• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone coming to PC this Spring (More Sony games on the way)

GymWolf

It would be nice if the pc version would use the more cpu power to unlock the physics\gore during horde fights, on console they get cutted out to a bare minimum to not crash the shitty jaguar if you fight a horde.

Something like the world war Z game would be great (who played both games know what i'm talking about).

Last edited:
Yeah. I don't care as long as it's not day and date.
I might be missing something here, but from a consumer perspective, why is a day and date release not good? More choice on platform, more avenues to buy, possible regional pricing. As a consumer, I don't see any downside?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Jim Ryan reaction whe he sees bunch of people paying $70 for ps5 first party game on consoles with checkerboard resolution when they can actually get the game much cheaper on Steam Summer sales + Free Online mode + unlocked native 4k 60 fps

tenor.gif

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I might be missing something here, but from a consumer perspective, why is a day and date release not good? More choice on platform, more avenues to buy, possible regional pricing. As a consumer, I don't see any downside?
There is no downside. If it was a multiplayer game with crossplay it would even be an advantage.

because it meant in the development phase they were already planning a PC port, and that constrains them from using the bespoke hardware to its full potential - which by the very nature of the console business, was the point of paying a large closed system hardware tax to begin with.
But the hardware...isn't really that bespoke in the first place. You guys are under false impressions that these are still exotic architectures, but they really aren't. Sony and Microsoft leverage Zen 2 and RDNA 2 designs for their products to the nature of those products, but those processing architectures are primarily developed with PC and server markets in mind. As those are the two biggest markets companies like AMD are involved in product-wise.

The only things potentially "bespoke" about the consoles in terms of being some exotic architecture are their decompression hardware, but even that is somewhat up for debate. Sony's for example, it's still using some repurposed Zen 2 logic for data coherency tasks, and I'm pretty sure there are controllers (probably within the server market) that have used SRAM for a built-in embedded cache. 12-channels is novel for a consumer product, but we've seen 32-channel controllers since 2012 (Micron) in server and data markets.

What's maybe not so bespoke, though, doesn't mean it isn't novel, and the fact these are current-gen systems with things like hardware-based decompressors as ASICs is new to the consumer gaming market; Microsoft and Sony should feel good about laying some groundwork there that could possibly lead to such silicon becoming more standard on other consumer devices like PCs, smartphones, laptops etc., maybe particularly for products that don't have the GPU grunt to decompress in software using some spare GPU hardware.

And more specific to Sony, I could possibly say aspects of Tempest Engine are "bespoke" in the exotic sense, but ultimately it's hardware for operations that are generally expressed hardware-agnostic; over time generic hardware becomes more capable and that code is usually hardware-agnostic anyway since it's usually not coded in hand-written assembly (with the budgets and size of most games these days, very few of the code would be written in assembly and it could be argued one's higher-language tools are flawed if a programmer has to step out of high-level language to micromanage code in low-level assembly with modern-day software and production workflows).

Still though, even in terms of Tempest, it's mainly based on a modified CU pulled from RDNA 2, that's AMD technology, and I already mentioned what markets they primarily design their technologies for. The benefit of consoles is that they can enclose a set of technologies within an embedded package where everything is closely integrated together. So if you mean "bespoke" in the sense of coding to a standard, singular set of chip components tightly coupled with one another that can deliver consistent results in writing code in high-level that can reliably keep that embedded singular set of chips in mind, then I can maybe see more of what your point is here. I still think it's overemphasized because, since the architecture of the components in such an embedded design of a console these days is essentially similar to PC technologies, you can approxiamate a rough equivalent in PC configurations resembling that embedded system on a non-embedded platform and get relatively equivalent performance anyway, but I'd see the point a little better there.

Umbasaborne

Banned

for the great war of course. How can we say xbox has no exclusives if our games come to pc day and date as well?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Imagine being this type of sad wanker:

Fan nerd mentality:

- I bought Days Gone = Yay!

- It is exclusive to PS = Yay!

- At this point, it's a bargain bin game so other PS gamers can play for cheap = Yay!

- Two years later, PC gamers can play it at pay full price = OMG, the house is burning down! I get sad when random PC gamers 10,000 miles away play it on their piece of plastic

Bryank75

Banned
This whole episode reminds me of when Pam tried to team up to take Ewing Oil away from me....

I never liked Jim much but I didn't think he was stupid till now.

On a totally unrelated note.... looks like Sony is way down on the markets over the last 24 hours.

Last edited:

Fake

This is the crux of it. You either design to take advantage of the hardware making games truly stand out, but at the same time difficult or maybe even impossible to port if taken to limit. OR you design with lowest common denominator being sata ssd without I/o decompression and dma hardware but cull your ambitions.

Sony’s lack of clarity is certainly frustrating. Considering they designed the PS5 to be the way it is, we can only guess at pc ports being limited to last gen or cross gen releases for the foreseeable future. If not, they have betrayed the tech and every dev that had input into it.

Personally I think it is a back catalogue move so as not to step on their own toes with their exclusive point of difference. Sony cannot possibly be as so dumb to not recognise the long term brand value in platform specific content.

As much as fanboys put fuel in whatever bad or god news we get, I still can't understand that move.

In my view, PC games could get Playstation games at the condition of PS5 get the same treat. Now, Sony release HZD for PC but no update or patch for his PS5 version.

Days Gone receive just a patch to unlock the framerate, not necessarily a PS5 app convertion, so is kinda sad seeing PC getting a proper version of Days Gone and PS5 just a BC.

Not to mention Dualsense works on PC, but not on PS4, not even for a simple joypad.

Is very confusing move. More games coming to PC, but no patchs/updates to PS5? What kinda of move is that?

Last edited:

Concern

As much as fanboys put fuel in whatever bad or god news we get, I still can't understand that move.

In my view, PC games could get Playstation games at the condition of PS5 get the same treat. Now, Sony release HZD for PC but no update or patch for his PS5 version.

Days Gone receive just a patch to unlock the framerate, not necessary a PS5 app convertion, so is kinda sad seeing PC getting a proper version of Days Gone and PS5 just a BC.

Not to mention Dualsense works on PC, but not on PS4, not even for a simple joypad.

Is very confusing move. More games coming to PC, but no patchs/updates to PS5? What kinda of move is that?

Simple. They can't/haven't figured out a way to sell you a patch yet. But they can at least rake in a few million more sales on pc.

Last edited:

Kerotan

It makes sense to put the originals on PC. It will just lead to more people buying the sequels plus more profits too.

Not to mention the millions epic will pay them for some titles.

Fake

Simple. They can't/haven't figured out a way to sell you a patch yet. But they can at least rake in a few million more sales on pc.

Lol? They spend the role previous generation doing that.

Remasters, remake...

I mean, nobody here want Bloodborne remaster for PS5, right?

Last edited:

Concern

Lol? They spend the role previous generation doing that.

Remasters, remake...

I mean, nobody here want Bloodborne remaster for PS5, right?

Im not sure what you're trying to say, no offense.

I want a Bloodborne patch and/or sequel. Not a remaster.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Days Gone receive just a patch to unlock the framerate, not necessarily a PS5 app convertion, so is kinda sad seeing PC getting a proper version of Days Gone and PS5 just a BC.

Jim Ryan TM move.

BTW, I got into the Tech Test for MLB The Show and while I havent been able to get in a game yet since it keeps crashing, the leaked screenshots and the small promotional clips I have seen indicate that there has been no PS5 upgrades like we saw in Fifa with that Frostbite hair tech, character models and facial animation upgrades. NBA2k got a complete overhaul with better lighting, entirely new courtside detail and pre and post game events, and better character models despite launching with the console. Meanwhile, a Sony owned studio launching a game 5 months after launch is shipping without any of these next gen features presumably because they were too busy trying to port this game to Xbox and implementing crossplay.

I am still hoping that they are hiding the PS5 next gen upgrades since they havent even released a trailer for this game yet. Just a few clips here and there. But so far things are not looking good. These guys shouldve had access to devkits back in April 2019. Way better the EA Sports and TakeTwo devs. Absolutely unacceptable what Jim has done with the PS division.

Interfectum

Up on the steam store.

"PC features include ultra-wide monitor support, unlocked framerates and improved graphics (increased level of details, field of view, foliage draw distances). "
Seemingly no PSN functionality, no trophies, no cross progression and the publisher is Playstation Mobile... lol.

They have literally no system in place to covert these users to a PlayStation ecosystem. Really makes what MS is doing with Xbox PC/console/mobile look that much better.

Fake

Im not sure what you're trying to say, no offense.

I want a Bloodborne patch and/or sequel. Not a remaster.

Neither I. You don't speak for everyone. Take note.

Some people want a sequel, others just a decent version of Bloodborne.

IDK what you're trying to argue here. Sony can do remakes/remaster for PS5 in the same fashion they did on PS4 era. Worked for Sony at the same way is working right now for Nintendo.

Shmunter

In all fairness they need to offer a point of difference on PC to be able to sell an old game again. And strictly the games are just slider boosted on pc, not remasters in any sense.

To sell the game again for PS5 it would need to go a lot further - new assets, new tech e.g RT. Otherwise the already available prior gen game would be too similar and backlash would ensure trying to monetise it. Look at Control, even the RT was insufficient to escape bad press, and it ended up on ps+ likely due to some of this.

Bc patches for these games to take advantage of PS5 not withstanding; Horizon 60fps is well overdue and poor form indeed leaving us in the cold.

Concern

Neither I. You don't speak for everyone. Take note.

Some people want a sequel, others just a decent version of Bloodborne.

IDK what you're trying to argue here. Sony can do remakes/remaster for PS5 in the same fashion they did on PS4 era. Worked for Sony at the same way is working right now for Nintendo.

They can, of course but it wouldn't make them look good considering the games are backwards compatible. Why would you ask for a Days Gone remaster for example, when its already backwards compatible and even has an upgrade patch? Ps4 wasn't bc, that's the difference from last gen.

You don't make any sense.

Edit: Exactly my point. Clueless rambling lol

Last edited:

Fake

In all fairness they need to offer a point of difference on PC to be able to sell an old game again. And strictly the games are just slider boosted on pc, not remasters in any sense.

To sell the game again for PS5 it would need to go a lot further - new assets, new tech e.g RT. Otherwise the already available prior gen game would be too similar and backlash would ensure trying to monetise it. Look at Control, even the RT was insufficient to escape bad press, and it ended up on ps+ likely due to some of this.

Bc patches for these games to take advantage of PS5 not withstanding; Horizon 60fps is well overdue and poor form indeed leaving us in the cold.

Thats my point.

Patches are free, but a remaster/remake need to have bonus to sell. Can someone be so dumb at point of seeing for example, Sony reselling Bloodborne without the DLC?

Take Days Gone, is just a PRO version running on PS5 via BC at unlock framerate.

4k resolution with 4k textures, 120hz framerate option, raytracing, a proper SSD version, all the DLCs already in one pack.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The flaw in this thinking is that the companies will, in fact, change their current codebase to support the PC. This means that the ports aren't just for past titles (i.e. having two separate pipelines). There will be one pipeline and one shared codebase (just like all the 3rd party titles are). This is coming from my reliable source. Expect PS5 titles to have PC ports as well. The SSD isn't going to be a problem for PC users. I think they can definitely manage I/O (or refactor that code for PC). Like I said before, the real limitation will be in the rendering of the scene. The PC will always have the bandwidth advantage which is what drives how a game will ultimately look like and perform.

No they won't, and i/o limitation is a far less easily surmountable problem than any part of the render pipeline. We're already seeing games with faster loading on PS5 than PC, and noone's really leaning on that yet. In time they will, and if they do try to use more complex/larger assets on PC its just going to add to the strain.

No they won't, and i/o limitation is a far less easily surmountable problem than any part of the render pipeline. We're already seeing games with faster loading on PS5 than PC, and noone's really leaning on that yet. In time they will, and if they do try to use more complex/larger assets on PC its just going to add to the strain.
You're acting as if I/O advancements on PC are at a standstill; Nvidia just introduced GPUDirectStorage with their RTX 30 series, AMD have support for DirectStorage, and DirectStorage is doing significant rewrites of file I/O access and management parameters on the PC side. Couple that with higher-performance mid-tier and high-tier SSDs already coming to market and surely will over the course of the year, pushing raw bandwidth quite higher than Sony's and with effective throughput performance either as good or potentially better, and I don't see how anyone can think I/O will be a major conflict in PS5 titles potentially coming to PC...and this is after considering when PS5 games will actually start fully leveraging that system's I/O, btw.

The truth is there is a decent chance we might see that happen, especially with multiplayer or MMO-style games, which could likely come day-and-date between PS5 and PC. Single-player story-driven games, I wouldn't expect any of those day-and-date, and I don't think the majority of those actually get ports to PC, but a small handful might. We could be looking at a time differential of anywhere between 1-3 years on those. While I'll be surprised if any of those type of 1P games come day-and-date on PC or within six months coming out on PS5, we can't rule this out as a 0% possibility, I'd give that scenario a 10% chance of occurring at the moment.

I think some people want to keep lying to themselves, saying PS5's SSD I/O is going to be the roadblock in preventing any PS5 ports to the platform, because they don't want to confront a reality where at least some PS5 1P games could in fact get ports to the platform. Never mind, Sony already screwed up last November with that listing of Demon's Souls remastered for "PC and other consoles (likely PS4)". They were SUPER quick to remove it but you'd think if it was really in error by some intern or whatever, they'd have reviewed the footage before that stream and edit that part out before it was mentioned publicly. My gut continues to tell me that wasn't actually an error listing and was, in fact, forward communication of their plans for a Demon's Souls Remake port to the PC (probably through EGS), but weren't ready for any potential backlash and therefore got out in front of that very quickly.

But that right there is an example of a PS5 game with a probable PC port in the making, and there could potentially be others. This notion that the SSD is so lightyears ahead it'll make porting impossible is a fantasy; after all, we've had systems in the past with WAY bigger ACTUAL hardware differences at the architectural level (SNES/MegaDrive/PC-Engine, PS1/Saturn/N64, PS2/DC/Gamecube/Xbox, PS3/360 etc.) and still saw developers/publishers justify plenty of ports between those systems, even for super-niche games and on platforms with very small install bases....without any of the modern tools that make porting so much easier, too. I think if Sony sees the money in doing ports, they will more than easily be able to justify doing ports between a system with a lot of PC architectural technology anyway...and actual PCs 🤷‍♂️ .

MonarchJT

Banned
The flaw in this thinking is that the companies will, in fact, change their current codebase to support the PC. This means that the ports aren't just for past titles (i.e. having two separate pipelines). There will be one pipeline and one shared codebase (just like all the 3rd party titles are). This is coming from my reliable source. Expect PS5 titles to have PC ports as well. The SSD isn't going to be a problem for PC users. I think they can definitely manage I/O (or refactor that code for PC). Like I said before, the real limitation will be in the rendering of the scene. The PC will always have the bandwidth advantage which is what drives how a game will ultimately look like and perform.
completely agree

Guilty_AI

The most ironic thing in this ordeal is that Sony putting their games on PC will actually benefit the same user base currently complaining about this move.
More players, more revenue, more incentive to invest in their games division, thats without saying how having a larger variety in their public might inspire them to make more creative and diverse games.

Imagine a CRPG made by these studios you like so much, it'd be viable knowing its a genre the PC player base is heavily into. Not so much if they only have their console users base to go by. Imagine the sort of stuff people would create in Dreams if it were released as a game engine, where people could have actual control over their creations.

"oh but they're gonna kill the playstation brand!!!" First of all, why do you care? Secondly, you're wrong. Third, even if you were right, they certainly would still make consoles which you could buy and enjoy all the same. Finally, if you think it'd be not worth anymore to get a PS because you could just buy a PC to play everything, why don't you do just that?

Last edited:
Again another comedy gold thread. Temper tantrum sneks, life questioning oil barons and in pillow crying Bobos. What the heck are you guys so upset about. You can't be so egomaniacal that you can't stand that others get to play "your" games. This is a good thing for Sony and for PC players.
If you'd behave your age and not like 12year old console warriors you'd see that too.
Somehow I'm always reminded of the fake youtube "angry kid remote" clip when I read these emotional outbursts.

vkbest

As a diehard Sony fan i think it's really cool that more Sony games are coming to other platforms. I sincerely hope Bloodborne will join the party soon. It drastically increases the chances of a remaster for PS5 and possibly a sequel
The problem is those improvements are not coming to new hardware (PS5) it’s running on BC, horizon even no released a enhanced path. And the one game they fully improved (Spider-Man) they ask for more money, they will have to explain when they release a Bloodborne or similar game, why PS players have to pay to play online, when on PC is free using the same Sony servers we are using

This and making PS4 version of games such as Horizon 2, it’s clear for me, they don’t trust on PS5 sales in long term

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Less loading speed isn't an issue for loading up scenes for the PC. The difference is negligible. The PS5's bandwidth limitation is a problem when trying to render complex scenes @ render targets. It will be even more of a constraint when you open up the SSD I/O for creating more complex geometry/textures. The SSD won't help with lighting/shading/RT.

Guilty_AI

This and making PS4 version of games such as Horizon 2, it’s clear for me, they don’t trust on PS5 sales in long term
Among chip shortages, a global pandemic and increasing time/costs in AAA game development, i'd have my reservations too

Last edited:
YES! I don't need a PS5 or an Xbox anymore!
You do need PS5 if you want to enjoy exclusive at launch. Sony will never release day and date on PC as long as they are in console hardware business.

If you willing to wait 1 to 2 years then go ahead. Plus we still havnt seen ant SSM or ND games on PC yet including decade old UC games

Fredrik

Jim Ryan reaction whe he sees bunch of people paying $70 for ps5 first party game on consoles with checkerboard resolution when they can actually get the game much cheaper on Steam Summer sales + Free Online mode + unlocked native 4k 60 fps

tenor.gif
This is how it constantly is for Xbox owners, but this happens day 1.

Still seems to go down pretty well though, which is why I’m so confused by the cranky Playstation fans here.

Maybe we need a poll among Xbox and Playstation gamers to see how common it actually is to have a gaming PC?
I thought it was more common among PS gamers but today I’m not so sure anymore.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Again another comedy gold thread. Temper tantrum sneks, life questioning oil barons and in pillow crying Bobos. What the heck are you guys so upset about. You can't be so egomaniacal that you can't stand that others get to play "your" games. This is a good thing for Sony and for PC players.
If you'd behave your age and not like 12year old console warriors you'd see that too.
Somehow I'm always reminded of the fake youtube "angry kid remote" clip when I read these emotional outbursts.
Funny thing is that tons of console games have roots with PC origins. But at some point, whether it's the 16 bit, 32 bit or just recently now, consoles might get some ports of PC games which originated on computers.

I have never seen PC gamers light torches saying it sucks console gamers get to play shooters, Diablo, The Sims or whatever other games/genres that are traditionally PC.

Fahdis

You do need PS5 if you want to enjoy exclusive at launch. Sony will never release day and date on PC as long as they are in console hardware business.

If you willing to wait 1 to 2 years then go ahead. Plus we still havnt seen ant SSM or ND games on PC yet including decade old UC games

I will wait. Plus in my region I pay 3x less than you guys on launch for any Sony Products as well. HZD launched for 14.99 on Steam. Plus I wait for bargains, bought it recently for $10 during the steam winter sale and I'd call that an impulse buy. I've had a PS system all my life, but I think I am done from Consoles.

Last edited:

vkbest

That is now, but you could have said 1 year ago, you wouldn’t get to play a Sony game on PC

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I will wait. Plus in my region I pay 3x less than you guys on launch for any Sony Products as well. HZD launched for 14.99 on Steam. Plus I wait for bargains, bought it recently for $10 during the steam winter sale and I'd call that an impulse buy. I've had a PS system all my life, but I think I am done from Consoles.
Wow.

Canada just rides the US price. US price + 25-30% currency exchange = Canada price

vkbest

Sony playing smart. Making people double dip. Releasing on PC when console version sales died down is smart
This is not smart, I bought a PS5 because demons souls. I could sell now, buy a PC (tempted for 4 years), and I’m not a a guy who buy COD and Fifa alone, I’m spending every month 100€ on games. Sony would lose around 9400€ from me after this move on PS5 gen. Besides people having problem to get a PS5 and this news could get them to jump to PC

How much money will Sony lose, if people jump to PC and don’t buy more third party games on PSN?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I have never seen PC gamers light torches saying it sucks console gamers get to play shooters, Diablo, The Sims or whatever other games/genres that are traditionally PC.
I remember some PC gamers tossing a ton of shit when Diablo 3 was announced for consoles, and then some more when they saw console gamers had a roll button.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The most ironic thing in this ordeal is that Sony putting their games on PC will actually benefit the same user base currently complaining about this move.
More players, more revenue, more incentive to invest in their games division, thats without saying how having a larger variety in their public might inspire them to make more creative and diverse games.

Yeah, I dont buy that trickle down theory. They will just pocket the extra cash and give themselves bonuses. PS4 was a massive success from day one and they shut down Evolution Studios at the first sight of trouble. Those billions they made didnt benefit the ps4 userbase that liked DriveClub and Motorstorm.

Also, the extra revenue brought in by Horizon PC didnt benefit console userbase and we did not even get a framerate boost, let alone a dedicated PS5 patch with FOV settings, better draw distance and interactive foliage.

Days Gone is also getting the same enhancements on PC while the PS5 userbase has to live with a simple 30 to 60 fps boost. You dont expect the userbase to revolt when they get treated like second class citizens?

What the heck are you guys so upset about. You can't be so egomaniacal that you can't stand that others get to play "your" games. This is a good thing for Sony and for PC players.
I personally dont care who gets to play these games. I care about getting the best version possible. Making games on multiple platforms is more work, takes more resources, costs more and all of that could lead to cuts across the board. Fewer features, cut bosses, not to mention delays. ND had to delay TLOU2 three times after announcing the date which was already delayed after they pushed the game out of its original 2019 slot. What's going to happen in the future when simultaneous releases become a thing a la the Xbox/PC lineup. We've already seen what happens when devs are forced to ship on multiple platforms. Ori was straight up broken on the base xbox console.

MLB the show is another example. Its finally going multiplatform this year and they forgot to include next gen upgrades. Hell, even NBA and Fifa had next gen upgrades so I am hoping this is all a big joke and they are hiding next gen features for tomorrow's state of play. But it's clear that these studios are not big enough to handle multiple versions.

Horizon Forbidden west launching on PS4 is not a good thing for PS5 owners who paid for a next gen console only to get a game held back by last gen hardware. It's not about who gets to play my games, it's about the games I want to play and I dont want to play games that have been limited by either outdated hardware in the case of PS4 or because of extra work needed for porting games to other platform. i.e, PC.

It's a slippery slope thing. A year ago, people were saying porting Horizon wouldnt affect Horizon 2. Well, GG has spent the past few months fixing bugs for the PC version of a game that came out 4 years ago. A year ago people were saying Horizon was the exception. The rest of us said its a slippery slope, and the rest will follow. Well now we are here. In a year or two, it will be simultaneous PC releases. Then we will get to another slippery slope. Multiplatform games ship with bugs and in broken states because they know they will sell millions anyway. All they care about is short term profits, hitting that holiday season in Cyberpunk's case or in EA's case hitting that March fiscal year deadline. If all Sony cares about is revenue then why wouldnt they rush out titles for the holiday season instead of delaying them like they do now? Again, its something they do now but thats the end game. Thats the slippery slope.

Ubisoft just had the best year ever in terms of profits and revenue. Releasing games that wouldnt even make the top ten of any GOTY list. Thats the future of Sony exclusives if all revenue and profits are put above quality.

Top Bottom