• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEADLINE: Days Gone feature film in development, Sam Heughan to star.

DonJorginho

Banned

https://deadline.com/2022/08/days-gone-sony-playstation-movie-outlander-sam-heughan-1235096286/

EXCLUSIVE: In the wake of Sony minting the start of a cinematic franchise in its big screen take of PlayStation game, Uncharted, which made close to $402M WW, we hear the movie division of its videogame arm, Sony PlayStation Productions, is developing the feature rendition of Days Gone, which Outlander‘s Sam Heughan is circling and Oscar nominated scribe Sheldon Turner is adapting.

The Bend Studios created game, which has sold 9M units, is set in the Pacific Northwest after a devastating global pandemic. The game chronicles former motorcycle club member, Deacon St. John, as he fights to survive against the forces of despair and mutated, predatory humans in his quest to find the long lost, presumed dead, love of his life. Heughan will play Deacon St. John. I hear Turner’s script will be a love ballad to motorcycle movies; the bike being Deacon’s sole form of transportation, his horse in this would-be, modern-day western.

Jennifer Klein and Turner are producing through their production company, Vendetta Productions. Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan are producing for Sony PlayStation Productions.

Turner shared a Golden Globe screenplay win with Jason Reitman and an Adapted Screenplay Oscar nom for Up in the Air. He has a story by on X-Men: First Class, and wrote Doug Liman’s upcoming Everest, which Klein is also producing. Turner just did a rewrite on Liman’s Road House starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Conor McGregor for Prime Video. Paramount Players recently bought the original pitch Man of War from Turner and Klein. Vendetta is repped by Kevin Marks at Gang Tyre Ramer.

Scottish actor Heughan played Jamie Fraser on 75 episodes of Starz’s Outlander. He is cast in the upcoming Liman Everest movie and Jim Strouse’s It’s All Coming Back to Me. Heughan’s feature credits include the Kate McKinnon-Mila Kunis comedy The Spy Who Dumped Me and Vin Diesel’s Bloodshot. He is repped by UTA.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Find it hilarious personally that Sony didn't find Days Gone "successful" enough to greenlight a sequel, but are now greenlighting a blockbuster film for it.
it's not even about success, it's that the game just did not meet the quality standards of Sony Games at all. A sequel would have fixed that potentially but the studio chose another direction.

It's really hard to watch a Sony game with hard cuts everywhere without seamless cutscene to gameplay transitions of all other Sony games. Not only that but even the controls were real wonky.

mansoor1980

YojD.gif

ACESHIGH

Banned
How about releasing a Bloodborne movie series and a PC port to foster interest in the game? We PC gamers are not familiar with Bloodborne at all so porting the game would help us to not get lost in the story/lore.

Right? I am only interested in a movie but a PC port would be a nice bonus

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Find it hilarious personally that Sony didn't find Days Gone "successful" enough to greenlight a sequel, but are now greenlighting a blockbuster film for it.

Not if you actually think about it.

Reality is that if a game takes awhile to prove itself a success, you can't leave its team sat idle. And if they end up doing something else that's likely to keep them tied up for a significant amount of time... who's supposed to take the reins on the follow-up?

This is why initial sales matter so much. If you are a hit right out of the gate then you can make a serious argument to management that you should start work on the sequel immediately, but if it takes years of slow-burn success obviously its a lot harder to demonstrate that its a priority and you're likely to be reassigned or worst case laid off.

This is why waiting for sale prices isn't a smart move.

EDMIX

Do you have a link to Sony every officially saying that? I mean....you find it funny, but maybe it seem strange because they never actually said that though. Clearly they see value in the IP to port it to PC and do a film, they may have not liked what the sequel was going to be, thus didn't greenlight it, not that the first game wasn't successful enough as I don't see anything officially from Sony that has ever confirmed any of that.

The IP is so bad they want to do a film about?

Its so bad, they want it ported to PC?

