• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake: Isaac's Dialogue Will Change Based on How Tired He Is

kingfey

Banned

EA Motive has just completed another developer update for the upcoming remake of Dead Space. Aside from showing off some new early footage, the latest developer livestream focused a lot on the audio improvements, including how Isaac's dialogue can vary depending on how tired he is.

During today's livestream, the developers announced a new system titled "A.L.I.V.E.," which E.A. Motive says will encompass "all components of Isaac's breathing and heart rate, vocal excursions, and dialogue influenced by a variety of driving gameplay features."

While elaborating further on A.L.I.V.E., the studio broke down what each letter in the acronym stood for: Adrenaline, Limbic System Response, Intelligent Dialog, Vitals, and Exertions. While each up makes up a component, the most interesting part of the new system is the "Intelligent Dialog," in which E.A. Motive explains that Isaac's scripted dialogue scenes will include three variations of each line "based on his current state."

The three variations: Normal, Fatigued, and Injured, each has drastically different ways Isaac delivers dialogue in-game as the developer demonstrated stream. As you'd expect, each variation is distinct, which helps reflect the state Isaac is in — if Isaac is injured, for example, Isaac will ache subtly while delivering his line.

Of course, the change in Isaac's breathing is nothing new if you played the original. Yet, the new audio improvements and small attention to detail in how Isaac delivers dialogue and even in how he breaths depending on the situation are nice touches to the highly anticipated remake of one of the most popular horror games from the late 2000s

Dead Space Remake is expected to launch in "early 2023." While the game is not due until roughly another year, EA Motive has promised to do another developer update sometime in May, which will focus on Dead Space Remake's art design.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

EA Motive has just completed another developer update for the upcoming remake of Dead Space. Aside from showing off some new early footage, the latest developer livestream focused a lot on the audio improvements, including how Isaac's dialogue can vary depending on how tired he is.

During today's livestream, the developers announced a new system titled "A.L.I.V.E.," which E.A. Motive says will encompass "all components of Isaac's breathing and heart rate, vocal excursions, and dialogue influenced by a variety of driving gameplay features."

While elaborating further on A.L.I.V.E., the studio broke down what each letter in the acronym stood for: Adrenaline, Limbic System Response, Intelligent Dialog, Vitals, and Exertions. While each up makes up a component, the most interesting part of the new system is the "Intelligent Dialog," in which E.A. Motive explains that Isaac's scripted dialogue scenes will include three variations of each line "based on his current state."

The three variations: Normal, Fatigued, and Injured, each has drastically different ways Isaac delivers dialogue in-game as the developer demonstrated stream. As you'd expect, each variation is distinct, which helps reflect the state Isaac is in — if Isaac is injured, for example, Isaac will ache subtly while delivering his line.

Of course, the change in Isaac's breathing is nothing new if you played the original. Yet, the new audio improvements and small attention to detail in how Isaac delivers dialogue and even in how he breaths depending on the situation are nice touches to the highly anticipated remake of one of the most popular horror games from the late 2000s

Dead Space Remake is expected to launch in "early 2023." While the game is not due until roughly another year, EA Motive has promised to do another developer update sometime in May, which will focus on Dead Space Remake's art design.

stamina system in Souls game.

Eeverything you run or shoots, it use your stamina.

EDMIX

I feel you. Thing is with there only being the three games , when DS1 remake is a hit it's probably less effort to remake 2 and 3 and then continue on their new path

Agreed and I think it makes sense to remake the best received, not continue from the worst entry.

They can see how fans feel about those features and remake the whole series while getting info on what fans want for DS4. So i think its a horrid idea to fucking continue from DS3 without any type of feedback as that is how we get a 2042 situation. I want none of that lol

focused a lot on the audio improvements, including how Isaac's dialogue can vary depending on how tired he is.

Adrenaline, Limbic System Response, Intelligent Dialog, Vitals, and Exertions. While each up makes up a component, the most interesting part of the new system is the "Intelligent Dialog," in which E.A. Motive explains that Isaac's scripted dialogue scenes will include three variations of each line "based on his current state."

damn that is some WILD shit!

Day 1. Can't wait to hear more about what they are doing with it. One of the most underrated horror titles from that gen.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Agreed and I think it makes sense to remake the best received, not continue from the worst entry.

They can see how fans feel about those features and remake the whole series while getting info on what fans want for DS4. So i think its a horrid idea to fucking continue from DS3 without any type of feedback as that is how we get a 2042 situation. I want none of that lol
Sounds like something Capcom should of done after they did RE2 Remake.
Just reboot the series from there.

EDMIX

Sounds like something Capcom should of done after they did RE2 Remake.
Just reboot the series from there.

Well I disagree actually. They are in a different situation. RE series has been split for generations. They've had tons of side games like the Outbreak stuff or a FPS stuff like Survivor etc.

With RE7 being one of the best selling titles in the series, it makes no sense to reboot it from the RE2 remake, it makes more sense to simply keep them split and have both.

RE2 remake, RE3 remake, RE4 remake, CV remake etc keep 3rd person.

RE7, 8, 9 etc keep in first person.

I don't believe they should reboot the series based on the remake as its not as if they didn't do well with RE7 to suggest they'd need to reboot anything based on a remake. Simply makes more sense to leave both to exist as different things. They can do that for generations mind you as I'm sure we'll see a RE1 remake with over the shoulder, RE Zero remake or even a continuation of Resident Evil Revelations or a remake.

Enough exist for them to have both

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well I disagree actually. They are in a different situation. RE series has been split for generations. They've had tons of side games like the Outbreak stuff or a FPS stuff like Survivor etc.

With RE7 being one of the best selling titles in the series, it makes no sense to reboot it from the RE2 remake, it makes more sense to simply keep them split and have both.

RE2 remake, RE3 remake, RE4 remake, CV remake etc keep 3rd person.

RE7, 8, 9 etc keep in first person.

I don't believe they should reboot the series based on the remake as its not as if they didn't do well with RE7 to suggest they'd need to reboot anything based on a remake. Simply makes more sense to leave both to exist as different things. They can do that for generations mind you as I'm sure we'll see a RE1 remake with over the shoulder, RE Zero remake or even a continuation of Resident Evil Revelations or a remake.

Enough exist for them to have both
Well yeah it's too late now.
But if they did the Reboot with RE2 Remake and continued from there they could have had a new IP in RE7/8
As that's not what happened as they continued the series in a different direction.
But I'll wait for RE7/8 Remake 😂

Last edited:

EDMIX

Well yeah it's too late now.
But if they did the Reboot with RE2 Remake and continued from there they could have had a new IP in RE7/8
As that's not what happened as they continued the series in a different direction.
But I'll wait for RE7/8 Remake 😂

lol shit, maybe in a few gens a RE7-8 remake will have a option for 3rd person or something.

At first I felt it should be optional, and then when playing thru RE7-8 with how the game is made and those scenes play out, I realize it kinda needs to be first person for several things that occur. They'd need to force the camera back in first person for like several scenes.

Fox Mulder

Zero faith in this, but would be nice to be shocked. The original Dead Space that everyone loved wouldn't come out from today's EA. They killed the series meddling in it and then shut down the talented studio that made it just a few years ago.

Tarkus98

This all sounds awesome. Happy to hear the developers are adding these nice subtle touches to an already amazing game.
I presume the dialog changes will have no impact on the direction the story takes though, just a nice inclusion to add more realism to his character.

peronmls

NO BUY. Why change the story, script, SFX and gameplay elements? Why??? What old clucks! Just a friendly remind the original devs where really good at making Dead Space on a Tiger Woods golf Engine. They deserve to remake their own game. Don't give EA money for these out of touch geezers. "There's not enough sfx, derp." Why does Issaic need to talk when he heals himself or reloads a weapon? What. Why? Intelligent Dialog? Just shut up. If I want my character to announce moves and objects, I'd play Kingdom Hearts.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I can't have high hopes for this kind of marketing mumbo jumbo any more. "Three options" for each line of dialog sounds a lot like the red/blue/green at the end of Mass Effect. Somehow I feel like it's not going to be particularly dynamic or very meaningful.

Calverz

I can't have high hopes for this kind of marketing mumbo jumbo any more. "Three options" for each line of dialog sounds a lot like the red/blue/green at the end of Mass Effect. Somehow I feel like it's not going to be particularly dynamic or very meaningful.
Where does it say dialogue options??

Vaelka

I just hope he doesn't fucking talk constantly like in most AAA games.
It drives me insane and in some games it's so bad I genuinely just drop the game and stop playing.
Both because it feels like the game treats me like a moron when the character has to point literally EVERYTHING out and also because I hate having people screech in my ear five hundred times a second.

If I want my character to announce moves and objects, I'd play Kingdom Hearts.
100894.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Where does it say dialogue options??
Right here:

"Intelligent Dialog," in which E.A. Motive explains that Isaac's scripted dialogue scenes will include three variations of each line "based on his current state."

Just because they're selected by the CPU and not the user doesn't mean that they're not options.

Duchess

"I really need to get down to the lower decks, but right now I fancy a sit down with a nice cup of tea and a couple of chocolate Hobnobs ..."

nkarafo

Isaak's what?

I don't remember him talking in the original Dead Space. That was added in the sequel.

They are going to ruin it, aren't they?

Swift_Star

Banned
lol shit, maybe in a few gens a RE7-8 remake will have a option for 3rd person or something.

At first I felt it should be optional, and then when playing thru RE7-8 with how the game is made and those scenes play out, I realize it kinda needs to be first person for several things that occur. They'd need to force the camera back in first person for like several scenes.
Don’t think so. You’re not supposed to know what Ethan looks like.

K2D

Banned
NO BUY. Why change the story, script, SFX and gameplay elements? Why??? What old clucks! Just a friendly remind the original devs where really good at making Dead Space on a Tiger Woods golf Engine. They deserve to remake their own game. Don't give EA money for these out of touch geezers. "There's not enough sfx, derp." Why does Issaic need to talk when he heals himself or reloads a weapon? What. Why? Intelligent Dialog? Just shut up. If I want my character to announce moves and objects, I'd play Kingdom Hearts.
Whoa whoa whoa.. There's a game called Horizon that has a lot of spoken inner dialog that need's to know what's up. This game's not even out yet, and there's always the original.

Astral Dog

That's really cool, but I'm still disappointed they're rebooting a story I was very invested in. I'd like to see a continuation from Dead Space 3's ending.
I thought it had a very definitive ending and answers, just because it was not a happy one, but this is an horror series so

Last edited:
Is this the lamest 'enhancement' in video game history?

If he's fatigued, make him move slower and his aim worse

Isaac isn't really even meant to speak. Who does he speak to? Necromorphs?

This isn't a point and click adventure

It's fucking Dead Space. And all humans are fucking deceased on the Ishimura

I'm very confused

Last edited:
I just hope he doesn't fucking talk constantly like in most AAA games.
It drives me insane and in some games it's so bad I genuinely just drop the game and stop playing.
Both because it feels like the game treats me like a moron when the character has to point literally EVERYTHING out and also because I hate having people screech in my ear five hundred times a second.
Came here to say this. I got tired of Control for this reason. People talking all the time and I’m trying to just vibe with the gameplay. I’ve actually started to prefer older games where there’s cutscenes that handle the story and the gameplay has the character mostly silent. People can dunk on older MGS games for having long cutscenes but at least on replays you can skip them all and have fun with the gameplay sections without having to wait on unskippable sections where Snake has to touch his ear and talk for 10 minutes.

OG Dead Space had sections where Isaac got talked at a lot but then for the majority of the level after it was just gameplay and atmosphere and it was great. Now he’ll probably be saying “holy fuck that was nuts” and “hey I should go to the medical bay (5 mins right after another character tells him to, you know to remind the player)” They already kinda did this in 2 and 3, which was already annoying, but I imagine the remake will dial it to 11.

Top Bottom