• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone coming to PC this Spring (More Sony games on the way)

Shmunter

If PS5 games are coming for pc and/or PS4 will we see the power of that magical wonder SSD in the future at all? I mean Ratchet is a nice SSD demo, but will there be more?
This is the crux of it. You either design to take advantage of the hardware making games truly stand out, but at the same time difficult or maybe even impossible to port if taken to limit. OR you design with lowest common denominator being sata ssd without I/o decompression and dma hardware but cull your ambitions.

Sony’s lack of clarity is certainly frustrating. Considering they designed the PS5 to be the way it is, we can only guess at pc ports being limited to last gen or cross gen releases for the foreseeable future. If not, they have betrayed the tech and every dev that had input into it.

Personally I think it is a back catalogue move so as not to step on their own toes with their exclusive point of difference. Sony cannot possibly be as so dumb to not recognise the long term brand value in platform specific content.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
PC versions aren’t made for you, they’re made for those who might not have a console or for whatever reason haven’t played the original releases or those who weren’t satisfied with how they ran and looked on console and would gladly double dip for an improved version.

And I haven’t even played Days Gone so this will be the perfect point for me to jump in, especially since I don’t have a PS5 so in my world this is still a 30fps game on console.
I haven't played any PS4 exclusive game except Horizon on PC, but PS5 can run these games @ ~4K and 60 FPS easily and that's more than good enough for me, especially if it means that I'll be paying way less and I mean WAY LESS. Horizon is 2800K RUB right now (I bought it for 700 RUB before price hike) and there's no way I'll be paying that much for PS4 exlusives on PC, it's just not gonna happen and not worth it for me personaly. I'll gain way more if I'll buy PS5 which won't always be out of stock and not available to buy btw.

Zathalus

I haven't played any PS4 exclusive game except Horizon on PC, but PS5 can run these games @ ~4K and 60 FPS easily and that's more than good enough for me, especially if it means that I'll be paying way less and I mean WAY LESS. Horizon is 2800K RUB right now (I bought it for 700 RUB before price hike) and there's no way I'll be paying that much for PS4 exlusives on PC, it's just not gonna happen and not worth it for me personaly. I'll gain way more if I'll buy PS5 which won't always be out of stock and not available to buy btw.
Actually I am not sure if the PS5 is powerful enough to run Days Gone, Horizon, or God of War at native 4k 60 FPS. That is 4 times the resolution and twice the frame rate of the Ps4 games, so 8 times the data to render. Maybe if they were PS5 native games, but BC enhanced is out of the question.

4k CBR or 1440p is easy though.

kuncol02

Banned
the crap that does not sell on ps4 is offered to pc users, congratulations, enjoy
angry u mad GIF by Mayfly

martino

This is the crux of it. You either design to take advantage of the hardware making games truly stand out, but at the same time difficult or maybe even impossible to port if taken to limit. OR you design with lowest common denominator being sata ssd without I/o decompression and dma hardware but cull your ambitions.

Sony’s lack of clarity is certainly frustrating. Considering they designed the PS5 to be the way it is, we can only guess at pc ports being limited to last gen or cross gen releases for the foreseeable future. If not, they have betrayed the tech and every dev that had input into it.

Personally I think it is a back catalogue move so as not to step on their own toes with their exclusive point of difference. If cannot possibly be as so dumb to recognise the long term brand value in platform specific content.

'da metal' will loose more and more traction the more 'baseline' power we have....when you produce games (and not an engine) money is well more spend elsewhere (production of assets, animation etc...) than heavy effort to get 5-10% of power back
and indie games are a good indication of it...last gen we were already at a point where the problem is more the lack of production value/means that a real need to squeeze all possible power available
this will become even more true this gen and the next and the next.
it's also maybe you're not really understanding the ps5 hardware design evolution for game developer.Everything is made usable out of the box and when it's not the case they push computational approach ( like primitive shader) as a way to override the hardware when not flexible enough. with that in mind you see that it's mostly the opposite of da metal.
imo it's more a sign they look in the long run and not only in the present...

Editaur

With Days Gone being built on Unreal Engine hopefully this port will have a much smoother transition than Horizon did at launch.

Fredrik

Considering they designed the PS5 to be the way it is, we can only guess at pc ports being limited to last gen or cross gen releases for the foreseeable future. If not, they have betrayed the tech and every dev that had input into it.
SSD and IO tech on PC isn’t standing still for another 6 years like it does on consoles. This won’t be a problem. Sony can keep pushing PS5 to it’s limit and can still release improved versions on PC.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
You want Sony to make more money and make more games?

Or you want playstation to make less money and bring you more exclusives?
That's just it, there was no communication to that end.....

They didn't just buy out a massive publisher, that was MSFT.
They've invested minimally in expanding the first party while ruining relationships with Ueda and Supermassive and Quantic Dream and shutting down Zipper and Evolution.....while MLB goes multiplatform and Horizon and Days Gone go to PC........

It's been all take and no give. When the fuck do we get anything new? Anything exciting?

Shmunter

'da metal' will loose more and more traction the more 'baseline' power we have....when you produce games (and not an engine) money is well more spend elsewhere (production of assets, animation etc...) than heavy effort to get 5-10% of power back
and indie games are a good indication of it...last gen we were already at a point where the problem is more the lack of production value/means that a real need to squeeze all possible power available
this will become even more true this gen and the next and the next.
it's also maybe you're not really understanding the ps5 hardware design evolution for game developer.Everything is made usable out of the box and when it's not the case they push computational approach ( like primitive shader) as a way to override the hardware when not flexible enough. with that in mind you see that it's mostly the opposite of da metal.
imo it's more a sign they look in the long run and not only in the present...
Not talking metal in this instance, although it’s always a valid point with custom hardware...in PS5 case, the programmable geometry engine and tempest.

Was referring to custom I/o in PS5. Naysayers don’t believe in the potential of on demand assets being available at any point, typically fans on the other side, while logical of mind can conceptualise it relatively easily.

Last edited:

Fredrik

That’s what I’m saying. This PC strategy isn’t for you, you’re okay with what you get through PS5, so this shouldn’t concern you. This PC strategy is to get people like me to open the wallet since I don’t have a PS5 and never bought the PS4 version since I don’t pay for 30fps action games. +1 sold copy here. Nothing lost.

MonarchJT

Banned
Jim Ryan is incompetent at his job, he has no clue what made PS successful cause he was head of Europe where there was no competition for PS.

He is a clown and by the end of the generation he will have damaged the brand quite substantially.
my god man....calm down we talking about videogames... you seem some character coming out from sailor moon anime crying . It's embarassing
PS Now is competitor to Gamepass for years. Level headed people are seeing this for years.
Not even close. As right now psnow is the same league as xcloud, stadia or luna regarding the PC world.I'm not talking about streaming on pc I'm talking about ports and future release . Until psnow didn't get on launch day the games will never be the same as gamepass. But I'm talking about this . sony will get there

Last edited:

Shmunter

SSD and IO tech on PC isn’t standing still for another 6 years like it does on consoles. This won’t be a problem. Sony and can keep pushing PS5 to it’s limit and can still release improved versions on PC.
No doubt, that’s what they are waiting for. Still not there however.

SkylineRKR

What does it matter. Even if they hit PC day one, which they don't, I would still play them on PS5 as I have no gaming rig and not interested in it either.

So far DG is a PS4 game thats nearly 2 years old. I platted it on PS5, its highly recommended if you don't have a console to play it on.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Ps now is available in 20 countries at most. Gamepass is in a lot more. They still have to deploy the service in South America for example. Maybe they can finally afford the servers with the pc ports sales...

I would have tried ps now a couple of months if it was available in my country as Bloodborne is the only first party game I really want. All the others are on the nice to have category.

No point in buying an expensive paperweight to play one game

martino

Not talking metal in this instance, although it’s always a valid point with custom hardware...in PS5 case, the programmable geometry engine and tempest.

Was referring to custom I/o in PS5. Naysayers don’t believe in the potential of on demand assets being available at any point, typically fans on the other side, while logical of mind can conceptualise it relatively easily.
Sure but where is the balance ? i/o in games production is only one part of a puzzle with lot of others pieces.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
This will make it three games in three years. Decima and Unreal.

People who take this to mean every game or day 1 PC releases need a reality check.

MonarchJT

Banned
This will make it three games in three years. Decima and Unreal.

People who take this to mean every game or day 1 PC releases need a reality check.
I'm sure Sony are testing the market and when they understand that its games would sell a lot more if released on PC it will be very difficult to get them back to absolute console exclusivity. The truth is that the PC and console world can coexist without entering into direct competition simply because the type of experience between console and PC is objectively different. Microsoft has proven it and Sony is following in its footsteps. It was clear to happen the fanboys who once went around saying "I don't need that xxxx console when I can play everything on pc!" , would change tone about it. This is because, it was simply nonsense from the start.
Microsoft and Sony need to expand the market and they know they can't do it just by selling more consoles, because there is a physical limit on the number of consoles you can produce and sell during a generation of 7 years Especially if everything is slowed down by unexpected events like covid. honestly, if we want to say it all.. we're going to have a hard time seeing the physical (one brand) console market exceed 200k units in just 7 years even without any inconvenience like covid is. Doing this instead of the user reach it will suddenly be much higher than 200k.
The extremist fanboys will foolishly continue to shout against the release of games on the PC but one day they will understand too Or they will simply be forgotten in a corner still ranting about it

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

They've invested minimally in expanding the first party while ruining relationships with Ueda and Supermassive and Quantic Dream and shutting down Zipper and Evolution.....while MLB goes multiplatform and Horizon and Days Gone go to PC........

It's been all take and no give. When the fuck do we get anything new? Anything exciting?

I hate to say it, but from a business standpoint Ueda always was a bit of liability. You can't have internal team leaders that not only serially fail to hit release dates, but entire console generations! Noone, be it Nintendo, MS, or Sony is going to put up with that forever.

The honest truth is he'd probably have been fired iong since were he employed by any third-party publisher, its going to be interesting to see if he fares better on his own, because few backers are going to allow him anywhere close to the amount of leeway that Sony did.

Who's to say they "ruined relationships" with Supermassive and QD either? Both companies seem to be doing well and their product is still likely coming to Playstation.

Zipper went out of business in 2012, so blaming Ryan for it is just nutty, as for Evo... well Drive Club was hardly their first flop and nobody gets infinite chances at making a hit.

MLB going multi-plat seems like it was out of their hands, and as for Horizon and Days Gone on PC, its just obvious. How do you grow franchises past initial release, past multiple discount cycles where you have effectively saturated your existing market and userbase? You release on another platform to expose the property to a wider audience in preparation to offering the sequel(s) exclusively on your own ecosystem.

Haggard

Banned
Offering games to a broader audience is always a good thing. Especially if that audience has hardware that can finally run a game the way it`s meant to be played ;)
If Sony started releasing all of their games on PC I´d never look at PS hardware again just like it is with MS`s Xbox.
That`s also the reason why I firmly believe that Sony will at best keep drip-feeding the PC crowd. They want people buying their hardware and entering their PS ecosystem after all.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
That`s also the reason why I firmly believe that Sony will at best keep drip-feeding the PC crowd. They want people buying their hardware and entering their PS ecosystem after all.
I don't think they are too interested in pc gamers buying their console. Sony makes money with PS+ and 3rd games, but no sane pc gamer would pay for online gaming or play the games in worse quality. Worst case scenario for Sony is people buying their console while they subsidize the hardware and then those people only buy their cinematics second hand on disc and resell them. And i know some people that do so.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That’s what I’m saying. This PC strategy isn’t for you, you’re okay with what you get through PS5, so this shouldn’t concern you.
It's for me, except it's not. Here's the thing, I would've gadly bought PC versions if not for the price which will be way above retail price for PS4 version and here's where they're losing me completely as a potential costumer. It's the same game as on PS4 which is however many years old at this point, so why do I have to pay way more if I can pay way less and still get 60 FPS experience @1440-4K CBR? Why there's no regional pricing for PC version if there is one for PS4 version (which includes 20% VAT btw)? I'm specifically talking about Greates Hits series, but you can even find games not related to it for the same price too, new ones even during sales like Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2 etc.

This PC strategy is to get people like me to open the wallet since I don’t have a PS5 and never bought the PS4 version since I don’t pay for 30fps action games. +1 sold copy here. Nothing lost.
Excactly, except you're not paying for 30 FPS games anymore when it comes to most of the Sony's 1ts-party PS4 exclusives (minus Bloodborne and Last Guardian... I think?), majority of them are running @ locked 60 FPS on PS5 no problem.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yeah, the lack of nurturing devs that gave ps the diverse portfolio that built the brand is reprehensible. Shutting studios like Evolution is unforgivable.

MonarchJT

Banned
Excactly, except you're not paying for 30 FPS games anymore when it comes to most of the Sony's 1ts-party PS4 exclusives (minus Bloodborne and Last Guardian... I think?), majority of them are running @ locked 60 FPS on PS5 no problem.
don't engage a stupid perfomance/settings/features war Ps5 will clearly going to lose against PC's. the next year ps5 and xsx will be probably already very obsolete specs wise

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
don't engage a stupid perfomance/settings/features war Ps5 will clearly going to lose against PC's. the next year ps5 and xsx will be probably already very obsolete specs wise

Only for people willing to spend multiple times the same cost of a console on their PC's. The vast majority of PC's in the wild will be specced under what current gen consoles offer. The baseline moves much slower than the vanguard, and I see the gap widening as phones and tablets grow in capability because lets face it, if you aren't using PC for gaming and/or your occupation they aren't nearly so crucial as they were a decade ago and so the impetus to upgrade is lower.

LostDonkey

They sent out that survey didn't they about people's thoughts on PSnow for PC and iirc a lot of the complaints were about the 720p streaming and how poor it is and that native versions would be much better. Maybe they listened.

Last edited:
They were obsolete on a release date.

I'm playing Days Gone on PS5 at the moment. Very cool game and great addition to never ending catalog of PC games. I'm excited to see what other games will be released.

Gran Turismo would be amazing on PC...

Fredrik

Yeah but I don’t have a PS5, so a PC version is how they get my money. They already got your money, that door is closed, they’re after my money here.

MonarchJT

Banned
Only for people willing to spend multiple times the same cost of a console on their PC's. The vast majority of PC's in the wild will be specced under what current gen consoles offer. The baseline moves much slower than the vanguard, and I see the gap widening as phones and tablets grow in capability because lets face it, if you aren't using PC for gaming and/or your occupation they aren't nearly so crucial as they were a decade ago and so the impetus to upgrade is lower.
probably there are more 3070 out there than ps5 already ... not even talking about 6800+6800xt+3070+3080+3090 again don't engage a war that is too easy to lose. Xsx with 12 tf has no hope of being considered top performant today ...next year Imagine the ps5 with 10 tf variables. Console are what they are ...best money for performance that's it. but never the top performances

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I don't understand where this comes from. There have been several companies that have used the PS to it's full potential - even today. It doesn't have to be a 1st party company.
I don't understand your reply, as there is literally no games in recent memory - PS4 onwards - where a non-1st party has designed specially for the hardware so that it can't be ported without dropped features or redesign resulting in different gameplay where the physicality and physical FX are built around things like hUMA. Pushing VFX isn't pushing the console to its full potential, because at the end of the day, all VFX are just inconsequential eye candy - that is decoupled from a game's functionality.

MonarchJT

Banned
And I'm sure that to simplify the pc port process they will use much more often UE(5) for this reason there was the economic agreement between Sony and Epic

Every game that is in the PS+ collection has a possibility of going to go PC at some point. These games are Free to every PS+ user so Sony is never going to make another penny on them. This looks like the method that they are going to pay for this "Collection"

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
probably there are more 3070 out there than ps5 already ... not even talking about 6800+6800xt+3070+3080+3090 again don't engage a war that is too easy to lose. Xsx with 12 tf has no hope of being considered top performant today ...next year Imagine the ps5 with 10 tf variables. Console are what they are ...best money for performance that's it. but never the top performances

There's no "war" to win or lose. The only question mark is whether the user experience is satisfactory.

What PC enthusiasts fail to grasp so often is that all the things they like, and consider (correctly) to be the greatest strengths of the platform are in many instances superfluous or straight-up unwanted by the majority of the gaming market.

Its really that simple, and especially with it looking like consoles are going to be more frequently offering 60fps modes going forwards I see PC actually losing a bit of momentum. See the issue is that although the enthusiast market has started to prioritize higher framerates like 120Hz+, the requirement for having specialized displays to handle that is a limiting factor. Someone who just uses their device to do email, pay bills, and watch Netflix and Youtube has minimal need for anything above 60hz.The more concerning part should be that phones and tablets can also do all this and in a more convenient and pleasing form-factor...

I don't feel like PC Gaming is getting more mainstream, which isn't to say that the market isn't growing because that's inevitable as tech adoption improves globally, just that its getting to be a more defined segment within the market-space. Meaning that its getting more visibility and marketing attention, but pricing is going to rise as the specific desires of the enthusiast crowd are addressed/monetized.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Personally I think it is a back catalogue move so as not to step on their own toes with their exclusive point of difference. Sony cannot possibly be as so dumb to not recognise the long term brand value in platform specific content.
The flaw in this thinking is that the companies will, in fact, change their current codebase to support the PC. This means that the ports aren't just for past titles (i.e. having two separate pipelines). There will be one pipeline and one shared codebase (just like all the 3rd party titles are). This is coming from my reliable source. Expect PS5 titles to have PC ports as well. The SSD isn't going to be a problem for PC users. I think they can definitely manage I/O (or refactor that code for PC). Like I said before, the real limitation will be in the rendering of the scene. The PC will always have the bandwidth advantage which is what drives how a game will ultimately look like and perform.

Shmunter

The flaw in this thinking is that the companies will, in fact, change their current codebase to support the PC. This means that the ports aren't just for past titles (i.e. having two separate pipelines). There will be one pipeline and one shared codebase (just like all the 3rd party titles are). This is coming from my reliable source. Expect PS5 titles to have PC ports as well. The SSD isn't going to be a problem for PC users. I think they can definitely manage I/O (or refactor that code for PC). Like I said before, the real limitation will be in the rendering of the scene. The PC will always have the bandwidth advantage which is what drives how a game will ultimately look like and perform.
Strong disagree

Top Bottom