• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space - The Story Thread - FULL OF UNTAGGED SPOILERS!

Perhaps the Maker wields an incredible amount of power of the Markers that they create... the Maker can create it as well as destroy it, that's why they have to die? Isaac did build it and tear it down, so maybe the Marker leaves a piece of itself inside the mind of the Makers. A metaphorical shard, if you will.

pvpness

I really wanna know more about the two "agent" type cats at the end of Dead Space: Salvage. They seem to be pretty in tune telepathically with what's going on with the necromorphs, "They're regrouping", "I know" and such leads to a lot of interesting questions. Not to mention I'd like to know more about the sole survivor that jacks the stealth ship and shocks outta the system.

I'm assuming at this point that the human race has been trapped in the middle of an intergalactic war that's been raging for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years.

edit: Meaning I'm guessing that there are two life forms "trapped" within the marker. One that gives us Necromorphs and the like and the other that's trying to stop the entire thing. Two sides of an old conflict finally resolved in the markers themselves and then unleashed once again because of human meddling.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
luxarific said:
There was that one log you find in a lab in GovSector, saying that smart people see plans (forget the exact terminology), and everyone else goes crazy. Issac is smart and Stross, as seen in Aftermath, is also (Lexine struck me as a bit of a dumb damsel in distress in Extraction, but that's just my opinion). Presumably Ellie is also smart; she doesn't seem to be experiencing any negative effects from the marker at all.
The thing about Ellie is we don't see any effect from the Marker on her at all. No headaches, no visions, nothing. Those "smart" characters see plans and whatnot, but they're certainly not lacking in hallucinations and other crazy effects. They're not not effected.

I'm also not sure Lexine was special in the same ways that Isaac, Stross, Altman, etc. were. She gets physically ill, but again there's no big indication that she encounters any other Marker effects.

I find it hard to draw any conclusions about these patterns when if you really think about it, several characters don't seem particularly effected by the Markers. Dead Space's universe and mythology are supremely fascinating, but also damned confusing.

I only hope the writer know what they're doing, I've seen quite a few series that starts strong, mysterious and intriguing only for it to fall apart later on.

ajim

I really hope convergence doesn't turn out to be a way to create new Hive Minds. I really don't.

ajim said:
I really hope convergence doesn't turn out to be a way to create new Hive Minds. I really don't.

It probably won't... the Hive Minds were created in the first game, Extraction, and Salvage, but Convergence was never even mentioned. There's probably something more to it.

Duki

Banned
i still dont get how the necros in ds2 knew how to do anything without a hive mind

ds 1 makes it seem pretty clear that the hive mind was in control of all the surrounding necromorphs

so i assumed you needed one for them not to just spazz out

Duki said:
i still dont get how the necros in ds2 knew how to do anything without a hive mind

ds 1 makes it seem pretty clear that the hive mind was in control of all the surrounding necromorphs

so i assumed you needed one for them not to just spazz out

Well... either the Marker asserted control over the Necromorphs in lieu of a Hive Mind, or there was a Hive Mind, but Isaac never encountered it during his adventure.

Top Bottom