• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space is amazing so far!

Cutty Flam

Banned
Two playthroughs and 100% completed it, with all achievements. I played Dead Space until it sickened and depressed me and I could no longer have anything to do with it. I started it up for a 3rd playthrough just for the fuck of it (never intended to play it a third time but did it just to see) and I felt nothing. Felt empty and numb and depressed just looking at it lol. Played so much that I couldn't have anything to do with it anymore haha

One hell of a game, I'll never forget it

mcz117chief

You feel like you’re not a super human, but a blue collar worker with just a sense of survival to make it to the end.
While carrying an entire arsenal of insanely destructive weapons, instant healing, time stopping energy tool, and power armor that makes you almost invincible and able to tear enemies apart with your bare hands...yeah, your average "blue collar worker" :D Dead Space is a power fantasy, you are an unstoppable juggernaut even on the higher difficulties. There is no enemy in the game that can be considered even a minimal threat, you just stasis them and slaughter them effortlessly. I haven't died even once in the game, it is just that easy.

regawdless

Banned
Such a great game, glad you're enjoying it. What are you playing it on?

If you like it and have an average PC, I'd highly recommend Dead Space 2 as well. Runs great and looks still pretty good when you use high resolutions.

Such a great game, glad you're enjoying it. What are you playing it on?

If you like it and have an average PC, I'd highly recommend Dead Space 2 as well. Runs great and looks still pretty good when you use high resolutions.
Any good mods / reshades that you can maybe recommend?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dead Space was the first game that I thought might be a survival horror alternative to RE after 4, and it didn’t disappoint me. Great game. I’m still really fond of the sound design. It added a lot to that world.

SkylineRKR

Dead space is great, I've been playing 2 on series S. But really, the IQ and framerate could use a clean up. It holds up perfectly otherwise.

Tsukumo

In game map. Hud on the character himself. In game inventory. No cg. Everything narrated in game without a single cutscene. Scientology satire. Good kind of jumpscare.
What a game! And Dead Space 2 looks insane on series Sex.

Mokus

Imagine if Bluepoint would remake the game.

55d2e7ed14ac0df65b3e79f267f37a5d.jpg

Impotaku

really wish the first 2 games would be brought back i loved the atmosphere of both. Sure i could dig out the 360 to replay but remasters would be perfect as the games are still a lot of fun i still remember unlocking the secret weapon. Man what a slog that was but totally worth it for the bang bang pew pew pew sound effects loool. Once you get that though the game loses all it's horror as everything dies with one shot even the bosses.

dan76

Ill echo what everyone has been saying and it's great. Youre lucky to be experiencing it for the first time. I'm about halfway through 3 at the moment, classic mode. Whilst not as good as the first two I can't help thinking that if it was released today it would be scoring way higher than it did originally. It's amazing.

GrayChild

Honestly, I found it a bit overrated. Mostly due to how samey the encounters tend to be (a far cry from RE4, TEW and even something like Alan Wake), as well as the overabundance of cheap and ineffective jump scares.

It looks, sounds and controls great tho.

The first one is great. It pretty telling a lot of hard work went into it. Visceral really wanted to impress. EA seriously had no clue how good they had it. While the second is neat (I'm playing it right now, going for a "hard to the core"-trophy run), they mindlessly mismanaged it into becoming primarily an action shooter.

For a brief while, EA had something that was a very, very strong contender to Resident evil's crown.

Last edited:

pr0cs

play the sequel too, on PC with all settings maxxed it's still a very pretty and very scary game, holds up well to most current gen games.

Dead Space is a great game indeed. Never made it through all of 2. I somehow grow tired of the formula half way through everytime.

Mastering the combat is really fun as well and you become less and less scared because you master how to deal with the most common enemies. The enemy variety is great however and you will always be on your toes for the next horror.

I likened RE2 to DS1 and RE4 to DS2.

For me the change to an action pace "eliminate this area full of enemies" thing just got old quick.

DS1 and RE2 had that sense of plodding fear, not knowing what's coming up next or what would happen.

