• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe claims he rejected $100m Tencent deal ‘because I want nothing to do with them’

Arcadialane

A little misleading, his messages clearly shows he's doing something else profitable that he's working on as the main reason for turning the offer down

It's like boycotting a product you weren't going to use anyway, easy way to project a little virtue

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

I really don't understand why people are so worked up over this.
Who gives a shit?
If Jaffe did or didn't. Who gives a shit?
If Jaffe fabricated the "evidence" (I don't believe this - why would he? for internet cred? pfft - that's not his style). Who gives a shit?

What I do question in this thread is the motivation of people attacking him over this big nothing burger.
It's so fucking weird.

Topher

Gold Member
I had a 100 million dollar deal.

I was offered a job to work on a project that has a 100 million dollar budget.

Yeah....

Jimmy Fallon No Difference GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

jigglet

Banned
Learn what racism is...it isn't this.

I love it when people call criticisms against China racist. It actually proves THEY are the racist ones, cause it assumes all Asian people support China. It's like being critical against Russia is hating against whites, what sort of stupid ass logic is that. Most non-Chinese Asians don't want to be associated with them at all.

As someone of Chinese descent I cannot stand it when people white knight for me. Like they think they are doing me a favor by sticking up for China. I'm Asian so that makes me Chinese does it? I'm Asian so therefore I must support China?

Take your white knighting virtue signalling and fuck off.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The comment was in jest, but for such an open minded person allegedly, it’s odd how he can cast out an entire company while looking a blind eye to others

I just find the notion that “Chinese company = bad” to be dogmatic and lacking in nuance
The Great Famine 2.0

Fuck China (CCP):

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

We should close the thread I guess.
After all the OP is just a lie.

Basically he turned down the offer because he thought "$100m budget for AAA was not high enough" and he was doing something more profitable right now... of course he didn't discover how much of these $100m was for his own salary.

The OP/article make it looks like a political weirdness but his reasons were not related to that... so I guess it is fine... sorry for my bad reaching previously here.

Last edited:
He turned them down without even knowing any of the conditions

He is fully within his rights to turn them down, I never argued otherwise. He’s also within his right to look like a virtue signaling hypocrite
How do you know he didn't know the conditions? His "right" was the wrong term I admit but It's perfectly reasonable not to want to do business with a company that has legal ties to the censorship of his art based on what the government does or doesn't like. Which btw, is the exact opposite of the way things are handled in America.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

This is when you take the Chinese money and then make a game that is anti china as possible. Call it "Panda Propaganda".

Ogbert

Take the 100 million, pay yourself the minimum to get the job done, and then plough every cent into highlighting the gross injustices and crimes being committed by the Chinese government. That would have been... more constructive.
Would have been a pretty shit game though.

Kdad

I'm not American but seriously how some of you can say US are like China or Russia Jeesh; they are not saints but not remotely bad as those countries. It's a democracy for fuck sake.
You know someone is going to correct you on that democracy thing right?

K2D

Banned
Wow.. How brave of people in this thread to stand up for China and and defend their atrocities in the name of 'US did it too'..

You really deserve the CCP credit points this will earn you.

Throwing in Russia - war mongering in and sabotaging Europe? Free game - pwn euro-cucks for the lolz.

Drawing the racism card on behalf of chinese? Funniest clown shit on the whole of gaf for quite some time, seeing as chinese are as xenophobic as they get.

Karak

As we have discussed on the podcast many times, and I brought up when it happened, my brush with the Big T and if that much money was being bandied around for what I was offered, then a game maker getting 100 million offer DOES NOT sound fake.

Wow.. How brave of people in this thread to stand up for China and and defend their atrocities in the name of 'US did it too'..

You really deserve the CCP credit points this will earn you.

Throwing in Russia - war mongering in and sabotaging Europe? Free game - pwn euro-cucks for the lolz.

Drawing the racism card on behalf of chinese? Funniest clown shit on the whole of gaf for quite some time, seeing as chinese are as xenophobic as they get.
Yeah they must really live the good life (that they don't even know) to consider US even in the same realm as china. Need to go visit some other countries.

I've traveled through Europe (which is more racist than U.S. btw, look at Sweden), Asia and am part of an immigrant family. Nothing compares to the U.S., after my 1-2 weeks of "fun" I was always longing to come home.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I understand... American companies never did anything like lol
But of course Evil China strikes again.

Bro most of the evil that American companies currently engage in directly intersects with and is due to their relationship with China.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Really? Maybe learn your history?
What are the Russians upto that the USA hasn't already done many times?
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I know that Americans do not like other people pointing something bad of their country... but History is a really big obvious indicative that USA, China and Russia have more things in common that people do want to realise/acknowledge.

So, you’re claiming that America has summarily executed hundreds, if not thousands of innocent people in a war zone. They have repeatedly raped and burned women and children. They have deliberately targeted hospitals and other civilian locations. They’ve buried victims in mass graves. They have repeatedly hidden evidence of war crimes committed on hundreds of people. You’re saying the US has actively engaged in deliberate genocide.

Wow. You’d best have evidence of these claims, otherwise you’d be massive, dumb cunts. But I’m sure you’re not and are about to post evidence to back up your claims that America is as bad as Russia……

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So, you’re claiming that America has executed hundreds, if not thousands of innocent, bound people. They have repeatedly raped and burned women and children. They have deliberately targeted hospitals and other civilian locations. They’ve have buried victims in mass graves. They have repeatedly hidden evidence of war crimes committed on hundreds.

Wow. You’d best have evidence of these claims, otherwise you’d be a massive, dumb cunt.
Not wanting to enter the discussion.

But what the difference between Russia x Croatian and USA x Vietnam (or any other war USA created for no reason)?

Last edited:

ByWatterson

So, you’re claiming that America has executed hundreds, if not thousands of innocent, bound people. They have repeatedly raped and burned women and children. They have deliberately targeted hospitals and other civilian locations. They’ve have buried victims in mass graves. They have repeatedly hidden evidence of war crimes committed on hundreds.

Wow. You’d best have evidence of these claims, otherwise you’d be a massive, dumb cunt.

This.

Worth pointing out that America has a great deal of evil under its fingernails.

However, we label it, condemn it, and try to better ourselves. No country in history is reliably more self-correcting than the United States. No respectable Americans today will excuse Wounded Knee, Sand Creek, My Lai, or slavery.

But the MAINSTREAM view in Russia today is that Ukrainians are Nazi animals, worthy of execution.

Gimme a break with this nonsense.

K2D

Banned
Yeah they must really live the good life (that they don't even know) to consider US even in the same realm as china. Need to go visit some other countries.

I've traveled through Europe (which is more racist than U.S. btw, look at Sweden), Asia and am part of an immigrant family. Nothing compares to the U.S., after my 1-2 weeks of "fun" I was always longing to come home.
Just curious.. where did you encounter racism in Europe/Sweden(?) worse than what you see in "detroit"-black or "south"-white America? I see the usual racism(we hate our nabour), I also see the sporting "rasism" (england/French, Scandinavian x Scandinavian) and the general rasism towards illegal immigrants, but beyond that? Neo-fascism in parts of central/Eastern Europe?

Top Bottom