• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Lead Devs Have Left Sony Bend Studio

RNG

Aw man I was looking forward to Days Gone 2 utilizing Zen 2 processor with the zambies and hoping for it to become the Uncharted 2 of the series.

One of them has been working at Bend for 20+ years so I would assume he's retiring in a way as implied by his tweet. The other, well, seems like he's getting a different job, I wonder why though

bxrz

ILMwrcAUPhhVw1kd5GCUpFkR8um3dnhuP3Nvlvz2Ndk.png

May be a downgrade if you ask me.

Also seems Bend Studio is working on a new IP. Makes sense I guess as Days Gone was one of the least well-received/successful Sony open-world games along with Death Stranding.

EoMM0kmXYAEncUb
Thats interesting. From Days Gone to fighting games

Well that sucks. I still need to finish this game. Got a back log though and Cyberpunk is about to be added to it, so it will be a good while. Hope it gets a sequel in the future and it doesn't go woke on us.

That sucks, hope whoever takes over does the sequel justice. The potential is out of this world.

DG is my favorite PS4 game and was my game of the year. The game play and atmosphere alone are worth double dipping on PC if it ever comes out.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The creative director leaving is an awesome sign.

That studio badly needed new leadership. Hope he lands on his feet but it needed to happen after Days Gone.

Lol, sorry but a studio taking all that time to make something so generic and mediocre should not be tolerated.

Sony is going to keep Sucker Punch together because Ghost was such a success, but you shouldn't have more than one studio like that.

Excelsior!

It's not generic or mediocre. In fact the horde killing aspect is unrivaled in all of gaming at the moment. Nothing comes close.

Elcid

Banned
......did you actually play it?

Or even had it in your hands and played it at a friends house?

Because idk, I may not be the biggest fan of the game, but i definitely think that a lot of reviewers were harsher than they should be and nitpicking of some really dumb points.

I think it deserves a proper shot at a sequel, to be fair.

But I won't be upset if they came out with a brand new ip either.
He obviously didn't play it.

Warablo

I just think it having a slow start, similar to tlou presentation, and the whole motorcycle biker in Oregon didn't strike people very well. I still need to give it chance after a short two times already.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It's not generic or mediocre. In fact the horde killing aspect is unrivaled in all of gaming at the moment. Nothing comes close.

The problem is the game barely leans on the mechanic. I'm not really a fan of the story or cast of characters but you can say that comes down to personal preference and I'll not argue. The world they created was beautiful, but it really doesn't offer anything all that interesting outside of the infrequently used aforementioned horde mechanic. It really feels like a game that game out five or six years too late. I do commend the studio for their continued support of the game, but the state of the game did it no favors.

The problem is the game barely leans on the mechanic. I'm not really a fan of the story or cast of characters but you can say that comes down to personal preference and I'll not argue. The world they created was beautiful, but it really doesn't offer anything all that interesting outside of the infrequently used aforementioned horde mechanic. It really feels like a game that game out five or six years too late. I do commend the studio for their continued support of the game, but the state of the game did it no favors.

I mean... there's 40 hordes...

Kagey K

Banned
I’m not supposed to have an opinion on this game anymore, but since everyone is allowed to let their opinion fly im goimg to add mine.

Everyone claims the game got blasted for having a white biker as the protagonist, but in Reality the game wasn’t good or fun when it came out.

Now after a bunch of patches and fixes, it seems like it’s at least up to par for some, but people never go back and look at the fixed version, they only see that initial review.

It’s too bad they couldn’t get it right, right out of the gate, but it’s not the first and won’t be the last that gets nailed for it.

Raven117

Gold Member
I thought it had some of the best character development and writing. The characters were flawed, but they fought to overcome it. I dunno, more naturally written than tlou.

I would love a sequel but I'd like to see some additions for travel like horses because at some point you are going to run out of places to get gas. Would also like to see an adult version of that pup accompany you on your missions if you'd like.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The reviews were bullshit for the game. Journalists crying about a white male protagonist and shit like that.

Was way underrated imo and I definitely want a sequel.

One of the best games I've played ever from story, gameplay, acting, world and atmosphere. And a white biker is something new as a protagonist as they've been always painted as gangsters and bad people, maybe they wanna keep that stereotype perspective going?

Calling him boring or mediocre is one of the biggest lies in gaming history. I personally never seen an actor this organic and believable that is closest to real life with all the conflicts that would be associated in such conditions. Most of the actors been brilliant and this game has been tortured for having a white protagonist as some reviews blatantly stated!

Well, funny that not many are talking about EA making typing "white man" a taboo "***** ***" in the BF5 chat. Isn't this extremely racist? Imagine saying the same for other races, and worse is it's mostly said by some whites as well like some kind of self-hating.

Politics also got its reach on Ghost of Tsushima critics for being an honorable man with no "interesting" agendas.

Last edited:

Robins

I'm currently playing it now on PS5 and it's a shame it probably won't get a sequel. It's the first zombie game I have played that actually represents how being over run like in the movies might actually feel. When you see a swarm of them and you know your only choice is to run, it is pretty great.

I'll admit for me it's a buggy mess but considering it was a PS4 unreal engine game on those jaguar CPUs Im still Impressed.

GHG

Gold Member
That's a shame. I really enjoyed Days Gone for what it was, even at launch.

I thought the game sold enough for them to give it a second shot and turn it into a franchise but apparently not...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There goes my hope for Days Gone 2

Two Devs out of what 100-150(one is a writer right?) have left Sony Bend and yes they were Senior and involved with Days Gone creation... hence the completely genuine “concern creation headline” thread subject (and OP). Job done ✅... ;).

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I thought the game sold enough for them to give it a second shot and turn it into a franchise but apparently not...

It sold well, player count is something beyond 7M which is very impressive. I think him leaving doesn't really mean bad things, as someone might get similar/better offer on his home city around his relatives and chooses to go. Developing a game must be an extremely stressful job so being surrounded by people you love helps making your life easier.

TLOU2 had many departures yet the game is still a masterpiece. A sequel is inevitable, especially after the secret ending (don't look it up if you didn't play/finish the game as it's offered for free on PS Collections on PS5 in case you're hesitant).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Then again it is two people, not sure they are shutting the studio down or cancelling a sequel... yet.

If they do it is a shitty decision as SIE needs their AA devs to provide variety and fill a lot of niches. This game was also really good.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Two Devs out of what 100-150(one is a writer right?) have left Sony Bend and yes they were Senior and involved with Days Gone creation... hence the completely genuine “concern creation headline” thread subject (and OP). Job done ✅... ;).

I think Concern Concern genuinely loves the game and his concerns are legit. But as you said, devs always go in and out of studios so no need to panic.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Days Gone is meh.

That weird Deacon running animation always sticks out. It's like he's tip-toeing and sprinting at the same time.

The setting has tons of potential. IMO they just fell slightly short of it being a good (not amazing) game. This IP in the hands of more seasoned developers would be amazing.

Its enjoyable but It could have been way better.
its a good game , and got an excellent ps5 patch , deacon runs exactly like gabe logan from syphon filter, its like they r wearing diapers

turtlepowa

Banned
I didn't finish the game. I got half way through what I believe is the last area (the military base encampment which reintroduced your wife) and the horde mechanic was used all of two times up until that point.
Stop at this point, the whole military part sucked ans felt like timesink, they should have ended the game before.

MrS

Banned
ILMwrcAUPhhVw1kd5GCUpFkR8um3dnhuP3Nvlvz2Ndk.png

May be a downgrade if you ask me.

Also seems Bend Studio is working on a new IP. Makes sense I guess as Days Gone was one of the least well-received/successful Sony open-world games along with Death Stranding.

EoMM0kmXYAEncUb
And yet Death Stranding and Days Gone are miles better than Horizon Zero Dawn.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Ozzie666

Days Gone would definitely win the gaming version award for the most improved player. If that existed.
or finished a distant second to FFXIV 1.0.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
And yet Death Stranding and Days Gone are miles better than Horizon Zero Dawn.

I'd rank them all about the same which isn't incredibly favorable. Bonus points to Death Stranding for an unique but ultimately dull concept and props to HZD for robot dinosaurs.

bitbydeath

Then again it is two people, not sure they are shutting the studio down or cancelling a sequel... yet.

If they do it is a shitty decision as SIE needs their AA devs to provide variety and fill a lot of niches. This game was also really good.

I think it’s safe to say Sony really liked it.

images

15hours into Days Gone on the PS5, having a blast playing it. I think the game should've launched on the PS5 instead of PS4/Pro. Nighty and Day difference thanks to 60fps at 4K

I didn't finish the game. I got half way through what I believe is the last area (the military base encampment which reintroduced your wife) and the horde mechanic was used all of two times up until that point.

You're approaching it the way the journalists did, then, reacting to the element as it's handled in the main story line. When the story finishes the game marks every horde on the map for you.

bender

What time is it?
You're approaching it the way the journalists did, then, reacting to the element as it's handled in the main story line. When the story finishes the game marks every horde on the map for you.

No idea what journalists did. I spent a lot o time with the game and got bored. I didn't rush or just mainline the story either, as my OCD brain doesn't allow me to do that in open world games. I spent a long time with the game before giving up due to boredom.

No idea what journalists did. I spent a lot o time with the game and got bored. I didn't rush or just mainline the story either, as my OCD brain doesn't allow me to do that in open world games. I spent a long time with the game before giving up due to boredom.

Do you not see the problem with saying they don't have enough hordes just because you didn't run into them enough, though? Like I said, beating the campaign marks the hordes on your map and there's 40, so it's not really fair to say the game doesn't have enough because you only experienced 2 of them. Personally I found a lot of them on my own and if you've dealt with them in the campaign you're ready for them and can find them on your own, they aren't too hard since they're huge and you get used to the way they work, they have a hide out and they have a place where they get food/water. For me there's nothing boring about this stuff...

bender

What time is it?
Do you not see the problem with saying they don't have enough hordes just because you didn't run into them enough, though? Like I said, beating the campaign marks the hordes on your map and there's 40, so it's not really fair to say the game doesn't have enough because you only experienced 2 of them. Personally I found a lot of them on my own and if you've dealt with them in the campaign you're ready for them and can find them on your own, they aren't too hard since they're huge and you get used to the way they work, they have a hide out and they have a place where they get food/water. For me there's nothing boring about this stuff...

No, I don't see the problem. Not one bit. Not at all. If I had only played for a handful of hours or just mainlined the story without exploring, you might have a point. But I didn't, I'm guessing I eclipsed 20 hours in the game easily. I also didn't say there weren't enough hordes on the map, I said they were used infrequently. And while the hordes are some of the more compelling content the game offered, I wouldn't call that experience transformative either and certainly not enough to carry on with the tedium the rest of game presents.

Top Bottom