• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

I like the idea of setting up the Suicide Squad as big time rivals to the Justice League. DC needs that kind of dynamic. They'd need to up their power levels though, they're full of street-level villains right now.

I don't know if they're going to be big-time rivals. The whole first issue of JL vs SS had multiple characters note how skewed the chances were in the JL's favor.

This Nightwing story is better than the Talon arc so far. I really like the idea of
villains scared straight by Batman and Robin, but also traumatized to shit by it.
Also, I think Defacer may turn into my waifu. She's awesome.

The Light

All the spy stuff happened but Dick never went to bludhaven?

So far for me this arc is on the same level as the talon arc...well at least before the reveal.

It's the Rebirth effect. Percy's DCYou Green Arrow run was awful, but now it's one of the best books they publish.

Don't underrate the benefit of having a super simple take on a book. RHATO is great because it's a very simple "Dark Trinity" book. Green Arrow is back to basics.

I like how DC has been reverting stuff to the status quo without making a big deal about it or fans complaining

Lois and Clark
Dianna and Steve
Nightwing in the Blud

I'm amused how those are viewed as the Status Quo. Lois and Clark were actually together for what about 15 years (mid-90s to 2010), Nightwing was in Bludhaven (for less than 10, 96 -05) , I can't actually remember the last time Steve and Dianna were officially a thing.

The first 2 happened at the right time I suppose (mid-90s to mid/late 2000s would put them in the right time zone for people who are now late 20s to early 30s to have been teenages when they were in). Admittedly I'm in that group myself, so I don't dislike these developments but its interesting to see that things that are true for what is actually a fairly brief period of a characters history come to define them (esp Superman , Nigthwing is interesting because despite Dick Grayson being an old Character Nightwing only turned up in 84. So he's actually spent a little under a 3rd of his existence in Bludhaven .

Don't underrate the benefit of having a super simple take on a book. RHATO is great because it's a very simple "Dark Trinity" book. Green Arrow is back to basics.

I like RHATO but it's a pretty bad Dark Trinity book so far. Nearly everything is through Jason's view point (which okay it is Red Hood and the Outlaws). Its entirely possible they'll switch viewpoints more in later arcs too since keeping things hidden from the reader is important while they are establishing character motivations. It's a pretty good Jason character study though.

Read the first arc of Nightwing. I'm really enjoying that series. Currently reading the "Night of the Monster Men" crossover. Superman by Peter Tomasi has been great so far too.

Hummm. Titans is suggesting the in universe explanation is a little different than the meta one: Wally's memory of Linda was a memory of a possible future rather than his Pre-Nu52 past.

Though that doesn't match up perfectly with what Kadabra knew. But hey DC retcon crises being fuzzy around the edges is par for the course, at least he's not late 90s Donna Troy / Hawkman / Hawkgirl bad.

Action Comics continues to be great. I'm loving the banter between Lex and Superman. It's great, and honestly it makes me want to check out N52 Supes some more. I'm also sure it's unintentional, but it does throw some shade at Civil War 2. I'm loving both Superman books right now.

What's the diff between Batman and Detective Comics and Superman and Action Comics?

Different writers, artists and stories.

Batman is written by Tom King, it's his solo book right now, he's just about to start its third arc, the first one being "I am Gotcham" and the second being "I am Suicide". It's primarily focused on Bruce himself, though it does have a pertty large cast depending on the arc. This last arc had a lot of focus on Catwoman.

Detective Comics is currently the Batman Family book so to speak. It follows him and Batwoman leading a team of less experienced vigilantes, it's my favorite current bat book, and it just started its third arc.

Superman is focused on Superman being a dad, and his adventures with his son Jonathan. It's an absolute joy to read,

Action Comics deals with a lot of stuff happening in Metropolis, but it's main focus is on cool battles, and Lex Luthor trying to take up the mantle of Superman, while Superman himself doesn't trust him.

All four books are great, though if I had to pick 2 it could be Detective and Superman.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Detective Comics - Great
Batman - Average

Superman - Great
AC - Average

Basically. So disappointed in Tom King's Batman :(

I'm feeling King's Batman more than Snyder's All-Star but Detective is the best.

(Though it's probably not a coincidence that my order of preference corresponds to how close they are to how I picture Batman in my head. Still even All-Star is decent, I don't want to drop it like I did Justice League.

Actually I've noticed Batman presenting himself as psycho when you're supposed to be viewing him from outside fairly consistently* so maybe that's editorial ? Its really jarring in books where you see him interact with allies / see his thoughts though.)

*I am Suicide, Deathstroke's first arc, All-Star to some extent. Being harsh and alien isn't new but the thing where he sounds like Frank Miller's Batman via Deathstroke the Terminator is new to me.

