• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DCS world update 2.7 and some personal opinions

would you play this game if you could on a normal controller?

• yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • no

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • i dont play flying games but this looks cool.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • no opinion.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

O.v.e.rlord

Banned

Ok, I'm writing this out of the love of the game, and last time I check that is what this site is about, and god damnit if I'm not going to share it.

I came across this game by fucking chance. Thought it looked cool, it was free, but planes cost money. Like a fuck ton of money. These fucking planes go for 80 USD. Just so you can fly one plane. Watched some youtube of the f-16 and a-10, shit looks cool, didn't really justify the asking price. But, being the warm blooded AMERICAN that I am, with some extra spendy cashy moneys, I bought 3 of these planes so far, a helicopter, and a expansion map. It started with the A-10. Just wanted to unload the 30mm on something. Created a mission, and flying I went. Problem right off the bat. The controls they have mapped for a controller really don't do anything of worth, other than keep me in the air. Pretty much I felt as though I had just wasted my time and money. Thought to my self "lets see if I configure the controls to fix this problem". Yeah, no. unless you have a deep understanding of the plane and the terminology that they use, you are going to be at a complete loss on trying to figure it out. Did a google search, found this guy that goes by Grim Reapers who has tutorials on all the planes. I mapped all the the commonly used ones in his video to the controller, and boom, able to track and engage targets on the ground over 10 miles away. From start to finish it took me about 4 hours to engage my first ground target. I'm currently flying the f-16 as my main with a total of 388 hours, and I'm still learning new things this plane can do. I haven't mastered the f-18 or a-10 yet, but ill do that once the f-16 stops being fun to fly. I really don't know how to finish this, other than its a great game, with a high learning curve, that rewards smart decisions.

This is gameplay of me taking out a f-18 in a pvp server. Video compressed to hell. Thanks youtube.

Nemesisuuu

Not so long I was watching some videos on Youtube, even started checking out some HOTAS gear, but ultimately gave up since i don't have that much time to invest in one game/simulator. Otherwise, it looks awesome.

SJRB

Gold Member
I installed DCS World a few months ago coming hot off of Microsoft Flight Simulator. I [extremely casually] played quite a bit of flight sims back in the day of Jane's simulators.

Anyway, this game has a level of hardcore-ness that greatly surpasses even Microsoft Flight Sim. I was completely overwhelmed and in all honestly I did not have the patience or time to figure it all out.

I need a sim somewhere between DCS and Ace Combat, I guess.

But that said, this game looks incredible and hats off to anyone who has mastered this.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I installed DCS World a few months ago coming hot off of Microsoft Flight Simulator. I [extremely casually] played quite a bit of flight sims back in the day of Jane's simulators.

Anyway, this game has a level of hardcore-ness that greatly surpasses even Microsoft Flight Sim. I was completely overwhelmed and in all honestly I did not have the patience or time to figure it all out.

I need a sim somewhere between DCS and Ace Combat, I guess.

But that said, this game looks incredible and hats off to anyone who has mastered this.
I play this game with a ps4 controller and a laptop. It can be done! its there you just have to see it! that in-between your looking for is dcs. Just got to stick with it.

mitchman

Gold Member
I got the Thrustmaster Warthog for this game and have played it a fair deal, both on VR and with head tracking (TrackIR 5). Fantastic game, but game have a bit high entry point I guess. I have a few planes such as F/A-18C, F-16, A-10 II, Spitfire, etc. but seeing how time consuming it is to learn the planes, I expect I will never learn all them properly. First world problem, for sure.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Great sim. They are working on a dynamic campaign, once that's done then it can be truly considered on par with the greatest ever combat flight simulator - Microprose's Falcon 4.0

I have a bunch of modules that I've picked up over the years. My favorite is the KA-50 Blackshark, it's an amazing heli that is a bit weird to fly, but once you master it it's a deadly weapons platform. It's the heli version of the A-10. Just love it. My experience with DCS actually started with the A-10, I was on two week vacation for the holidays a few years back and decided to just spend the whole time immersing in the A-10 to finally learn it. It was a full day before I could even put weapons on target. But so, so rewarding. CUrrently I'm re-doing all the A10 training after the new A-10C II module recently came out.

Buggy Loop

Holy crap!

This module is gonna be bonkers. I played the shit out of Jane's apache longbow 2 back in the days. To think there's going to be a modern study sim on the AH-64D is pure bliss.

SJRB

Gold Member

Holy crap!

This module is gonna be bonkers. I played the shit out of Jane's apache longbow 2 back in the days. To think there's going to be a modern study sim on the AH-64D is pure bliss.

Damn this looks SICK.

I'd buy this if it was as easily accessible as Jane's was back in the day, lol.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Holy crap!

It's kinda funny but there are no single game I look forward to more than this DCS module.. My Reverb G2 is ready.

Buggy Loop

It's kinda funny but there are no single game I look forward to more than this DCS module.. My Reverb G2 is ready.

I think this will be sick in VR as the AH-64D has helmet mounted display to see what you're targeting with the standalone camera or FLIR, almost like seeing through the cockpit with one eye. The gun will be pointing at the direction of your headset :eek: Should be sick in VR

FeldMonster

I absolutely love watching Growling Sidewinders videos. I have learned so much about dogfighting, one circle vs. two circle, advantages/disadvantages of different jets/missiles, etc.

This really should be an e-sport. Not sure if 1v1 or 2v2 or even 4v4 would be best, but it would be fantastic to watch.

Top Bottom