• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space: Rewriting and Improving the Story of a Horror Classic

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

IGN First takes a closer look at how the Dead Space story has been re-written for the upcoming remake, from new speaking roles to improved environmental storytelling. Stay tuned for more exclusive Dead Space remake news and videos this month.

Good to see it's not just the same game but a more Resident Evil 2 style expanded one.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Improving"

You Got It Yes GIF by NETFLIX

Tomeru

Im fuckin' loving TCP, and I have high hopes for this remake as well. At worst, it'll be a great game. I hope the sound design will be at least the same level.

Hype.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Looking good. Haven't played the original in about 7 years, so this should be a fantastic romp in space once again.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah we've seen the rewrites, the game is so much better now it has people who like the same sex, that alone just builds the tension and horror and amplifies the story beyond the original 🙄

Also why does the game look so shit now, it looked better when it was first revealed
Now it looks like a YouTuber AI upscaled60fps it.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I hate everything I've seen about the remake so far!

I absolutely love dead space 1 and 2 but this looks wrong, Isaac and the other cast look wrong and why is there so much talking! Also horrible animation!

I will definitely wait for this to come out before I buy it, I will do what I did with the last of us 1 remake remake and play the original before it comes out.

"It's also for the veteran players, so they'll go like: 'oooh this is a little bit different!'".

Like I remembered every detail of that story from a video game I played 15 years ago..
What do they think I am? An elephant?

Fools idol

Banned
it makes me chuckle how many jimmies are ruffled by the thought of including gay characters. Y'all bedroom dwellers need to lighten up - the game will be great, it does not matter what gender or orientation a videogame character is.

it makes me chuckle how many jimmies are ruffled by the thought of including gay characters. Y'all bedroom dwellers need to lighten up - the game will be great, it does not matter what gender or orientation a videogame character is.
well, it'd appear to matter to the people making the changes, eh? otherwise, why bother?...

Fools idol

Banned
well, it'd appear to matter to the people making the changes, eh? otherwise, why bother?...

Why bother with what? why are you bothered about orientation of fictional characters? If that is the case, it is not an issue with the game, but an issue with yourself. The immediate comments we get are like 'omg, they added a gay character, must be woke' and it's just hilarious. If I'm reading a new book and a new character is introduced, I don't suddenly go 'wonder if they're gay!' unless I have an issue with characters being gay, cause otherwise, it's a non issue.

If every character in an upcoming game was hetrosexual, do you think we would see these people's first reaction to gameplay footage be 'oh wow, look at all those heterosexual people, they must be <insert stupid opinion here>?' absolutely not.

Again I repeat my above statement, it's so funny to see ruffled jimmies pretend they aren't ruffled about gay people in games.

Last edited:
Why bother with what? why are you bothered about orientation of fictional characters? If that is the case, it is not an issue with the game, but an issue with yourself. The immediate comments we get are like 'omg, they added a gay character, must be woke' and it's just hilarious. If I'm reading a new book and a new character is introduced, I don't suddenly go 'wonder if they're gay!' unless I have an issue with characters being gay, cause otherwise, it's a non issue.

If every character in an upcoming game was hetrosexual, do you think we would see these people's first reaction to gameplay footage be 'oh wow, look at all those heterosexual people, they must be <insert stupid opinion here>?' absolutely not.

Again I repeat my above statement, it's so funny to see ruffled jimmies pretend they aren't ruffled about gay people in games.
&, again, i repeat my above statement: it obviously matters to the people making the changes...

otherwise, why would they bother 'clarifying' a character's sexual preferences? why take the time? they didn't take the time in the original. why do so now? because, if the people making the changes truly felt, as you apparently do, that it didn't matter? well, there'd be no point whatsoever in doing so, now would there?...

also: this isn't a new game. it's a remake. the characters've already been created...

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Let's wait and see on that one, I think this will be a marmite situation but not for the whole game, for the story changes, new dialogue, visual & aural improvements and new side stuff. It will be a great game in isolation but I think many changes will be subjectively negative when compared to the original game, tech improvements should be an objective upgrade for the most part though.

It's actually looking much improved. Looks like a lot of thought went into sound design

This all sounds great I agree, except the way the sound doesn't change over fully until the door clicks shut, surely most of the sound would be cut off just from it closing over, then the last little bit from the locking of the seal.

I'm not looking for problems, when they go to into extreme detail I was really focused on how it compared to reality and it just stood out to me, even if it's not it makes it feel like it's tied to a door close state switch rather than simulating what would actually happen and that's doing a disservice to the work they've done.

homer simpson episode 10 GIF

Chips and feathers are ruffled, jimmies are rustled.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The developers of the Dead Space remake discuss the impact the original Dead Space had on survival horror, and how new technology will redefine its scares for a new generation. Dead Space is December's IGN First! Check out our other exclusive videos covering the upcoming remake.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I had absolutely NO interest in this since i was first announced because I played the trilogy on the Series X earlier this year and holds up so well.

If there are a lot of changes and expansion on the original story that turn out to be very good, I might consider it now. I have no desire to play the exact game I played this year with slightly better graphics, but I would be interested in more and a somewhat improved/different story especially if they get rid of that hateful "asteroid" segment.

Top Bottom