• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls is an almost perfect masterpiece...

In my top 3 games of all time, but it's not perfect.

Second half of the game drags.
2nd half would be after you reach Anor Londo....how can you say it drags from then on? Second half has Anor Londo, The Dukes Archives, Crystal Cave...all magnificent levels. The Tomb of the Giants could also be considered second half, and that level in complete darkness and deadly giant skeletons are an awesome change of pace and great design imo. Then we have the rest of the Demon Ruins which aren't that great and Bed of Chaos sucks, but the level is alright and it even has that awesome bonus fight at the end of the Onion Knight's story arc. I honestly don't see where it drags.

Banned
I appreciate the effort but it’s really not anywhere close to being a masterpiece.

Dark Souls 2, however... now we’re talking masterpiece!
Bait GIF

but for real... Dark Souls 3 is the one that is almost perfect. it doesn't have the unnecessarily convoluted second half that DS1 has and it simply plays better (which is to be expected)

Last edited:
i like almost everything about this game. Incredible masterpiece.
Also i hate comments like "the second part sucks", nope i disagree, the only part that sucks starts with the centipede and ends with the bed of chaos. 10 minutes more or less.
Honestly I never understood those comments, okay bed of chaos area felt rushed and with not as many secrets, but it wasn't anywhere near as obnoxious as people make it out to be and it felt like a quick change of pace to the rest of the game.

DS1 has many flaws but it's still a masterpiece

gioGAF

It is great indeed. However, it falls short of being a masterpiece thanks to the unfinished nature of a certain fire level that is full of garbage. Most painful part whenever I replay this great game.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
that's the worst argument about the locations making no sense. This guy is hugely responsible for people disliking this game and not having their own opinion.
It is no a physical land. It is in the lore (and dark souls 3 ringed city goes there all the way) that the lands converge and mix up. It should not make sense ! Why does it have to obey laws of real world ?!
And the game has such a weird, dreamy like feeling, the locations being so varied and out of place really grew on me.
Also - many only played scholar of the first sin and it's way more asshole city than vanilla which I think does some stuff better
Everything you're describing (including the dream-like nature) was fully realized in Bloodborne. Dark Souls 2 was sacrificed so that Bloodborne could be the masterpiece that it was. It's sad and unfortunate but if you truly love a game(or anything for that matter) you have to accept it has flaws too. By trying to downplay or not acknowledge the many flaws of DS 2, it does a disservice to it as a part of gaming history. DS 2 isn't perfect. It's the likeable underdog, and that's okay.

april6e

I feel like circle j about Dark Souls is a bit moot at this point. We've already beaten this horse to death.

Most serious gamers agree that Dark Souls 1 is one of the greatest games of all time and is a 10/10 game. Not much to discuss about it by now. Game lacks any sort of real flaw besides the lower quality of the late game areas.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Adventure game : Dark souls > Dark souls 3 > dark souls 2

RPG : Dark souls 2 > dark souls > dark souls 3 .

Playtime : Dark souls 2 > dark souls > dark souls 3 .

Enjoyment : dark souls 2 > dark souls > dark souls 3 .

Production quality : dark souls 3 > dark souls > dark souls 2 .

nerdface

Banned
I love it, but I have to admit I haven’t finished it yet and got distracted by other stuff. I think I have a couple of those orange gate thingies and whatever is after. I feel like I’m close to the end.

I made an effort to avoid reading anything like guides, and tried to learn everything from the game. I really need to buckle down and do it, but monster hunter 😢

Naked Lunch

Dark Souls 1 is the pinnacle of the series and Souls genre.
The Artorias DLC alone puts many other entire modern games to shame.
The Artorias battle is forever etched in my memories.

DS2, while I wont say it sucks - nearly every boss required the same strategy - they are all the same.
DS2 was not memorable at all.

Everything you're describing (including the dream-like nature) was fully realized in Bloodborne. Dark Souls 2 was sacrificed so that Bloodborne could be the masterpiece that it was. It's sad and unfortunate but if you truly love a game(or anything for that matter) you have to accept it has flaws too. By trying to downplay or not acknowledge the many flaws of DS 2, it does a disservice to it as a part of gaming history. DS 2 isn't perfect. It's the likeable underdog, and that's okay.
Yeah, the Fishing Hamlet in the Old Hunters DLC actually seems like a reference to the infamous DS2 lava pit in the sky problem: you reach it by climbing to the top of the Astral Clocktower, and when you look into the water you see that you're actually somehow above the nightmare Yharnam. But in Bloodborne it works because that game makes careful, deliberate aesthetic choices: you know you're in a dream where the geography is sort of strange, and they actually tipped you off to this specific element earlier in the DLC when the snail man falls from the sky and almost crushes you next to the Whirligig Saw. In DS2 it just plain doesn't work: nothing about the world of Dark Souls implies that the laws of physics are no longer operable across the board, so there's no way there could be a floating lava castle in the sky that you reach via elevator.

Sentenza

I don't like masochistic formula in all from soft games ...so no.
People who think Dark Souls is a "masochist formula" are hopeless tossers with dysfunctional hands.
It's not even THAT hard, honestly. There are plenty of franchises that are far less notorious for their difficulty while being far more frustrating to the player.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
People who think Dark Souls is a "masochist formula" are hopeless tossers with dysfunctional hands.
It's not even THAT hard, honestly. There are plenty of franchises that are far less notorious for their difficulty while being far more frustrating to the player.
You probably don't know the meaning of the word masochist. anyway Miyazaki himself use that word talking about the game.

