• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is this a hidden gem/underrated game? Because it sure felt like that after finishing it. Fuck the critics. Hopefully, they got a lot of sales so we see a sequel because after that O'Brian ending I just need to know more.

Getting close to the end to the end of the story (I think?) and at this point the game would have to take a giant shit to not become a new favorite. Its fucking great!

Honestly, I can get why critics may have marked it down for bugs on the initial release*, but I find it hard to believe that many of them played through all the way. To be truthful I find it to be far better than TLOU in terms of dealing with post-apocalyptic Americana. The character-work is far more nuanced and the game as a whole is refreshingly free of political(ly correct) editorializing, it feels "honest" in its shades-of-grey approach to intention and morality.

*Playing v1.11 has been pretty stable for me to be fair, a couple of instances of AI scripts freaking out, falling through the map at one spot, but nothing too frequent or game-breaking.

DanielsM

Banned
Getting close to the end to the end of the story (I think?) and at this point the game would have to take a giant shit to not become a new favorite. Its fucking great!

Honestly, I can get why critics may have marked it down for bugs on the initial release*, but I find it hard to believe that many of them played through all the way. To be truthful I find it to be far better than TLOU in terms of dealing with post-apocalyptic Americana. The character-work is far more nuanced and the game as a whole is refreshingly free of political(ly correct) editorializing, it feels "honest" in its shades-of-grey approach to intention and morality.

*Playing v1.11 has been pretty stable for me to be fair, a couple of instances of AI scripts freaking out, falling through the map at one spot, but nothing too frequent or game-breaking.

In my top 5 single player games of all-time, although I liked the first 10-15 hours more than the crowd. The series could go in all kinds of directions game mechanic wise.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Exactly. The corny dialogues and the way they act feels natural and it's what any American would probably act in a post-apocalyptic world if that were the case. I remember outlets complaining about the proposal scene and I honestly did not feel weirded out at all. It was cringe but the kind of cringe you'd expect from those type of people in reality rather than forced cringe. I loved it.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I just finished the main story while also completing many of the side story-lines. Really enjoyable game to me just as many others are indicating in the thread, and what stood out the most, though I did not grasp it at first, was even the secondary and third tier missions tied into a complete, contained story line that tracked your completion % of that story arch, Even though those story lines did not directly affect the main story arch, I felt a complete sense of accomplishment in finishing some of those stories, such as clearing the ripper camps etc, as they were tied via a narrative to one of the characters at the camp and felt connected to the whole world.

I enjoyed it so much I may do another play-through even given my backlog and upcoming games as I just want some more of that world.

Some ratings-
8.5 out of 10 on the story

9 out of 10 on the game play loop. ( really enjoyed the crafting mechanic, and controls when dealing with large hordes and the world in general)

7 out of 10 on the graphics, ( they were overall great, but for one of the very few times that texture pop-in was a noticeable issue for me was this game even on the Pro. Heading out from base camp and even during a cinematic, mountains would slowly load in textures so noticeable that it was distracting)

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
They’re releasing the first challenge in a patch today. It’s not live yet but should he in the next couple of hours. Here’s the deets from reddit:

I've been trying to push off replaying this as I didn't want to get burned out, but man, its hard to find a game I like more. I start another game and all I think about is... "man, Days Gone is more fun than this". Looking forward to seeing if any of these challenges are fun.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My favourite thing about the game is how chaotic things can get when multiple random events trigger on you in quick succession. You go, from "Oh shit its a horde", run like hell and on the way get jumped by wolves or worse, then as you're fighting that you hear gunshots and the sound of a marauder bike running ... meanwhile the horde is still following.... Shiiiit!

What's most surprising is that I've never found myself frustrated by it, its just fun when this happens.

EDIT: 1.21 is available now.

I've been trying to push off replaying this as I didn't want to get burned out, but man, its hard to find a game I like more. I start another game and all I think about is... "man, Days Gone is more fun than this". Looking forward to seeing if any of these challenges are fun.

I started a survival run right after getting the platinum and have kind of taken a break mainly to wait for these.

I’ve been bouncing between a few different games but nothing else draws me in like days gone currently. I’m checking out the DQ2 builders demo while waiting for the update to drop. 😂

My favourite thing about the game is how chaotic things can get when multiple random events trigger on you in quick succession. You go, from "Oh shit its a horde", run like hell and on the way get jumped by wolves or worse, then as you're fighting that you hear gunshots and the sound of a marauder bike running ... meanwhile the horde is still following.... Shiiiit!

What's most surprising is that I've never found myself frustrated by it, its just fun when this happens.

I totally agree! In this game I found myself absolutely busting up over some of the ridiculous deaths from both the chaos and the jank. Any game that can make that fun is good by me!

Last edited:
After giving up on Horizon new dawn because of how boring it felt, i was waiting for something new. Along came Days gone. I didn't get it day 1 because of reports of bugs but fast forward a month and few patches later. I finally came around finishing it.

Absolutely pathetic how this game was brushed under the rug by critics because it was ''speak his mind'' male protagonist judged solely on his appearance/character.

Not only is this game is a technical marvel, but the gameplay, the attachment it builds with the characters, the acting and animations, atmosphere, the curiosity to keep the story going. mechanics and the bike, everything worked well in tandem and kept me fully engaged till the very end. Very few games give the thrill of going after a massive horde like days gone does, it may be the only. Many complained the game was long, which i think was another necessary cherrypicking to bring the thunder down.

Games like this, i felt was so much worth to savour that i didn't want it to end. There are missions i still vividly remember, and probably will down the line.

I could see all the hard work brimming throughout the game. Unbelievable that it was absolutely robbed by the modern day critics. So much more ignored that its almost criminal. I hope to see the franchise come back stronger and bolder.

Edit: On a side note, i hope they add base building and survival mechanics like state of decay, only that they make it 100x better.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Are the magazine upgrades from shops permanent? As in if I change guns then switch back later is it still there or do I have to buy them again?

Virex

Banned
Is this a hidden gem/underrated game? Because it sure felt like that after finishing it. Fuck the critics. Hopefully, they got a lot of sales so we see a sequel because after that O'Brian ending I just need to know more.
Never really listen to critics or reviewers. Decide what you want to play with your own money. If it were for critics and reviewers there are a lot of amazing games I would never have played.

Never really listen to critics or reviewers. Decide what you want to play with your own money. If it were for critics and reviewers there are a lot of amazing games I would never have played.

I agree with you one hundred percent.

I do value some reviews/reviewers for details impressions on actual gameplay mechanics or story structures but as far as overall enjoyment I’ve found myself differing from mainstream reviews very often.

I mean, if a game is getting a zero from literally everyone, then okay, but for games in the 60-80 range there’s just too much subjectivity to allow myself to be totally influenced by someone else.

There have been a lot of games scored 80 or higher that I give up on after just a few hours.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like an asshole for letting the critical reception make me avoid picking this up day 1. I recently got it during a Newegg sale for 50% off and have put in around 7 hours since. The game is fantastic so far. Really just having a blast driving around and taking in the atmosphere while clearing out nests and doing missions. Definitely seems like one to savor.

I feel like an asshole for letting the critical reception make me avoid picking this up day 1. I recently got it during a Newegg sale for 50% off and have put in around 7 hours since. The game is fantastic so far. Really just having a blast driving around and taking in the atmosphere while clearing out nests and doing missions. Definitely seems like one to savor.

Was same for me. You wont believe how much the game opens up later on and how deep the story actually is. I feel like the reviewers based the review on the first 10 hours which really isnt much.

GHG

Gold Member
Need to get back into this at some point. The survival mode and new challenges look great.

Tritroid

Ok pretty sure I have a bug. I have ONE DAMN horde left to find, and it’s somewhere in the highway 97 area (listing 12/13), but I’ve been over every single horse location, and nothing. I’m post-game, so they all should be here. Anybody else had problems with this?

Edit: AAaaand never mind. Just got the bounty mission to investigate the mine for the beaver marsh horde - Jesus that one caught me off guard.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Finished clearing every horde a few days ago, even the extra "unmarked" one behind the barricade at Pillette Bridge without an issue. Only suggestion I can offer is that highway 97 runs pretty much the entire height of the eastern edge of the third map, so maybe look higher, rather than lower. Got a funny feeling one in the mountains is part of that group.

I'm at the point of no return and I'm not sure if I want to try doing hordes for unlocks or just go on with the story. I've already done 2 and they're no longer that bad since I have an LMG now. Kinda wished I dumped more skills into guns instead of melee though.

Went ahead and hunted for hordes instead of moving on with the story. Was surprisingly easy since most of the Cascade and Belknap hordes turned out to be pretty small, they're just scary as fuck at the start. Most of the Lost Lake ones aren't that huge either aside from the Metolius Cave one. I'm still too chicken to try the Sawmill and the Iron Butte hordes at the moment. Why is the Iron Butte horde not tracked in the map objectives though? The map says Iron Butte has no hordes.

Anyway I'm absolutely in love with the Auto Shotgun. I thought the Liberator was nice but this just has so much more ammo. The sense of progression in this game is just so good.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The Sawmill is part of the main story. Don't remember the other one. You can always continue playing after the main story. There are some important story scenes you unlock after the main game. Like really important.

The Sawmill is part of the main story. Don't remember the other one. You can always continue playing after the main story. There are some important story scenes you unlock after the main game. Like really important.
Can you give me a hint on how long after the credits roll in ? Got done with it a week ago.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Can you give me a hint on how long after the credits roll in ? Got done with it a week ago.

Sorry I don't know exactly how since I as well stopped a bit after the credits scene. I just watched it on youtube. I think you need to find all the Nero stuff to unlock it. Just watch the scene with O'Brien on youtube when you complete the game, if you haven't. It's great.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry I don't know exactly how since I as well stopped a bit after the credits scene. I just watched it on youtube. I think you need to find all the Nero stuff to unlock it. Just watch the scene with O'Brien on youtube when you complete the game, if you haven't. It's great.

I think the mission just becomes available in post-game if you have reached a certain percentage in the "World's End" storyline, which I believe is just the O'Brien missions and all 12 NERO checkpoints. Not to be confused with getting all NERO sites as thats for maxing all of Deke's stats and unlocking the secret weapon by collecting all 18 tech pieces.

You should just get a call while riding the world and the quest will pop.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I think the mission just becomes available in post-game if you have reached a certain percentage in the "World's End" storyline, which I believe is just the O'Brien missions and all 12 NERO checkpoints. Not to be confused with getting all NERO sites as thats for maxing all of Deke's stats and unlocking the secret weapon by collecting all 18 tech pieces.

You should just get a call while riding the world and the quest will pop.

Strange. I found all checkpoints and besides clearing the whole horde on the map I had nothing else to do I think. Maybe I should've roamed a bit more and then it might've popped. To be fair I fast traveled a lot. They should've have made that scene pre-credits as well as the whole horde clearing should've been a mid game thing. I can see why so many gave up on it since all the best stuff about the game is right at the end. Strange decisions on Bends's part.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You might have to ride a bit because, at least for me, going back to the game after the end-credits resulted in a series of additional quests and job notifactions being announced to me one after the other. I'd been pretty thorough with finishing up most stuff before the final point of no-return too.

I'm not 100% but my suspicion is that the game has a far greater likelihood of giving you radio notifications situationally. Pretty obviously it blocks them completely when you are in aggro'ed state or during scripted missions, but I think it also prioritizes based on where you are in the open world. So if you are near Lost Lake, you'll get missions/heads-ups relating to that camp ahead of missions from Tuck or Copeland further north, so you can end up back-logged if you aren't just free-roaming for a stretch of time.

I'm replaying at the moment on survival difficulty, and things seems to flow a lot more smoothly (in how it doles out quests) without fast-travel available.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Any idea how to reach the two nero locations in the south?

One is on a small island beside wizard island and the other is also surrounded by water on the bottom far right of the map?

DanielsM

Banned
Any idea how to reach the two nero locations in the south?

One is on a small island beside wizard island and the other is also surrounded by water on the bottom far right of the map?

Yup,, there is nature forming ramps nearby. imo, much easier to get to than the one in the north east. iirc you have to take nature forming back as well.

9:30 on the wizard island one. I think this contains them all but I haven't watched the whole video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom