• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space clone: Negative Atmosphere.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://ww.reddit.com/r/NegativeAtmosphere/

https://www.patreon.com/negativeatmosphere

What is this game?

Negative Atmosphere is being developed using Unreal Engine 4 and has been in development for 5 months. It is a new IP inspired by many sci-fi and non sci-fi horror games and 3rd person shooters.

It is set in a universe in the midst of a cold war, in which A.I has been achieved via the use of organic processing cores, you play as a 49-year-old ex-combat medic called Samuel Edwards, aboard the long-range cargo and haulage ship the TRH Rusanov, after after a mysterious sickness spreads across the ship causing all the robots and personnel to mutate and deform into hideous creatures that are hell-bent on the destruction of all the organisms around them. You must escape, fighting your way through your former crewmates, rogue and sentient artificial constructs and the environmental hazards the Rusanov presents. As you progress throughout the game, your mental state will deteriorate and the hallucinations will set in.

The game features a limited ammo economy, dynamic level events - TBA-, a vast assortment of melee and projectile weaponry, drones and robots which can be fought or hacked, a non-invasive stealth system, zero-g movement, holographic world space UI - with an ECG heart rate monitor on the back which changes in speed and colour as your health deteriorates, a dynamic damage system - your character gets visually changed with blood stains, scars, open wounds, dismemberment etc, as your health decreases - and much much more to be revealed in the demo.

The project is in early pre-alpha development. All media seen is subject to change and not representative of the final product.

We are not a Dead Space clone or official successor. We have not plagiarized any material or used any assets from Dead Space in Negative Atmosphere. No copyrighted assets, designs, characters, names, stories or lore associated with Dead Space or other titles is utilized in our product.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We will make sure this is clear with the release of our demo.

When is the release date & what platforms will it be on?
There is no set release date, with the project being in pre-alpha stages, but we aim for the demo to be out sometime in 2019, with the Kickstarter to follow shortly afterwards.

We aim to release the game on PC, Mac & Linux first and then depending on funding, release on consoles and other platforms

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I love the games get inspiration from Dead Space and I always welcome more third person survival horror but this game is just copying Dead Space down to the suite design.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love the games get inspiration from Dead Space and I always welcome more third person survival horror but this game is just copying Dead Space down to the suite design.

Yup. It's like looking in a mirror. The hallway is cool to show off what they're making, but games like Dead Space can still be played again. That robot reminds me of Dr. Samuel Hayden from DOOM.

Meted

That's a bit on the nose in term of copying, like cease & desist territory.
is EA the kind to cease and desist someone from making a game similar to a game that they are not continuing with? And until it's proven that it is actually copied it doesn't matter so long as it's original work

Geki-D

Banned
is EA the kind to cease and desist someone from making a game similar to a game that they are not continuing with? And until it's proven that it is actually copied it doesn't matter so long as it's original work
I'm not sure if they actually would but I'm pretty sure they'd have a case to at least worn the devs they have to make the differences more obvious. I mean looking at those videos, they might not be reusing actual assets but they've almost remade them 1:1.

Meted

I'm not sure if they actually would but I'm pretty sure they'd have a case to at least worn the devs they have to make the differences more obvious. I mean looking at those videos, they might not be reusing actual assets but they've almost remade them 1:1.
I don't know how these things work exactly but I remember when shadow of mordor trailers came out and someone who worked on assassins creed said they ripped the animations from that. Never heard anything further

Geki-D

Banned
I don't know how these things work exactly but I remember when shadow of mordor trailers came out and someone who worked on assassin's creed said they ripped the animations from that. Never heard anything further
This goes way further than just animation though, you could look at the SoM trailer and say "those animations look similar to AC" but you couldn't say "Am I watched a trailer for a new AC game right now"?

This game copies the graphic look, animations, genre, combat, artstyle, UI and i'm guessing a few other things.

Meted

This goes way further than just animation though, you could look at the SoM trailer and say "those animations look similar to AC" but you couldn't say "Am I watched a trailer for a new AC game right now"?

This game copies the graphic look, animations, genre, combat, artstyle, UI and i'm guessing a few other things.
I'm not disagreeing. I'm just stating that I don't think they are doing anything illegal without further investigation

Orpheum

Okay cool. It looks almost 1:1 the the same but i'd actually play it. It's among my favorite franchises and was probably, as far as i remember, the last game series i played from EA.

The Shepard

It sure does look like dead space, I'll keep an eye on this. It's a shame ea are to busy thinking of ways to extort money out of there player Base instead of making quality games these days to bother with a proper sequel to the first 2 dead space games as they were both Excellent. The third was a sign in which the company was heading. I'd love a new one in the first bite engine.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
"We are not a Dead Space clone or official successor."
have they looked at themselves
I gotta say, I'm a huge Dead Space fan and would love more, but I don't think shooting to be so identical to that IP is going to serve them well. It'll probably feel like "Dead Space but worse."

ookami

Looks interesting. I hope they'll be able to achieve what they're aiming for with UE4.
I just fear that displaying the player health in the back of the character as they do is maybe a bit too much like Dead Space and could be a problem.

Deuterium

I hope the developer isn't going overboard with the pitch-dark, ultra low-no light conditions. Dead Space certainly had low light environments...but for most of the action, scenes and environments, you could at least see more than 2-feet in front of you. In fact, as I recall, you often were able to engage enemies across a large room or far down a long corridor, even though the over-all light levels were low.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
noticia-facebook-fans-de-spiderman-recrean-clasico-meme-antes-de-ver-avengers-infinity-war-portada.png

The main character is Clark Asimov

Negative Atmosphere
How clunky is that title?

Could be better "Dead in the space"

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned
I started Dead Space 2 again after beating the RE2make. I forgot how linear it was. I think Dead Space would have really benefited from some backtracking like the classic RE games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I actually didn’t mind Deadspace 3. The part of the game that took place before they arrived on the planet, I thought was quite good.

I never cared much for DS2 as I felt it tried too hard to scare and was very cheap in some places.

TacosNSalsa

I am considering getting into the series after stumbling across a particularly interesting lore series and a "Why you wouldn't survive..." video. Did the 3rd one bring closure to the series or is it stuck on limbo?

I have a dead space spiritual sucessor in my mind. But instead of space it's the depths of the ocean. Lovecraftian, some sort of sanity mechanic. I wish i could make it reality.
@Topic
No, thanks. If i wanted dead space i could still play 1 and 2. 3 sucks by the way.

shinkai

Love what I'm seeing, but they need to find another name. Reminds me of that RE clone from a while back called Daymare: 1998.

While the game looks competent and well made (if a little too similar to dead space, copyright issues?), the name is wiiU levels of disaster. Change name or this won't sell for shit.

Last edited:
I hate to be pedantic, but you can't have negative atmosphere. You can have no atmosphere though.

Edit: I don't actually hate to be pedantic.

Last edited:

ookami

I wish they'd find another smart way to display health on the back of the character. Dead Space did it interestingly. Well, it is still the least of the problems they might encounter.

I remember early WIPs on the subreddit about almost a year ago. I'm so damn impressed at how you guys got the feel even just by that trailer.

sol_bad

The enemies are a bit boring looking but looks interesting otherwise. Unreal Engine, Epic store exclusive?

Top Bottom