• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle: Sticks and Stones | Out Now on Netflix

Papa

Banned
A3rpCnq.png

So that journalist tranny cartoon was pretty accurate huh

isual

i thought it was good, but it definitely was not the best.

feels like he is rehashing old content - like the michael jackson part.

discait

Banned
Outside of the blatant racism this black has towards white people, the special was okay. It doesn't deserve the 17% the critics are giving it, nor the 99% audience score.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
In the spirit of let Dave be Dave, I’m not triggered over it like an SJW or anything, but you pretty much got the idea this guy doesn’t like white people as a plurality much.

I don’t think Dave is racist, or that he’d mistreat you in person or anything. But... I think he, being a slightly older black dude, has encountered a lot of things in his life that have kind of biased him against white people.

But, that’s what we signed up for. An hour of Dave being himself, PC and comedic shackles need not apply. Sometimes there’ll be things you agree with, sometimes there’ll be things you disagree with.

That’s okay. And far better than him walking on eggshells on stage trying not to offend everyone. The left has shown us where that ends.

Shrap

Did you miss the spiel about black people saving America from violent white people? Or was that the joke that I somehow missed?
You were the one who missed it. Remember how he talked about arming every black person in America to save the country? He said that because it meant they'd finally crack down on gun laws. It was a joke about the perception of black people.

I hate how this word is used these days but I think it's appropriate here - this special is important right now. It's a massive relief from the tensions of a modern culture that expects you to hold your tongue, lest you offend anyone. It's also a great middle finger to those that enforce and spread this culture. Hopefully this changes some minds and makes people realise that fear induced self-censorship is a really bad idea.

Bill Burr's new special is out in a week so that should build some more momentum.

Last edited:
In the spirit of let Dave be Dave, I’m not triggered over it like an SJW or anything, but you pretty much got the idea this guy doesn’t like white people as a plurality much.

I don’t think Dave is racist, or that he’d mistreat you in person or anything. But... I think he, being a slightly older black dude, has encountered a lot of things in his life that have kind of biased him against white people.

But, that’s what we signed up for. An hour of Dave being himself, PC and comedic shackles need not apply. Sometimes there’ll be things you agree with, sometimes there’ll be things you disagree with.

That’s okay. And far better than him walking on eggshells on stage trying not to offend everyone. The left has shown us where that ends.
Amen!

JimiNutz

Banned
That RT split is just fucking ridiculous. It's no wonder why people start accusing critics/media of having an agenda.

I put this special on the other night to fall asleep to, ended up watching the entire thing and the epilogue, it was great. Really makes me miss Chappelle's Show though.

One of the best things the internet has done in recent times is expose professional critics as completely useless and irrelevant.

To think that I actually used to read and listen to what these clowns wrote and said. Will be a good day when that industry dies off entirely.

-Arcadia-

Banned
One of the best things the internet has done in recent times is expose professional critics as completely useless and irrelevant.

To think that I actually used to read and listen to what these clowns wrote and said. Will be a good day when that industry dies off entirely.

I mean, really, in the age of Netflix and Spotify, or Twitch and YouTube, or hands-on impressions everywhere, do we really need some twit with a stick up his ass, to treat us to his meandering, pseudo-intellectual dreck, disguised as a review?

We have such a surplus of information, or cheap/accessible media, that the whole idea of a nanny telling us what to buy (a thought that I’m sure delights them) just seems ridiculous.

I can tell you that Gears 5 looks like a cool game by watching Ninja play it on Mixer earlier. I don’t need to read the Polygon dissertation about Kait striking a blow to the patriarchy every time she chainsaws a space ogre in half.

Last edited:

Drake

That RT split is just fucking ridiculous. It's no wonder why people start accusing critics/media of having an agenda.

I put this special on the other night to fall asleep to, ended up watching the entire thing and the epilogue, it was great. Really makes me miss Chappelle's Show though.

When I look at RT scores I always go by what the audience thinks now. I don't give a flying fuck what some west coast liberal elite thought of a movie.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
I want to get back to the real world where no one gives a shit if your offended.

Also, his comments about how he feels about Trump in the prolog are spot on.

Last edited:

Dude makes fun of black people all the time too. Dave just don’t give a fuck

discait

Banned
You were the one who missed it. Remember how he talked about arming every black person in America to save the country? He said that because it meant they'd finally crack down on gun laws.

Based on shit that happened decades before he was even born.

It was a joke about the perception of black people.

No, it was perpetuation of the victim mentality. Oh, blacks are so oppressed by the evil whitey.

Looks like some one is addicted to opiates

Don't you have a child to abandon, a white woman to rape, or a store to rob?

No, it was perpetuation of the victim mentality. Oh, blacks are so oppressed by the evil whitey.

What?!? 😂😂😂 oh man you are funny as fuck. Keep talking like that and you will get banned buddy

-Arcadia-

Banned
Dude makes fun of black people all the time too. Dave just don’t give a fuck

It’s different. With black people it comes from a place of love. White people, I’m not so sure.

There’s a seeming bitterness there, and you can see it again and again.

I loved the show just as much as anyone else, but that really caught my eye during the special, and a few older ones.

It’s different. With black people it comes from a place of love. White people, I’m not so sure.

There’s a seeming bitterness there, and you can see it again and again.

I loved the show just as much as anyone else, but that really caught my eye during the special, and a few older ones.
Eh I don’t really feel that personally. I know he dose have white friends for sure.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Eh I don’t really feel that personally. I know he dose have white friends for sure.

Yeah, that’s why I made sure to say he wasn’t racist earlier. I don’t think he’s that type of a guy, just caught my attention. I see, at least partially, where some of these other posters are coming from.

NeoLed

Yeah, that’s why I made sure to say he wasn’t racist earlier. I don’t think he’s that type of a guy, just caught my attention. I see, at least partially, where some of these other posters are coming from.
I think it's okay for a person to dislike some people and then make jokes about it. Maybe he did met some really shitty white people. You don't think all white people are pleasant, do you?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think it's okay for a person to dislike some people and then make jokes about it. Maybe he did met some really shitty white people. You don't think all white people are pleasant, do you?

You should actually read the page, see my full thoughts on the matter, and put your outrage aside for a second.

autoduelist

You were the one who missed it. Remember how he talked about arming every black person in America to save the country? He said that because it meant they'd finally crack down on gun laws. It was a joke about the perception of black people.

That was actually one of the few jokes that fell absolutely flat for me, because it depended on the idea that most 2nd amendment lovers are racist.

Whereas I think far from suddenly wanting to ban guns, the ultra-vast majority of gun owners [white, black, whatever] would absolutely love if a sizeable percentage of the population [white, black, whatever] armed up.

It's one more thing to talk about. So to me, he got that one wrong on a social commentary level, because i think most people love having things to bond over [be it guns, comic books, games, car engines]... if every black person was suddenly in the NRA and legally owned a weapon, they'd get a standing ovation for being so based.

That was actually one of the few jokes that fell absolutely flat for me, because it depended on the idea that most 2nd amendment lovers are racist.

Whereas I think far from suddenly wanting to ban guns, the ultra-vast majority of gun owners [white, black, whatever] would absolutely love if a sizeable percentage of the population [white, black, whatever] armed up.

It's one more thing to talk about. So to me, he got that one wrong on a social commentary level, because i think most people love having things to bond over [be it guns, comic books, games, car engines]... if every black person was suddenly in the NRA and legally owned a weapon, they'd get a standing ovation for being so based.
How are you in the 10,000 club?

Finally got around to watching this.

It's super American, so some of the jokes didn't land for me, but I was entertained throughout and laughed my head off way more than I have at most comedians for the last few years.

I really miss when this kind of biting social commentary and willingness to take those with power down a peg was the norm.

Easily a 9/10, and I really hope it's success and positive reception emboldens others to stand up to the puritanical, regressive extreme left.

Thaedolus

I don’t know what the fuck world you live in homey but, as a white guy, I can still recognize that the past isn’t eliminated overnight. Ending slavery didn’t eliminate racism, and ending Jim Crow laws didn’t eliminate racism, and even If you could claim that they did, the after effects would still be felt for generations. So what’s your angle here? Blacks don’t have it harder than whites? It doesn’t matter if they do? We shouldn’t try to right wrongs? I’m struggling to find a point you’re trying to make which isn’t completely retarded.

Can someone quote me some of the "transphobic" jokes from Sticks and Stones? I can't find anything on Youtube.

He basically said he thought body dysmorphia is funny, and compared it to him as a black man identifying as Asian (Chinese?). Then did an impersonation of an Asian. Here’s the thing: dude empathized with the situation trans people are in, but he was trying to find the humor in it. He was making jokes which are definitely insensitive, but nothing I’d call transphobic or anything, because you give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he’s not being mean spirited when he’s already pointed out it’s a tough situation. Same thing about arming all the black people to get gun control on the table...like why are white people getting triggered by that? It’s funny! Quit getting your panties in a bunch over the idea that racism is still a thing because it absolutely is, and that’s a funny way to go about something..

oagboghi2

If you are a racist white guy, don't you think black people already have guns?

One of his weaker jokes

autoduelist

Ending slavery didn’t eliminate racism, and ending Jim Crow laws didn’t eliminate racism, and even If you could claim that they did, the after effects would still be felt for generations.

If slavery didn't cause racism, and Jim Crow laws didn't cause racism [since clearly racism must predate racist actions and policy] how would ending these policies possibly end racism?

As for after effects, it would seem to me that current day policy has far more impact on black [and other poor, but we are talking black] communities than aftershocks from generations prior.

Plenty of other cultures have been looked down upon, and even stepped upon, in American history [note: I do not say this as a slight on America, this is an unavoidable facet of human history and I think America did excellent, overall]. Japanese faced some ridiculous racism and, of course, internment camps. Irish were trafficked as indentured servants, faced 'no irish' signs, etc. Chinese and the transcontinental railroad. Ethnic Jews. Native Americans. Etc.

I would argue the two cultures most deeply affected today are the black community and the Native American communities, not because of what their ancestors went through, but because of policies that were enacted to 'help' them that effectively destroyed their communities and undermines them - in the case of black communities, fatherlessness and resultant crime and drugs.

Japanese, for example, are quite clearly visibly Japanese. They faced their share of racism. Yet they are doing better today than white people are in America today. Which is great, and smart communities and families should look to them [among others], for things to emulate, like family cohesion.

But my point is this: black communities aren't feeling the aftershocks of slavery so much as they are feeling the present day shock of economic policies, like welfare, that tore them apart long after racism ended and continues to tear them apart today. Unlike the many other communities I listed above, they were treated like they needed govt help to get by, when the others [sans Native Americans] were expected to figure it out. And it is these policies that keep many black communities blighted. Not aftershocks of slavery. The leftist policies put in place to 'help' communities actually keep them down.

People with talent are celebrated in America. Black, white, asian, mixed... it doesn't matter. Whether successful at business, music, sports, even some silly skit on America's got Talent, we don't care, we love to see people succeed.

The idea that aftershocks of slavery are holding them down is a curse upon a race, it's telling them no matter what they do, they wear invisible chains. That's bullshit. No, they don't. The sky is the limit in this country regardless of race.

Last edited:
Outside of the blatant racism this black has towards white people, the special was okay. It doesn't deserve the 17% the critics are giving it, nor the 99% audience score.

A comedian making jokes about white people doesn't make them a racist, good Lord. Super snowflake mode post xD.

I do think some of the audience score is just to "stick it" to the access media reviews, but overall even if the critic reviewers were being more fair and balanced, the audience score would probably be in the 90% range regardless.

Thaedolus

If slavery didn't cause racism, and Jim Crow laws didn't cause racism [since clearly racism must predate racist actions and policy] how would ending these policies possibly end racism?

As for after effects, it would seem to me that current day policy has far more impact on black [and other poor, but we are talking black] communities than aftershocks from generations prior.

The idea that aftershocks of slavery are holding them down is a curse upon a race, it's telling them no matter what they do, they wear invisible chains. That's bullshit. No, they don't. The sky is the limit in this country regardless of race.

Current day policies absolutely impact the community, and some of those policies are blatantly racist. Take the draconian crack punishments put in place vs. cocaine. Why the different standards for essentially the same drug?

I’m not saying the woes of the black community are 100% the result of the white man, and I don’t feel white guilt because I am not myself trying to perpetuate any of that, but to essentially handwave all that bullshit they’ve had to deal with is also not the answer. Chappelle isn’t wrong in pointing out that racism isn’t gone and continues. To infer from that all these other things about leftist policies is unnecessary. It’s just an acknowledgement that the playing field still isn’t level.

i like his story from the epilogue, where a trans person thanked him for normalizing them. really, if you are not allowed to laugh at/with a person, they hold some kind of power over you. you can't be accepted by everyday normality and yet fly into a rage anytime a comedian says a joke about you.

doubly so given that he is a black man. LGBTQ alphabet soup stealth sneaks in white people to the front of the line of oppression. "listen to women and POC" is the line for SJWs, who consider "women" to be "anyone who identifies as such". the irony of it all, that we have white people, and in many case biological white men, upset at a black person calling out their specific privilege, and these people think they are on the side of social justice, is not lost on him.

This is something I've noticed, too. And not just with this Chappelle stuff. Remember the Kevin Hart Oscars stuff? It was (yet again) LGBT+ trying to get him cancelled, but most of them definitely white, and usually male.

I would LOVE if South Park did an episode making fun of this stuff, but Matt and Trey are too cucked these days to even muster up the courage. And that's even with me liking the more recent seasons; you can tell they don't have that fire in them anymore (plus they're buddy-buddy with Hollywood which is filled with many of the same LGBT+ ironically trying to cancel minorities who aren't towing super far-leftists ideologies)

Top Bottom