• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Lead Devs Have Left Sony Bend Studio

Concern

Days Gone was created by Sony Bend Studio and headed by two senior developers, Jeff Ross and John Garvin, who have left the studio.

In an announcement that was shared by the Twitter account of Jeff Ross, he confirmed that today is the last day for him at Sony Bend Studio. He also talked about looking forward to new challenges ahead and sharing his plans later.

There goes my hope for Days Gone 2

THEAP99

Banned
ILMwrcAUPhhVw1kd5GCUpFkR8um3dnhuP3Nvlvz2Ndk.png

May be a downgrade if you ask me.

Also seems Bend Studio is working on a new IP. Makes sense I guess as Days Gone was one of the least well-received/successful Sony open-world games along with Death Stranding.

EoMM0kmXYAEncUb

Last edited:
Days Gone is meh.

That weird Deacon running animation always sticks out. It's like he's tip-toeing and sprinting at the same time.

The setting has tons of potential. IMO they just fell slightly short of it being a good (not amazing) game. This IP in the hands of more seasoned developers would be amazing.

I bought Days Gone on Amazon Black Friday Deal this year. Looking forward to play it.
Best of luck to him.
Its enjoyable but It could have been way better.

Last edited:

Concern

ILMwrcAUPhhVw1kd5GCUpFkR8um3dnhuP3Nvlvz2Ndk.png

May be a downgrade if you ask me.

Also seems Bend Studio is working on a new IP. Makes sense I guess as Days Gone was one of the least well-received/successful Sony open-world games along with Death Stranding.

EoMM0kmXYAEncUb

The reviews were bullshit for the game. Journalists crying about a white male protagonist and shit like that.

Was way underrated imo and I definitely want a sequel.

sublimit

Banned
Oh no 2 developers left so the studio must be closing down!! :p

But seriously just because 2 developers left from a team of 150 people (could be more than that) doesn't mean there will be no Days Gone 2.This game was Sony Bend's first try on an open world game and the experience they got would be very valuable for a sequel.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I tried the game after it was updated a billion times simply because everyone was talking about how much better it was than at launch. I don't know man.....just didn't grab me for whatever reason. I'll say this though, the game is gorgeous to the point of console sorcery in my opinion. I hear it got a 60fps patch for PS5, and to be honest I'll bet the game's a spectacle at a higher frame rate. I'll try it again when I get a PS5 in 2022 to see if the high frame rate and improved load times help me to enjoy the game more.

Eternal21

I remember looking forward to this game when it was first announced. Those fights with fluid zombie hordes looked really good. Then the reviews came out, and it turned out this game was as mediocre and tedious as it gets. I hope they don't waste time on making a sequel. That time would be better spent working on something else.

Concern

I tried the game after it was updated a billion times simply because everyone was talking about how much better it was than at launch. I don't know man.....just didn't grab me for whatever reason. I'll say this though, the game is gorgeous to the point of console sorcery in my opinion. I hear it got a 60fps patch for PS5, and to be honest I'll bet the game's a spectacle at a higher frame rate. I'll try it again when I get a PS5 in 2022 to see if the high frame rate and improved load times help me to enjoy the game more.

Game starts very slow. It starts to get better a few hours in. Don't want to spoil it.

RCU005

I think the worst part of the game was that it was announced right after The Last of Us first showing.

Whoever decided on that, it sent the game to die. The difference in quality was so much obvious. Had they announced it earlier or even much later, it would have been received differently.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Game starts very slow. It starts to get better a few hours in. Don't want to spoil it.
Right on, I need to give it another shot then at some point. I stopped off when I was at like a gas station filled with zombies, (not zombies?), and my partner distracted a bunch of em to clear em out. I forgot what I was supposed to be doing but I imagine it's basically just kill everything there. I should give it another shot and see if it grabs me.

Concern

Right on, I need to give it another shot then at some point. I stopped off when I was at like a gas station filled with zombies, (not zombies?), and my partner distracted a bunch of em to clear em out. I forgot what I was supposed to be doing but I imagine it's basically just kill everything there. I should give it another shot and see if it grabs me.

My memory isn't too great since I played it at launch. But I remember being a bit disappointed and bored with it at first too. It definitely got a lot better for me tho. I really liked doing the bandit camps and horde fights too.

RareJordan

Disappointing news. Days Gone was my favorite PS4 game. Absolutely loved every minute of it. Got the platinum and played through it 3 times. I acknowledge it has flaws, but something about it really resonated with me. The possibility of a sequel is one of the main reasons I got a PS5. I guess we’ll see what happens..

I remember looking forward to this game when it was first announced. Those fights with fluid zombie hordes looked really good. Then the reviews came out, and it turned out this game was as mediocre and tedious as it gets. I hope they don't waste time on making a sequel. That time would be better spent working on something else.
Did you actually play the game or rely on mainstream agenda driven reviewers? Try the game out for yourself, its great.

......did you actually play it?

Or even had it in your hands and played it at a friends house?

Because idk, I may not be the biggest fan of the game, but i definitely think that a lot of reviewers were harsher than they should be and nitpicking of some really dumb points.

I think it deserves a proper shot at a sequel, to be fair.

But I won't be upset if they came out with a brand new ip either.

Very sad about John Garvin, he's the writer and director of the syphon filter games.
I think he's a good part of the studio's soul. I was still hoping for a new SF game...

Edit: he says that left a year ago, pursuing personal projects. Good luck to him, thaks for all the fantastic memories. I loved Gabe Logan in its days.

Last edited:
......did you actually play it?

Or even had it in your hands and played it at a friends house?

Because idk, I may not be the biggest fan of the game, but i definitely think that a lot of reviewers were harsher than they should be and nitpicking of some really dumb points.

I think it deserves a proper shot at a sequel, to be fair.

But I won't be upset if they came out with a brand new ip either.

The main thing for me was this was their first shot at a big budget open world game. In my opinion Days Gone laid a great foundation for a sequel,

Aion002

Good luck for for them. Hopefully the studio will be able to keep making good games.

I love Days Gone! For me it's the best zombie game of the generation, which had some really good zombie games that I enjoyed a lot (TLU2, RE2R and WWZ)!

HotPocket69

Banned
Drunk logical hypothetical: I bet after dem high 10’s and Metashits they prob got totally Druckmann’d with the characters and story by Sony execs and decided to bail.

Days Gone was a perfect specimen of zero PC shit in my videogames. A true rarity when it released and even more so now and is a PRIME example of the term “underrated.” I love the characters and world so much.

If we don’t get a sequel it’ll just make the whole experience that much more special. Fine with me. It definitely won’t be the same that’s for sure.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Great game, great studio. They managed to produce a very good first big title (they only did smaller scope games for a long time). It may sound strange, but I don't want a sequel... Would like to see them doing an old IP revival.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The reviews were full of shit. DG is real good, my 2019 GOTY.

Papacheeks

Banned
People need to calm down. He's leaving for a different project in a different studio possibly. Bend will be fine. They literally expanded not to long ago. So we will probably get another days gone at some point.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not that this guy wasn't important or anything but they can do a Days Gone 2 if they want, he's not necessary.

I think the real problem for journos is the game becomes better as it goes, they're so used to open world games being monotonous and never evolving that they most likely reviewed it without actually completing it. There was a Youtuber who got caught doing this, well I shouldn't say caught, many Youtubers openly admit to how much they've played and I think this one did as well. When his comments section pointed out to him how much better it becomes he went back and did a new review for it with a full 180 on how good it is. Days Gone is a slow burn, one of the few games where the power fantasy works because you really do start lowly and really do become a badass.

BTW my friend who quit on it early loves it on PS5, his problems were performance related.

Umbral

That’s like 30 minutes into a 60-80 hour game. I would urge you to revisit it when you‘ve got some time and want a slow burn game.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Might be a good time for them to get some fresh blood

There's a lot of talent at Sony Bend but I dont think Days Gone fully hit the mark

CyRuZ

Banned
Dude wasn't woke enough. For Pt. 2 I can already see how deacon gets his head bashed in with a blm umbrella by an angry ma'amboy cuz he called her a him. And just because deac killed his/her deer parents.

Top Bottom