• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

aly

I'm comparing to the NU52 / DCYOU era for reference. Characterisation not randomly changing across issues and the narrative not being confused about when things happen relative to each other shouldn't win points but it has to.

They aren't seminal works or anything.

Ok, yeah I agree with you there then.

I checked out the most recent issue of the current Blue Beetle series.

Jaime has the Ditko suit now WHAT
OMAC and Dr. Fate WHAT

Ted Kord is like my favourite character ever but I never warmed up to Jaime whose power set just seemed to make him a walking macguffin. I like this status quo a LOT more. And I love that Giffen's made Kord a central part of this series. I've always thought about how I would do a Blue Beetle series and this goes down a lot of the same paths. Will keep reading, this has got to be the best Beetle series since the Cullens/Wein book in the 80s.

I checked out the most recent issue of the current Blue Beetle series.

Jaime has the Ditko suit now WHAT
OMAC and Dr. Fate WHAT

Ted Kord is like my favourite character ever but I never warmed up to Jaime whose power set just seemed to make him a walking macguffin. I like this status quo a LOT more. And I love that Giffen's made Kord a central part of this series. I've always thought about how I would do a Blue Beetle series and this goes down a lot of the same paths. Will keep reading, this has got to be the best Beetle series since the Cullens/Wein book in the 80s.

He lost access to the scarab 1 or 2 issues back. He's essentially the Ditko Blue Beetle with Ted as a mentor now.

He lost access to the scarab 1 or 2 issues back. He's essentially the Ditko Blue Beetle with Ted as a mentor now.

This is all I want out of comics.

Also, I kind of like that Giffen's going back to Kent Nelson as Dr. Fate. I feel conflicted on that one because Khalid wasn't a bad character and I like that Levitz put the helmet on an actual Egyptian rather than yet another American mighty whitey trope. But the character works better as an experienced, more powerful older man than a young stumbling fish out of water type imo. And Nelson's had a pretty long and interesting back story. It feels good to me seeing him back in the role.

This is all I want out of comics.

Also, I kind of like that Giffen's going back to Kent Nelson as Dr. Fate. I feel conflicted on that one because Khalid wasn't a bad character and I like that Levitz put the helmet on an actual Egyptian rather than yet another American mighty whitey trope. But the character works better as an experienced, more powerful older man than a young stumbling fish out of water type imo. And Nelson's had a pretty long and interesting back story. It feels good to me seeing him back in the role.

They're both still around. Kent Nelson was revealed to be Khalid's great-uncle or something like that.

Doctor-Fate-Issue-14-Cover.jpg

DF_13_4.jpg

DF_13_5.jpg

Yeah, I remembered that scene, but he gives Khalid the helmet. In Blue Beetle the helmet asks to go to Kent specifically, so it kind of felt like a passing back of the baton after Khalid's series didn't really get any traction. Maybe I'm wrong, I guess we'll see.

Yeah, I remembered that scene, but he gives Khalid the helmet. In Blue Beetle the helmet asks to go to Kent specifically, so it kind of felt like a passing back of the baton after Khalid's series didn't really get any traction. Maybe I'm wrong, I guess we'll see.

I doubt they'll fully get rid of Khalid, but Fate's required role in Blue Beetle is pretty specific to Kent.

My takeaway from The Lazarus Contract conclusion:

Damien. sucks. so. much. ass. He fucked up The Flash's heart, kicked Kid Flash off the team, and was a little shit the entire issue. And really how would Slade saving his son change the timeline more than a bunch of future Titans showing up and almost murdering Wally West and traumatizing the old Titans team in the process? Deathstroke should have lopped some heads off.

Wait, does this look like the new status quo? Shit, I am surprised I had not heard of this...

It's not, he's getting the Scarab back next issue.

Honestly, and I hate hate HATE to be the one saying this... Blue Beetle is not a good book. It was good, for a couple of issues, but now it's bad again. Giffen just does not seem to be interested in writing a Jaime Reyes story, so instead we got OMAC and Dr. Fate and like half the JL3K cast running around instead. And the writing is still just Giffen as fuck. Dude has these particular tics and once you pick up on them it's really really hard to not notice them. And the art is resoundingly mediocre as well.

Doing a big long arc whose primary mover was Doctor Fate (as opposed to, say, Jaime Reyes) for the first outing was a mistake.

Damien. sucks. so. much. ass. He fucked up The Flash's heart, kicked Kid Flash off the team, and was a little shit the entire issue. And really how would Slade saving his son change the timeline more than a bunch of future Titans showing up and almost murdering Wally West and traumatizing the old Titans team in the process? Deathstroke should have lopped some heads off.

