• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3's Narrative continues to haunt me... in the worst way. *spoilers*

Garlador

DS3 was a game filled with so missed opportunities, its not funny.

I tried to defend them when they said ammo was universal, added in micro-transactions. "It's ok" I reasoned, "They adding in crafting, it'll balance out!" - It didn't.

I tried to defend them when they turned Ellie from a resourceful, witty human being in DS2 to a model (LOOK AT THOSE BOOBS DUDE!!111!) and placed her in a relationship with Isaac, who had seen FAR too much to even think about romance at that point.
"It's fine, just a cosmetic re-design, she'll still be the crafty, down-to-earth lady she was in DS2 - She wasn't.

Those are my biggest complaints, because honestly, I played the game once, and called it a day. Didn't touch the DLC even though the thought of the Moons was intriguing. I don't remember the finer details TBH.

The Flotilla was an awesome idea and so was Tau Volantis. Unraveling the mystery on the planet could've been handled so much better though. It really should have been them being stalked, a real "The Thing" kind of vibe, but they had to dial up the action to 11. SMH
An early example of this a friend pointed out was when your ship is damaged and everything is exploding. It's all action. He was going, "man, can you imagine how intense this would be if you had to go SLOWLY over the cracking glass, the void of space on the other side? Instead, the game just rushes you through it."

He was right. A thriller moment replaced with just action. A missed opportunity. The game really could be salvaged if they approached it like DS1. The framework is there.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I loved Dead Space 1, it's actually my favorite survival horror game. I found Dead Space 2 to be solid but a bit rote. Dead Space 1 was a fantastic survival horror game with excellent atmosphere and really fun mechanics. Dead Space 2 was basically more of the same. So much so, that it felt like I'd seen everything it had to offer before when I played DS1. It had some good moments and I really liked Ellie as a character, the story was pretty solid, but I left the game a bit unfulfilled because it just felt so... inessential. It wasn't a bad game by any means, but I kinda expected a bit more from it.

As for Dead Space 3? I've avoided playing it so far, because I was already disappointed by one of the actually well-liked Dead Space games. If I was disappointed by DS2, I can't even imagine how I'll end up feeling about DS3. I'm going to get to it eventually, but I'm just so hesitant to do so. Plus, knowing how the story goes (I went into DS1 and 2 blind. 3, a friend of mine complained about the majority of it to me a while back) I'm not even sure if it'll be worth the ride.

How are Extraction and the DS2 DLC? Are they worth a look?

Garlador

I loved Dead Space 1, it's actually my favorite survival horror game. I found Dead Space 2 to be solid but a bit rote. Dead Space 1 was a fantastic survival horror game with excellent atmosphere and really fun mechanics. Dead Space 2 was basically more of the same. So much so, that it felt like I'd seen everything it had to offer before when I played DS1. It had some good moments and I really liked Ellie as a character, the story was pretty solid, but I left the game a bit unfulfilled because it just felt so... inessential. It wasn't a bad game by any means, but I kinda expected a bit more from it.

As for Dead Space 3? I've avoided playing it so far, because I was already disappointed by one of the actually well-liked Dead Space games. If I was disappointed by DS2, I can't even imagine how I'll end up feeling about DS3. I'm going to get to it eventually, but I'm just so hesitant to do so. Plus, knowing how the story goes (I went into DS1 and 2 blind. 3, a friend of mine complained about the majority of it to me a while back) I'm not even sure if it'll be worth the ride.

Yes. Yes they absolutely are.

Spinky

Extraction was probably maybe the best thing about DS3, possibly? It's been a while but I remember it being a little stronger than most of the campaign, still never came close to the first two games though.

From what I remember I think it actually attempted to be scary too, although it wasn't really that successful.

nded

Extraction was probably maybe the best thing about DS3, possibly? It's been a while but I remember it being a little stronger than most of the campaign, still never came close to the first two games though.

From what I remember I think it actually attempted to be scary too, although it wasn't really that successful.

Are you talking about Awakened?

AwShucks

I enjoyed DS3 but it did disappoint as a Dead Space game. The co-op actually had some decent bits. I lived Carver going bananas and Isaac not seeing the same things. Elton John threw things off but a few or the areas were great. Especially the derelict space ship.

I love the world of Dead Space. The books and comics are great (especially the first book). The imagery is fantastic (wife had an image of a marker from the comic printed poster sized for me, hangs in my office). I really miss Dead Space.

KDC720

I think Dead Space 1 and 2 are some of the finest action-horror games ever made, but 3 was such a step down in so many ways.

I enjoyed it for what it was, and it did have some really great parts, but it always felt like the game Visceral was told to make rather than the one they wanted to make.

I think Dead Space 1 and 2 are some of the finest action-horror games ever made, but 3 was such a step down in so many ways.