The team did soooooo bad, Sony gave Sony Bend the greenlight to do a new IP? Does any of that really sound like a publisher that feels the IP or the team wasn't successful as those moves don't sound like something Sony would do if they really felt that way, as where the fuck is The Order 1886 film? lol

A Aure I don't think they won't make a sequel, they just won't make the sequel that was originally going to happen that didn't get greenlite. As in, they'll do some new IP and likely revisit when they do have a idea for a solid sequel. So I don't think its no forever, it think its simply no to the idea that they brought to Sony

Last edited:
This is getting ridiculous. These movies are so boring, who is excited for these?

If at least they were doing this with any care I could understand but at this rate all they'll just end up associating PlayStation IP with subpart entertainment.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Have sequels to these been cancelled?

Cancelled? When was there even one revealed to argue something was cancelled? From what I recall, they didn't greenlight the development of part 2, as in...they may have not liked what it was about or felt it wasn't different enough etc, but I don't recall it being cancelled as in, made, worked on, revealed and then canned or anything of the sort.

They pitched an idea, it was shot down in favor of a new IP....thats it.

So they liked the game enough to make a movie about it, but won't green light a sequel?

Ok...yes. Thats not some wild idea lol They liked it enough to port it to PC too, so...all this means is what ever the sequel was that was pitched didn't sound good enough or different enough or something. Sony won't make sequels JUST for the sake of making sequels. If the team wants to move on to a new IP and revisit, they very much can.

We saw Insomniac, a team at the time that wasn't even owned by Sony, do Resistance Fall Of Man and then do a Ratchet game after... So for all you know, Sony is saying no that THAT sequel that was pitched, not any sequel of Days Gone regardless.

It was the studio that was split between a sequel or a new IP. Not Sony that denied the sequel.

One of the creators said so when he was "interviewed" by David Jaffe.

I don't know why people keep mentioning this?

Not if you actually think about it.

Reality is that if a game takes awhile to prove itself a success, you can't leave its team sat idle. And if they end up doing something else that's likely to keep them tied up for a significant amount of time... who's supposed to take the reins on the follow-up?

This is why initial sales matter so much. If you are a hit right out of the gate then you can make a serious argument to management that you should start work on the sequel immediately, but if it takes years of slow-burn success obviously its a lot harder to demonstrate that its a priority and you're likely to be reassigned or worst case laid off.

This is why waiting for sale prices isn't a smart move.
The problem with "voting with your wallet", which usually means withholding money but in this case means supporting the game at full price, is that you have to count on all the other mouth-breathers to behave the same way you decide to.

But they won't. Either because they're mouth-breathers or because they assume everyone else is a mouth-breather. The end result is the same.

So it's in your personal best interest to save your money by waiting for a sale price in all cases.

EDMIX

It was the studio that was split between a sequel or a new IP. Not Sony that denied the sequel.

oh wow, I didn't know that was a choice made internally. I always that it was something pitched to Sony and they favored the new IP or something.

if the team wants to move on, I have nothing against that. Let them revisit Days Gone when they actually have an idea for 2.

bitbydeath

On the contrary Sony loved it, they called it one of the best games of last-gen, the rumours about trouble establishing a sequel was said to be internal conflict. Internal being Bend itself.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Learn something new everyday. So it came down to what they wanted to work on next, and the studio ultimately voted for a new IP. Guess we will see Days Gone 2 after that new IP, fresh ideas and experience without back to back same IP fatigue.

Last edited:

yurinka

Ok...yes. Thats not some wild idea lol They liked it enough to port it to PC too, so...all this means is what ever the sequel was that was pitched didn't sound good enough or different enough or something. Sony won't make sequels JUST for the sake of making sequels. If the team wants to move on to a new IP and revisit, they very much can.

We saw Insomniac, a team at the time that wasn't even owned by Sony, do Resistance Fall Of Man and then do a Ratchet game after... So for all you know, Sony is saying no that THAT sequel that was pitched, not any sequel of Days Gone regardless.
Have sequels to these been cancelled?

No Days Gone sequen has been cancelled/rejected by Sony.

This was already debunked by the game directors in videos that are available on David Jaffe's channel: it was the studio manager inside Bend Studio who didn't want to make the sequel and blocked it to make a new IP instead, not "Sony". According to the game directors they never sent a Days Gone 2 pitch outside Bend because their manager blocked it, which means "Sony" never rejected it/avoided to greenlight it.

PS Studios/SIE HQ greenlighted the first game pitch they got from Bend after Days Gone: a new IP. In addition to the Days Gone PS5 patch and PC port before that, and now the movie. Sony also highlighted Days Gone as one of their main games in several places, from IR documents to trailers, to including it in the PS5 PS collection or PS Studios promotional stuff and being one of their supersellers ported to PC.

According to the game directors Sony (specifically the SIEA and PS Studios staff that did work with them) were always very supportive with them both during development and when the started to get the first mixed/bad reviews.

Bought the game on a discount in Epic Store, i enjoyed it so much. I cannot believe they won't make a sequel.
That cliffhanger was so terrific.
Nobody at Sony said they won't make a sequel. The management at Bend wanted to make a new IP after Days Gone. But who knows, they may decide to make a Days Gone sequel as their next project after that IP, or somewhere in the future. Or Sony may decide tto make a sequel with other studio.

This is getting ridiculous. These movies are so boring, who is excited for these?

If at least they were doing this with any care I could understand but at this rate all they'll just end up associating PlayStation IP with subpart entertainment.
Your personal opinion is totally disconected from the market: the Uncharted movie made so far over $400M in box office alone. The Sonic movie made over $300M in box office. Tons of people consume these movies and make a ton of money. They run a business and if it makes money they keep making more.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Learn something new everyday. So it came down to what they wanted to work on next, and the studio ultimately voted for a new IP. Guess we will see Days Gone 2 after that new IP, fresh ideas and experience washout back to back fatigue.

True, I always suspected that Sony wasn't just mad at the games sales or Bend or something as why give a new IP? Why port to PC? None of it added up and I don't hate Jason Schreier , but he exaggerates shit a lot and most of what was being said about that simply didn't make sense based on how we know Sony treats those studios.

If they are mad at how a game turned out, its unlikely they thank Sony Bend with a new IP lol Its unlikely Sony Bend even exist after that or something, look at Evolution Studios. So I think this is like a Resistance To Ratchet type thing. They'll do a new IP, return to the established when they have new ideas etc.

Maybe they are waiting for Unreal Engine 5 or want that new IP out before they revisit Days Gone 2 or the team plans to grow to support both IP in the future or something.

bitbydeath

And it’s possible they’re now working on both since all of Sony’s studios have seen influxes of staff/additional teams. The below image might even be a screenshot taken from the development of Days Gone 2 since it came from Epic themselves and clearly represents what it could look like under UE5.

wiktor-ohman-3-copy.jpg

Learn something new everyday. So it came down to what they wanted to work on next, and the studio ultimately voted for a new IP. Guess we will see Days Gone 2 after that new IP, fresh ideas and experience without back to back same IP fatigue.
According to the director of the game, a sequel to Days Gone was a serious possibility, but when Shawn Layden left PlayStation, the studio didn't believe they'd have the support within Sony or Jim Ryan to move forward with it.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/days-gone-2-ps5-playstation-cancellation/

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Wait........Sony is gonna do a Days Gone Remake to go along with this aren't they.....
Probably waiting to see how TLoU Part 1 does.

That would suck......I want a sequel

Last edited:
Days gone is or will be amazing as an film.It’s ideal for an film.Because the enemies in days gone are not your typical zombies.High productions value film with these 100s and 100s of crawlers will be extremely thrilling on the big screen.I will say it now this film will be a success either as an blockbuster movie or as an b movie.These kind of Films don’t Even need a good story.The Halloween films are exiting you watch on the edge of your chair and they have actually no story killer on the lose.Days gone horror movie will be successful in theaters and as a rent movie

Top Bottom