• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Official Teaser Trailer

carlosrox

Banned
Keep consooming, Carlos

Keep being interested in next gen remakes of amazing games?

Yes, I will, thanks.

I’ve never played Dead Space 3 before, but know that it’s the lame duck of the series. Was it still the original team behind the development of that game at the time, with EA overdoing it with all the bad decisions/microtransactions? Or was the original team already splintered off at that point?

The Dead Space 3 hate boner is completely overblown.

It's the worst game in the series (not really saying much as all 3 are great), but it's not like it's some unrecognizable Gears clone or something, and the MTX in the game are nearly invisible. IIRC there is like one prompt ever and a tiny icon at the bottom of the store to buy ammo or some shit.

It isn't fucking Candy Crush. I would love if people stopped acting like the game is some unplayable mess that is nothing like the first two games. Complete bullshit narrative.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

The Dead Space 3 hate boner is completely overblown.

It's the worst game in the series (not really saying much as all 3 are great), but it's not like it's some unrecognizable Gears clone or something, and the MTX in the game are nearly invisible. IIRC there is like one prompt ever and a tiny icon at the bottom of the store to buy ammo or some shit.

It isn't fucking Candy Crush. I would love if people stopped acting like the game is some unplayable mess that is nothing like the first two games. Complete bullshit narrative.

It makes a bad first impression. Beginning is horrible but later it's still a good game and feels like Dead Space.

Last edited:
I played that one, it was a sad, simplification of the console games, you are in for a treat.
For iOS gaming there was nothing like it. It was the first mobile game that actually felt like a real videogame. The controls were perfect and it really made the game stand up, sort of like the first time you played Metroid Prime for the Nintendo DS.

GymWolf

For iOS gaming there was nothing like it. It was the first mobile game that actually felt like a real videogame. The controls were perfect and it really made the game stand up, sort of like the first time you played Metroid Prime for the Nintendo DS.
Yeah that's exactly the point, it was a great game for mobile, i bought the game at day one and enjoyed it, but it was still a mobile game.

Once again, you're in for a treat.

MachRc

I'm so fed up with my thoughts of you.. and your memory
And how every song reminds me of what it used to be..

That's the reason I'm so sick of love songs
So tired of tears
So done with wishing
you were still here
Said, I'm so sick of love songs
So sad and slow
Why can't I turn off the radio?

W6hTy7v.jpg

DU2jipP.png

kinda torn on this. on one hand, it's Dead Space, which I LOVE! on the other hand, it's EA, who literally killed off the Dead Space series and Visceral Games. plus I don't have a PS5 at the moment. guess I'll wait and see.

EDMIX

If it were a remaster there would be no need to hold it off from last-gen (PS4/XB1) as they would easily be able to handle the game.

. . .or is EA not interested in money anymore?

Ok...but we still got remakes last gen though.

The choice of this being a remake doesn't 100% mean it can ONLY be next gen only. As if, ONLY a remaster can be cross gen.

So I don't think its cause EA doesn't like money, I think its cause they realize the quality must be up there and they want to try a different approach. Many solid reasons exist to do next gen only, they might be banking on the install base being way bigger by the time it comes out, they want to compete against other cross gen horror titles that will lack the same polish etc.

but this being a remake imho doesn't tell the full story on why its next gen only, that is a choice made by EA first, they easily could have just said remake it on BOTH cause frostbite literally exist on BOTH PLATFORMS.

Yeah that's exactly the point, it was a great game for mobile, i bought the game at day one and enjoyed it, but it was still a mobile game.

Once again, you're in for a treat.
One thing though is that judging by the teaser and everyone else's comments, it seems Dead Space for consoles is more like an horror game? The mobile game wasn't, it was just action.

carlosrox

Banned
One thing though is that judging by the teaser and everyone else's comments, it seems Dead Space for consoles is more like an horror game? The mobile game wasn't, it was just action.

It got more action horror as the game/series went on but I'd still say it was always a mix of both.

Kuranghi

It looks like they are being really faithful but putting their own spin on it with the change in lighting colour, I'm really excited for this. I recognised the shots straight away in the trailer, but I am replaying it right now in fairness.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Ok...but we still got remakes last gen though.

The choice of this being a remake doesn't 100% mean it can ONLY be next gen only. As if, ONLY a remaster can be cross gen.

. . .not a single person said this. All that was said was that the lack of last generation support clearly meant that they weren't just remastering the game because - again - a remaster would clearly run on a PS4/XB1. That's it. How that wasn't clear beggars belief.

EDMIX

All that was said was that the lack of last generation support clearly meant that they weren't just remastering the game

yea, zero evidence exist to support that.

Frostbite exist on last gen systems too and remakes existed on last gen systems too.

They literally could have just remastered it and it could have been on both platforms.

They could have remade it and did it on both platforms.

A remake or a remaster doesn't explain the "lack of last generation support" because one could still fucking remake a game on BOTH GENERATIONS, FROST BITE EXIST ON BOTH!

