• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise announced for Switch; Deadly Premonition 1 available for Switch today

C4lukin2

Banned
I hope it is not just on Switch.

And I enjoy my Switch, but this is a super niche franchise.

I hope it is also on PS4, Xbox, and PC.

Bakkus

I've heard people prefer the original 60 version compared to the PS3 remaster. Is that a warning sign for this?

dolabla

Aksys doing the physical North American release.

In case you missed the original, Deadly Premonition: Origins is available right now on the Switch eShop, and a physical Collector’s Edition will launch in November, thanks to from Aksys Games (North America) and Numskull Games (Europe).

Already up for pre-order on Aksys store, but it's coming to other retailers as well:

Virex

Banned
I for one am excited. Deadly Premonition is one of my favourite games. And I am ready for a sequel. But I somehow doubt it will have the same charm as the first one.

I'm not usually a graphics whore, but these graphics and animations are pretty hard to stomach.

I know this is shallow but that's what's kept me away from the game for all these years as well, it would have been fine on the PS2 (isn't that what it started life for?) but I have a low tolerance for shitty graphics in HD, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

But I do love weird Japanese games as much as the next guy, I will jump on the chance to finally play the original soon and the sequel, are there any differences between the Switch version and the Director's Cut?

Hostile_18

Banned
is this a joke
why does it look as shit as the first one

If having average graphics means the scope and scale is as big as the last game I'd much rather they stay like that.

Plus its always a little jarring if they change too much over sequels. I value consistency lol.

Ehhhh, I feel like there's little excuse for the sequel not to look a little bit better than the first one, I mean it's coming out a decade later.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Ehhhh, I feel like there's little excuse for the sequel not to look a little bit better than the first one, I mean it's coming out a decade later.

Oh I'm sure the final product will be a bit better I just meant it wouldn't be massive or up to a AAA release as this is a smaller team after all.

Senuas Sacrifice was made by 20 people and that had amazing graphics but little scope. I'd rather the reverse for a story heavy game like Deadly Premonition. :)

Kagey K

Banned
Is Deadly Premonition a game most Switch fans will even appreciate?

It doesn’t seem like the right audience for that game.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Apparently it's got elements of the DC version, like the HUD.

I think they just left out the unpopular new cut scenes?
Yeah from what I read it has none of the new content from the DC versions, but that's not a big deal whatsoever in my opinion. If anything it's better off without them.

Are you perhaps implying that DP is a game that appeals to the general PS4, Bone and PC audiences and also that the average player on those system can appreciate DP?
You're DP level weird if you think so.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Are you perhaps implying that DP is a game that appeals to the general PS4, Bone and PC audiences and also that the average player on those system can appreciate DP?
You're DP level weird if you think so.
I was implying that the general Switch audience skews younger with some older fans thrown in.

I’d love to see some statistics that prove me wrong though.

Last edited:

The Switch is pretty much the new Vita, and with Sony becoming Western AAA focused, I'd actually argue the main audience for weird shit and Japanese games, ie DP's target demographic, is primarily Nintendo's at this point.

Barakov

Deadly Premonition 2?
xDxNJ8W.gif

Shifty

(From the opposite end of an extremely long dinner table)
My god, I never thought I'd see the day. Isn't that right, Zach?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The Switch is pretty much the new Vita, and with Sony becoming Western AAA focused, I'd actually argue the main audience for weird shit and Japanese games, ie DP's target demographic, is primarily Nintendo's at this point.
I don’t think I would agree.

But if you had some evidence of this I’d love to see it.

Hostile_18

Banned
It's getting a bit annoying not knowing if its Switch exclusive or not.

Judging by the lack of answers seems like it's almost certainly timed exclusive only.

Vawn

Banned
I was implying that the general Switch audience skews younger with some older fans thrown in.

I’d love to see some statistics that prove me wrong though.

I don't think that stereotype holds up this generation. Switch is getting tons of mature games that are clearly not geared towards kids or the type of players who only play family friendly games. They seem to be doing very well there.

Revenile

OK I'll answer the exclusive question as I did research into it.

Deadly Premonition 2 is a Switch exclusive "At Launch" according to Rising Star Games. Other platforms are not out of the question in the future, just as of now they are not discussing the issue.

Nintendo Life has an update on it that confirms it.

As for the audio issues in the Switch port of Origins: Jim Sterling tweeted out "I had some brief correspondence with someone on the dev team this evening and they seem to care very deeply about this port, so I’ll remain hopeful. " So that to me is a somewhat decent sign, as the PC version got a patch that fixed controller support almost and that was it.

Last edited:

LUXURY

Wow. Awesome news but too bad I’ll never get to play it. I’d never buy an entire Nintendo Switch for one game. Zero interest in owning a Nintendo game console.

ExpandKong

Banned
Wow. Awesome news but too bad I’ll never get to play it. I’d never buy an entire Nintendo Switch for one game. Zero interest in owning a Nintendo game console.

Ah yes I forgot the part where they pointed out this is the only, single game that will ever be released on the Nintendo Switch (or as they call it, the DP2 Machine).

Dada55000

If having average graphics means the scope and scale is as big as the last game I'd much rather they stay like that.

Plus its always a little jarring if they change too much over sequels. I value consistency lol.
I don't just mean graphics, the entire thing looks awkward and has terrible framerate. I don't being "faithful" extends that far.

The Snake

I can't even properly describe how stoked I am for this. When I saw the announcement I shouted "WHAT" aloud. I never in a million years would have expected a Deadly Premonition sequel.

lmao @ people bashing the way it looks. Leave our topic, please. Let us have our weird awkward mid-budget game to ourselves.

LUXURY

It sucks to be you, then. Imagine shutting yourself off from all those wonderful games.

Like what? Zelda and Mario? Nintendo hasn’t appealed to me since I was about 13 years old. They just seem to appeal to a younger generation.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Like what? Zelda and Mario? Nintendo hasn’t appealed to me since I was about 13 years old. They just seem to appeal to a younger generation.
How can I learn to be this mature? Teach me, Obi Wan.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I can't even properly describe how stoked I am for this. When I saw the announcement I shouted "WHAT" aloud. I never in a million years would have expected a Deadly Premonition sequel.

lmao @ people bashing the way it looks. Leave our topic, please. Let us have our weird awkward mid-budget game to ourselves.
If you're looking for an echo chamber, here you go.

Top Bottom