• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnor

Banned
P79ApTr.jpg

:D

Goldrush

What are the chances of a complete HC omnibus of Grayson and Midnighter? Don't know how trades are usually scheduled. Is it a bit random or would it comes out with the last paperback volume?

MartyStu

Green Lanterns 3 - 6

I have finally picked this back up. After a bit of a rough patch, I think this book has found a decent groove.

I am not overly impressed by either the writing or the art, but I think Humphreys does a good job making both Jessica and Simon likeable enough to overcome it.

Jessica in particular is a really fun take on a Lantern. While I definitely think that Humphreys could do without explicitly telling us how much she suffers from anxiety so often, I like that her struggle is so personal and concrete.

So when / where was her last appearance ? Not sure the last time I saw her.
Gothtopia
maybe ? As I said I didn't read much Nu52.

Last I saw was
Her own comic a bit before rebirth, she was framed for something, cop was bad guy, called Bruce for help but it was during Gordon-Bat time Bruce having amnesia had no clue why the criminal Catwoman asked to meet him or who this "friend" was she needed help from.
Someone can't remember who(maybe Penguin)had a hit out on her.
Situation got resolved

Isn't she like 16 tho? That's kind of the issue that arose when they changed her costume to a more risque fit.

I think she was 16 when her Nu52 book started. It's hard to tell how much time has passed between Nu52 & Rebirth(in universe) but it's clearly been more than a few months.

Ross61

I think she was 16 when her Nu52 book started. It's hard to tell how much time has passed between Nu52 & Rebirth(in universe) but it's clearly been more than a few months.
It's not really clear, considering the mess of a continuity that New 52 was. But she has been stated to be officially 16 now, so she must haven been younger in New 52z

Technically speaking the New 52 should have been running for 10 years since JL #1 according to Johnathan Kent's age. He's currently 10, but was a baby when Clark and Lois first arrived the day before Darkseid attacked in JL #1. That would make Damian 8 years old at the start of the New 52, as he's currently 13. It would also make Supergirl 11 years old at the start. Tim Drake would have had to be 13 at the start too. This makes very little sense overall, but I'll just chock that up to Dr. Manhattan messing with things and leave it at that.

shingi70

Banned
Technically speaking the New 52 should have been running for 10 years since JL #1 according to Johnathan Kent's age. He's currently 10, but was a baby when Clark and Lois first arrived the day before Darkseid attacked in JL #1. That would make Damian 8 years old at the start of the New 52, as he's currently 13. It would also make Supergirl 11 years old at the start. Tim Drake would have had to be 13 at the start too. This makes very little sense overall, but I'll just chock that up to Dr. Manhattan messing with things and leave it at that.

It has been 10 years remember there's a five year gap between Superman first appearing, Zero year. And the Justice league forming.

After that the timeline has moved comicbook time slowly I guess.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Hold the... what the what??

GeeTeeCee

A question about Batman #9:
what was the significance of Jane Doe drawing the Legion logo on the glass? I'm not very familiar with that group.

Good issue.

tim1138

Ah, that makes sense.
Based on the name and location I automatically assumed she was the Batman villain named Jane Doe, not someone they couldn't actually identify.

She was also in the DC Universe Rebirth one shot by Johns. She was being checked in and had a Legion Flight Ring

Confirmed by Didio on DC All Access that it is Saturn Girl.

You do have to wonder why she's committed to the area of Arkaham she appears to be in. Everyone there is in for murder or manslaughter.

Though I'm a little confused by the Ventriloquist, he actually seems to have a decent case for being held in indefinite psychiatric care given he seems to at worst have a genuine mental defect defense judging by this issues presentation (at best he was genuinely possessed since Scarface is from the same swamp as Solomon Grundy).

You do have to wonder why she's committed to the area of Arkaham she appears to be in. Everyone there is in for murder or manslaughter.

Though I'm a little confused by the Ventriloquist, he actually seems to have a decent case for being held in indefinite psychiatric care given he seems to at worst have a genuine mental defect defense judging by this issues presentation (at best he was genuinely possessed since Scarface is from the same swamp as Solomon Grundy).

The bigger question is why is a sane death row inmate also in Arkham?
shouldn't that person be in Blackgate?

The bigger question is why is a sane death row inmate also in Arkham?
shouldn't that person be in Blackgate?

Not sure if she is sane (doesn't speak just makes an animal noise). We've got murder and manslaughter charged for people who probably have genuine defect defenses so it's possible Gotham doesn't allow the defense. Or has some weird thing where people are sentenced and then held indefinitely instead if not mentally competent.

