• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space, Mass Effect and ZELDA as an Isometric games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Isometric Zelda is on the way. One day. Hurry up Tunic.

Tunic.jpg

I think Deadspace would lose the sense of isolation, paranoia and claustrophobia this way, and the loss of the dismemberment system would be a massive downgrade, but Mass Effect would be bloody awesome.

It's actually a shame EA would never take this approach with a Mass Effect sequel, since it would necessitate a much lower budget and therefore allow it to cater to a smaller, dedicated RPG audience and still make a profit.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Everything is better with isometric view.
They look absolutely fabolous.
Except gameplay :messenger_beaming:

Isometric is nice for shooters and strategy, but as soon as jumping is required, isometric can become a nightmare.

I recently gave a shot at Landstalker on Mega Drive, but just judging the height of a platform is so much harder than it has any right to be. It’s worse than older games in the same style (isometric NES games from Rare played so much better in comparison).

There’s a reason isometric went out of fashion almost as soon as we got better ways of representing a three-dimensional space. It’s having a bit of a renaissance but this is largely because modern gameplay is much more lenient, allowing for more enjoyable games. The isometric Lara Croft games were good (Guardian of Light is excellent), but they’d be disastrous if their gameplay required the same surgical precision and twitchy movement as Solstice or Snake Rattle ‘n Roll.

GymWolf

Except gameplay :messenger_beaming:

Isometric is nice for shooters and strategy, but as soon as jumping is required, isometric can become a nightmare.

I recently gave a shot at Landstalker on Mega Drive, but just judging the height of a platform is so much harder than it has any right to be. It’s worse than older games in the same style (isometric NES games from Rare played so much better in comparison).

There’s a reason isometric went out of fashion almost as soon as we got better ways of representing a three-dimensional space. It’s having a bit of a renaissance but this is largely because modern gameplay is much more lenient, allowing for more enjoyable games. The isometric Lara Croft games were good (Guardian of Light is excellent), but they’d be disastrous if their gameplay required the same surgical precision and twitchy movement as Solstice or Snake Rattle ‘n Roll.
Fair point, but i just love isometricc view.

Top Bottom