• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Lead Devs Have Left Sony Bend Studio

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Oh no 2 developers left so the studio must be closing down!! :p

I find this sentiment so absurd. I haven't worked in an IT company where anyone on the lower floors panic when a higherup leaves. Work goes on anyway. Everyone can be replaced. It's not like the people on the top are rare geniuses and the people doing the actual work dumb fucks who can't think for themselves.

Besides that, I'd rather see Sony Bend working on a new IP than try to resussitate an IP that failed to hit the jackpot. I'm perfectly fine with a single game. I don't get the obsession to turn every new IP into a neverending series of sequels. I don't need Day Gone 2, Death Stranding 2 or even Ghost of Tshusima 2 (a game that I loved). Give me more fresh experiences instead. New worlds, new characters, different gameplay ideas.

bender

What time is it?
New worlds, new characters, different gameplay ideas.

giphy.gif

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
im fucking loving the game tbh, the world is incredibly detailed and rich and zipping around on your hog is class, nah top game and im sorry to see there wont be a sequel

bender

What time is it?
L..Logan will never die, don't say that.

Fck these zombie games we need the GOAT to come back

You're objectively wrong.

Also JCVD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Seagal

iu

I programmed to never be wrong. Clearing the Seagal low bar is no prize for JCVD. Both are have trash tier movie careers. JVCD has a dope commercial though.

RPSleon

I tried the game after it was updated a billion times simply because everyone was talking about how much better it was than at launch. I don't know man.....just didn't grab me for whatever reason. I'll say this though, the game is gorgeous to the point of console sorcery in my opinion. I hear it got a 60fps patch for PS5, and to be honest I'll bet the game's a spectacle at a higher frame rate. I'll try it again when I get a PS5 in 2022 to see if the high frame rate and improved load times help me to enjoy the game more.

It took me a little bit to get in to it. The bike was weird to control, but the upgrades really made it better. The fuel tank you start with has the fuel capacity of baked bean can.

Really makes a big difference when you start getting better guns, better bike parts and unlocking skills. The game almost feels TOO nerfed without them.

I played in hard mode. Apparently makes the survival part more enjoyable, read that it can be too easy in lower difficulty settings.

It is like alot of debut new ips. Rough around the edges, a good idea with some excellent parts (the hordes man, incredible) and some things that need work. Id love to see it advance in the way uncharted did between 1 and 2.

The game, and what it does well, is fantastic. I went from "meh, its alright, hasnt grabbed my attention much", to getting platinum last night and looking forward to playing ng+

As for playing on ps5. Its where it SHOULD be played. If you havent got a ps5 yet, id say wait it out.
Perfectly smooth 4k 60fps from what i can see. Even in situations where ive got smoke bombs and explosions going off during stealth kill animations. This game has detail i didnt know it had going from ps4 on an old 1080p screen to ps5 on my q90t. And the loading is much better. Not instant. But fast travel is much better now.

Id love to see another patch to add in extra visual features. Rt reflections and better water interaction would be welcome.

TLDR Slow start, but i loved it and got platinum. Enhanced alot by 4k60 and ps5.

I programmed to never be wrong. Clearing the Seagal low bar is no prize for JCVD. Both are have trash tier movie careers. JVCD has a dope commercial though.
JCVD has a great (early) movie career. He fcked up later with hookers and booze though.

Also:
niu6Ztw.png

p1eQIo9.png

You're scrap metal with bad progamming Bender.

sublimit

Banned
I find this sentiment so absurd. I haven't worked in an IT company where anyone on the lower floors panic when a higherup leaves. Work goes on anyway. Everyone can be replaced. It's not like the people on the top are rare geniuses and the people doing the actual work dumb fucks who can't think for themselves.

Besides that, I'd rather see Sony Bend working on a new IP than try to resussitate an IP that failed to hit the jackpot. I'm perfectly fine with a single game. I don't get the obsession to turn every new IP into a neverending series of sequels. I don't need Day Gone 2, Death Stranding 2 or even Ghost of Tshusima 2 (a game that I loved). Give me more fresh experiences instead. New worlds, new characters, different gameplay ideas.
Exactly.
Maybe some people (like the OP) confuse "senior" developer as someone who has been many years in the studio and therefore being very "crucial" but that title doesn't mean anything really. You can be "senior" level designer for example even if in your first year at a company. It all depends on your prior experience.

People come and go all the time from companies and especially at the start of new generations. And we're usually only learn about when people are leaving and not when they are hired due to NDAs.
For all we know Sony Bend may have already replaced those two who left with five new recruitments (especially when you take into account Sony's focus on organic growth).

bender

What time is it?
JCVD has a great (early) movie career. He fcked up later with hookers and booze though.

Also:
niu6Ztw.png

p1eQIo9.png

You're scrap metal with bad progamming Bender.

I lived through the days of those games before Metacritic existed. JCVD's early movies sucked too and were only good if you didn't have access to Asian martial arts flicks. In conclusion, bite my shiny metal ass. <3

Best of luck to them, Days Gone was great and would hugely benefited from the refinement a sequel usually brings, so hopefully that will still happen.

Business

I played a few hours but I really couldn't get into it. Open world repetitive chores, weak gunplay, I didn't really enjoy the gas mechanic and the whole "this world comes for you" motto of the game was more annoying than anything, the nth time I got hit by the same sniper and two guys coming for me while riding from A to B I decided enough was enough. Some people can repeat underrated all hey want but the game was not on par with the output of the rest of Sony's first party studios.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hordes were the worst part of the game.