That's Damien in a nutshell, he's a walking inferiority superiority complex.

Pachimari

How do you guys think I should go about getting into this Rebirth event? I've never read an entire series before, but I've been recommended Batman: Rebirth for one, which I've read #1 of and I liked the premise of the pollen and weather man. I'm not too fond of his new sidekick but that's probably because he didn't get anything else than counting down to do. I'm also in such a Wonder-Woman mood, and have heard that the current run is the strongest of the Rebirth reboot. I'm also really curious about the Watchmen and how they fit into this new timeline, and since The Flash has been my favorite DC hero since I was a kid, I could look into his series.

I've always been a Marvel kid, but is more of a fan of everything now really, so I'm just looking for some quality reads, and thought maybe these three series would get me going? Would it be a good idea to read Justice League #50, since I read in the OP that it contains the whole Joker reveal?

Looking at Comixology, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of issues already wow.

skybald

How do you guys think I should go about getting into this Rebirth event? I've never read an entire series before, but I've been recommended Batman: Rebirth for one, which I've read #1 of and I liked the premise of the pollen and weather man. I'm not too fond of his new sidekick but that's probably because he didn't get anything else than counting down to do. I'm also in such a Wonder-Woman mood, and have heard that the current run is the strongest of the Rebirth reboot. I'm also really curious about the Watchmen and how they fit into this new timeline, and since The Flash has been my favorite DC hero since I was a kid, I could look into his series.

You can check out this sale if you are interested in getting anything in physical form.

1700+ DC books are included in Barnes and Noble's Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale, running through June 12.

Direct link - https://barnesandnoble.com/b/dc-graphic-novels-buy-2-get-the-3rd-free/books/_/N-2cp4Z8q8

I've always been a Marvel kid, but is more of a fan of everything now really, so I'm just looking for some quality reads, and thought maybe these three series would get me going? Would it be a good idea to read Justice League #50, since I read in the OP that it contains the whole Joker reveal?

Looking at Comixology, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of issues already wow.

It's not really an event, you can start wherever you want. The Rebirth special issue is available for free on comixology I believe. It's a good start but very continuity focused.

I'd recommend just picking up collections for the series you're interested in. You can't go wrong with WW. Batman is divisive but it has gotten better.
So far, I'd say the most praised series have been: WW, Superman, Deathstroke, Green Arrow, New Super-Man. All of them can be read independently.

For the Watchmen stuff, there was a Batman / Flash crossover recently that touched upon it but it hasn't been collected yet.

tim1138

The Wonder Woman annual was very good. The Rucka and Scott story was fun and it's always great to see Nicola drawing Diana. Vita Ayala had a much better grasp on writing Diana this go round then she did in her awful New Talent Showcase story, and of course Claire Roe drew the ever loving hell out of it. The third story was good but had the misfortune of being between between Ayala/Roe and the finale
Wonder Woman and kaiju and Dinosaur Island!!!
drawn by David Lafuente and written by the duo who did the last couple Grayson issues. This was a great issue to release the week of the movie.

I gave Flash another shot coming off of the strength of the Button and was not disappointed. Williamson has a better grasp on the book compared to the beginning of his run and di Giandomenico's art was great as always. This issue delivered on two of my favorite parts of the Barry Allen mythos -
his friendship with Hal and Eobard freaking Thawne
. I'm really curious to see where Williamson is going with this.

aly

Damian has gotten so much better. Kinda sucks that they keep rolling back his development. That said he was the most hilarious part of the crossover. Mostly because he got to do stuff instead of being wall paper like everyone not named Wally.

Damian has gotten so much better. Kinda sucks that they keep rolling back his development. That said he was the most hilarious part of the crossover. Mostly because he got to do stuff instead of being wall paper like everyone not named Wally.

The only moment I liked from Damian was when
he patted Raven's head and said "there there" when she was having a seizure. It made me LOL

It's not, he's getting the Scarab back next issue.

AGH do not want

Giffen just does not seem to be interested in writing a Jaime Reyes story

It's not just that he's sidelined by the large number of characters, it's that he comes across as a stumbling dumbass as well. But TBH he's had how many books cancelled now? He may just not be able to draw in enough readers. I know that I'm way more interested in this book because of Kord, Fate & OMAC.

Shaanyboi

Banned
How do you guys think I should go about getting into this Rebirth event? I've never read an entire series before, but I've been recommended Batman: Rebirth for one, which I've read #1 of and I liked the premise of the pollen and weather man. I'm not too fond of his new sidekick but that's probably because he didn't get anything else than counting down to do. I'm also in such a Wonder-Woman mood, and have heard that the current run is the strongest of the Rebirth reboot. I'm also really curious about the Watchmen and how they fit into this new timeline, and since The Flash has been my favorite DC hero since I was a Ok, I could look into his series.

If you want to read stuff immediately before the Rebirth shift, just get ahold of the Darkseid War collections (the JL event you talked about).

After that, read Rebirth, and just jump into the trades.

AGH do not want

It's not just that he's sidelined by the large number of characters, it's that he comes across as a stumbling dumbass as well. But TBH he's had how many books cancelled now? He may just not be able to draw in enough readers. I know that I'm way more interested in this book because of Kord, Fate & OMAC.

THis is his third book. First one went 30something issues. Never a sales sensation, but it did well enough.

Second series was the N52 book which was kind of a catastrophe.

Third series was this one which is also shaping up pretty poorly.

Jaime can absolutely carry a story, but Giffen is clearly just way more interested in playing with his other toys.

Sou Da

So does Priest now just hate writing black people or?

So does Priest now just hate writing black people or?

I don't think Priest had much say in that. These crossovers go through editorial and the composition of Teen Titans would be largely between them and the current writer Benjamin Percy.

Also this happened in Teen Titans Annual which Priest didn't write.

Sou Da

I don't think Priest had much say in that. These crossovers go through editorial and the composition of Teen Titans would be largely between them and the current writer Benjamin Percy.

Also this happened in Teen Titans Annual which Priest didn't write.

He specifically picked the new Power Girl for his Deathstroke and actually made her an interesting character.

I was more or less joking about
Wally and Jackson being left behind
in the annual which I'm pretty damn sure he scripted.

Also the wish for OG Wally to come back must feel like it was made on a monkey's paw to his fans now.

I was more or less joking about
Wally and Jackson being left behind
in the annual which I'm pretty damn sure he scripted.

Also the wish for OG Wally to come back must feel like it was made on a monkey's paw to his fans now.

He's got a credit as writer, now that I look again , all 3 of the series writers involved in this crossover do. That does explain the Deathstroke-ish "minisode" breakup and title cards.

It's amazing how good he made her in only a few issues compared to her entire run in the Teen Titans.

Team books are hard for characters who only appear in them. You get maybe 3 pages per issue to get defined and you tend to get overshadowed by whoever is put on the team to sell books with star power. It kinda sucks unless you can at least get a mini of your own.

I'm in the mood for some team books. How have Justice League and Titans (Teen or otherwise) been since rebirth?
All IMO:

JL of America is doofy but enjoyable (see my above post).

Justice League is horrible.

Teen Titans depends on how much you want to throttle Damian Wayne and if you enjoy that feeling.

Titans is okay.

I don't read Suicide Squad so I can't comment on it.

Birds of Prey is good I guess but it's sort of small to call a team book atm (Huntress, Batgirl, Black Canary )

I don't think DC has any other proper team books atm.
Green Lantern Corps and Detective Comics kind of are but in the Batfamily Team kind of way where the differences are more minor between members. I don't ready GLC but 'Tec is good.

In smaller "teams"
Trinity is about Supe, Bats and Wondie obviously. And Supersons is Damien and Jon (Superboy).

Edit - Didn't really comment on the last two quality wise because they've only had one arc each.

Dalek

Justice League in Rebirth has just been abysmal.

Suicide Squad has actually been a lot of fun. So was the JL vs SS crossover.

I'm in the mood for some team books. How have Justice League and Titans (Teen or otherwise) been since rebirth?

Justice League is abysmal and I didn't care much for what I read of JLA. Titans isn't great but I'm not sure what the consensus is on that book. Teen Titans is really good, superb artwork and fun stories so far. But DC needs to step up their game in regards to their team books. The JSA better be back soon.

Squire

Banned
I just finally grabbed vol 1 of Green Lanterns this week and I really enjoyed it. It's not terribly innovative (I actually find the premise incredibly 90s), but it's such classic, good-natured fun. I haven't read the Sam Humphries stories that made people hate him, but based on the Secret Wars mini he did, I figured GLs might be a good fit for him. He does "bickering duo" really solidly.

I have vol 2 ready to go. Should I also be reading Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps though? Sounds like they're companions and the lore is laid out in that one. I'm guessing they'll start to really cross over.

I just finally grabbed vol 1 of Green Lanterns this week and I really enjoyed it. It's not terribly innovative (I actually find the premise incredibly 90s), but it's such classic, good-natured fun. I haven't read the Sam Humphries stories that made people hate him, but based on the Secret Wars mini he did, I figured GLs might be a good fit for him. He does "bickering duo" really solidly.

I have vol 2 ready to go. Should I also be reading Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps though? Sounds like they're companions and the lore is laid out in that one. I'm guessing they'll start to really cross over.

I don't think you need both, but Hal Jordan and the GLC is not bad. I wasn't a big fan of Venditti's GL in the New 52 because after Johns' run ended it felt like Venditti tried to ape him straight away rather than "earn" it, but he gets the characters. And also he has Van Sciver on art (still, I believe) and his GL art is pretty definitive.

tim1138

The Hal Jordan book is pretty good, it's world's better than what Venditti did with the characters in the New 52. Hal Jordan is the adventures of the Corps in space, cosmic crisis stuff. It's more action driven and a little less character driven then Green Lanterns. While the current arc has Jess and Simon interacting with the GLC, there haven't been any crossovers and none have been announced through August. They work as nice companion pieces but neither is essential to enjoying the other.

ReiGun

All IMO:

JL of America is doofy but enjoyable (see my above post).

Justice League is horrible.

Teen Titans depends on how much you want to throttle Damian Wayne and if you enjoy that feeling.

Titans is okay.

I don't read Suicide Squad so I can't comment on it.

Birds of Prey is good I guess but it's sort of small to call a team book atm (Huntress, Batgirl, Black Canary )

I don't think DC has any other proper team books atm.
Green Lantern Corps and Detective Comics kind of are but in the Batfamily Team kind of way where the differences are more minor between members. I don't ready GLC but 'Tec is good.

In smaller "teams"
Trinity is about Supe, Bats and Wondie obviously. And Supersons is Damien and Jon (Superboy).

Edit - Didn't really comment on the last two quality wise because they've only had one arc each.

Justice League in Rebirth has just been abysmal.

Suicide Squad has actually been a lot of fun. So was the JL vs SS crossover.

Justice League is abysmal and I didn't care much for what I read of JLA. Titans isn't great but I'm not sure what the consensus is on that book. Teen Titans is really good, superb artwork and fun stories so far. But DC needs to step up their game in regards to their team books. The JSA better be back soon.

Trinity is the closest thing to an good Rebirth Justice League book, if you're interested.

So skip JL(A), decide for myself on (Teen) Titans, and definitely look at Trinity.
ehh3.png
Aight. Thanks guys.

TrueBlue

Want to get into Rebirth, is Wonder Woman any good? I plan to get Batman at one point, but I'm in a Wonder Woman mood - reading Vol 1 of the Greg Rucka collection and enjoying it quite a bit. Just finished Hiketeia.

Want to get into Rebirth, is Wonder Woman any good? I plan to get Batman at one point, but I'm in a Wonder Woman mood - reading Vol 1 of the Greg Rucka collection and enjoying it quite a bit. Just finished Hiketeia.

WW Rebirth is also by Rucka and it's even better than his original run imo. The first collection (the story in the present with Cheetah) is a bit of a slow burn but after that it keeps getting better and better with each issue.

Pachimari

I bought Wonder Woman: Rebirth #1 (and Legend of Wonder Woman) and is gonna give it a read. I don't think I get myself to read the Darkseid War collection at the moment.

Dalek

Wonder Woman year one is fantastic.

TrueBlue

Great. In terms of Pre-Rebirth, I also hear that Gail Simone's run was well received. Is that limited to just The Circle or does that include the run in its entirety?

Vol 1 for WW Rebirth should be arriving today - looking forward to it!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, read the latest Aquaman comic now.

Holy fuck. Issue of the week.

VanWinkle

Are we getting deluxe hardcover for every book that lasts long enough for 2 volumes?

I would like to think so, but probably not. Of the Rebirth twice-monthlies so far, these are the ones that have a deluxe edition or have one solicited:

Action Comics
Batman
Detective Comics
Flash
Harley Quinn
Justice League
JLA
Nightwing
Suicide Squad
Superman
Wonder Woman

So that leaves out several good books, unfortunately, like Hal Jordan and the GLC, Green Lanterns, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Deathstroke, etc. Will we see those eventually? I don't know. Hopefully.

Too early to say on the monthly titles.

Afrodium

Banned
The twice-monthly release schedule is cool for buying singles, but now that I'm hearing series I haven't been following are good it's really hard to catch up. They're like 25 issues deep at this point and trades are way behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom