• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone 2 Shot Down By Jim Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airbus Jr

Banned
If you think Days Gone 2 for PS5 is in development, think again. While 2019’s open-world action zombie fest Days Gone was far from a critical darling, it enjoys a surprisingly large following of fans to this day. This is in part due to a slew of post-launch updates from developer Sony Bend as well as entertaining gameplay mechanics. It also ended up being a profitable game for Sony too. However publisher refused to greenlight a sequel according to a report from Bloomberg’s Jason Schreierwhose track record is second to none.

In a report dealing with the state of Sony’s game studios and how it prioritises mega-hits over creative diversity, it seems that Sony was unwilling to allow Days Gone 2 to enter development.

“This fixation on teams that churn out hits is creating unrest across Sony's portfolio of game studios,” reads Schreier’s report. “Oregon-based Sony Bend, best known for the 2019 open-world action game Days Gone, tried unsuccessfully to pitch a sequel that year, according to people familiar with the proposal. Although the first game had been profitable, its development had been lengthy and critical reception was mixed, so a Days Gone 2 wasn’t seen as a viable option.”

However this hasn’t stopped Sony from bringing the first game to PC.

Days Gone wouldn't be the first PlayStation game to make its way on to PC in recent times. Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding were both released on PC in 2020, and Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan has mentioned in a recent interview with GQ that the company is considering more first-party games on to PC.

"There’s an opportunity to expose those great games to a wider audience and recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward," said Ryan. "The cost of making games goes up with each cycle, as the calibre of the IP has improved. Also, our ease of making it available to non-console owners has grown. So it’s a fairly straightforward decision for us to make."

Thanks to Ryan's statements, it can be safe to assume that we'll be seeing more PS4 first-party games make their way on to PC, presumably in an attempt to get gamers excited about sequels to those games that would be making their way on to the PS5.

That said, we can’t help but wonder what could have been if Days Gone 2 for the PS5 would actually see the light of day. While the first game was a tad rough at launch, a polished sequel would have been worth trying out all the same.

MiguelItUp

I swear we gonna need a megathread for jim "bad news" ryan
Yeah, honestly the Jim Ryan threads were catching up with Game Pass threads pretty quickly, lmao.

I still haven't played Days Gone, but plan on doing so in due time. Maybe I'll grab it on PC...

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

Tmack

DG without those tombstone rememberance missions would be perfect.... as it is it`s a freaking good game... how come there`s no sequel? wth sony

rofif

Banned
The first game was fun to play but it was kinda terrible and the real ending was complete bullshit... I say better focus on other projects.
But still. It was ok and I will take aa and aaa single player games any day now

Last edited:

yurinka

Yeah, honestly the Jim Ryan threads were catching up with Game Pass threads pretty quickly, lmao.

I still haven't played Days Gone, but plan on doing so in due time. Maybe I'll grab it on PC...
Maybe all Jim Ryan and Gamepass threads can be merged into a Xbox OT thread.

I thought the game director literally just said it hadn't been cancelled...?
As I remember he said that due to NDA couldn't talk about the specifics of the game or its state, and that even if Jason's article is mostly legit he left for personal reasons and not due to the state of a single project (DG2 being canned according to the article) and that wasn't true what the article says about them being worried about possibly ending as a ND support studio because even if they have a long history of working with them (hinted that the Uncharted and multiplayer projects are real) it always has been a friendly relationship of studios helping each other and that he never doubted Bend will continue focusing on their own games.

He also hinted that DG2 may have been stopped that it may go back to production later. So maybe stopped DG2 to help ND with these couple of projects to make time while they also waited for the UE5 engine release and grow a bit more two have two game development tracks in the studio (one working in a new IP, the other one in DG2) and maybe priorized the new IP over DG2 because Sony is already working on a ton of sequels so maybe they needed a new IP instead of focusing too much on sequels.

Last edited:

Gp1

Days Gone 2 Gone

I believe that it is only a matter of time before they greenlit the project again. They are probably just reinforcing the development of the TLOU "remake" to make sure that the game will launch with the HBO series. We saw what a blockbuster TV series can do to game sales with The Witcher. Sony wouldn't let this train pass.

HotPocket69

Banned
I swear we gonna need a megathread for jim "bad news" ryan

I’m dumbfounded by the fact people here can’t just add to the thread or two that already exist on the topic (that are still on the first few pages no less) and feel the need to add yet another that adds nothing and clogs up the front page.

This shit needs to get cleaned up. It happened with the stupid GamePass threads and this is another example.

I guess this is what happens when there’s no new games to talk about? Everyone just talks in circles and yaps about the same shit over and over like a bunch of retarded hens.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
So he says scrapped 2019 but guy that actually worked at the studio says it was still going when he left in 2020?

sainraja

I’m dumbfounded by the fact people here can’t just add to the thread or two that already exist on the topic (that are still on the first few pages no less) and feel the need to add yet another that adds nothing and clogs up the front page.

This shit needs to get cleaned up. It happened with the stupid GamePass threads and this is another example.

I guess this is what happens when there’s no new games to talk about? Everyone just talks in circles and yaps about the same shit over and over like a bunch of retarded hens.
This.

jaysius

Banned
Another OSJ(Obsessive Sony Jingo) freakout thread. This is going to be entertaining.
excited feelings GIF by WE tv

You know how a mega corporation should run based on your own obsessive gaming preferences and have 0 business experience?

Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Fbh

Shame.

Though as long as they are allowed to work on a new IP and aren't forced to make sequels of established IP I'll still look forwards to what they do next

Derktron

Banned
You motherfuckers are obsessed with Jimbo. Print this out to put on the wall above your bed.

bcRxTjH.jpg
Just like everyone was with Phil Spencer, people hate changes and that is what is wrong with the gaming community. People refuse changes. It scares them. That is what I'm seeing. The funny thing is I'm studying why people have obsessions with companies and how it affects them. Seems like ResetEra and on here would provide me with the data I need because dammit people are obsessed with this. I understand that Sony has flaws. But some things that they are doing some them are good. Some are not.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Yeah this is more annoying than the weekly GP threads, I think there are 5 threads at the front page now with concerns or meltdowns about Sony’s issues.
Maybe a meltdown OT would be good? A thread where you’re free to rant about any issue you have with any part of the industry.

Zeroing

Banned
we have a new leadership on Sony, a new leadership at PlayStation add the fact that Sony doesn’t seem to inject that much money on PlayStation - ( although the division carried the company during their bad times ) also add that some gamers mentality is that a game is only good unless it has a 10 review score .

All that to the mix, PS is in a weird state right now!

Just like everyone was with Phil Spencer, people hate changes and that is what is wrong with the gaming community. People refuse changes. It scares them. That is what I'm seeing. The funny thing is I'm studying why people have obsessions with companies and how it affects them. Seems like ResetEra and on here would provide me with the data I need because dammit people are obsessed with this. I understand that Sony has flaws. But some things that they are doing some them are good. Some are not.

Who hated Phil Spencer? It was always clear he had a strong vision which benefitted gamers from the start.

Gamers love to mistake gaming companies as their friends and know jack shit about ROI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom