• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe has hurt Phillip Spencers feelings

Who is in the wrong?

• David Jaffe

Votes: 87 22.7%
  • Phil Spencer

Votes: 296 77.3%

• Total voters

Yoboman

Do I get to vote too?!?!? :)
CAREFUL, I'm not afraid to use this button

NM9WRzO.jpg

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This is such a bad look for Phil Spencer. The guy must be under an insane amount of pressure right now considering the Series X launch. Game droughts to start a new generation can't be making his bosses happy.
I can see him moving to a different role after the current spree of acquisition deals is finalized. He definitely doesn’t know how to assemble studios; just look at 343i.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I can see him moving to a different role after the current spree of acquisition deals is finalized. He definitely doesn’t know how to assemble studios; just look at 343i.

Turn 10 and Playground seemed to develop well under him. 343i does seem to be a massive blunder though.

Xenon

Dave really can be an asshole, but he has some major points. They did the same thing last generation. Sure having Kinect was dumb, but the only thing more stupid is not having a game to sell Kinect when its adding $100 more to your console cost.

They designed the series X years ago. How fucking hard is it to say hey, we need games to really show off what this thing can do when it releases. It's great they want to give Studios freedom to be creative. But they need that role player who can make a good game that looks great and deliver it when it's needed.

That's said I don't think missing the launch is a deal-breaker. Right now there's enough momentum to carry these consoles through the holiday regardless of what's on them. But they sure need something leading into next summer and the holidays.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Dave really can be an asshole, but he has some major points. They did the same thing last generation. Sure having Kinect was dumb, but the only thing more stupid is not having a game to sell Kinect when its adding $100 more to your console cost.

They designed the series X years ago. How fucking hard is it to say hey, we need games to really show off what this thing can do when it releases. It's great they want to give Studios freedom to be creative. But they need that role player who can make a good game that looks great and deliver it when it's needed.

That's said I don't think missing the launch is a deal-breaker. Right now there's enough momentum to carry these consoles through the holiday regardless of what's on them. But they sure need something leading into next summer and the holidays.
Did they need first party launch games to show off the console? It sold out within hours. You can't walk in to a shop and buy the console, and you won't be able to until some time early next year. That to me says they didn't need to, at all.

godhandiscen

Turn 10 and Playground seemed to develop well under him. 343i does seem to be a massive blunder though.
Turn 10 was stablished in 2001. Playground games is an offshoot of Turn 10. The culture of those studios was there way before Phill Spencer.

Also, I watched the first video linked in the OP regarding the Xbox not having new software for launch. I firmly believe that Microsoft has a culture that is at odds with the identity and expectations we have for console makers. Someone who’s been successful inside Microsoft is probably convinced that launching without new games is not a big deal as long as the service, Gamepass, continues being excellent.

Sony probably sees the PS5 as new hardware to empower designers in the never ending quest for AAA profits. Meanwhile, Microsoft sees the Xbox as just another channel for delivering Gamepass, the service that will ultimately allow them to capture the attention of billions of people, 10+ hours a day. Even in their PR, they show themselves more bullish about the XSS. If Microsoft didn’t need to sell you a new piece of hardware to keep Gamepass subscriptions going, they probably would just cancel the Xbox.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

No they're not lol. They were an independent studio formed by people that had nothing to do with Turn 10.
You are right, they just collaborated with Turn 10 initially. It is still not a studio that Microsoft assembled under the tenure of Phill Spencer.

Atrus

Gold Member
Well Jaffe is right. If you're in charge of a bajillion dollar company and just flubbed the launch game of what is ostensibly your most famous franchise, then you might want to spend some of that acquisition money acquiring project managers and other insiders at Sony to see where you can improve.

How do the Sony teams interact with each other and share information or technology?
How do they approach project management?

Nobody loses if Microsoft is able to regularly fill their release schedule with quality first party titles like Sony does. It helps Gamepass and helps gaming in general.

Top Bottom