• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe drops inside info (but not much) on Sony San Diego Studio

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
tumblr_o6a2mnEXjq1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Banned
"the next chapter in cinematic storytelling"

literally shivers down my spine reading these words...

how are shitty games like that so popular (never mind, the main stream loves braindead games like that)

The most interesting part of this interview was that Mumbauer wants to create a company that produces TV series of video game IP’s using in-engine assets, and putting them on services like Netflix.

I think that would be amazing, because games would no longer need to be bogged down with excessive cutscenes anymore: they can focus more on mechanics, gameplay, interactivity, etc.

The people who love their story/cinematics could just watch the TV series.

Everybody wins.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Uncharted but they are looking for an ancient power that changes ones Chromosomes and genders upon personal introspection. Uncharted: Gender Constructs.

ElCasual

Or you know...maybe you can stop buying them?

It may be shocking to you but there are people who love the series and want more of it.
Why the same formula in the same IP?
Better a old fashion formula in a new IP or a old fashion formula on a old IP.

sublimit

Banned
Why the same formula in the same IP?
Better a old fashion formula in a new IP or a old fashion formula on a old IP.
Because we like the light-hearted and cheesy tone of the games and we love the globetrotting exploration. There's really nothing else like Uncharted out there.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Uncharted without Nate isn’t Uncharted. This is the dumb ass hill I will die on, god damn it.

Passing the reins to his daughter makes sense and UC4 sort of sets that up. It would also be fitting considering Uncharted riffed off of Tomb Raider (which later riffed off of Uncharted...Inception!). If you were going to insert a new developer that was going to inject new ideas, this would be as good of place as any to do so.

We just know it's a third person cinematic action adventure game that's based on a beloved well known Playstation IP and is "the next chapter in cinematic storytelling"

Sony doing this COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED INDUSTRY SHATTERING MOVE WHICH THEY'VE NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF BEFORE!

You sure about that, Jaffe?

TUT7Qg4.gif

YukiOnna

Uncharted without Nate isn’t Uncharted. This is the dumb ass hill I will die on, god damn it.
Agreed. I need Nate in there. He's a core part of what makes Uncharted special.

I'll never get tired of the formula as there isn't really another game in the same quality and atmosphere as Uncharted for me, so I'm always down for more.

Josemayuste

As much as I like the Uncharted saga, I think it's better to let it rest for a while and bring back Syphon Filter or another new IP instead, honestly.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Sony doing this COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED INDUSTRY SHATTERING MOVE WHICH THEY'VE NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF BEFORE!

You sure about that, Jaffe?

TUT7Qg4.gif

Y'all can focus on the Uncharted part of the 2 hour interview all you want. What I personally thought was more interesting is the fact that Zennimax (aka Xbox) is actively hiring people AWAY from Sony San Diego to build their own AAA team right down the road. It's not just the 2 or so people reported who have left; it's key members of this team that Mike had built.

EDMIX

Can't wait to see what they scrap next.

lol Well you can't blame them. That is how they keep quality control. They won't put out shit titles just for the sake of it. ie why they didn't go forward with Jak 4. As hype as I am for the series to make a return, I 100% support the freedom given to those developers to decided if its doable.

So I'm fine if they scrap some title if its really not working out. With a new IP, you only have 1 first impression. I don't know if I could say the same with a reboot though as.....it is a reboot, they could just reboot the reboot lol

V VolticArchangel Well...something being 3rd person is just too vague. I don't even know how you'd tell if its something we've seen before or not that is Earth shattering as, think of it like this.

Someone one is making a tv show and its about humans on Earth......... it would be like thinking YOU KNOW what its going to be despite how limited that description actually is. Sony has a lot of 3rd person titles from PS1 and PS2 era and didn't even really get into having a lot of FPS until PS3 ie Killzone 2, MAG, Resistance etc, so its obviously that any older IP is MORE likely to be that of a title in 3rd person, The Getaway, Jak and Daxter, Syphon Filter, Sly etc So I don't know how anyone could know or even question what the next title would be based on such bare descriptions

Last edited:
Y'all can focus on the Uncharted part of the 2 hour interview all you want. What I personally thought was more interesting is the fact that Zennimax (aka Xbox) is actively hiring people AWAY from Sony San Diego to build their own AAA team right down the road. It's not just the 2 or so people reported who have left; it's key members of this team that Mike had built.

Oh shit. Sempai is here. Never knew you were active. Was just pulling your leg.

This sounds like "The Initiative" hiring spree sometime ago. Can you, without damaging your friendships with your former colleagues and your secret informal embargo of course, reveal anything related to microsoft (or Zenimax) hiring from big 3rd party studios for this whatever new studio/project they're building?

I'm talking figureheads like Darrell Gallagher of Crystal Dynamics, heading The Initiative now, for example.

yurinka

I'd love to see them working on Uncharted 5 with Nate as main character. Probably where Nate tells the girl his first adventures with Sully (and you play them, so half a game would be a U1 prequel) and then you play the first big adventures of the girl (with Sully as support character too), so it could be a U4 direct prequel or sequel.

If they tried to make an Uncharted tv show and an Uncharted remake I assume they will have a lot of Uncharted related assets and other stuff to rehash for a new Uncharted game, and very likely a next gen? Uncharted engine running there.

Considering this, and that they are working on "a third person cinematic action adventure game that's based on a beloved well known Playstation IP" which is "the next chapter in cinematic storytelling" and "this team was assembled to expand upon existing franchises and craft all new stories for the next generation of gamers" sounds that the most reasonable option is to have them working on the next Uncharted game now that ND didn't want to continue Nate's arc.

Uncharted Lost Legacy didn't work as well as the other ones (it was going to be a DLC), so I assume they will go back to a numbered main Uncharted game with Nate as the main character.

Some time ago ND didn't want to continue Nate's arc, which doesn't mean they can't release a prequel or a new chapter in the middle of the current ones, or that may release a new chapter with Nate but more focused on the other characters. Or well, that Sony can continue Nathan's story with a direct sequel without ND leading the game and only overviewing+mentoring+supporting other studio.

How about a fps for a change :(
The fps market is already saturated with many other big FPS titles being released by 3rd parties, and many of them have/had marketing deals with Sony. Sony already failed with exclusive FPS games many times developed both internally or externally, with Killzone 2 and maybe 3 as the great exceptions.

So if Sony wants to make a new FPS, I'd keep Guerilla to try to make a great Killzone again.

Regarding this new studio, at least for their first games I'd give them a safer bet for them making the type of game where Sony excels: the narrative driven, more or less linear single player cinematic 3rd person action adventures. A lot of top tier talent from many Sony studios could help mentoring and teaching them, and helping where needed.

Sony already secured this type of 3rd person games, but to have another great studio working on them would give them an extra lead compared to MS and the other publishers and would help Sony to make sure they have someone to work in these great IPs (Uncharted, TLOU, GoW, Spider-Man, Horizon, The Order, Days Gone, Syphon Filter, Tsushima, Ratchet...) in case their main studios don't want or can't to continue with them at least developing the whole game/taking the lead studio role.

Nice to see you here, man. For what you say and what the OP mentioned the interview seems very interesting, going to watch it now. I don't have any idea of the whole picture, but I assume that if the tv show and the remakes didn't work, maybe it was a good idea both for them and for the studio to change some of the key members to see if they had more luck with their next adventure.

As mentoned, I still have to watch the interview but I assume the OP focused on the Uncharted part because it was their rumored project and because it's one of the most popular Sony IPs, with apparently their creators not interested on making a new game for it in at least medium term so seems logical that Sony would ask someone else to work on it.

Edit: Just saw it. Big props dude, it's a fucking awesome interview with a lot of interesting stuff coming from both him and you. I didn't know about his previous works and this guy and his team are monsters, they did an awesome job in tons of games, which had great cinematics and so on.

His idea of creating these tv shows using the game assets to build a bridge between a game and its sequel keeping the interest and expanding the lore and userbase sounds really awesome and I'd love to see it. I think it would be great for Uncharted, TLOU, GoW and many other AAA Sony and non-Sony IPs. The weak point I see there is that knowing how hard is to handle game production (delays, games canned, etc) and so on it would be harder to on top of that to make sure you have ready that season for just after the game, the game to release it just after the tv season and so on.

There has been a ton of very interesting topics, like when trying to find the link between the people leaving from the different studios, Yoshida's change and Sony's small, more creative games. I think maybe there isn't a let's say formal, direct relationship like a new evil boss taking over Sony, shutting down the small, more creative games and demanding direct sequels of big sellers AAA only with minimal changes but I understand that maybe there's indirectly a link.

In the past it was need for Sony to fill that market of smaller and more creative games, but maybe now it isn't needed because the amount of quality indies became bigger and bigger, so Sony can delegate these kind of games to the indies, and who better than Yoshida to support the ones who need it. In Sony side, as AAA become bigger and bigger so I think it's understandable that they want to take less risks on maybe to rely more into successful IPs than in new ones and to don't innovate that much reinventing the wheel while still keeping somewhat creative, so in the future we'd see less new IPs like Death Stranding/Dreams/Puppeteer/LocoRoco stuff.

Maybe they are now slowly shifting more in that direction, and people who prefered the more creative strategy now they found it's better for them to leave (plus some guy maybe just got a better offer somewhere or left due to personal reasons like wanting to leave games at least for a while to spend more time with his family).

Last edited:

EDMIX

How about a fps for a change :(

Maybe. If the studio isn't that good at that, I think its best to let them decide what they do. For all we know Sony has the other half of Guerilla Games working on one. I'd rather have a studio that does that well do it.

Bryank75

Banned
Hey Jaffe!

I would say, let them leave and work on the uninspired bunk they are making over at Xbox studios.....

Sony can hire and train in new people or hire people from other studios and they know what standards they have to hit already, the standards, processes etc are all set.
People that left Sony WWS / PS Studios never reached the same heights afterwards

Last edited:

kyussman

Playstation has been my only platform for the last two gens and I have enjoyed their exclusives a lot.....but it would be nice if they branched out with their big games and did something that wasn't 3rd person cinematic adventure.I'm playing The Outer Worlds right now(on PS4),and loving it,but the fact Obsidian are making games like this(along with the Bethesda aquisition)means I'll probably be picking up an Xbox this gen for some variety(I'll still be getting a PS5 first).

bxrz

3rd person action-adventure? Wow, Sony is really bringing something new to the table. I love their versatility when making AAA games!

FranXico

To that point, do you personally see Microsoft actually ever genuinely fostering creativity the way Sony once did?

Chukhopops

I'd love to see them working on Uncharted 5 with Nate as main character. Probably where Nate tells the girl his first adventures with Sully (and you play them, so half a game would be a U1 prequel) and then you play the first big adventures of the girl (with Sully as support character too), so it could be a U4 direct prequel or sequel.

Considering this, and that they are working on "a third person cinematic action adventure game that's based on a beloved well known Playstation IP" which is "the next chapter in cinematic storytelling" and "this team was assembled to expand upon existing franchises and craft all new stories for the next generation of gamers" sounds that the most reasonable option is to have them working on the next Uncharted game now that ND didn't want to continue Nate's arc.
I mean, Uncharted 4 pretty much paved the way for Nate to be replaced. I think the best you'll get is all the marketing materials and trailers will focus on Nathan Drake, but then he dies in the first quarter of the game and you get subverted right in the expectations.

yurinka

I mean, Uncharted 4 pretty much paved the way for Nate to be replaced. I think the best you'll get is all the marketing materials and trailers will focus on Nathan Drake, but then he dies in the first quarter of the game and you get subverted right in the expectations.
Or to focus Uncharted 5 into Nate's transition to became a black trans lesbian.

Let's Sony and ND learnt with all the TLOU2 controversy and hate that it was a dumb idea to kill a beloved main character to 'subvert expectations'.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Or to focus Uncharted 5 into Nate's transition to became a black trans lesbian.

Let's Sony and ND learnt with all the TLOU2 controversy and hate that it was a dumb idea to kill a beloved main character to 'subvert expectations'.
what would sony have to learn? tlou2 was a huge success no matter how you try spinning it. if anything, expect more sony developers to take risks like tlou2's narrative did.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

Playstation has been my only platform for the last two gens and I have enjoyed their exclusives a lot.....but it would be nice if they branched out with their big games and did something that wasn't 3rd person cinematic adventure.I'm playing The Outer Worlds right now(on PS4),and loving it,but the fact Obsidian are making games like this(along with the Bethesda aquisition)means I'll probably be picking up an Xbox this gen for some variety(I'll still be getting a PS5 first).

Yeah, you're right, Microsoft definitively seems to, hopefully deliver a wide range of variety, at least according to previous studios work.

They need to, Gamepass is where MS' bet is atm. and I think we might end up seeing similarities between the 360 MS era when it comes to new IP's and variety, yeah.

Watching the video, it just plays into my internal narrative that Sony wants to be--or now is--the Hollywood of video games, which leaves me much less interested in them both as a content creator and a platform holder.

In general, I wish I was more keen on what Microsoft seems to be doing and had faith they'd legitimately be able to maintain parity in support from Japanese developers.

I find it funny how David Jaffe claims to not like "Naughty Dog" type games (i.e., linear, big set piece moments, cinematic)....when I'd argue that his game, the original God of War, basically is what got Sony into those types of experiences to begin with.

I'm a much bigger fan of those AAA games and was happy that Sony is doubling down on them. No offense Jaffe, but I just don't like Drawn to Death type multiplayer experiences. Outside of a few that really set the world on fire like Rocket league or something, they are a tough area to hit it big on.

Larlight

This is the secret San Diego studio right? If they are making Uncharted, then I'm fine with it. There really isn't a summer blockbuster type of game nowadays that has Action and adventure in the way Uncharted did. There needs to be someone to fill that role and if it's an Uncharted spin off so be it.

Top Bottom