• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

Eiknarf

Banned
Hey guys, this game is currently on sale and I'm tempted to buy it. Is it worth it??

I feel that this will become way cheaper (if not free on PS+ in the next months and the Steam Winter Sale is so near that I'm afraid to buy and not play it...

Is this a must-play or just a ok experience?
I was expecting to dislike it

I loved it

bitbydeath

Hey guys, this game is currently on sale and I'm tempted to buy it. Is it worth it??

I feel that this will become way cheaper (if not free on PS+ in the next months and the Steam Winter Sale is so near that I'm afraid to buy and not play it...

It has a long evolution of abilities as you start out in more of a stealth genre since guns are crap, ammo is scarce and you die easy, keep playing though and you eventually become rambo on a motorcycle.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Got back into it after putting it down months ago. I just tricked out my motorcycle with the Horizon Zero Dawn print and I'm loving it. Game is good and I'm enjoying it. If this is the foundation thy have to work on, sequel is going to be fire.

Last edited:

kyussman

I'm starting this game in the next few days...so many difficulty settings...I usually go with hard for big open world games but I've heard hard is not that taxing,thinking of going with hard II....any impressions of that difficulty from anyone?......I'm not interested in the hudless survival difficulties.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm starting this game in the next few days...so many difficulty settings...I usually go with hard for big open world games but I've heard hard is not that taxing,thinking of going with hard II....any impressions of that difficulty from anyone?......I'm not interested in the hudless survival difficulties.
Hard is a cakewalk.
Not tried the other one, but hard is piss easy after some upgrades.

desertdroog

I returned this game when I got it due to the initial issues being reported. I chickened out and had some backlog to get through. I just rebought it since it seems like the devs have addressed a lot of them. Currently going through RDR2, when that is done, I'll drive back in.

Third Person Action Adventure games are one of my top three types of genres for games.

Eiknarf

Banned
I returned this game when I got it due to the initial issues being reported. I chickened out and had some backlog to get through. I just rebought it since it seems like the devs have addressed a lot of them. Currently going through RDR2, when that is done, I'll drive back in.

Third Person Action Adventure games are one of my top three types of genres for games.
The game is great
Replaying it now

I literally have no issues with this game

Eiknarf

Banned
Is there ANY downloadable content that I could buy just to add even more to this awesome game?
I’d love to buy a rocket launcher or some shit where I could take out a horde from a distance

bitbydeath

Is there ANY downloadable content that I could buy just to add even more to this awesome game?
I’d love to buy a rocket launcher or some shit where I could take out a horde from a distance

Nope. All DLC (challenges and additional skins) they made was given away for free.

It wasn't as bad as the critics made it out to be. I actually liked when they focused on the gang warfare/collecting bounties rather than the zombie angle. This is a personal take as I am just burnt on zombies.

Kamina

Golden Boy
A week ago i finally jumped in when it was on sale on the PS Store.
Today, after playing it for several hours every day, exactly a week later I finished the game, and it was a fantastic experience.
Yes, it has some glitches, but the story was very engaging, and the main characte’s personal quest was emotionally loaded and really pulled me in.

All in all its a must have PS4 game, for everyone who enjoys open world games.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Bumpity bump.

Just wanted to say that I finally got started on Days Gone last week, after losing interest in Far Cry New Dawn and dropping it. I was in the mood for something new and I've got quite a bit of time on my hands for the next few weeks, so I jumped right in and motored through about 10-15 hours already.

I think it's a bloody good game. I can see the rough edges, but so far nothing has spoiled my fun and I'm feeling totally immersed. I like the mild sim elements with the bike and appreciate the slower, more methodical approach to gunfights where I need to take care aiming my shots and watch my ammo. I feel grounded in the world. I can't wait to get powered up and return hours later to fuck up these swarms of freakers.

Deek is a great main character. I watched Skill Up's review a while back and I can already see why he put Deacon up there with Arthur Morgan and Joel. I like the guy, he has layers and I want to see his story through.

I'm already in that zone where I can't wait to put the game back on again.

One of the few i did everything and even got the platinum. It has some writing issues especially with Deek and his lady but there are some good characters and a really good ending. Funny my 2 favorite new ips in the last few years both zombie related, Dying Light the other. Remember when everyone was crying about zombie games?
No doubt the sequel for this game should be near the top of expectations, with such solid foundation to build on.

GymWolf

One of the few i did everything and even got the platinum. It has some writing issues especially with Deek and his lady but there are some good characters and a really good ending. Funny my 2 favorite new ips in the last few years both zombie related, Dying Light the other. Remember when everyone was crying about zombie games?
No doubt the sequel for this game should be near the top of expectations, with such solid foundation to build on.
i low-key founded the writing for dick and lady dick better than other more awarded aaa game...not always consistent if i have to find a problem.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I hear that some people had a hard time with the game initially. It does just drop you in there with a couple of clumsy cutscenes and I would understand if somebody thought "Why should I care about this guy?". The story does start to reveal itself slowly, but the scenes of Deacon remembering his life with Sarah caught me immediately. Those scenes have a warm, sweet glow about them, which contrasts well with the grim nature of the main timeline. I like them both straight away.

Maybe not the most original stuff I've ever seen. But good stuff nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Decided to restart since I didnt play for a while and wasnt far in it anyway.

Nearly called quit again quite a couple of times but now that I am further in it I have to say this game is pretty cool.

The writing can be a bit off sometimes but i am enjoying it more then I would have thought I would.

If it keeps this way or even gets better I am starting to wonder why so many reviewers hated id. Was the release in a bad time maybe? After RDR 2 and I remember lot of people being open-world tired. I know I was tired of it which was why I quit if before.

Graphics blow me away too man! Its really beautiful to look at and drive trough. Feels alive as well

Rien

Jelly Belly
Because the main character is a white male.

Seriously. That was one of the major complaints from most popular outlets.
Because the main character is a white male.

Seriously. That was one of the major complaints from most popular outlets.

Funny! The game even mock itself for being too white during a conversation.
Thats what I mean with the writing. Its pretty good and self aware.

I cant see what any other open-world game in this Ubisoft style does better then Days Gone.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm now on my 4th playthrough of this game and have to say, it's bloody marvellous! I'd give it a 9/10 in its current state and it's the first game in a long time that I'm interested in the characters. Lisa (I'm no ripper) interests me greatly and I'm looking forward to how they develop her further in the future, not to mention the revelation in the continued play, post campaign with O'brean, throws up incredible potential. LOVE IT!

Skyr

I was just thinking. I hope it will have improved performance on PS5.
This game has so much loading stutters and asset streaming problems, it could really take advantage of the ssd. I hope they will put some effort into it.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Well this is a long-winded game. I'm starting to feel my eyes glaze over during the cutscenes.

Still enjoying it overall. Still like Deacon and want to see his story through. But this has turned into one of those ones where you really start to feel each hour rolling past. I'm thinking a shorter story would have been better here.

Not really digging the upgrades and perk system either. I've been at Iron Mike's (the third camp) for a while now, I'm quite deep into the game, and I don't really feel like I've made much notable progress one way or another with Deacon's abilities of gear.

There's definitely great stuff in here though. Still glad I got into it.

bitbydeath

Well this is a long-winded game. I'm starting to feel my eyes glaze over during the cutscenes.

Still enjoying it overall. Still like Deacon and want to see his story through. But this has turned into one of those ones where you really start to feel each hour rolling past. I'm thinking a shorter story would have been better here.

Not really digging the upgrades and perk system either. I've been at Iron Mike's (the third camp) for a while now, I'm quite deep into the game, and I don't really feel like I've made much notable progress one way or another with Deacon's abilities of gear.

There's definitely great stuff in here though. Still glad I got into it.

Keep going you’re probably close to the halfway point of the game now. Still plenty more levelling up to do.

iorek21

Even after all your recommendations, I bought this game with a lot of doubt, but maaaan, I was so wrong.

Day's Gone is amazing and criminally underrated!

It has its shortcomings, yes, specially in the technical side - loadings during cutscene>gameplay transitions -, some occasional stutter also bothered me.

But jeez, this game is awesome. It has one of the best open worlds, story is on par with stuff like RDR2 (Deacon is a hell of a protagonist).

If it had a little more polish, it would be on the Top 3 PS4 exclusives EASY

I love it

Vroadstar

Really sad news about the Days Gone voice actor more so since I just bought the game and currently playing and enjoying it. As another poster said, it's really criminally underrated.

AceofJakes

Rest in peace.

What a shame. Looks like days gone is going to be the next Sony staple franchise and he would have been along for riding the broken road.

CrysisFreak

Banned
A misunderstood game for sure.
It's a slow burn I guess but there's tons of great things about it.
One thing that should be noted is that it's quite long really. You think you can blast through this in 20 hours? Hell no.
And that does not mean that they cut corners in their production value in terms of VA and mocap and stuff like that. It's crazy just how MUCH this game has in it.
Really, this is a long game considering its merits.
Zombie hords are intense as FUCK. Some insane graphics. Motorcycle physics have this momentum and intertia to them, very impressive and well animated.
Nice shooting too. I like the vibe too.
I hope they get to make a sequel featuring a recap vid of the first game that should be their Uncharted 2 moment tbh.
Days Gone fans unite, fuck the haters they don't get it.
Oh yeah one thing this game got tons of soul. Really, tons of soul. Sure as hell more soul than generic AAA iteration Ubisoft-Activision Boogaloo #279.
Which makes the accusation of being generic before the release so funny. Game is cool, despite being different imho. Feel the soul.
Again fuck the haters idc. You could also feel the enthusiasm in the dev interviews leading up to the game's release.
And as far as I know sales are good or even great. So there you go. Soul.

Matsuchezz

I just beaten the game and its really good, the acting is good, and there a few punch lines here and there, technically is beautiful, with some bugs here and there, there are a few additional cut-scenes if you continue playing it. it is a really good game.

DonJorginho

Banned
So because he's not the English speaking one he's not the "real" actor?

It's terrible that he's died and my heart goes out to his loved ones.

But technically he isn't the real actor, as the game originated and was made in the US where Sony Bend worked with Sam Witwer.

You wouldn't take away an Oscar from Leonardo DiCaprio as someone else did a German Dub for people from Germany for example.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Oh yeah one thing I forgot to mention is the game is really immersive, not just because of minor fuel your bike busy work (which is borderline neglectable anyway), but also because the way the world is structured, the outposts/villages, some of the ruined locations, the topology and so on, plus it's grounded. I usually don't like grounded games and just want the arcade experience, but in this game I was perfectly fine with it thanks to the immersion. I really was IN the game.

AceofJakes

It’s not the real Deacon actor dude

Sam Witwer is alive and well

I'm not that dumb, I understand Sam witwer is still alive and kicking.

Still doesn't diminish the work that he would have put into the role VA for deacon.

Just because his likeness isn't used throughout the game doesn't make him any less an actor.

Top Bottom