• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 sales top one million in first three days

hemo memo

Gold Member
Alot of people liked that first game
Yeah when it was new and exciting concept. Doing more of the same of the not new anymore and done better by other games isn’t fun. Making worse by making the DLC forcing agenda instead of focusing on a good story.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
After the delays and multiple developers, the game likely cost way above 100 million to develop + few millions for testing, marketing, and additional expenses.

Lets say the developers/publisher makes 40 dollars from each sale... that's 40 million dollars. Do I need to say more?

It cost about $5,500,000 to develop, and they spent about $2,000,000 on marketing. They also sold the game for $60 (or more, depending on the version). So they made $60,000,000, and the net profit was $52,500,000.

Yeah... I can make up numbers, too.

fermcr

It cost about $5,500,000 to develop, and they spent about $2,000,000 on marketing. They also sold the game for $60 (or more, depending on the version). So they made $60,000,000, and the net profit was $52,500,000.

Yeah... I can make up numbers, too.

Seriously man!... think before you say something.
facepalm-picard.gif

An average AAA game costs nowadays 100 million.
https://rocketbrush.com/blog/how-much-does-it-cost-to-develop-a-game

BTW, if the game sells for $60-$70, don't expect all the money to go to the publisher and developer. Sony and Microsoft automatically get 30%. If you purchase the game at Amazon (or another store), they get their cut... then there are other costs.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Great , this means DI 3 will be real someday.

Just playing DI2 first stage on PS5 and the game feels well done. Not GOTY but honestly better than the other 2 games gameplay. Hope the cards adds better elements.

YCoCg

Yeah when it was new and exciting concept.
Not really, Dead Island came at the tail end of Gen 7's Zombie Obsession, by that point we already had Left 4 Dead 1&2, Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare, multiple COD Zombies, etc, hell there was even a Yakuza Zombie Game (Dead Souls) out before Dead Island.

Doing more of the same of the not new anymore and done better by other games isn’t fun.
But that's what the first game was, it wasn't that original, it was janky, but it played decent and developed a cult following, nobody was praising the game as something completely new and unique.

Making worse by making the DLC forcing agenda instead of focusing on a good story.
Que?

H4ze

I already thought it would be a huge success. It's cencored in Germany, so I'll wait until I can get another version for cheap.
Believe me, it's still worth it, as a fellow German I can tell you. You don't chop up every zombie you killed while on the ground. After the first 2-3 you would just kill them and move on anyway. And the gore is 100 % uncensored while you hit the fuck out of them.

Kupfer

This feels like a true upgrade to Dying Light without the parkour of course. It's how I expected Dying Light 2 to feel but unfortunately it was a disaster.
That could be seen in advance from a mile away, the one who bought DL2 at release is himself to blame :D
But yes, Dead Island 2 look way better. And the dev didn't lie to me trying to sell me the game or downgraded it.

I already thought it would be a huge success. It's cencored in Germany, so I'll wait until I can get another version for cheap.
I can't wait any longer, I will order the uncut version this week. Found the PS5 version for ~52€

That could be seen in advance from a mile away, the one who bought DL2 at release is himself to blame :D
But yes, Dead Island 2 look way better. And the dev didn't lie to me trying to sell me the game or downgraded it.

I can't wait any longer, I will order the uncut version this week. Found the PS5 version for ~52€
Yes I agree. That's why I didn't buy it and bought this instead haha.

fatmarco

Mistook it for a microsoft game
Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF
Yeah those are verrrry Microsoft looking stats lol.

I plan to pick this up later, but I'm really sad that it's not the same tone as the original. I think satire, light hearted or comedic games have been totally played out at this point.

Three

After the delays and multiple developers, the game likely cost way above 100 million to develop + few millions for testing, marketing, and additional expenses.

Lets say the developers/publisher makes 40 dollars from each sale... that's 40 million dollars. Do I need to say more?
You're right, after the 3 days nobody bought it anymore too and the developers went bankrupt. Do I need to say more?

Last edited:

Eiknarf

The game is a blast to play!! Totally worth it

I normally wait three months or so to get a game, not to save money, but to make sure any bugs are fixed via patches. But someone in these threads a day or two ago mentioned that it’s a complete, fully ready game. And now that I put 5 hours into it, I can confirm that that’s true.

Enjoyable

Top Bottom