I enjoyed it for what it was, and it did have some really great parts, but it always felt like the game Visceral was told to make rather than the one they wanted to make.

This is probably the perfect descriptor for it. This game has a lot of great ideas, but it lacks passion. It feels formulaic, and it doesn't 'feel' like Dead Space.

I have a lot of narrative ideas sketched out over the past while of how I would have liked to have done it.

DS1 is a masterpiece. DS2 is just a good shooter. DS3 is an even better shooter but a failure in everything else.
That's similar to how I felt. Dead Space 1 stands head and shoulders above any survival horror game since RE4 for me.

DS2 was more of a shooter, and although I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was particularly memorable.

DS3 was way more of an action game, but I enjoyed it. I actually think I enjoyed it more than DS2, although for very different reasons.

Ultimately I enjoyed all of the games, and would like to see more, but Dead Space 1 was the jewel in the crown. Adored that game.

Cracklox

Pretty much agree OP. Love the first 2 games and was liking 3 until we got to the ice planet. It was cool at first I guess, but got old pretty quickly. I didn't even end up finishing it. Ran out of steam in the last chapter or 2 and it sits there likely to never be finished.

I will say I loved the semi open space environments in the first half. They really nailed the moving around in zero G. Made me really yearn for an open world Dead Space, maybe set in an asteroid belt somewhere. Could be a nice spin on the getting slightly stale, open world format. Though 3 didn't do too well and I've heard no word of them continuing the series so I probably shouldn't hold out hope.

Experien

That's similar to how I felt. Dead Space 1 stands head and shoulders above any survival horror game since RE4 for me.

DS2 was more of a shooter, and although I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was particularly memorable.

DS3 was way more of an action game, but I enjoyed it. I actually think I enjoyed it more than DS2, although for very different reasons.

Ultimately I enjoyed all of the games, and would like to see more, but Dead Space 1 was the jewel in the crown. Adored that game.

I think DS2 was only memorable for me because I Platinum'd it. That means beating it on HARDCORE mode, two saves for the entire game on a difficult setting. I remember right where I saved it too.

Of course, I'd love to see more but it is long dead with everyone having moved from EA now.

Carter is secretly the best part of the game if you play as him in co-op.

But yeah other than that the game is basically a 15 hour long hallway of missed opportunities and horrible forced plot resolution.

Gravidee

I also thought it was dumb that they didn't use Lexine in any meaningful way. Clearly they were building her story up to something, but we haven't seen it yet and perhaps never will, at least in the near future. I'm waiting for that moment when Isaac learns that he wasn't the only one to have survived the Ishimura.

It was weird for me to see only Player 2 can see the fully DS3 experience and the player 1 just see empty spaces and just hearing how Player 2 was phasing to another area you dont know about.

I think that was the time where videogames started to extend the story outside the game via novels, animated movies and comic books. The time lapse was kinda to big to see Isaac without Eli, or Eli with a different eye and boyfriend. And character you should knew about but you dont because you dont read the story between the games

I think that's the coolest part of it. You're playing different people who experienced different things who lived different lives. Of course they'd have different demons and trials.

It's the best, most innovative thing they did to differentiate the series and I wish more co-op games did it.

I think that's the coolest part of it. You're playing different people who experienced different things who lived different lives. Of course they'd have different demons and trials.

It's the best, most innovative thing they did to differentiate the series and I wish more co-op games did it.

I dont remember if there was matchmaking to be player 2 because there is no option to be Carver in singleplayer.

As for Dead Space 3? I've avoided playing it so far, because I was already disappointed by one of the actually well-liked Dead Space games. If I was disappointed by DS2, I can't even imagine how I'll end up feeling about DS3.
I was disappinted by DS2 (I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as DS1, even though I enjoyed it), but I still enjoyed DS3. As I said a few posts earlier, I think I actually enjoyed DS3 more than DS2, although that might be down to going in with different expectations.

DS3 has a cool atmosphere, even if it's more of an action game than a horror game. You should give it a go.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I was disappinted by DS2 (I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as DS1, even though I enjoyed it), but I still enjoyed DS3. As I said a few posts earlier, I think I actually enjoyed DS3 more than DS2, although that might be down to going in with different expectations.

DS3 has a cool atmosphere, even if it's more of an action game than a horror game. You should give it a go.

Hmm, yeah, you actually have some similar thoughts to me on DS1 vs DS2, so I guess I will have to try out DS3 sooner than later. I guess I'll give it a shot in the next few months and maybe after that I'll see about getting Extraction or the DLC for 2/3.

I played through all of Dead Sapce 3 and literally none of this I remember, might be one of the most forgettable games I've played... All I remember is sort of liking it at the beginning then disliking it towards the end.

Top Bottom