• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone director Jeff Ross has joined Tomb Raider studio Crystal Dynamics

Doczu

should add a nice dimension to naughty lara croft
images
I love that line and i love the fact that the only people who have anything against never heard a slutty line from a man or a woman.

Case closed virgos.

And betlst of luck at SE, may the new Tomb Raider be a call back to the classic ones.

A man having lots of sex with his wife is not an embarrassing thing.

A woman talking about having lots of sex with her husband, and comparing it to motorcycle riding, at a wedding alter is an embarrassing thing, i.e. it’s really bad writing. And if it’s meant to be serious, then those would be embarrassing characters.

It’s just Jerry Springer type stuff, which is why it gets called out repeatedly on boards.

Not talking about the technical aspects or the execution. The game may also be a blast. But regardless of context, that dialogue is just bad any way you slice it. It’s really not that big a deal though. I mean I thought Metroid Other M was an ok game, but every time Samus started talking I was looking over my shoulder to make sure the room was empty. The last thing I wanted to hear was “just what the hell are you playing?”
She's literally a scientist in the game. That's why it's a joke. She's poking fun at the fact that he's a biker. They're not rednecks. The game takes place outside Seattle area.

should add a nice dimension to naughty lara croft
images
People that keep talking about this scene being bad remind me of the laughing scene from Final Fantasy X and it's basically peak social media mind set. Remove all context and just post the one thing and that's it.

Context matters. If you remove it all it'll look stupid, but if you actually play the games it makes sense.

I actually laughed at that scene.

Which is what I said. If they are meant to be trashy people, fine. Then the writing is right on the money.

Have you ever been to a wedding? You just don’t say things like “I’m gonna bang this broad to kingdom come every damn day of the week!”

What’s funny is I don’t even care about this. I was just explaining why people seem to make fun of it to a poster that was mad that … it gets made fun of. It doesn’t matter that it’s an “inside joke.” Like I said it just comes across as bad, so people laugh at it. That’s it. The fact that people are laughing at it on a decent scale is proof enough of how it’s perceived. I really don’t have an interest in the game and never will, so like I said none of this matters to me. I honestly don’t have anything else to add so I’m good on this one.

You guys are funny man.
2DSv52Y.jpg

mckmas8808

Banned
People that keep talking about this scene being bad remind me of the laughing scene from Final Fantasy X and it's basically peak social media mind set. Remove all context and just post the one thing and that's it.

Context matters. If you remove it all it'll look stupid, but if you actually play the games it makes sense.

I actually laughed at that scene.

I think without context it's still a good sentence, that adds some humor. You're right though, it's peak social media\internet mindset. It's all so dumb.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
did you just ignore what i post?

ok, can you explain why it's shitty writing?

LOL, I am just saying that is the most cringey line I have heard in a long time in gaming that is not ironic, it was just a funny moment. Overall the writing was pretty decent throughout the game but I never really felt any deep connection to the characters. Deacon muttering to himself like some sort of meth head was funny when creeping around the bandit camps. All I am saying is the game was a bit disjointed, but overall once it was patched and even now with the 60FPS patch on PS5 it is a solid 8/9 out of 10 and worth the time (if you like open world games).

No need to get so defensive.

well-waiting.gif

edit: thought so

Apologies I didn't reply sooner, I have other commitments

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I haven't played the game but, even as a "joke", I'm trying to figure out in what possible context it doesn't still come across as a trashy hillbilly type comment?

People quote it because it's embarrassing writing, no matter the "context."

You don't create characters with lines to humor yourself and those around you?

If he directs it anything like Days Gone it's going to be the best Tomb Raider game of the reboot franchise. Such a disgrace that Sony wouldn't greenlight Bend on a DG sequel.

Y'all talk to each other like a poorly written B movie?

And another wild writing expert showed up

You're crazy.

Do you think people don't joke like this ever to each other in real life?

It's totally believable, totally realistic and totally in-character for that particular character in the game.

The threshold for poor writing begins and ends with believeability. There's not odd or unbelieveable about the scene or comment spoken.

You guys clearly haven't played the game and experienced the context of that full scene of you think that's unrealistic or unbelievable.

It's easy to take a single line of dialogue from any game in a still, completely without context and criticise it as poor writing. You can do it easily with fucking shakepere. Doesn't mean it is poor writing. It just means you are ignorant of the context and thus unqualified the assess the quality of the writing.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
You're crazy.

It's totally believable, totally realistic and totally in-character for that particular character in the game.

The threshold for poor writing begins and ends with believeability. There's not odd or believeable about the scene or comment spoken.

You guys clearly haven't played the game and experienced the context of that full scene of you think that's unrealistic or unbelievable.

It's easy to take a single line of dialogue from any game in a still, completely without context and criticise it as poor writing. You can do it easily with fucking shakepere. Doesn't mean it is poor writing. It just means you are ignorant of the context and thus unqualified the assess the quality of the writing.
Yo why are you quoting me 🤣

You're crazy.

The threshold for poor writing begins and ends with believeability. There's not odd or unbelieveable about the scene or comment spoken.

Dialogue isn't indicative of how people talk in real life. But more power to you if you think this is good writing. I already said Days Gone has a hardcore fan base who despite the games flaws (dialouge included) seem to love it. I tried the game, it was a bit to mid for my personal taste.

What, your girl never told you to "smash and beat her like just did Bayonetta in SSB"?
Man, sorry for your loss.
Instant hnnnng if she did.

jaysius

Banned
I loved the first 2 games in the newest Tomb Raider Trilogy, but the last one was pretty bad, so they can't get any worse. It's good that they've brought a new idea to the direction. Lets hope Lara isn't fighting boring zombies and having to constantly refuel her bike though.

jonnyp

Now get a competent writer and some good voice actors and they might have a great game instead of just an entertaining one.

Last edited:
Dialogue isn't indicative of how people talk in real life.

WTF?!?

What does this even mean? How can dialogue not be indicative of how people talk in real life?

What are you smoking?

How then are you assessing the quality of writing, O wise one?

But more power to you if you think this is good writing.

I never said it was good writing. It just isn't bad writing.

Outside of an obviously non-sensical line of dialogue, it's very difficult to assess the quality of writing of a single line of dialogue. Which is why your whole premise falls apart.

I already said Days Gone has a hardcore fan base who despite the games flaws (dialouge included) seem to love it.

Not seeing how this weird generalization is relevant to assessing the quality of the game's writing. Unless you're trying to posit that everyone who doesn't agree with you that this is bad writing is an irrational fan of the game who is incapable of objectively analyzing the individual aspects of the game...?

If so, fucking LOL!!! Wow, you must be so far up your own arse that you aren't seeing clearly for all the shit if you honestly think this kind of hot take has any validity.

I tried the game, it was a bit to mid for my personal taste.

Good for you. You're still wrong about the writing of this particular line of dialogue though.

WTF?!?

What does this even mean? How can dialogue not be indicative of how people talk in real life?

What are you smoking?

How then are you assessing the quality of writing, O wise one?

I never said it was good writing. It just isn't bad writing.

Outside of an obviously non-sensical line of dialogue, it's very difficult to assess the quality of writing of a single line of dialogue. Which is why your whole premise falls apart.

Not seeing how this weird generalization is relevant to assessing the quality of the game's writing. Unless you're trying to posit that everyone who doesn't agree with you that this is bad writing is an irrational fan of the game who is incapable of objectively analyzing the individual aspects of the game...?

If so, fucking LOL!!! Wow, you must be so far up your own arse that you aren't seeing clearly for all the shit if you honestly think this kind of hot take has any validity.

Good for you. You're still wrong about the writing of this particular line of dialogue though.
1. Brother in christ , the purpose of dialogue is to push the story forward and relay relevant information. It goes through countless edits and is very cleaned up...in real life people use alot of ummms, ahhh and other form vocalized pauses...first thing they teach you in screenwriting classes is that dialogue isnt written to model real life. Writing 101 fam.

2. Subjective, won't address...bad writing to me, not bad writing to you...some people find tyler perry movies good so your take isn't the worst I've heard.

3. A big criticism of the game was the story, so by pointing out that the game has a hardcore fanbase is pointing out that despite the fact the story is fairly accepted to be mid, a select few still love it and for whatever reason find that mid story to be entertaining.

1. Brother in christ , the purpose of dialogue is to push the story forward and relay relevant information. It goes through countless edits and is very cleaned up...in real life people use alot of ummms, ahhh and other form vocalized pauses...first thing they teach you in screenwriting classes is that dialogue isnt written to model real life. Writing 101 fam.

OMG!! You just said something that is flipping obvious and borderline self-evident. How insightful.

They also teach you that good dialogue is believable. If your dialogue isn't then it will take the reader/observer out of the story and that's the biggest faux pas a writer can make.

2. Subjective, won't address...bad writing to me, not bad writing to you...some people find tyler perry movies good so your take isn't the worst I've heard.

HAHAHA... so we're at the subjectivity argument already?

I mean, assessing bad writing is a pretty objective and sometimes even quantifiable thing. But if you wanna argue this single line of dialogue from Days Gone is bad subjectively, then you go right ahead and the rest of us will continue to ignore your subsequent non-arguments.

3. A big criticism of the game was the story,

Objectively or subjectively?... I mean, it's important to know on what basis we're arguing.

so by pointing out that the game has a hardcore fanbase is pointing out that despite the fact the story is fairly accepted to be mid,

Objectively or subjectively?

Argue the game's writing is bad subjectively and then you appeal to consensus as if it's some objective measure to try to make a point. Make up your mind. You're all over the place.

a select few still love it and for whatever reason find that mid story to be entertaining.

Whether you enjoy the story or not is purely subjective. Regardless, it's totally irrelevant to the assessment of whether this single line of dialogue is considered bad writing or not. You've gone on this weird tangent to misdirect away from the original argument you tried to make that is clear now you're wholly incapable of justifying/defending.

At this point, I think I have my answer and there's little more to discuss on this.

yurinka

He's very talented, did a great job in Sony. I loved Days Gone and think is better than the recent Tomb Raider trilogy. I think he cam improve them, or do a great job in Perfect Dark if he works there.

Top Bottom