"Edge asked Miyazaki how he felt about being called cruel and sadistic.

“If I had to say for myself, it’s actually the opposite – I’m more masochistic,” he replied.

“Because I created Dark Souls while thinking about what type of game I would personally like to play. I wanted somebody to bring out a really sadistic game, but I ended up having to make it myself.”

in another one:

"Miyazaki: I'm a huge masochist, so when I make games like these… this is how I want to be treated!

Murohashi: Ooh…

Miyazaki: "I want to be killed this way!" That's how I make it!

Miyazaki: I don't know about the other staff members' fantasies, but I'm not making it from a sadistic stance, but from a masochistic one. I want this done to me!"

and it's not about difficulty

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Dark Souls is indeed a masterpiece. The game has managed to make me buy all the parts (starting with Demons Soul on the PS3) even though I've never played a single one of them for more than three hours. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Definitely a masterpiece and my top 5 game, not gonna say it's perfect tho, the later games in the series have superior combat.

regawdless

Banned
Dark Souls has a very special place in my heart. I finished it like 7 times. It's so good. Just amazing atmosphere, world building, design.

I would've preferred BluePoint to remake Dark Souls instead of Demons Souls.

martino

Dark Souls is great until you finish Anor Londo.
Then it goes downhill from there.

Still, it's much better than than other Souls games (DS2, DS3, Bloodborne and Sekiro).
this. i replayed it and finished dlc ~two weeks ago
Dark souls highs are really high but dark souls lows are low (unlike DS3)
DS3 is best balanced from soft experience imo.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't think there is any game that can reach its scope.
  • No waypoint, forcing players to mentally map out the areas of the map and memorize which very few games do.
  • Purposeful backtracking, backtracking, and winding back to the area gives you that sigh of relief as you find shortcuts back to familiar ground.
  • Geographic areas are accurate and foreshadow potential levels that you will eventually come across.
  • Subtle character development and progress through inching yourself through the area. Reaching bonfires is a set of relief but also a double-edged sword as it also respawns enemies back.
    There is quite some courage for the player to venture into the unknown and discover.
  • Leveling up and becoming powerful isn't a power fantasy but to make your survivability much more possible.
  • Environmental storytelling through the items and the world evokes a well-established area that has been rotting and desolate.
  • Level design is tailored and play on all aspects of verticality and slopes and is dimensional. Not a.i generated like Assassin's Creed which creates repetitious boring environments.
  • Metaphoric symbols and representation are present in this game and can be deep.
  • Tutorials that feel extremely optional and get players to jump straight into the game rather than being force-fed.
  • Death has consequences as you have to be mindful of what you could lose.
  • Focus on ambiance music as you hear your surroundings and your footsteps.
  • Subverting secrets with invisible walls, which makes players want to hit every wall in the game.
  • Strategic enemy placement gives players an opportunity to prioritize enemy encounters and utilize environmental hazards to their advantage.
What do you love about Dark Souls?

Character customization in this game sucks, however. When you move one slider it moves other sliders as well which is annoying.
I like that you actually feel more powerful revisiting areas that you struggled with on your first time through. There's a real sense of progression. You really feel like you've grown as a warrior. That being said the game is always quick to remind you that you're only slightly less vulnerable than you were before overall. The slightest mistake could have you clinching your butt cheeks trying to make it back to your souls.

Last edited:

Sentenza

this. i replayed it and finished dlc ~two weeks ago
Dark souls highs are really high but dark souls lows are low (unlike DS3)
DS3 is best balanced from soft experience imo.
I don't particularly agree.
Dark Souls 3 improved its average boss fights by a great deal, but when it comes to overall map design, mood and pace I still think the first Dark Souls towers above all other From previous and subsequent productions.

There's a thing the game achieves (even at its "lows") better than all its sequel and derivates, which is selling you the idea to be this lone adventurer immersed in a believable fictional place, this crepuscular world where gods and humanity are going though their last days.

Is the Dark Souls II love satirical or are people just being contrarian?

This is what I think of it. This is probably the biggest insult I can give to this Miyazaki-less, slow rolling, slow estus-flask chugging piece of literal dog shit;

8gTuZQy.png
I platinumed all of them except Namco Bandai's torch lighting simulator as well.

Philfrag

Banned
Dark souls is far from a perfect masterpiece. It has a lot of questionable design choices but it gets its recognition for being uncompromising in its vision in a time when most of the video game industry is dictated by a focus group mentality. It was a breath of fresh air when it first released and it proved that great art is nearly always dictated to you. People don't know what they want until they are shown it. From software got incredibly lucky with Dark Souls and i think they would admit that themselves too. They made a type of game they were confident with and didn't let trends decide what they were going to put out.

Dark souls doesn't need to be a masterpiece. But it was definitely birthed from a team that proved itself to be one of the best developers in the industry, simply due to the fearlessness you can see in their design. 99% of video games have no character or soul in them simply because of how mainstream the industry has become. From Software proved you could still be mainstream and be original whilst diverting the course of where the industry can go. Not every developer will succeed at such a task, but they will always have my respect. Its developers like these that keep me interested in the medium as most of the industry continues to be a fucking bore-fest. Calling something like dark souls a 'masterpiece' is adhering to the language the industry likes to nestle in so it can justify the bland crap it puts out every year. It yearns for acceptance from those who want nothing more than recognition rather than those who want to experiment and make something different.

Dark souls is flawed as hell, but even in its flaws it excels and bringing the player an experience that will be remembered, appreciated and learned by millions. An experience that is hard to come by these days in the never ending aisle of virtual toy shelves.

Top Bottom