The choice to go next gen only is based on EA's choice to do so, not based on them doing a remake. You are trying to make it sound like a remake or a remaster suddenly voids another version, disregarding that they easily could have just made it cross gen as frostbite once again is on both platforms. Lack of last gen systems is not what tells us its a remake bud, EA telling us they won't make a last gen versions of this tells us that. They could have just told us its a remake and will be on all systems though. So where anyone is getting that a remake means next gen only is beyond me.

We got enough remakes last gen to literally show its not something only done on a platform here or there or something weird like that, its a choice of a publisher to do vs the act of it being a remake. So I don't know where you are getting that correlation as is zero remakes existed before this lol

" a remaster would clearly run on a PS4/XB1."

A remake could clearly fucking run on that too as its on frost bite.

Think slow bud.

Lets say they make this shit in 2013 and tell us its a remake using Frostbite, you telling me you don't believe it will exist cause remake can only exist on PS5 and not PS4 or?

They literally could have made PS4 or XONE the lead platform, made a ground up remake using frostbite and released a update for PS5 and Series X or just released on all platforms and it still would be a fucking remake.

Thats like saying Resident Evil 2 or 3 are not remakes cause they are not on PS5 or something weird like that. Where did you get that correlation? Nothing here shows it can only be done as a remake this way or that way, nothing here shows it it would not have last gen systems by default of "remake", like zero, its why I don't understand any of your post as you are trying your best to build this correlation with zero evidence that such a thing MEANS next gen only.

Shit in fact, I'd argue the damn response of the thread being surprised its next gen only, shows the idea that cross gen was assumed, believed to be, expected etc. No one here is telling us this is the default man, many of us are surprised as we exected EA to do full cross gen to make as much money as they could.

That is a choice the company made sir, that is not by default of being a remake.

Prove the point and build the correlation.

Last edited:
If it's a faithful remake of DS1, then perhaps.

After multiple people I respect tell me EA kept its fuckery out of it, Frostbite is doing that no favors.

I agree, but EA since has many many, many changes though. I'd assume this is one of em.

We can't just be like "EA doesn't listen to fans" and beg for a remaster or remake and then get mad when they listen and make remasters and remakes.....

Keep in mind, many more made money on REMASTERS then full on, expensive, NEXT GEN ONLY remakes in different engines. If this was all for the $$$ EA could have just did a remaster and not a remake as that is what the majority does btw and been like "remasters, 60fps 4k, on 14 platforms" lol That makes more sense if its JUST for the $$$, it wouldn't be a remake, wouldn't be next gen only etc

EA originally did a lot of things when last gen started, many of which they reversed and changed which I feel is for the better.

I posted some article on what they said in 2015 on that thread about Skate.

edit.

If EA was ONLY about the money at all times, why do this? Think about it, when you say "everyone started making $$ on them" you make it seem as if EA didn't now remasters made money... last gen was not the first generation for ports or remasters though, so nothing in that really makes sense.

They know remasters exist and make money, they make waaaay too much money to even argue otherwise, more like EA felt their attention was better focused on new games. Keep in mind, as much as I'd love a update of many games as remasters, a collection etc, I actually agreed with what EA stated at this time.

I'm also ok with them changing their minds and doing those collections, remake Dead Space etc. So I don't see it as a "they learned remasters can make money" lol They already knew that when they made that choice to focus on new content vs just ports last gen and I Think it was wise they did. I'm ok with this happneing right now as now it can be a NEXT GEN remake vs a last gen one.

I'm sure many gamers would agree with that mind you.

speaking of new IP and EA, looks like Respawn are building a new IP right now.

EDMIX

speaking of new IP and EA, looks like Respawn are building a new IP right now.

Facts!

I was going to actually state that earlier, but felt the point was made lol

So EA seems more open to new IP, but I Think they've been for a few years , they just needed to green light and ok projects etc.

They wanted to do some big open world action type thing as I'm surprised EA of all companies didn't jump on that open world craze lol I mean...they see that GTA money, yet they decide to not do it, maybe they don't feel any developers they have can pull it off well enough and need to build a team around it, buy a team etc. So I think for this new IP, EA felt ReSpawn does new IPs very well and was a easy green light.

Medal Of Honor
Call Of Duty
Titan Fall
Apex
Star Wars FO

They knock new IPs out of the park so I'm hype for what they make. An ace team.

edit. Here it is.

So I think they still likely want that, but are looking for the right team or something. EA not jumping on the open world trend like Ubisoft is as shocking as them not doing much remasters last gen lol Like...the fuck? EA is like the king of "we see this shit trending, better follow it" and yet didn't do either. Maybe they felt it was too much risk, they didn't have a team for it, they want to beat GTA etc, who knows.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Oh, so remake = Original + piss filter.

I understand where you are coming from but can no one ever again colour grade a game with yellow or orange as the base without you thinking its a "piss filter"? I mean, if everyone had gone all green back in the days when they did the "piss filter" instead of orange/yellow would you be just saying its a "gunge filter" instead? Seems like a criticism with no substance if I'm honest.

Help me understand why its an inherently bad thing aside from that it reminds you of those old days, I'm willing to change my mind if you give a good argument, fair enough if you haven't thought about it that deeply though and don't care to. Thats not meant to be a shitty comment either, please don't take it that way, there are plenty of things I dislike without concrete reasons, like music.

nkarafo

I understand where you are coming from but can no one ever again colour grade a game with yellow or orange as the base without you thinking its a "piss filter"? I mean, if everyone had gone all green back in the days when they did the "piss filter" instead of orange/yellow would you be just saying its a "gunge filter" instead? Seems like a criticism with no substance if I'm honest.

Help me understand why its an inherently bad thing aside from that it reminds you of those old days, I'm willing to change my mind if you give a good argument, fair enough if you haven't thought about it that deeply though and don't care to. Thats not meant to be a shitty comment either, please don't take it that way, there are plenty of things I dislike without concrete reasons, like music.
It's just that this yellow/orange filter looks so bad to me. The "before" pics look so much better. Dead Space already had the right mood, it doesn't need this kind of treatment.

Plus, they did overuse this for so many racing games back in the 360/PS3 era. So i'm so sick of it. I remember some of these games being ported on PC and the first thing i would do was finding a way to disable it with a mod or by altering a config file. After that the games looked soooo much better. I really don't understand the artistic value of the piss filter. It adds nothing and takes away a lot. Unless your game takes place on Mars or a desert or something.

Kuranghi

It's just that this yellow/orange filter looks so bad to me. The "before" pics look so much better. Dead Space already had the right mood, it doesn't need this kind of treatment.

Plus, they did overuse this for so many racing games back in the 360/PS3 era. So i'm so sick of it. I remember some of these games being ported on PC and the first thing i would do was finding a way to disable it with a mod or by altering a config file. After that the games looked soooo much better. I really don't understand the artistic value of the piss filter. It adds nothing and takes away a lot. Unless your game takes place on Mars or a desert or something.

Thanks for a civil reply, I agree the old style fits more to me, its more clinical and I prefer it. I'm willing to see what the full package looks like though.

Caffeine

hopefully they bring back some ideas that may have been cut from the original xbox build. ready for a reimagining dead space went in a bad direction the first time, and its one of the best new ip's created during that gen.

carlosrox

Banned
Dino Ignacio on board as a consultant. It's not Schofield or Papoutsis but it's definitely something and good to hear EA is taking it seriously. They'd be crazy not to. This is a good will project and I'm sure they know they need to get it right. I have absolute faith in this.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Struggling to understand why we need a full remake of a 13 year old game that still looks and plays absolutely fine. It's not like they're gonna reinvent it like RE2.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh, so remake = Original + piss filter.
Piss filter?
You do see the warm light there right?
I have these bulbs here at home. 2700k and they were warm as fuck. I've got all 4000k bulbs because it was too warm.
But that ain't no piss filter.
You probably hate motion blur too, don't you? and fov if I had to bet... cmon

carlosrox

Banned
Struggling to understand why we need a full remake of a 13 year old game that still looks and plays absolutely fine. It's not like they're gonna reinvent it like RE2.

I dunno, I kinda see this as a next gen (2 gens later) Dead Space Director's cut.

My biggest concern actually is the character and voice stuff. It was perfect the first time around. Keep the same voices, get the same voice actors back, or new cast? Definitely want the same voices either way, especially since this remake seems to wanna be as faithful as possible. Redo with same actors could be cool.

They shouldn't cut anything out and only add new stuff. The flight controls from 2/3 are a good choice BUT I also still liked the controls from 1. But I get it.

• Empathy
Reactions: AV

carlosrox

Banned
Yeah, ok pretty sure I won't like them. I hope they change it to action like the mobile game.

They have enough action, trust me. If you like the mobile game (which was cool) I have no idea why you wouldn't like a way better version of it. All 3 of them. And they get more action as the games/series goes.

It's definitely action horror. Like I don't get how anyone would love the mobile game and for some reason not like the real thing.

If you like action that much play 2 or 3 or something. But like, this is weird. Just play the real thing lol. Try it.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Well, it's finally happening. The sudden demise of Dead Space and Visceral Games was a tough pill to swallow when it happened nearly a decade ago, and honestly, it still stings. Fans have been clamouring for a Dead Space revival, especially with the survival horror genre having enjoyed the kind of resurgence it has in the last few years- and yes, after several weeks of consistent leaks and rumours, it's been confirmed that the original Dead Space is indeed being remade by EA Motive, the studio behind Star Wars: Squadrons.

Though the game's announcement trailer was brief and didn't give much away, many new details on it have emerged since then, particularly in an interview with the developers published by IGN. As such, here, we're going to go over some of the most interesting pieces of information that have emerged on the Dead Space remake.

They have enough action, trust me. If you like the mobile game (which was cool) I have no idea why you wouldn't like a way better version of it. All 3 of them. And they get more action as the games/series goes.

It's definitely action horror. Like I don't get how anyone would love the mobile game and for some reason not like the real thing.

If you like action that much play 2 or 3 or something. But like, this is weird. Just play the real thing lol. Try it.
Because I don't like horror games. If the console games are horror games then I won't like them.

Top Bottom