• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Game Director Live Stream Interview Tomorrow

longdi

Banned
I’d love to hear what he and his teams thoughts were when Days Gone was publicly attacked through reviews by activists.

How did the team handle having so much targeted and undeserved hate thrown at them.

*Big image below*

jurn-daysgonedlkjx.jpg
:messenger_open_mouth:
wow i did not know about this.

This could be the reason why jimbo dropped the game

we at full woke'ism at SCE.

davidjaffe davidjaffe what's this about Alan Becker getting ushered out of Sony? If he truly, historically, was one of the minds behind greenlighting some of Sony's most imaginative and memorable western endeavours then that just doesn't seem right all. Its seems like a poor decision to let him go.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I feel like you either quoted the wrong person or didn’t read the text in the large image since what you wrote covered none of it.

Well perhaps that’s the problem - you were so busy looking for woke agenda peddling and reds under the bed - you didn’t actually objectively read the articles you posted 🤷‍♂️

bitbydeath

Well perhaps that’s the problem - you were so busy looking for woke agenda peddling and reds under the bed - you didn’t actually objectively read the articles you posted 🤷‍♂️
I read it just fine, as have many others who quoted me and commented accordingly.

ripeavocado

Banned
Playstation Legend Jeff Ross Game Director/Game Designer of Days Gone (and designer on numerous Syphon Filters, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Darkwatch!,etc.)- will be on my GABBIN+GAMES stream tomorrow (Sunday) at 11am PST.

mHZY5SX.jpg

We'll talk his games and game design philosophies in part 2 (in the next few weeks). But TOMORROW we chat all about the biz, Playstation, and the Schreier article.

Discord is also open and Jeff will be taking some 'calls' from people who wanna call in and chat.

Here's a link to the discord.

And here's a link for tomorrow's stream.

Thx! Hope to see some of y'all live.

Jaffe

EDIT: If there are any specific questions you would like ME to ask, hit me up here or on twitter and I'll see if they make sense in the context of the chat. Thx!

Great, I hope spills some beans, Days Gone is great, should have had a sequel.

SSfox

I’d love to hear what he and his teams thoughts were when Days Gone was publicly attacked through reviews by activists.

How did the team handle having so much targeted and undeserved hate thrown at them.

*Big image below*

jurn-daysgonedlkjx.jpg
I don't know any of those subhumans. But i happen to see a bit of podcast (i think it was ign?) where that Lucy O'brian was, and i can't believe there are people that will buy or skip games based of this person's opinion.

Videogames journalism is so pathetic nowadays..

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

There's a lot of cuck journalists then, huh? To give it a 71 MC.

Guess I'm one of them, because I thought the game was mediocre. Certainly not worth of 5 years of development for that shit.

There were some idiots reviewers pointing the lack of representation or whatever, but they werent the majority. You guys focus on them in order to fit your narrative.

Same shit with Cyberpunk. There were like 2 reviewers mentioning "transphobia". The others didnt give a shit.

Insomniac made a way better game with Spiderman in almost half of this time.

It sold well, but MC score also matters to Sony. Not to mention the long dev time.

"Please just don't type anything ever again."

Sorry snowflake, but you are on a gaming forum. Be prepared to read some different opinions once in a while.
No, not really. It all boils down to what you want from gaming, Spiderman looked good but typically by the numbers

A lot of people like it, it looks pretty and it's easy to play, but when you break it down it doesnt have a lot of meat to it.

SSfox

Will he promise to ride me as much as he rides his bike?
This quote isn't that weird for those who knows a bit about Bickers culture.

But SJW and wokes of course will whine about it because it doesn't fit their liking taste, they would want rather heard a line in a wedding scene that we already heard thousands times in other games and movies.

Imagine if GOW1 PS2 would have release today, but then Woke would complain because of the sex scene and then Sony wouldn't allow GOW2 because of that... Bruh , it's quite sad to see what's happening in Sony nowadays.

SSfox

No, not really. It all boils down to what you want from gaming, Spiderman looked good but typically by the numbers

A lot of people like it, it looks pretty and it's easy to play, but when you break it down it doesnt have a lot of meat to it.
Spiderman is great game but definitely and by far not the best ps4 exclusive.

And when it comes to superhero games to me Batman Arkham series are still the best in the genre.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Please let there be a Days Gone 2 PS5 only. Imagine the mahoosive crowd technology they could pull off.

I think Sony wanna give a break from Zombie games. I think TLOU3 isn't happening any time soon either. I really hope that there is a sci-fi, story-driven game coming from some of their top studios like the canceled one from SSM that they might revisit? From their canceled project, might be too ambitious for last gen:

QmLheQ1.jpg

gzs8EOol.jpg

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-10-24-02-am-720x720.png

cragarmi

Can't wait for the interview!
Hoping he will set the record straight somewhat. Schreier's slant is missing key details. Here's how I see it; Days Gone Sequel is halted in pre-production, and whilst a small team are planning a few pitches for what's next for Bend, most of the team were moved over to help ND. Otherwise you have a large team just sat twiddling thumbs until ideas can be worked out and greenlit! Due to Covid this process took longer than expected, and left some of Bend worried they would be absorbed by ND long term. However once the new Bend IP was greenlit MOST of Bend staff were transferred to work on the new IP, some opted to stay at ND as they have become more heavily involved and invested in their new project.

People get moved around within big companies all the time, and I expect once ND have their new project out the door, some will be moved over to help on GoW. The higher ups want more cross collaboration between teams, as projects get bigger and bigger, requiring ever larger teams. This is partly causing internal politics in the company. Some of the teams have become rather 'clicky' and don't like to let other teams, or new members in on their turf so to speak, which will ultimately lead to less creativity, diversity, and productivity. Hulst is trying his best to get everyone to play nice! This doesn't have a lot to do with Jim Ryan, as he is happy for Hulst to run the studios for the most part.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hoping he will set the record straight somewhat. Schreier's slant is missing key details. Here's how I see it; Days Gone Sequel is halted in pre-production, and whilst a small team are planning a few pitches for what's next for Bend, most of the team were moved over to help ND. Otherwise you have a large team just sat twiddling thumbs until ideas can be worked out and greenlit! Due to Covid this process took longer than expected, and left some of Bend worried they would be absorbed by ND long term. However once the new Bend IP was greenlit MOST of Bend staff were transferred to work on the new IP, some opted to stay at ND as they have become more heavily involved and invested in their new project.

People get moved around within big companies all the time, and I expect once ND have their new project out the door, some will be moved over to help on GoW. The higher ups want more cross collaboration between teams, as projects get bigger and bigger, requiring ever larger teams. This is partly causing internal politics in the company. Some of the teams have become rather 'clicky' and don't like to let other teams, or new members in on their turf so to speak, which will ultimately lead to less creativity, diversity, and productivity. Hulst is trying his best to get everyone to play nice! This doesn't have a lot to do with Jim Ryan, as he is happy for Hulst to run the studios for the most part.

tenor.gif

KungFucius

King Snowflake
:messenger_open_mouth:
wow i did not know about this.

This could be the reason why jimbo dropped the game

we at full woke'ism at SCE.
Sure. A huge company dropped a sequel because some random reviewer from a second tier publication said something bad about the first game related to political correctness, not due to the game getting mediocre reviews across the board and selling just OK. I mean why manage a company based on actual sales and an understanding of market risks when you can insert some agenda like the evil piece of shit comic book villain CEO you are? The way some of you people see the world working is scary.

Kuranghi

Why are they like this

Lack of/bad parenting to start with. That sets the course for the downward spiral into being a rubbish human. Fear not though they CAN see the light, but only if they choose to, some just jump further into depths.

Its like the Max Payne line about "the hole" (of depression). Except in this case these people have been told the hole is where you live, permanently. Max Payne is on a ledge on one side of the hole, shaving his head, drinking 2L of whiskey while crying and looking at photos of his dead family, while progressives are on the other side having a tea party like its a normal thing to live in a pit of despair.

Hugare

If you go by the "its all subjective" card, than discussing about any game become meaningless. So I'm trying to be objective with my criticism.

Calling Spiderman by the numbers and not saying the same for Days Gone is embarassing. You know exactly what you are gonna get before booting the game for the first time.

For starters, Spiderman launched as a much more polished game, despite Days Gone having had 5 years of development + many patches. Story is more focused, not as repetitive, with way better animations, well rounded gameplay (shooting feels good in Days Gone, but melee looks and feels like shit).

kungfuian

I personally wonder if Days Gone being so thematically similar to TLOU played a part in Sony not greenlighting a sequel. Wondered about this when the first game was greenlit in the first place. This is not a knock at the game or an attempt to reduce it down to another 'zombie' game. Of course anyone who has played both know they are very different worlds/experiences.

That said, on some level they are at least superficially very similar, like say from a marketing angle or larger platform portfolio perspective. I'm imagining Hulst looking at their total first party software plan and deciding that they got the 'zombie' thing covered and that Bend would be better off making something non-zombie themed. Especially if Sony plan on expanding TLOU universe at some point.

Last edited:

yurinka

davidjaffe davidjaffe

Please ask him what does he think about Sony moving their smaller, more experimental, country specific from full exclusive 2nd party to Shuhei Yoshida's umbrella, now becoming 3rd party timed console exclusive indies where the devs now selfpublish (so get a higher revenue share), get more creative freedom because they are selfpublishing it and keep the IP for extra revenue with ports and sequels.

To me it sounds a win/win change for both Sony (cheaper so less risky investment per game but still get the marketing impact and niche catalog fillers, with the same money can invest in more small games) and the devs (more revenue, creative freedom and control over the game and its IP).

P.S.: I agree with you that in addition to the exclusive AAA blockbusters and 3rd party stuff would be cool to see internal teams working on 'very' small, short games to put them for free day one on PS Now, some of them to grow new IP (like Astro), some of them as tiny spin-offs of huge ass IPs (like a bridge between TLOU 1&2 focused on Joel, the first adventure of Cassie Drake, etc) or to revive some ancient, nostalgic IP that wouldn't make sense to revive in a big budget game (let's say a new LocoRoco, Parappa, etc). Please ask him about, this too.

P.S. 2: Please tell him I'm a big fan of Days Gone and Syphon Filter, and that I think they did an awesome job with the mindblowing Golden Abyss and that I wish him the best of lucks for whatever he does next, including if it's just to rest from gamedev and to enjoy life.

Last edited:

Elios83

Jeff: "Sony is quite hands off and still takes risks. they still trusts developers tremendosly. that's something i miss while working with sony"

Herman Hulst is "a great leader, a master at what he does." according to Jeff.

Drama killed by one of the people that should have fueled it.
LOL.

Why even bother asking Jeff questions? He's not gonna burn bridges by saying anything negative regarding his previous employer. I don't even know why he would even say anything positive either, since he's not part of SIE anymore. I don't get it, this is a complete waste of time.
NDAs are a thing too.

Last edited:

yurinka

Insomniac made a way better game with Spiderman in almost half of this time.
Insomniac had a way bigger team, who was more experienced on releasing (recently) home console AAA games, and open worlds, and wasn't building a new IP, and wasn't using a new (for them) engine for the first time, and already released PS4 games before.

Considering all this, 5 years is ok. And their budget must have been way smaller compared to other big open world games that we see from Rockstar, Ubisoft or Sony.

Why even bother asking Jeff questions? He's not gonna burn bridges by saying anything negative regarding his previous employer. I don't even know why he would even say anything positive either, since he's not part of SIE anymore. I don't get it, this is a complete waste of time.
NDAs are a thing too.
It's ok to ask him questions, and it's ok for him to reply. Very likely he'll say both good and bad things about his previous employer, because it's normal that he may think that and he's free to do it. Nothing is black or white.

And well, he will be careful about not without breaking NDAs, which exist to protect secret sensitive stuff. He can talk about a lot of things without breaking NDAs.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
They briefly mention it near the beginning but it confirmed my suspicions. I genuinely believe days gone won’t be getting a sequel because Deacon is a masculine white male. That’s it. Look at Sony’s Ps5 reveal and everything since. If you fit into that demographic they’re not interested in you.

Jaffe also mentions other Sony white male protagonists and everyone of them has been emasculated or killed off either in their game or their presence in the game.

-Days Gone- cancelled
-Uncharted- Nate drake loses a fist fight to a woke waymens of color
Kratos-Sad dad
-Joel, killed by Abby.

Then look at what their pushing:

Returnal: Soccer Grandma meets Prometheus
Horizon: Red haired waymen
-Miles morales

I mean it’s abundantly clear who Sony no longer deems worthy being their customers anymore. Good luck with that attitude going up against master cheif, doom guy, and elder scrolls 6.

They briefly mention it near the beginning but it confirmed my suspicions. I genuinely believe days gone won’t be getting a sequel because Deacon is a masculine white male. That’s it. Look at Sony’s Ps5 reveal and everything since. If you fit into that demographic they’re not interested in you.

Jaffe also mentions other Sony white male protagonists and everyone of them has been emasculated or killed off either in their game or their presence in the game.

-Days Gone- cancelled
-Uncharted- Nate drake loses a fist fight to a woke waymens of color
Kratos-Sad dad
-Joel, killed by Abby.

Then look at what their pushing:

Returnal: Soccer Grandma meets Prometheus
Horizon: Red haired waymen
-Miles morales

I mean it’s abundantly clear who Sony no longer deems worthy being their customers anymore. Good luck with that attitude going up against master cheif, doom guy, and elder scrolls 6.
Is this comment a parody?

Hugare

Insomniac had a way bigger team, who was more experienced on releasing (recently) home console AAA games, and open worlds, and wasn't building a new IP, and wasn't using a new (for them) engine for the first time, and already released PS4 games before.

Considering all this, 5 years is ok. And their budget must have been way smaller compared to other big open world games that we see from Rockstar, Ubisoft or Sony.

It's ok to ask him questions, and it's ok for him to reply. Very likely he'll say both good and bad things about his previous employer, because it's normal that he may think that and he's free to do it. Nothing is black or white.

And well, he will be careful about not without breaking NDAs, which exist to protect secret sensitive stuff. He can talk about a lot of things without breaking NDAs.
Having a smaller team and being inexperienced doesnt change the fact that Sony gave them 5 years of development time, budget for all those years + a big marketing push.

If anything, it shows that they probably tried to bite more than they could chew. Bad management.

All of this for a team that have developed their last console game in 2007. What publisher would offer them a better deal?

"Way smaller budget than other open world games from Rockstar, Ubisoft"

Pardon my language, but no shit. Ubisoft and Rockstar have thousands of employees + they have proven already that they can sell games.

"...or Sony"

We cant say for sure. But looking at other Sony games, from all developers, from Naughty Dog to Sucker Punch or Insomniac, we've seen high budget games all around. Even The Order had a big budget.

But for some reason, Bend was fucked over? Yeah, I dont buy it.

Smells like bad management

sncvsrtoip

Basically Jeff shits on everything what Schreier said. Jaffe desperatelly tried with attempt to goad Jeff Ross into trashing SIE, Jim, Hulst. LOL
hmm ? he confirmed dg2 was already in early development and that was suprised how many info was leaked in Schreier article. edit: tough he said its not true that bend studio becoming nd supporter edit2: he said he think article is true

Last edited:

EDMIX

As much as I enjoy days gone I completely agree with it not getting a sequel if this is true. Of all the new intellectual property Sony put out last generation like Horizon zero Dawn or ghost of tsushima , Days Gone is definitely at the bottom of that list in regards to their AAA titles.

The game is not the worst game ever but a lot of its mechanics are extremely mediocre and dated. The game story drags on very similar 2 Red Dead Redemption 2 but at the very least Red Dead Redemption 2 offers a deeply engaging world with very intelligent NPCs and a laundry list of interactions that can be made with that world, Days Gone has such a bad story that drags on at some point you start just plowing through a just trying to get to the ending because of how boring the story becomes for god sakes one of the characters supposedly risk their life only to miraculously survived something that doesn't really make any sense in which they probably should have just killed the character off to the point of feeling like you're watching a Saturday morning cartoon show.

I think I like more what Days Gone can become in the future with more additional work to flesh out the world, But ultimately I agree with a lot of the criticism regarding the game. I don't believe it has anything to do with journalists because ultimately Sony's job is to make money they still need to factor in this game was in development for something ridiculous like 6 or 7 years.

So I would say the criticism is valid regarding the game being mediocre and has very little to do with "woke politics" or triggered journalist because I'm positive they could still be triggered about an actual real mediocre game lol a journalist getting triggered over this game because of a white male protagonist or the dumbass reviewer that was clueless as to why all the Freaker's were pale looking doesn't actually mean they game MUST be good and they are lying, it is possible for them to make those comments and the game still actually be a meh game.....

So I definitely hope they do a sequel in the future, but I also understand if they don't. Not every new IP from Sony gets a sequel. That has been the case since PS1, so we can stop fucking acting like this is some brand new concept or conspiracy or change in the company etc.

Spiderman looked good but typically by the numbers

Yea and moved record units, forgot to mention that or? The story in Spiderman also flows much smoother.

hmm ? he confirmed dg2 was already in early development and that was suprised how many info was leaked in Schreier article.

Schreier said DG2 isn't a thing anymore. Jeff didn't said it was nor deny it. I think it is put on hold for now.

I mean yeah, it seemed to me he basically confirmed the article was true without actually doing so

Actually it isn't. Listen what Jeff said about Bend to be support studio
David Jaffe is deadass trying to lure Jeff into taking pot shots at Jim Ryan and Neil Druckmann.... what is this crap.

Last edited:

Elios83

About Days Gone 2: "Never say never to anything, it's just ...maybe not right now."

Jeff also said the whole Bend/Naughty Dog thing was a positive option to give some teams something to do in the early days of development when there is less to do.

Previous summary:
Jeff was asked if they feared Bend was becoming a support studio of ND.
He said: "that's completely false".

Jeff: "Sony is quite hands off and still takes risks. they still trusts developers tremendosly. that's something i miss while working with sony"

Herman Hulst is "a great leader, a master at what he does." according to Jeff.

Pretty much the whole narrative that Jason Scheier tried to create was debunked. The article was just a leak of a few projects with some drama tacked on it to pretend it was a scoop about a non existent turmoil and bad corporate culture.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Having a smaller team and being inexperienced doesnt change the fact that Sony gave them 5 years of development time, budget for all those years + a big marketing push.

If anything, it shows that they probably tried to bite more than they could chew. Bad management.
They gave them more than 6 years actually, by the end of 2013 Shu was already teasing the game that went on to become Days Gone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom