• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 sales top one million in first three days

Draugoth

Gold Member
Dead-Island-2-Sales_04-24-23-1024x576.jpg

Total sales for Dead Island 2 surpassed one million units worldwide in the first three days of release, publisher Deep Silver and developer Dambuster Studios announced.

Deep Silver also shared the following Dead Island 2 gameplay statistics:
  • 11 million total hours played
  • 28 million total number of player deaths (over twice the population of Los Angeles)
  • 45 million zombies sliced in half
  • 756 million zombie limbs hacked off
  • 1.1 billion total number of zombies slayed

Spyxos

Gold Member
I already thought it would be a huge success. It's cencored in Germany, so I'll wait until I can get another version for cheap.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
The first game was fun but only co-op with a friend. Tried it alone and it was miserable. I don’t think the second one will be different.

fermcr

Game released on 5 platforms (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5 and PC)... might be mistaken, but one million in first three days doesn't feel that impressive.

tusharngf

i played first game for couple of hours but it doesnt get any better. Combat is repetitive and missions are not that interesting. I hope second game improves on all aspects.

MiguelItUp

The first game was a lot of fun, even with all the jank. This one seems like it carries the torch the same way. I'll definitely check it out when it drops in price.

That being said, because of DI2's dev hell, it is really neat that it sold well.

winjer

Gold Member
Most people buy games if it has 80+ ratings.

It doesn't. A few people in the industry have already come public and said that for most games, review scores don't affect sales that much. Especially for already established franchises.
And there are also studies that support this.

RyanEvans21

That is an online perception.
Most people dont look at reviews numbers and buy it day1 or hearing it from somewhere.

Reviews affected sales numbers. Look what happen to The Last Of Us 2

It has Bad reviews because of Naughty killing Joel to progress the games.

feynoob

Banned
Reviews affected sales numbers. Look what happen to The Last Of Us 2

It has Bad reviews because of Naughty killing Joel to progress the games.
That was a leak that did it, no treviews.
I was on reddit when that happened. People were pissed off.

ManaByte

Gold Member
i played first game for couple of hours but it doesnt get any better. Combat is repetitive and missions are not that interesting. I hope second game improves on all aspects.

I’m at the end with 12 hours played and it’s awesome and the variety and the need to carry a variety of weapons keeps getting better.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Leaked and reviews from most famous Youtubers. They tell the fans to boycott the game.
I can give you youtube reviews, but not metacritic.

Usually people see youtube reviews with gameplay. That can affect their sale decision.
Look at redfall gameplay reaction.

SJRB

Gold Member
Game released on 5 platforms (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5 and PC)... might be mistaken, but one million in first three days doesn't feel that impressive.

Plenty of devs would kill for a million copies sold, let alone in three days.

1,000,000 is nothing to sneeze at.

Valt7786

Well earned, great game especially given its development troubles. Sure they played it safe, but it paid off, clearly. Hope this leads to DI 3 now!

fermcr

Plenty of devs would kill for a million copies sold, let alone in three days.

1,000,000 is nothing to sneeze at.

After the delays and multiple developers, the game likely cost way above 100 million to develop + few millions for testing, marketing, and additional expenses.

Lets say the developers/publisher makes 40 dollars from each sale... that's 40 million dollars. Do I need to say more?

geary

After the delays and multiple developers, the game likely cost way above 100 million to develop + few millions for testing, marketing, and additional expenses.

Lets say the developers/publisher makes 40 dollars from each sale... that's 40 million dollars. Do I need to say more?
Math on a napkin...Maybe you need to say more...

zephiross

It is actually good "honest video game", I know it sounds stupid, but I mean it in a way, that they pulled zero bullshit on launch and it is good game and feels amazing to play. Fuck the realism, gimme fun physics.
It’s the kind of game that works because even if it’s simple, the core mechanics are well executed. The devs focused on what is enjoyable about the game (gore/fun physics) and not on useless open world design or rpg mechanics.

It’s not the goat, but it’s fun, satisfying and well made, almost old school in a sense and not chasing trends.

bbw_lover87

It’s the kind of game that works because even if it’s simple, the core mechanics are well executed. The devs focused on what is enjoyable about the game (gore/fun physics) and not on useless open world design or rpg mechanics.

It’s not the goat, but it’s fun, satisfying and well made, almost old school in a sense and not chasing trends.
Yep its just fun running around fucking up mofo zombies and the game is well optimised too

Top Bottom