• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Game Director Live Stream Interview Tomorrow

Dr.Morris79

As much as I enjoy days gone I completely agree with it not getting a sequel if this is true. Of all the new intellectual property Sony put out last generation like Horizon zero Dawn or ghost of tsushima , Days Gone is definitely at the bottom of that list in regards to their AAA titles.

The game is not the worst game ever but a lot of its mechanics are extremely mediocre and dated. The game story drags on very similar 2 Red Dead Redemption 2 but at the very least Red Dead Redemption 2 offers a deeply engaging world with very intelligent NPCs and a laundry list of interactions that can be made with that world, Days Gone has such a bad story that drags on at some point you start just plowing through a just trying to get to the ending because of how boring the story becomes for god sakes one of the characters supposedly risk their life only to miraculously survived something that doesn't really make any sense in which they probably should have just killed the character off to the point of feeling like you're watching a Saturday morning cartoon show.

I think I like more what Days Gone can become in the future with more additional work to flesh out the world, But ultimately I agree with a lot of the criticism regarding the game. I don't believe it has anything to do with journalists because ultimately Sony's job is to make money they still need to factor in this game was in development for something ridiculous like 6 or 7 years.

So I would say the criticism is valid regarding the game being mediocre and has very little to do with "woke politics" or triggered journalist because I'm positive they could still be triggered about an actual real mediocre game lol a journalist getting triggered over this game because of a white male protagonist or the dumbass reviewer that was clueless as to why all the Freaker's were pale looking doesn't actually mean they game MUST be good and they are lying, it is possible for them to make those comments and the game still actually be a meh game.....

So I definitely hope they do a sequel in the future, but I also understand if they don't. Not every new IP from Sony gets a sequel. That has been the case since PS1, so we can stop fucking acting like this is some brand new concept or conspiracy or change in the company etc.

Yea and moved record units, forgot to mention that or? The story in Spiderman also flows much smoother.
Eh? The hell you on about? I'm talking about Days gone having more complexity in the gameplay making it better in my eyes..

Not if Spiderman sold loads of copies. I view gaming in a different way to how much it moved 'record' units. Call of duty sells record units, it's the same old shit year after year though, it doesnt make it a great game.

EDMIX

I view gaming in a different way to how much it moved 'record' units.

Never fucking said I "viewed gaming" that way as if it say that is how I buy all my games or some shit, simply that it must be factored for this topic of why Days Gone 2 likely won't happen.

No clue where you even got that it was something personal on I viewed fucking games. Relax bud.

You can't ignore Days Gone 1's meh sales and meh reviews. That likely has a LOT to do with Days Gone 2 likely not happening. Having lots of options doesn't make a game completely better, you still need structure, smooth gameplay, proper transitions etc. What you see as "complexity" , I'd argue most felt as cumbersome, lost and sloppy. It seems to want to be many things, but struggles in many of those areas.

Spiderman on the other hand has complexity in a area in the movement of Spiderman himself. The ability to do all those areal moves properly while having attacks on top of that is something MOST developers simply can't do well. Its something I'd argue no Spiderman developer prior to Insomniac has truly been able to do as well as them. The movement and fluid combat alone in Spiderman do more then anything Days Gone attempts. NOTHING in Days Gone is this industry first or industry best idea or concept etc. Its not a bad game, but its average or even below that in many, many areas.

So lets relax on this "da gamez salez iz not da importantz", I own both games, both games were day 1s for me. The comment regarding its sales are based on that it CAN'T BE IGNORED on why Days Gone 2 is likely not going to happen. You can like it all day, shit I like many games that fail to get sequels, but I don't pretend the sales NEVER factored into that or something. It has nothing to do with how I buy games bud. I have no clue how you even reached to that wild assumption. Where the fuck did you think my view on Days Gone came from? Clearly I own it, sooooo its not like I'm only liking and buying games that sell well lol

Last edited:
davidjaffe davidjaffe

I gotta be honest, I'm kinda disappointed that Sony can't take chances on those new inventive ideas like they once used to. Shit like that and crazy minds like yours used to be huge selling point for me. Wild and quirky, over-the-top ideas like what you did with a game like Twisted metal probably would be too risky to make today and that just really chills my excitement. They generally barely exist or got proper equivalents these days.

It disappoints me to hear that they're past that era where they found it to be viable. These overpolished AAAA just don't do it for me. Especially, if you can't go full on out on your unfiltered vision without being tied to some constraints. It was nice while it lasted and that you managed to do that kind of stuff while it was possible during that zeitgeist.

For the record, I currently have no stake in the coming gen, but, if I were, I'd begin to seriously consider going towards green.

Thanks for the interview Jaffe.

Last edited:
Jason Schreier, as usual with his stuck-up-his-own-arse syndrome, just claimed that Jeff was lying in this interview regarding DG2 and the fears of Bend becoming a support studio, over on ResetEra.

He also started calling anybody criticising him or his article for being unprofessional console warriors (typical when you see his responses to criticism on Twitter) and of course his entourage of Reeee fanboys were all coming to his support because of his crunch reporting.

Well days gone 2 has been canned, ohh well lets hope they have not downsized the team, also confirms naughty dog is doing another uncharted game,

EDMIX

About Days Gone 2: "Never say never to anything, it's just ...maybe not right now."

Jeff also said the whole Bend/Naughty Dog thing was a positive option to give some teams something to do in the early days of development when there is less to do.

Previous summary:
Jeff was asked if they feared Bend was becoming a support studio of ND.
He said: "that's completely false".

Jeff: "Sony is quite hands off and still takes risks. they still trusts developers tremendosly. that's something i miss while working with sony"

Herman Hulst is "a great leader, a master at what he does." according to Jeff.

Pretty much the whole narrative that Jason Scheier tried to create was debunked. The article was just a leak of a few projects with some drama tacked on it to pretend it was a scoop about a non existent turmoil and bad corporate culture.

Maybe.

I don't disagree with Jeff, simply that what he is saying is true from when he WAS working there.

It doesn't mean its not true as of right NOW, simply that it wasn't the cause or he had no knowledge of anything like that at his time there. This is a situation where both can be right.

Jeff is commenting on what he knows from when he was there.
Jason is commenting on something new that is happening.

Its feasible for both of them to be right.

The Last Of Us remake is a complete inevitability, Days Gone 1 isn't Sony's best selling new IP. Its even possible for the remake of The Last Of Us 1 to happen and Days Gone 2 not happen and Jason actually be wrong. As in, its can happen, but not for the reasons Jason claims.

It would be like saying we won't get a AC this year because Ubisoft thinks AC is trash now......

A. We already know they are no longer doing yearly AC titles.

B. Them not doing it this year, doesn't prove Ubisoft thinks AC is trash.

For all we know, Jason might be getting information from someone who is lying and is just making assumptions on things they know are LIKLEY, but giving a reason that is false.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've been listening to it but a bit late, but wasn't surprised that all this concern campaign driven by MS astroturfers is just not true and actually praising the continuation of Sony as we know it, caring, generous, no restraints, and understanding.

Also Jason accurate only the narrative is not bad but it's normal in the gaming industry and very natural the bigger the studios becomes and mix up with different minds.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Jason Schreier, as usual with his stuck-up-his-own-arse syndrome, just claimed that Jeff was lying in this interview regarding DG2 and the fears of Bend becoming a support studio, over on ResetEra.

He also started calling anybody criticising him or his article for being unprofessional console warriors (typical when you see his responses to criticism on Twitter) and of course his entourage of Reeee fanboys were all coming to his support because of his crunch reporting.
Lol, that right there shows you his maturity. Nice to be able to have a mob lift you up even when you're wrong.

SaucyJack

Maybe.

I don't disagree with Jeff, simply that what he is saying is true from when he WAS working there.

It doesn't mean its not true as of right NOW, simply that it wasn't the cause or he had no knowledge of anything like that at his time there. This is a situation where both can be right.

The Last Of Us remake is a complete inevitability, Days Gone 1 isn't Sony's best selling new IP. Its even possible for the remake of The Last Of Us 1 to happen and Days Gone 2 not happen and Jason actually be wrong. As in, its can happen, but not for the reasons Jason claims.

It would be like saying we won't get a AC this year because Ubisoft thinks AC is trash now......

B. Them noting doing it this year, doesn't prove Ubisoft thinks AC is trash.

For all we know, Jason might be getting information from someone who is lying and is just making assumptions on things they know are LIKLEY, but giving a reason that is false.

He only left like 4 months ago.

Kerotan

I've been listening to it but a bit late, but wasn't surprised that all this concern campaign driven by MS astroturfers is just not true and actually praising the continuation of Sony as we know it, caring, generous, no restraints, and understanding.

Also Jason accurate only the narrative is not bad but it's normal in the gaming industry and very natural the bigger the studios comes and mix up with different minds.
I laughed when Jason said them doing work for Sony left some scars. Jesus christ can humans not handle a little adversity anymore? The world is so triggered.

ManaByte

sci-fi signs GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I laughed when Jason said them doing work for Sony left some scars. Jesus christ can humans not handle a little adversity anymore? The world is so triggered.

Yeah the report itself is accurate as always by Jason but how they added spices to the dish is beyond reality of the industry. Actually Jeff words doubles down on how great is Sony with the devs as always and even after the critics they've been so respectful and supportive.

Last edited:

Elios83

Maybe.

B. Them noting doing it this year, doesn't prove Ubisoft thinks AC is trash.

I don't think that Jason's sources were not valid or were lying to him.
The issue with his article is that trying to create a narrative about studios of hundreds of people when your sources are realistically limited is a dangerous path.
Given what Jeff stated in the interview it's clear that the sentiments that Jason's sources shared with him are not representative of the whole team , let alone the whole company and its culture.
He praised Hermen Hulst, he stated that the collaboration with ND not only was not considered a risk to lose their identity but was beneficial in a certain period.
So the mistake is trying to push black and white narratives that might make articles more interesting but they do not paint an accurate picture.
In any case the reactions to his article were way overblown.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

I can't lie and say I am disappointed by no DG2.

The game really wasn't for me at all. I think the horde battles were really top tier stuff.
But other than that? Ehhhhh. It just felt kind of like another 6/10 open world game.

Would I give Bend a second shot with DG2? Absolutely. This was their first foray into AAA console development. I could see DG as a learning experience. But I am not Sony. Maybe Sony saw the really poor reception the game got, and the average metascore, and decided to pass and didn't think DG2 would be able to shake the reception of DG1.

But I ALWAYS thought there was room for a Syphon Filter reboot. Complete reboot from the ground up, not tied to the old games at all. And don't make it open world. Make it more wide linear. Maybe like god of war. Sections that are linear, but also this open hub area where you can go off and do other things?

Splinter Cell is MIA, I think there is room for a spy game.

EDMIX

He only left like 4 months ago.

I understand, but we don't know how recent those changes might be. Its still possible for both to be correct, regardless he is still speaking about his time at the studio and not currently.

He praised Hermen Hulst, he stated that the collaboration with ND not only was not considered a risk to lose their idendity but was beneficial in certain period.

I agree, but we don't know what changed in that time to support Days Gone 2 not happening. It would still be simply talking about how they viewed it years ago vs today. If we don't get a Days Gone 2, I don't think its because of what Jason is saying.

Mikey Jr. Mikey Jr. Agreed. I feel like I like Days Gone more as a series that can progress to better ideas. It seems more like the beginning of something good as it has good bones and they can grow that idea over time. It has so many bad parts, that I think if those things are corrected, we can have a solid series in the future, so I hope we do get a sequel one day.

For all we know they are just waiting for Unreal Engine 5 to drop.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Yeah the report it self is accurate as always by Jason but how they added spices to the dish is beyond reality of the industry. Actually Jeff words doubles down on how great is Sony with the devs as always and even after the critics they've been so respectful and supportive.
Not to mention how his minions take what he writes over exaggerates and then spread false rumours/narratives all over the Internet. And he just sits back without putting the breaks on them. Very dangerous in this day and age.

Perrott

Gold Member
Can someone resume this interview? I missed a lot.
Everything in Jason's report was true but exagerated to some extent and Days Gone's dev wasn't paradise, so making a sequel turned out to be way riskier than most of us thought it would be.

Oh, and Jeff Ross is the GOAT btw 💪

Last edited:

EDMIX

Would be hilarious if it was in development and Sony announced it tomorrow. Thankfully Sony are above this petty journalism.

I mean...sure, I hate the dude too, but I think a chunk of what he is saying is likely true. He has a solid enough track record that I would not be shocked if indeed its not in development.

AdjudicatorHead AdjudicatorHead I love when people question how Jason got that job and how he is still relevant (fills several fucking threads talking about him). Clearly the man knows how to get views, hits etc, many of you literally support his existence. This thread will lead to people reading the article, the site gets hits, folks get triggered, link the article, make their video crying over said article, thread crying over said article and repeat.

You do no need to like this person to understand how they are still writing and employed. I don't fully get how people get sooooooo triggered, they become detached from reality. I don't care that much for MS, but I don't fucking pretend ME NOT LIKING THEM makes them poor or something. Dislike someone all you want, but don't assume your dislike for them suddenly means everyone else feels the same, or no one reads what they write etc. Its a silly assumption I never get why gamers seem to make.

Last edited:

Fake

Wait a second, Days Gone 2 was in work while he got canceled?

This is madness.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Ok now I see why there's contractions. Things were definitely not as bad as Jason was saying.
Yeah, not all the people over at Bend were worried/sad/pissed off over getting to work on Uncharted/TLOU multiplayer as a way to give the studio some stability (not having to lay off people) after they failed to get Days Gone 2 greenlit.

Jeff is probably terrified that Jason and the mobs he has rooted up his ass will come after him with some scandal now...

Knowing how petty Schreier is, I would not put it past him.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I mean...sure, I hate the dude too, but I think a chunk of what he is saying is likely true. He has a solid enough track record that I would not be shocked if indeed its not in development.
But like that's not a negative either. If bend were on ND support for a few months that's not a negative. If they're making a new IP that's also not a negative. They could always start a DG2 in 3 or 4 years after the new IP. By then the first will have been played by millions more on the PS5 where it's an absolute joy to play.

KingT731

I don't think that Jason's sources were not valid or were lying to him.
The issue with his article is that trying to create a narrative about studios of hundreds of people when your sources are realistically limited is a dangerous path.
Given what Jeff stated in the interview it's clear that the sentiments that Jason's sources shared with him are not representative of the whole team , let alone the whole company and its culture.
He praised Hermen Hulst, he stated that the collaboration with ND not only was not considered a risk to lose their identity but was beneficial in a certain period.
So the mistake is trying to push black and white narratives that might make articles more interesting but they do not paint an accurate picture.
In any case the reactions to his article were way overblown.
I can see a lot of that being the case especially with them assisting ND considering Days Gone was their first console game in 12 years. I do believe there is truth in the article though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
davidjaffe davidjaffe

I gotta be honest, I'm kinda disappointed that Sony can't take chances on those new inventive ideas like they once used to. Shit like that and crazy minds like yours used to be huge selling point for me. Wild and quirky, over-the-top ideas like what you did with a game like Twisted metal probably would be too risky to make today and that just really chills my excitement. They generally barely exist or got proper equivalents these days.

It disappoints me to hear that they're past that era where they found it to be viable. These overpolished AAAA just don't do it for me. Especially, if you can't go full on out on your unfiltered vision without being tied to some constraints. It was nice while it lasted and that you managed to do that kind of stuff while it was possible during that zeitgeist.

For the record, I currently have no stake in the coming gen, but, if I were, I'd begin to seriously consider going towards green.

Thanks for the interview Jaffe.
That's how gaming works.

When the money rolls in hand over fist, companies sit back and milk it until shit hits the fan. Then they go into crisis mode and suddenly churn out crazy ideas, games and features.

EA
Activision
Nintendo
Sony
UBI

What do they have in common? All big, all make record sales and profits. You'd think better financials = more innovation like indie makers do because now you got lots of money to spare. Instead, they bank the money and all milk their fanbase with common games ----->

EA - EA Sports
Activision - COD/Blizzard
Nintendo - their hit franchises over and over again (people say COD and EA Sports are rehashes. There's no way anyone can say Mario Kart isn't either)
Sony - SP narratives
UBI - open world games

Top Bottom