DS2 and RE4 was more like "I'm the zombie Rambo and I'm here to fuck shit up"

kyussman

Indeed!
If they can remaster the Mass Effect games they can do Dead Space 1 and 2 as well.....I believe there was a third game too,but lets not go there,lol.

Self

I absolutely agree that Dead Space 1 is a dime. But from there on the series went down the hill.

jonnyXx

Playing on PC with the Steam controller for gyro aiming! The graphics are fantastic from a 2008 game, would've thought it was a PS4/Xbox One game if noone told me
I played through Dead Space 1 and 2 recently with gyro aiming but using a DualShock 4. It was awesome.

Now imagine how great it would be if they remade the first game for PS5 with support for the DualSense features. One can only dream.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Two playthroughs and 100% completed it, with all achievements. I played Dead Space until it sickened and depressed me and I could no longer have anything to do with it. I started it up for a 3rd playthrough just for the fuck of it (never intended to play it a third time but did it just to see) and I felt nothing. Felt empty and numb and depressed just looking at it lol. Played so much that I couldn't have anything to do with it anymore haha

One hell of a game, I'll never forget it

Ha! This describes most of my time trying to play games these days.
Though it has highlighted the fact that Bungie's Halo really did have some secret sauce. I've been addicted all week long and actually played before work, which is something I did before school when I was younger and super into games.

And yeah, Dead Space is awesome. It's one of the few "enhanced" games I've checked out since I've set up my Series X and the game still holds up fantastically. Dead Space 2 feels a bit more refined and has some awesome visuals & zero-g mechanics, leading it to be my favorite in the series.

Last edited:

DogofWar

I likened RE2 to DS1 and RE4 to DS2.

For me the change to an action pace "eliminate this area full of enemies" thing just got old quick.

DS1 and RE2 had that sense of plodding fear, not knowing what's coming up next or what would happen.

DS2 and RE4 was more like "I'm the zombie Rambo and I'm here to fuck shit up"

While RE4 is miles better than Dead Space 2 I agree.
In Dead Space you the simple fear of isolation (in space no one can hear you scream) is part of the horror. The few people (or rather voices) you hear and see are so few and far between, and something is always uncanny anyway. In Dead Space 2 you have some chick talking with you in the intercom and another chick running around shooting stuff. More action indeed, and the game did not really gain from it.

Maybe the formula itself was also just enough for one game for me. Which I hold in high regard. When you realize that you are simply in the habit to dismembering everything as much as possible you find you realize the game has affected you quite a lot hehe!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Those first 2 games are really something special. I think you could make the claim they are they best horror shooters ever made.

Coconutt

As much as I dislike EA I would jump at a Dead Space collection or remake in a heartbeat, as much flak as Dead Space 3 gets I still enjoyed it for what it was.

DemWalls

It is indeed great. Played all three games back to back a couple of years ago, and I liked all of them, though I cannot deny that for me the series peaked at the first entry. I liked DS2 less than many other people, and DS3 more, so they're pretty much equal in my book, with the former having just a slight edge. I should replay DS2, I think I may not have appreciated it as much as it deserves due to external factors at the time (life, personal losses, that kind of stuff).

And I agree that they all hold up surprisingly well, visually, which is obviously even more impressive for the first game. Visceral was a very talented group of people, a shame PapEA had to do what it does best.

WoJ

Was going to make a LTTP thread, but saw this one and figured I'd bump it since it wasn't from that long ago. I played Dead Space over Christmas and holy smokes did I fall in love with the game. The atmosphere and the gameplay were smooth as butter. Very rarely do I finish games and want to go back to replay them right away, but this was one of them.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Loved it. Couldnt get enough. Apart from that unkillable shithead, it spoiled it somewhat for me..

Other than that, top notch.

skit_data

I remember playing this and not realizing how to reload the plasmacutter, so i figured i was out of ammo. Ended up with me beating the crap out of every necromorph with my bare fist for about 45 mins before suddenly reloading by mistake.
I love the first and the second game but it never really felt as scary compared to those first 45 minutes of meleeing those damn bastards. I felt overpowered at all times after that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom