• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Digital Service To Launch With ‘Titans’ Series and Young Justice Season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's their entire comic library in HQ, I will sub and stay subbed. If it's more limited in its scope or not HQ then I'll just stick to Hoopla and it's free mediocre quality.

PS look into Hoopla.

Busty

Banned
But take Time Warner/WB for a second. Recently launched a Boomerang app, which I'm cool with. Then they announce this, which I'm cool with, but not gonna subscribe to both

Now imagine if they combined em... human mind is weird... 2 apps for 5 a month is diff than 1 for 10 to me. But would do that much easier

See, this is what i assume their long term plan is. They are already have DreamFever and they're working with corporate sibling Turner on that TCM SVOD thing Filmstruck, then there's the Boomerang SVOD and there have been rumours that they are planning some kind of 'Harry Potter platform' too. Who knows, they might even do something for Adult Swim at some point too.

I imagine the end game is to sell individually or just combine everything for a single, albeit reduced, price which could then possibly be folded into the Turner channels and HBO too.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
When this service bombs and is inevitably cancelled, they'll take Young Justice with it.

Godamnit

I like to imagine Netflix while swoop in like a Vulture, like they will when Hannibal's Amazon contract expires later this year.

Building a streaming service around 2 shows and maybe some comics seems a little strange. I guess if they offered as many comics as the Marvel service for a similar price and also threw in the shows as a bonus that would work.

Waiting for the inevitable conformation this service will be US only. Hope Netflix gets the international rights for these shows.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I'm currently on Netflix, HBOGo and AmazonPrime. I...come on, lets not be hasty with another service :(

Kevin

I imagine they will launch this network with a lot more content but are simply not ready to discuss details yet. Maybe by ComicCon.

It would be weird if the DC network didn't get the various CW dc shows, Gotham, etc. I would think that they would,

Would need a healthy amount of content to get me to pay monthly when many of these shows are free on the CW, Fox, etc.

Would be awesome if they could bring back the live action Constantine series with Matt Ryan.

Building a streaming service around 2 shows and maybe some comics seems a little strange. I guess if they offered as many comics as the Marvel service for a similar price and also threw in the shows as a bonus that would work.

Waiting for the inevitable conformation this service will be US only. Hope Netflix gets the international rights for these shows.

I imagine they will put in some of the older cartoons and live action shows. Thought like a previous poster stated it would make more sense if they combine the DC and Boomerang stuff.

Pau

I kinda don't want it because I'm scared about who they'll cast.
That's worry #2. Worry #1 is that they'll pull a Teen Titans and can't mention that Dick is Bruce's son.

Like I can live without a cameo but at least let him acknowledge it!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So you subscribe to two, and subscribing to a third is a "million services" as you said? You don't even pay Amazon monthly. I mean you're of course able to subscribe to what you want to, but this kind of just shows me a lot of entitlement that I've been suspecting. It really isn't that much money.

lol

okay, whatever you say, RedHill

That's worry #2. Worry #1 is that they'll pull a Teen Titans and can't mention that Dick is Bruce's son.

Like I can live without a cameo but at least let him acknowledge it!

I don't know if they can go all in but just judging the CW shows they can do more of a direct connection than the old cartoon.

Guarantee we eventually see something like

but with Alfred, Bruce and Barbara.

Metalmarc

Bring back live action Constatine
Give us Live action Teen Titans

Hell give us every D.C thing ever (Rights permitting)

Batman 60's live action series
Plastic man cartoon
All the Scooby & D.C crossovers
Teen Titans Go
Etc

All the Movies
Batman 89-Batman vs Superman
All The Supermans
Green Lantern
Jonah Hex
Etc

All The CW shows
Izombie - Supergirl and everything else

Everything penguin mentioned previously

Give us it all, still 6 months later we will probably run out of stuff to watch

Blackage

When this service bombs and is inevitably cancelled, they'll take Young Justice with it.

Godamnit

This, I think people are right to be upset, the entire movement was built off of binge watching it on Netflix. When S3 hit it would be exposed to Netflix's massive audience and excellent ratings(yes I'm making an assumption here). Instead it's going to be on DC's personal streaming service against other streamung services that offer way more. DC will see their suckass numbers and assume Young Justice wasn't worth reviving and kill it again.

if it includes a dc digital comic service like marvel unlimited then holy shit sign me the fuck up right away.

so many good runs at dc (including vertigo too makes it a no brainer)

Penguin

Bring back live action Constatine
Give us Live action Teen Titans

Hell give us every D.C thing ever (Rights permitting)

Batman 60's live action series
Plastic man cartoon
All the Scooby & D.C crossovers
Teen Titans Go
Etc

All the Movies
Batman 89-Batman vs Superman
All The Supermans
Green Lantern
Jonah Hex
Etc

All The CW shows
Izombie - Supergirl and everything else

Everything penguin mentioned previously

Give us it all, still 6 months later we will probably run out of stuff to watch

So did some thinking on this and wrote up a little piece yesterday

http://nerdsontherocks.com/a-new-frontier-dc-comics-expansion-into-digital-streaming-platform/

I'm interested for their backlog, but curious to see what shows they resurrect/save... while I think most of these are dead am curious to see if they bring back something like GLTAS or Beware the Batman or finally put in motion the Blue Beetle series been teasing for a decade.

RedHill

Banned
Everyone remember when Futurama came back because of dvd sales and the revival seasons were straight to DVD? Yeah, me either. DC can't just have Netflix fund a show for them. I wouldn't worry about Young Justice getting cancelled so soon again. They're clearly putting a lot in this app and making it clear that YJ is a flagship show for them. Why anyone thinks they're just investing in all this and gonna cancel YJ immediately is beyond me.

abundant

Everyone remember when Futurama came back because of dvd sales and the revival seasons were straight to DVD? Yeah, me either. DC can't just have Netflix fund a show for them. I wouldn't worry about Young Justice getting cancelled so soon again. They're clearly putting a lot in this app and making it clear that YJ is a flagship show for them. Why anyone thinks they're just investing in all this and gonna cancel YJ immediately is beyond me.

I don't think people are worried that they're going to bring back and cancel YJ, they're worried that this entire Digital Service will crash and burn. It's in a similar situation as Yahoo Screen was when it debuted. YS revived a cult favorite show (Community) to kick things off, but that wasn't enough and a year later, YS was deemed a failure and essentially forgotten.

Penguin

I don't think people are worried that they're going to bring back and cancel YJ, they're worried that this entire Digital Service will crash and burn. It's in a similar situation as Yahoo Screen was when it debuted. YS revived a cult favorite show (Community) to kick things off, but that wasn't enough and a year later, YS was deemed a failure and essentially forgotten.

But wouldn't you rather that one final ride than nothing?

I mean there was 4 years, any number of parties could have stepped in and revived the show if they wanted to!

RedHill

Banned
But what did YS have going for it besides Community? This service will have atleast two shows at launch, with a possibility of more being launched with it (Comic Con is coming up and the WB digital upfront is May 5th), plus we're likely getting comics with it as well.

I want these titans or it's a bust tbh

Code:
[IMG]http://jakes-take.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/TNSREB_1_06_07_600.jpg[/IMG]

That would be easier to adapt than Beast Boy and Starfire.

I fear they will not have the budget to proper do justice to the craziness of Beast Boy.

I've never been a fan of mainline DC comics, but if it has Vertigo stuff, I'm down as fuck. There are so many Vertigo comics I've been wanting to read for a while now.

I would be surprised if they include vertigo. at least at the beginning. I am expecting early era DC stuff, not even modern stuff. based off that promo pic.

I doubt they will include Vertigo due to the mature content, much like Marvel Unlimited does not include Epic, Knights, etc. It limits the spread of the application.

Ah man this worries me, if this service bombs what happens to young justice? ☹️ Hopefully s3 doesnt end on a cliff hanger at the very least like s2 did

abundant

But what did YS have going for it besides Community? This service will have atleast two shows at launch, with a possibility of more being launched with it (Comic Con is coming up and the WB digital upfront is May 5th), plus we're likely getting comics with it as well.

That doesn't matter. The fact is launching a new Digital Service with a small library is extremely risky when you're competing against juggernauts like HBOGO, Prime, and Netflix. Could it be a success? Who knows, but with what we know now, there's a chance that it won't.

RedHill

Banned
That doesn't matter. The fact is launching a new Digital Service with a small library is extremely risky when you're competing against juggernauts like HBOGO, Prime, and Netflix. Could it be a success? Who knows, but with what we know now, there's a chance that it won't.
Yeah, it does matter. Marvel Unlimited, a $10 monthly app with comics only, is doing just fine. A similar DC app with also media content would do even better.

abundant

Yeah, it does matter. Marvel Unlimited, a $10 monthly app with comics only, is doing just fine. A similar DC app with also media content would do even better.

This isn't the same, not even close. Marvel Unlimited doesn't need to worry about funding original programming, which isn't cheap, so what they consider "doing just fine" certainly won't be what DC considers "doing just fine". There's simply no way to predict how big of a hit this would be, but that still doesn't change the fact that they're taking an extreme risk doing it.

If it's their entire comic library in HQ, I will sub and stay subbed. If it's more limited in its scope or not HQ then I'll just stick to Hoopla and it's free mediocre quality.

PS look into Hoopla.

It's interesting that you think the D.C. comics will stay on Hoopla after this service starts. I'm a lot more pessimistic.

Penguin

This isn't the same, not even close. Marvel Unlimited doesn't need to worry about funding original programming, which isn't cheap, so what they consider "doing just fine" certainly won't be what DC considers "doing just fine". There's simply no way to predict how big of a hit this would be, but that still doesn't change the fact that they're taking an extreme risk doing it.

I agree, and they have several months to pad it out.

Right now, the fan in me is super stoked.

The guy who looks at industries... doesn't see this in the market by 2020, but until then I am curious to see what they pump into the service to make it viable.

RedHill

Banned
Personally, this would've been better as an overall WB streaming service, maybe with a LotR and Harry Potter original thrown in for good mix. But, I'm a huge DC fan so I'm still stoked.

PS look into Hoopla.
Marvel is getting people to pay $10 a month for shit image quality. I expect DC will do the same. :(

Possible tease of the line-up or just a good pic?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-gPkNNUMAAT0Oz.jpg[/IMG

[url]https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/857952854601904128[/url][/QUOTE]

Thats the first cover to Johns' run on Teen Titans from 15 years ago or so. It could also be the line-up though.

Interesting. Can't wait. Don't worry Netflix signed some multiyear deal with CW and stole it from hulu last year so those shows will still be on there (hopefully)

KonradLaw

Interesting. Can't wait. Don't worry Netflix signed some multiyear deal with CW and stole it from hulu last year so those shows will still be on there (hopefully)

I would be shocked if any content on this thing would be exclusive. Much more likekely scenario is that those shows will just debut there and then after a short while appear on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon, or on all of them.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Cast breakdowns have been "leaked"

http://titanstv.net/titans-live-action-series-character-breakdowns-surface/

[John Crossland] Male, late 20s-early 30s, Caucasian. Equal parts charm and impenetrability, John is a cop. He has a nice smile, tired eyes and a cool, distant manner. However, when provoked, his eyes are so lethal “they drain a man of every last bit of spleen.” John is haunted by the murder of his family. Unbeknownst to those around him, he is also a vigilante. In the shadows, he fights with the commitment and conviction of an artist, the brutal grace of a dancer. Mentally and physically, he is covered in a map of scars. And though he fights to escape his past, it is often a losing battle…SERIES LEAD

[SARAH] Female, Mid teens, Open Ethnicity. Troubled, bullied, often scared but unwilling to show it, Sarah is a loner more comfortable hiding in her hoodie than making friends. Haunted by a dark force inside her, Sarah experiences violent episodes that she cannot understand or control. She is also plagued by recurring nightmares that lead her across the country in search of help…SERIES REGULAR

[Casey] Female, 20s, Open ethnicity. Casey is a tall, stunning woman, her beauty so magnificent it’s almost inhuman. Elegant, refined and mysterious, she is on the hunt to discover who is trying to kill her and why. And those after her are in for a surprise because she’s more deadly than anyone they’ve ever encountered…SERIES REGULAR

[JAX] Male, Mid-late teens, Open Ethnicity, Asian preferred. Funny and charming, this amateur thief’s humor hides his insecurities and past pain. Not the toughest kid on the streets, he’s learned to survive in the world with his wit and quick-thinking…SERIES REGULAR

Nightwing
Raven
Starfire
Beast Boy

Let's do this!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
An executive stipulating that the star of their show must be white is the only takeaway from that for me.

I do hope it's the usual vaguely similar character casting stuff at work. Because otherwise everyone has a secret, tortured past that they must reckon with and it sounds kinda boring.

iosefe

An executive stipulating that the star of their show must be white is the only takeaway from that for me.

I do hope it's the usual vaguely similar character casting stuff at work. Because otherwise everyone has a secret, tortured past that they must reckon with and it sounds kinda boring.

they need their Dick to be white

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom