• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space remake animations need to be fixed!

Kusarigama

Ever since the previews for Dead Space remake dropped, the animations have been really bothering me.

The remake looks so good in other areas, graphics and sound but even the most basic walk animation is so off. There is no sense of weight at all. The plasma cutter/main weapon holding arm just keeps swaying like it's not bearing the weight of the weapon. The legs and upper body seem to have no co-ordination during motion.

Thank fully I found a video on YouTube where the creator talks about the issue. Video will definitely make more impact than just words. Hopefully the Devs fix the animations. I want the remake to be just as awesome as the original.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Doc Rivers GIF by SB Nation

Arachnid

Eh, idk if I agree with all that.

One of his points was how Isaac doesn't really line the cutter up to absorb impact anymore, but he also noted that Isaac only uses one hand to shoot it. Recoil cant be that crazy if Isaac shoots with one hand, so absorption may not be necessary. Remember, the cutter isn't actually a gun. It's a surgical tool. It probably just has incredibly low bounce back. On top of that, there is no need for Isaac to look down sights on it. It literally has three laser sites for precision aiming.

As for the walking, his biggest problem with it is that all the motion comes from the hip with not that much shoulder movement. You don't really need excessive shoulder rotation without animating reciprocal arm movement, and you don't need reciprocal arm movement when holding stuff like guns (you could argue the left arm should, though not necessarily either). Look at Leon in the RE2 gameplay (1:16:35).

He walks the same way Isaac does with the movement coming from his hip (the hip movement on Isaac actually looks fantastic), and it looks good. Leon only has shoulder movement while walking when injured and bracing his arm to his abodomen (which is literally just his hips/abs pulling his arm). I actually prefer the walking animation in the new game since he walks faster/with a purpose (he looks more intentioned, like he's on a mission) vs strolling and looking around like in DS1. I'd argue the movement in DS1 was actually excessive (though you could argue that was to get across how nervous Isaac was in the situation, which is fair).

I do agree that the walking itself doesn't look as planted. Too smooth/floaty, like he said. I would like to feel each step more. I haven't seen the new stomp, so I can't comment on that. The 0G flying also could be improved to pull his limbs more in and brace from the core, like he said. Those are the only thing I'd change. I think he's just too attached to the older animations to like the change for the others though.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I've been feeling that something's off about this since they put out that first gameplay trailer, and janky animations/character movement is definitely a part of it. But I also think the necromorphs and character models look a bit bootlegged too. Everything about the environments and lighting is way more detailed compared to the original but when you put it side by side with Callisto Protocol, the latter just blows this remake out of the water, it's crazy.

If you look at the previous outing from EA Motive - Star Wars Squadrons - it kinda fuels those concerns because the characters models in that game have a very artificial look to them and horrendous lip syncing, and it was the only thing that was really breaking the illusion for me when I played it in VR.

I get the feeling that they haven't improved in their character modelling and animation department since then because even when you look at Kendra in the remake, she has a pretty DEAD FACE.

Last edited:

baphomet

He keeps saying the original had top tier animations, but when he shows them Isaac looks like a hunch back and his gun has recoil that somehow moves his shoulder upwards when firing it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looks like he’s speed walking in the remake. They do need to slow it down.

I don’t really have an issue with the way he’s carrying the gun.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I thought the parts where Isaac is floating in zero gravity looked weird. Like it was a floating corpse instead of a live person. This was something that struck me immediately.

nkarafo

I do wonder though.

I get how the graphics need an update, that's the main reason for a game to be remade. But the animations were pretty much perfect in the original. And it's not something you can improve with better hardware anyway, it's not like how 2D sprite based games had more animation frames the more storage you got. 3D animation could be just as perfect on a PS1 game as it can be on a PS5.

So, couldn't they just use the same code? Why bother only to make things worse?

Last edited:

th4tguy

I do wonder though.

I get how the graphics need an update, that's the main reason for a game to be remade. But the animations were pretty much perfect in the original. And it's not something you can improve with better hardware anyway, it's not like how 2D sprite based games had more animation frames the more storage you got. 3D animation could be just as perfect on a PS1 game as it can be on a PS5.

So, couldn't they just use the same code? Why bother only to make things worse?
Different engine. Different tools for animations and rigging. Wouldn’t be able to just import the old animations. Not unless the new engine was compatible.

nkarafo

Different engine. Different tools for animations and rigging. Wouldn’t be able to just import the old animations. Not unless the new engine was compatible.
Ok but couldn't they copy the animations somehow? Even by just eyeballing them?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nostalgia is eating this guy.
Walking looks ok. shooting too. He is just not hunching like an old guy
Space floating looks a bit jank but they are playing with keyboard. You can see movements snapping

Orpheum

Ever since the gameplay trailer it truly does feel like ...something is off... It's hard to describe but also some of the enemy animations look like they've been rendered at a lower framerate than the game runs. I don't know how to explain. It just seemed kind of choppy.

I'm still excited for this game, maybe i'm just odd but something irks me

Top Bottom