Also Bronze Tiger is interesting the text boxes suggest he's nuts, the spar with Batman suggests that he's still as good a Martial Artist as ever (which means the LoA thing may be true).

This weeks haul:

Batman Beyond: Looks like this is going to be a character series to some extent rather than action. That's not a bad thing. Not sure if I'm going to stick around for this, Batman Beyond has never been my thing, but it's not terrible.

Teen Titans: Pretty decent. Damien get's some well deserved pushback too. Though anyone want to key me in on why Kori suddenly seems to be significant younger than even Jason and Roy let alone Dick ?

Detective Comics: Slow and introspective with a kicker. Kind of appropriate for the tone they want to set since everyone thinks Tim is dead. This book is developing a ridiculously enormous cast though (Harper, Azrael and Batwing all showed up this issue).

Titans: Proceeding as usual. Not great not terrible.

Batgirl: Moving towards its climax now. Bits and pieces seem odd to me but I think it's just stuff you have to accept as premise.

GeeTeeCee

I love how the last two issues of Deathstroke had very little
of Slade and Batman actually fighting each other. Instead it was almost entirely dedicated to watching two of the world's greatest tacticians trying to outsmart the other.

Saw the twist at the end coming a mile off, though.

I love how the last two issues of Deathstroke had very little
of Slade and Batman actually fighting each other. Instead it was almost entirely dedicated to watching two of the world's greatest tacticians trying to outsmart the other.

Saw the twist at the end coming a mile off, though.

I like how Priest resisted the urge to have Deathstroke beat the crap out of Batman to show how badass he is. He did a great job of making them both look highly intelligent and evenly matched.

Zubz

Banned
Isn't the Watchmen thread also supposed to be picked back up in JLA, too? I regret missing the "Gotham" arc in Batman, but I'll definitely be picking #9 up alongside JLA.

jurgen

Isn't the Watchmen thread also supposed to be picked back up in JLA, too? I regret missing the "Gotham" arc in Batman, but I'll definitely be picking #9 up alongside JLA.

The Justice League vs. Suicide Squad event is supposed to be the start of some things.

Not to get too Hypercrisis-y but I to your mention of Batman, I don't think it's any coincidence that Tom King is having Batman go after Psycho Pirate in his run and Killer Frost is joining his JLA. There's going to be some payoff there going back to COIE.

psycho-600x347.jpg

MartyStu

I like how Priest resisted the urge to have Deathstroke beat the crap out of Batman to show how badass he is. He did a great job of making them both look highly intelligent and evenly matched.

Even though we all know that Deathstroke could beat the even living fuck out of Bruce.

One of the biggest missteps with the character is never giving him a reasonable way to deal with Deathstroke-type threats AKA: Roughly Street level, but technically outclassing a human man in every way.

Always makes his inevitable victories feel hokey.

Even though we all know that Deathstroke could beat the even living fuck out of Bruce.

One of the biggest missteps with the character is never giving him a reasonable way to deal with Deathstroke-type threats AKA: Roughly Street level, but technically outclassing a human man in every way.

Always makes his inevitable victories feel hokey.

Batman doesn't usually* win straight up brawls with Slade (nor should he). If he "wins" its because the brawl wasn't the point (it was delaying Slade or allowing someone to escape). Brawls are generally a losing proposition since Slade's healing factor means that it's not even a great delaying tactic since even "draws" put Batman out of action for longer than Slade.

*Not sure if he's ever won a straight up one on one fight.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is Justice League really doing an arc where they all fight each other following the previous arc where they all fought each other?

GeeTeeCee

Batman #10: as someone who hasn't read any other title Tom King has written (yet), this issue gave me a good glimpse of the hype I've heard about his other books. Just some damn fine Batman writing.

Having read atleast a few issues of everything (except Harley Quinn, I honestly could not get past the first issue) my top 5 DC Rebirth books are:
Batman
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Superman
Deathstroke

I had to make some painful drops along the way, like The Flash and Aquaman, but if I'm not immediately excited to read a certain book then its not worth spending so much money on monthly/bimonthly.

Batman #10: as someone who hasn't read any other title Tom King has written (yet), this issue gave me a good glimpse of the hype I've heard about his other books. Just some damn fine Batman writing.

Tom King is amazing. Vision is mindblowingly fantastic.

Gred Rucka's current run of Wonder Woman might be the best in years. With this comic being so good I can only hope the movie will deliver too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom