• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Game Director Live Stream Interview Tomorrow

Dabaus

Banned
Maybe it's time for your to retire from gaming if you've got problem with all of these. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
Of the games released on this chart of amazing lead characters, didnt almost all of the out right bomb or severely under perform? Its almost like people who purchase games dont want these characters? I for one love them and want more of them of course.

Isa

Gold Member
How could a new Syphon Filter not work?? DAMN IT
Exactly. Its a modern setting that could easily incorporate some cyberpunk elements since that's in vogue, but regardless it'd be filled with espionage, modern storytelling techniques which I'm sure Sony would love, and tons of cool gadgets and weapons of tomorrow. Plus the tasers, man, the tasers. The simple gameplay loop of tasing someone until their head ignites is up their with Mario in terms of timeless appeal.

On the topic of comparing old Syphon Filter sales to current gen, I think that's a bit unfair considering the market and environmental factors that are generations apart. I mean the 90's had rentals, easier piracy, borrowing etc. Plus the market was much smaller back then along with much higher development and marketing costs that dominate the current sphere. Not to mention the time needed to make a game with much smaller teams back in the day. I miss it frankly.

Love Jaffe's comment to Jason, "Calm down and go write another book you fucker!". Hahahahaha!

Kerotan

I hope they gave them another shot at a AAA game. Days Gone had it's issues but I think they proved that they can make larger titles besides just handheld games with it.
I'd also like to think they'd learn from the experience and their second stab at a modern day AAA would go a lot smoother.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Now I feel smart. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Jeff says the same idea I've talked about here on GAF of how I think PS Now should be, remove the streaming part and make it downloadable and you'll have an awesome service, because that means it'll be available globally day one.

Timestamped of course:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Exactly. Its a modern setting that could easily incorporate some cyberpunk elements since that's in vogue, but regardless it'd be filled with espionage, modern storytelling techniques which I'm sure Sony would love, and tons of cool gadgets and weapons of tomorrow. Plus the tasers, man, the tasers. The simple gameplay loop of tasing someone until their head ignites is up their with Mario in terms of timeless appeal.

On the topic of comparing old Syphon Filter sales to current gen, I think that's a bit unfair considering the market and environmental factors that are generations apart. I mean the 90's had rentals, easier piracy, borrowing etc. Plus the market was much smaller back then along with much higher development and marketing costs that dominate the current sphere. Not to mention the time needed to make a game with much smaller teams back in the day. I miss it frankly.

Love Jaffe's comment to Jason, "Calm down and go write another book you fucker!". Hahahahaha!
I don't think Jeff suggested a new Syphon would not work. I think he feels- and I agree- that the void for 3rd person spy action/gear game is filled and filled very well. Granted, SPLINTER CELL is MIA be we know it's coming back; Hitman is out there; a new Bond game is on the way,etc.

And he's saying WITH THAT LANDSCAPE, he doesn't have any ideas for how it could really stand out. Sure the FANS would like to see more Gabe and more of the story and such but that fan base never was enough to sustain one of TODAY'S Sony 1st Party AAAA budgets (not even when Syphon was in its hayday). So now that the franchise only survives on nostalgia for most people (assuming you recall it at all), he's saying unless there is just an amazing idea that really differentiates it from the market (an idea- he says- that HE certainly doesn't have in his head), it's not worth it and will prob not happen.

FWIW, the same answer goes for Twisted Metal (with the caveat that the UNIVERSE of Twisted is rich and there's a lot that could be done in it but NOT as a straight up car combat game).

JAFFE

Isa

Gold Member
I don't think Jeff suggested a new Syphon would not work. I think he feels- and I agree- that the void for 3rd person spy action/gear game is filled and filled very well. Granted, SPLINTER CELL is MIA be we know it's coming back; Hitman is out there; a new Bond game is on the way,etc.

And he's saying WITH THAT LANDSCAPE, he doesn't have any ideas for how it could really stand out. Sure the FANS would like to see more Gabe and more of the story and such but that fan base never was enough to sustain one of TODAY'S Sony 1st Party AAAA budgets (not even when Syphon was in its hayday). So now that the franchise only survives on nostalgia for most people (assuming you recall it at all), he's saying unless there is just an amazing idea that really differentiates it from the market (an idea- he says- that HE certainly doesn't have in his head), it's not worth it and will prob not happen.

FWIW, the same answer goes for Twisted Metal (with the caveat that the UNIVERSE of Twisted is rich and there's a lot that could be done in it but NOT as a straight up car combat game).

JAFFE
Well put, in this market I definitely wouldn't want to go up against competition like that with such large budgets on the line. I love Twisted Metal as well, but how could a game in that universe even play without alienating the fans while attracting new ones? Maybe some sort of Mad Max style open world action adventure game where the player can get to know more of the characters and world? Quite a few of those as well on the market, I bet just about anything would be a hard sell to just about any publisher.

Unknown?

X to doubt.

I believe most gave it below average scores because of the derivative story and cookie cutter characters borrowed from other sources. Or to put it another way it got those scores because it deserves those scores....

You may have perceived that as hatred of white males - that’s your incorrect perception.
Of course they aren't going to be blatantly racist in their reviews, all one has to do is go look at these reviewers social media posts to get a picture of their opinion on that particular subject.

And I didn't say most, I said some. Of course most reviews, even the ones with racist undertones, have valid criticisms. It seems you're trying hard to pass it off like not one low score was effected by this.

I already said without this targeted hate I know it would not have been an 80, but I could see it being a few points higher.

Why would it be a parody? Can you name a new game specifically from Sony that stars a lead straight white male?
Male straight protagonist (Why is it important that he must be white , I don't see the relevance)
God of War Ragnarok
Spider-Man 2 (you can bet your ass it's in development)
Ghost of Tsushima (and sequel you can bet your ass it's in development).
And wait...they developed Days Gone, they co-developed and funded Death' Stranding, and they also made Uncharted 4 this gen...hmmm, it seems pretty much every big PS exclusive has a male straight protagonist that over 70% of the time happens to be "white".

mckmas8808

Banned

JAFFE

Great job with the interview man.

Can't wait to see what Jeff works on next. Day's Gone features some of the best graphics, music, gameplay, sound effects, and atmosphere around.

Despite critics unfairly hating it, it still went on to become a huge success and showed that the games journalists can't keep a good game down. At least once it's released.

They sure got its sequel killed dead though.

I'm sure the the studio losing its top dogs was more of a factor. I doubt Jeff Ross will have trouble getting another huge project funded. Especially when Microsoft is handing out cash left and right.

Top Bottom