Crosspost from ComicGAF:
C1_gUD_VIAAmBR1.jpg:large

KonradLaw

I'm sorry, but this is outrageous. Flash is NOT the second best DC universe detective. I will not tolerate such incredible discrespect towards Detective Chimp! ;D

So I was watching The Weekly Pull Podcast, and they mentioned a certain character being locked up, or seemingly escaping from being locked up, by Mr. Oz.

Can anybody help me figure out which comic series this revelation happens in? I know:

Doomsday from Action Comics and Tim Drake from Detective Comics. They mentioned Mr. Manhattan, but I haven't read anything where he has been shown to be caged or referenced to have broken out from his jail.

Dalek

So I was watching The Weekly Pull Podcast, and they mentioned a certain character being locked up, or seemingly escaping from being locked up, by Mr. Oz.

Can anybody help me figure out which comic series this revelation happens in? I know:

Doomsday from Action Comics and Tim Drake from Detective Comics. They mentioned Mr. Manhattan, but I haven't read anything where he has been shown to be caged or referenced to have broken out from his jail.

Dr. Manhattan has not been shown at all. There have only been hints of him-the watch; the way that people are blown up looks like how Rosarch was blown up. In regards to someone breaking out of a cell, that was Tim Drake. Tim broke out of his jail cell and was immediately teleported back into a new cell. Escape is impossible for him. Mr. Oz is his jailer and it seems clear he's supposed to be Ozamandias.

I'm sorry, but this is outrageous. Flash is NOT the second best DC universe detective. I will not tolerate such incredible discrespect towards Detective Chimp! ;D

Barry isn't even in the top 5. Bruce, Tim Drake, Detective Chimp, The Riddler and Ralph Dibny are all above him.

Dr. Manhattan has not been shown at all. There have only been hints of him-the watch; the way that people are blown up looks like how Rosarch was blown up. In regards to someone breaking out of a cell, that was Tim Drake. Tim broke out of his jail cell and was immediately teleported back into a new cell. Escape is impossible for him. Mr. Oz is his jailer and it seems clear he's supposed to be Ozamandias.
Yep.
A real breakout isn't happening until Superman Reborn.

Darrenf

Just got the Batman trade, looking forward to reading it later. Haven't read any Rebirth titles yet, have also ordered Superman.

GeeTeeCee

I didn't think much of the art in this week's Deathstroke, though on the plus side the story is still unfolding nicely. It doesn't seem like it's in any hurry to wrap this current arc up.

That's weird, I'll have to go back and find that segment of the video and see if maybe I just zoned out.

Dalek

Anyone else think it was implied as creepy when the Fake Clark Kent met Superboy at the end of last weeks Action Comics? Maybe the theory is correct.

So after Justice League vs Suicide Squad which was actually pretty good, I'm considering rescubscring to Justice League. Is it still terrible ?

So after Justice League vs Suicide Squad which was actually pretty good, I'm considering rescubscring to Justice League. Is it still terrible ?

Oh yes, Hitch is a terrible writer, it's some of the worst shit I've read in a cape book in years and the latest arc was way worse than the first. My only issue with Rebirth is the Justice League book. It should be their flagship title, not something they give to a first time writer.

Oh yes, Hitch is a terrible writer, it's some of the worst shit I've read in a cape book in years and the latest arc was way worse than the first. My only issue with Rebirth is the Justice League book. It should be their flagship title, not something they give to a first time writer.

How is that even possible? The first two issues are the worst comics I have ever read.

How is that even possible? The first two issues are the worst comics I have ever read.

Oh boy, the last arc involved hacking and it felt like it was written in the early 90s. Basically, it was Justice League vs the Cyber. And of course, the hackers were kids whose creation had become self-aware.

Ross61

I don't think Justice League has been the flagship book many times before New 52.

I'm more concerned with Justice League of America.

Oh boy, the last arc involved hacking and it felt like it was written in the early 90s. Basically, it was Justice League vs the Cyber. And of course, the hackers were kids whose creation had become self-aware.

Aww jeez. How did he even get that job after one 12 issue run ((that I remember having mixed reception)? I guess I'll need get Steve Orlando's JLA book to scratch my super team itch.

tim1138

Aww jeez. How did he even get that job after one 12 issue run ((that I remember having mixed reception)? I guess I'll need get Steve Orlando's JLA book to scratch my super team itch.

Let's not forget he didn't even finish that 12 issue run. I think only 9 or 10 issues were ever released.

I have full faith in Orlando's JLA being amazing.

I don't think Justice League has been the flagship book many times before New 52.

I remember the glory days of Morrison's JLA.
A fantastic dose of nonsense every month and that shit sold like crazy. By late 90s standards of course.

Let's not forget he didn't even finish that 12 issue run. I think only 9 or 10 issues were ever released.

I have full faith in Orlando's JLA being amazing.

No, he actually finished it last month I think. He didn't do the art for the last issue though and that conclusion was hilariously rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom