• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe claims he rejected $100m Tencent deal ‘because I want nothing to do with them’

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's not what I said. I said if he wanted "maximum reach". Also, have some context and know the audience. Who is he virtue signaling to exactly on Sacred Symbols? That community hates virtue signaling and all things woke.

We don't lie / virtue signal based on whether or not we're achieving maximum reach.

All people virtue signal. It isn't exclusive to any one group. Colin and a percentage of his audience aren't fond of the CCP. Jaffe dislikes the CCP so much he turned down 100 million dollars? That makes him pretty special to Colin and a percentage of his audience, don't you think?

If you call yourself woke, you kind of have to be treated as such. IMO, the woke have a higher propensity to lie, virtue signal, and shame skeptics than does the general population. He may have lied, but he definitely virtue signaled and he definitely attempted to shame his skeptics. Red flags.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
davidjaffe davidjaffe
Animated GIF

Last edited:

AmuroChan

We don't lie / virtue signal based on whether or not we're achieving maximum reach.

All people virtue signal. It isn't exclusive to any one group. Colin and a percentage of his audience aren't fond of the CCP. Jaffe dislikes the CCP so much he turned down 100 million dollars? That makes him pretty special to Colin and a percentage of his audience, don't you think?

If you call yourself woke, you kind of have to be treated as such. IMO, the woke have a higher propensity to lie, virtue signal, and shame skeptics than does the general population. I could be wrong, but we don't have to choose between "I believe him fully" or "He's definitely lying" either. A certain amount of skepticism is healthy.

I disagree with your general sentiment on that, but that's fine. Skepticism is perfectly ok, but I personally believe David on this. Also, the $100m is not for him to pocket it all. The $100m is the budget that Tencent is giving him to build a team and make a game for them.

Also, I'm in the private LSM discord. No one is making a big deal over this. Most comments are basically just "great episode". The conversations have largely moved on to other topics.

I mean, good for him, I guess? Having a moral stance is really decent, especially in this money driven world; Sharing said positions with the internet does nothing except for stroking one's ego...

solidus12

Next time, we’ll hear him say that he refused an offer from Phil Spencer or Matt Booty now that Xbox is the market leader (well, according to colteastwood anyway).

ManaByte

Gold Member
The comment was in jest, but for such an open minded person allegedly, it’s odd how he can cast out an entire company while looking a blind eye to others

I just find the notion that “Chinese company = bad” to be dogmatic and lacking in nuance

Any major Chinese company, and ESPECIALLY Tencent, is controlled by the CCP.

Or are you trying to carry water for the CCP here?

Last edited:

sn0man

Whatever helps you sleep at night my man. On that note, I'm going to go watch Team America World Police 😘
You’re going to watch a Hollywood movie critical of the government that Hollywood resides in.

Sounds good. I think it’s a good balance. (USA ain’t perfect. Nobody out here claiming that. Critique on for sure.)

DukeNukem00

Banned
I don't doubt him at all. But at the same time, that is some lame-ass "proof."

That's no proof of any kind and he is 100% lying. Think about it, big celebrities are banned from China for the slightest of reasons. Brad Pitt was banned from China when he did 7 Years in Tibet. That is, Brad Pitt. Do you think some dude who did a 5 hour long DMC clone in 2005 with qte's will have something to do with China after the remarks posted in the OP ?

Do you think someone would refuse an actual offer for a big game in order to score internet brownie points for having "morals" ? He's inventing this and giving himself some needed pr boost

The comment was in jest, but for such an open minded person allegedly, it’s odd how he can cast out an entire company while looking a blind eye to others

I just find the notion that “Chinese company = bad” to be dogmatic and lacking in nuance
Everything has to be approved by the CCP if you want to do business with China. If David signed this "deal," he would be subject to any censorship they deemed to be necessary. Maybe he just doesn't want that baggage, or maybe he clearly explained why he likes doing what he's doing now.

Where did he say that "china = bad" in his post or are you just pulling shit out of your ass? Even if this was the case he has every right not to do business with them if they don't align with his values.

Last edited:

No, but let’s be real, China is enormous and almost all the shit we buy depends significantly on them

I’m not condoning some of their actions or policies, but it isn’t like other government’s shit don’t stink either

If tencent wants to fund a cool game, what’s the problem exactly? Let’s just ignore the fact that every major piece of hardware is basically built on slave labor

Everything has to be approved by the CCP if you want to do business with China. If David signed this "deal," he would be subject to any censorship they deemed to be necessary. Maybe he just doesn't want that baggage, or maybe he clearly explained why he likes doing what he's doing now.

Where did he say that "china = bad" in his post or are you just pulling shit out of your ass? Even if this was the case he has every right not to do business with them if they don't align with his values.

He turned them down without even knowing any of the conditions

He is fully within his rights to turn them down, I never argued otherwise. He’s also within his right to look like a virtue signaling hypocrite

Ozzie666

I'm not sure if there is some plan behind it all. But Video games is a fairly strong medium to want to control, control the message, censor the content. It could be weaponized into a fierce propaganda machine. I don't want gaming turned into basically UBISOFT games, but safer. I wish more people would fine someone else to pay up. I know this sounds dramatic and very long term, but it's possible. What I find funny overall is China for the most part, doesn't want young people to play games, it makes them weak? unless that is exactly the point. Just leave our games a lone, we already deal with enough censorship and social media pressures.

nush

Gold Member
No, but let’s be real, China is enormous and almost all the shit we buy depends significantly on them

I’m not condoning some of their actions or policies, but it isn’t like other government’s shit don’t stink either

If tencent wants to fund a cool game, what’s the problem exactly? Let’s just ignore the fact that every major piece of hardware is basically built on slave labor

Ignore the argument, for a whataboutism defense. ManaByte ManaByte is correct, you don't get to be a huge company in China without having CCP control, once a company gets large enough in China which Tencent have a long long time ago since the QQ days you either sign up to kiss the CCP ring or they will either close your company or take it over. Do "Other governments" do the same?

Portugeezer

I assume he means 100 million budget for a game? Either way his email doesn't prove the $100 million part, which is the biggest part of his claim, not the fact that they would contact him.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
No surprise he BS'ed for attention.

But it does sound better to say a company offered you a deal at $xxxx.
That's the way I understood it from the very beginning.

I mean, come on, nobody is going to pay someone like Jaffe 100m bucks personally to direct a game. That's absurd.
It was clear the project had a 100m budget, not Jaffe as a person.
You'd have to be fairly clueless to believe that. Most people are fairly clueless, though, so I get why this "misunderstanding" happened...

Either way, I think Jaffe is an attention craver and most of his takes (this one included) are based on little knowledge twisted to fit a certain view and a lot of (media fuelled) assumption.
He's also usually wrong.
But he is certainly not a liar.

Last edited:

I dunno this is looking a whole lot like a THQ/CDPR/Harry Potter situation from our friends over at Resetera. Boycotting companies (and in turn, developers) who have little to do with the politics at the government level and social ills in their country, I swear some people here are just social justice warriors of a different shade. Yeah being a big media conglomerate you either get cozy with your home country's government or you're gonna be subject to extra scrutiny, news at 11. Tell me again how Acti Blizzard (soon to be Acti Blizzard Bethesda Microsoft) is connected to color revolutions and foreign regime changes engineered by the CIA?

Taken with a grain of salt. Even Tencent know the only worthwhile game he ever worked on was Twister Metal and that's decent at best.

rofif

Banned
Respect.
China is awful.
And remember people - Epic and Remedy are both tencent invested!

Last edited:

jonnyp

His receipt is a screenshot of some text he wrote?

Anyway, saw a tweet underneath his that Amy Hennig has a new studio and that they are making a new Star Wars game! Now that has me intrigued. Hopefully a lot better than the disappointment that was Fallen Order.

People make shit up all the time.
They do but to commit to it this hard - not necessary - literally hoaxing an email? Just not necessary to do unless you’re pathological - he clarified it was a 100 million dollar game - which is what I assumed - and from the email seems like they just reached out to see if he was interested - but it doesn’t seem like a “oh just make this shit up for no reason” situation

If I was a cynist, I'd say his reaction is cheap fishing for compliments at this point because western governments are already putting real pressure on companies doing business in Russia and China as we speak. However, I don't think that's the case here. Jaffe had my respect before, now he's definitely increased it much further. Man has integrity, which is the single most valueable character trait for me.

Amiga

In the email he also said he may re-consider after he is done with what he is trying to do with building his channel. recommended others for the job. so not exactly a China boycott like he makes it seem to be.

What is Tencent doing offering 100m to a guy that doesn't have a studio and who hasn't worked on a comercial hit since 2007?
Probably stretching it a bit. more lily was invited to work in a 100m budget project. Not get to spend 100 million.

nush

Gold Member
- and from the email seems like they just reached out to see if he was interested - but it doesn’t seem like a “oh just make this shit up for no reason” situation

You're correct it's from the same bait and switch playbook the CCP use on "Influencers".

Here's a free holiday
Now you can only say these things to your audience....

Look at how American McGee has been pro China.

PJX

Well I wouldn't want anything to do with Tencent, if I owned a studio, as they are racist themselves. That's according to a few reports on their stance against black people.

Top Bottom