if it's single player a few fPS dips won't hurt.

Raven117

Gold Member
Sign me up man. The first one was great, and this looks to be another big ol scoop of crazy and flies in the face of what the industry thinks games have to be.

Woffls

Going from gaming on a 144Hz monitor to this is going to be... rough... but it's Deadly Premonition so whatever. Nice cinematic frame rate won't kill me.

Kreen101

It looks like it's really a carbon copy of the original in terms of writing, performance, gameplay and everything, and I'm 100 % happy with that. I feared they would change too much.

I especially enjoyed, in the original, the way they handled sidequests : you had to be at a certain place at a certain time to do the quest; if you missed your chance, because the character left town, for instance, the quest was gone forever. I loved that aspect of it, as it created the feel of a real, living town where people had their lives and were not just NPCs standing in place.

ROMhack

I reckon they've made it bad on purpose, at least from what I can see from Swery's reaction on Twitter.

Also Swery's games are fucking weird. DP was hit and miss. D4 was absolutely awful (remember that). The MISSING was amazing.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
“A blessing in disguise” is basically what Deadly Premonition is all about, isn’t it? :messenger_grinning:

I’ll be very interested in seeing if the tune changes when the game gets ported to other platforms - if it gets any attention at all by then.

Zephir

What if the bad framerate is actually a clue to identify the killer and after the final boss everything runs at 60fps?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Doesn't seem that bad, and surely a patch or two can fix up the rough spots. That being said I ran crysis on max settings with a 8800gts and core2duo back in the day and was fine with 17 to 18fps in sub 1080p resolutions. I ran tons of games in the quake and unreal days where when you go outside the fPS tanks to 5 to 10 fPS, even with a voodoo graphics card. That didn't change until I got a sound blaster live to move cpu power back to the cpu. Was using a cyrix 200mhz cpu which was advertised equal to a pentium 2 at 266mhz... It wasn't even with over clocking. A pentium 3 fixed that for me.
I ran wolf3d, doom in a small window screen for more fPS on a 386sx 16mhz pc. And played real-time 3d games stunt driver and Ultima underworld in sometimes slow MO.

My point is people nitpick today about a few fPS. Back in the day we got by on 18 to 20 fPS and were happy for seeing new technology or an amazing experience. As far as I'm concerned if it's single player a few fPS dips won't hurt.
I cant imagine how, but I finished HL2 and Doom 3 on laptop with Intel integrated graphics...in 2005! Yeah. Probably ran at 3-4 fps I suppose lol. And I still have nothing but good memories. Nostalgia!

stranno

What if the bad framerate is actually a clue to identify the killer and after the final boss everything runs at 60fps?
That happened a lot with disc drive consoles years ago. Reading noise spoiled every single AI encounter, it was crazy on loud consoles like Dreamcast.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This is Deadly Premonition after all. A high MC score would have been horrible and absolutely detrimental to the mystique and quirky, janky charm of this cult classic.

Hope you Nintendo guys enjoy and it's as much fun as the first one.

Top Bottom