• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space hands-on details – Upgraded and expanded horror gameplay

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm sorry but the whole remake just looks like a shiny dick to me. Using the original as a foundation and then adding things to make the environment more "fuller". Maybe I shouldn't take this stance as I haven't followed it much, but if they don't add more content or mechanics then it's nothing more than a shiny dick pretending to be more worthwhile.
1Y7VjX.gif

SSfox

I'm sorry but i have to bring TLOU remake again, it already felt like a lazy unnecessary remake that bring nothing, but it feels even more when you see stuffs being added to Dead Space Remake

Hugare

My mans Hugare Hugare still think it doesnt look that much better than the original and that they only just touched up the environments?
Still think Isaacs suit is the same just shinier?
You said no nostalgia eyes, but these screenshot above clearly you had nostalgia goggles on if you think this remake doesnt look like they did much work on the environments.

The lighting and volumetrics alone are probably worth the price of admission.
The amount of work they have done transforming the environments, the shader work, extended gameplay sections/options.
I gotta give it to them....this is quite impressive.
It's a big leap in some scenes, in others not so much. Especially compared to Dead Space 2. The first one aged well, but Dead Space 2 aged much better.

Never said stuff like "Isaac's suit is just shinier", man lol

It looks good, I'll buy it day one, but I still think that they could have done much more as a current gen only game. I still think that Callisto looks much better overrall

Animations still doesnt look right (from the gameplay videos that they've released). With the plasma cutter he doesnt move his head down while aiming, for example.

What really excites me tho are changes to the story and no loading screens. Things that go way beyond a graphical facelift.

Last edited:

Ristifer

I'm sorry but the whole remake just looks like a shiny dick to me. Using the original as a foundation and then adding things to make the environment more "fuller". Maybe I shouldn't take this stance as I haven't followed it much, but if they don't add more content or mechanics then it's nothing more than a shiny dick pretending to be more worthwhile.
What are these “shiny dicks” of which you speak?

Azurro

Banned

Excuse me, I'd like you to sit here with me and tell me more about these "shiny dicks" that you are dreaming about. Are dicks supposed to shine? What kind of dicks are you exposed to? Do you regularly look at multiple dicks and classify them between regular and shiny?

Yahzi

Neo Member
This intensity director sounds like a good idea but Dead Space 1 is mechanically the worst in the series, with very low enemy diversity. "Creating dread" doesn't work if you are fighting the same enemy for the 500th time.
Sure, but the goal is to be unpredictable, not repetitive. To keep the tension high. We don't know how well this will be implemented, so it's anyone's guess, but the possibilities are endless.

It's possible they might not spawn the same enemies. I read an article from the developers where they say in one scenario it's possible the lights may flicker, or the lights may go out and nothing else happens, or enemies crawl through the vents in areas you've already traversed, or you hear spooky sounds to racket up the tension, or all of the above.

I guess just the idea makes me excited. I can envision how it might play out, but execution is another thing altogether.

Kusarigama

The only thing that is bothering me is the weird walk animation. Rest other animations look fine. But that normal walk animation looks like Isaac is incredibly clumsy/unstable. Am I the only one who feels that?

GenericUser

I like how they chose the lowest of the low res, no detail PC version for the "remake vs. original" comparison early in the video. Really shows their confidence in their product.

Last edited:

ILHASS

The only thing that is bothering me is the weird walk animation. Rest other animations look fine. But that normal walk animation looks like Isaac is incredibly clumsy/unstable. Am I the only one who feels that?
Not only it's looking weird it's just too fast like he is in rush. It's breaking immersion. Like he is don't give a damn about whats going on around him. I hope it will be fixed in final build.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Not only it's looking weird it's just too fast like he is in rush. It's breaking immersion. Like he is don't give a damn about whats going on around him. I hope it will be fixed in final build.
When they first showed the gameplay in April or so, they said everything including the animations were not final, so i thought may be they'll improve it. But now that they are doing press previews with the same walk animation I am little worried. I truly hope they fix that, it is too jarring

Arachnid

Holy shit @ the damage system on the necros! The contact beam shredded all the meat off the bottom half of that necro leaving just bones and some rib cage, and that thing was still running at Isaac. This game makes RE2s damage system look last gen by comparison. The damage system also has a use to it. It functions almost as a health bar, kind of like Isaacs built in rig.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned

Holy shit @ the damage system on the necros! The contact beam shredded all the meat off the bottom half of that necro leaving just bones and some rib cage, and that thing was still running at Isaac. This game makes RE2s damage system look last gen by comparison. The damage system also has a use to it. It functions almost as a health bar, kind of like Isaacs built in rig.

This looks quite good - much better than I imagined. I'll wait for this to hit gamepass however.

Dr.Morris79

Yep, thats the one. I'm in. Looks like I'm going back to the ishimura once again

..This time to rescue Isaacs nan I guess, it'll do though.

Top Bottom