Not when you are properly tooled up to handle them.

As per usual people complaining about not enough hordes early on aren't really thinking it through. Taking down a horde requires a lot of resources, so until late game where your ability to use/craft the strongest weapons and acquire resources is maxed or close to, its a really bad idea to take on any of the bigger hordes.

Concern

Two Devs out of what 100-150(one is a writer right?) have left Sony Bend and yes they were Senior and involved with Days Gone creation... hence the completely genuine “concern creation headline” thread subject (and OP). Job done ✅... ;).

Two lead devs, so I feel the game may not come or writing will take a hit.

Not everyone is like you, looking for console warring. Don't like the thread, stay out of it 😉.

DonJorginho

Banned
Why would you want that if the lead devs are gone?
The writing was the worst part of the game, John Garvin who left was the main writer, as much as I love him, his departure is a pro for the game's narrative.

Game companies can thrive without people there, they bring in new talent who can help propel their respective studios to never before seen heights.

Days Gone deserves a sequel, Sony fucked them over with announcing their game on the same day as TLOU2 was shown (I believe that was the case). Not to forget reviewers marking down the game for stupid shit like a lack of BAME freakers? What a bunch of shit.

DonJorginho

Banned
Hordes were the worst part of the game.

They were easily the best part, they required strategy and played on your nerves and adrenaline, it was amazing to mow down hundreds of freakers, surviving by the skin of your teeth with your last napalm molotov.

Last edited:
The game had some rough technical flaws with optimization but I need to take my hat off for Bend aiming high for their first triple-A title being an open-world game with a dynamic weather system that had snow pilling-up in the vegetation (and a little on the road) in real-time. The technology behind the Hordes of zombies was so cool too, being the sole reason that sold me in the game the moment I saw it for the first time. Story-wise it could be better because the start is slow as fuck and not that engaging, otherwise, the game is great for the most part.

I can only expect the studio to do something great with all the experience gained from this game, may that be a sequel or something entirely different.

Concern

The writing was the worst part of the game, John Garvin who left was the main writer, as much as I love him, his departure is a pro for the game's narrative.

Game companies can thrive without people there, they bring in new talent who can help propel their respective studios to never before seen heights.

Days Gone deserves a sequel, Sony fucked them over with announcing their game on the same day as TLOU2 was shown (I believe that was the case). Not to forget reviewers marking down the game for stupid shit like a lack of BAME freakers? What a bunch of shit.

I enjoyed the story and a sequel is needed considering the ending. Only thing was annoying was some of the cringiest lines like the wedding one.

Translation: I suck at video games/am a pussy.

They were easily the best part, they required strategy and played on your nerves and adrenaline, it was amazing to mow down hundreds of freakers, surviving by the skin of your teeth with your last napalm molotov.

Having a horde chase me into a bandit csmp was always hilarious as well. They basically annihilated each other and I pick off the scraps 🤣🤣.

LDS

Banned
That’s disappointing, I started playing it with the PS5 in the collection and while not perfect it’s pretty dang fun.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I wasn't a fan of this at launch however the PS5 version is really something else. The graphics are what you could consider next gen for sure. That space sky box!!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not at all, game is very underrated.

when I buy a game months after release and textures don’t load in and I fall thru the floor because the road didn’t work, I tend to move on.

Maybe it got better but already made a bad impression.

DonJorginho

Banned
Totally agree. Game was woeful.
Story sucked, the voice acting was awful, the names of the characters were cringe as hell, I mean ALOY? Give me a break.

The gameplay was okay but nothing special, the platforming was like Uncharted 1, felt so last gen, the open world was pretty but lifeless, the sidequests were atrocious and the final boss was the worst I have ever experienced, such an anticlimax too.

Frozen Wilds was an improvement for sure, but I need to see more of Horizon II before I pre-order.

Reactions: MrS

DonJorginho

Banned
when I buy a game months after release and textures don’t load in and I fall thru the floor because the road didn’t work, I tend to move on.

Maybe it got better but already made a bad impression.
I played the game on launch and platinumed it in two weeks and encountered no bugs aside from one horde that wouldn't spawn until I closed the game and reloaded, maybe you were just unlucky mate, or maybe I was lucky who knows?

GymWolf

Oh cmon, i really want days gone 2, the secret finale was straight fire.

And the ryzen cpu is gonna do WONDERS for this type of game.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Idk, seems Jim Ryan's SIE is pretty ruthless to cull staff from underperforming games? 🤷‍♀️

DAYS GONE didn't underperform, lol. You have no clue wtf your talking about. If it underperformed Bend would not have got the increase in size or facility. He was lead on Days gone, looks like they are shifting to a new IP. So he left since Days gone was his baby.

wolywood

I know this is nitpicky, but I found the lead character voice acting super distracting. It sounded like he was trying to do a fake deep voice and it was completely unnatural. The game itself was a lot better than the initial reviews made it seem though.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Days Gone was a nice bonus other games are favored but yeah I got it in my PS4 top 5 must play games I congratulate Bend Games on making it, killing a hoard of freaks is an incredible feeling.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Two lead devs, so I feel the game may not come or writing will take a hit.

Not everyone is like you, looking for console warring. Don't like the thread, stay out of it 😉.

Sure man... :rolleyes:, keep throwing the warrior insult around trying to get it to stick.

So two senior people in a large org leave and this is cause for fear and uncertainty... Look I am not saying it is good news, but you are being over dramatic :p.

Top Bottom