• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARK SOULS II Announced - [PC/PS3/360 - PR in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I won't judge until I see the game in movement. Overreacting without watching the game working might be preposterous.

Zeth

Please let there be roaming dark knights. One of the single most bad ass ideas I've heard about the games development, it's a shame it was scrapped. Playing the shit out of DS/DkS this year.

I'm not too worried about the "accessible" part yet. The intention seems to be to give players a better handle on the gameplay mechanics themselves (maybe stuff like parrying, smithing, magic, etc.), and then to throw them into the wilderness. So imagine the Undead Asylum or the first area of Demon Souls, only maybe an hour or two longer to get players better acquainted with everything. Then after that the world opens up, and it's up to the player to choose where to go.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Wow, the Edge Article is pretty cool if anyone else has seen it. The enemy and weapon designs in particular look interesting.

Re: Vehicles
There's a chariot riding enemy shown

He's also talking about adding vehicles to the game, not because it would complement Dark Souls' design but because he wants to keep trying/adding new things.

I'm usually pretty optimistic about these kind of things, but this guy sounds like a fool. It reeks of someone without a vision throwing a bunch of things at a wall and hoping some of it sticks.

When any sequel is in development, they're going to look at many other options. Some will be rejected, and others may be integrated in a way that doesn't compromise the existing formula.

I am not worried at all. I've read the full Edge article, and I am very excited. The possibility of time travel is also rather exciting.

UrbanRats

By the way, where's this love interest stuff? I don't see it in the text. Did somebody just make it up?

No, i actually asked it as a question, because people on 4chan mentioned it (a Q&A with the girl used as a model for the CGI trailer, apparently).
But far from being something confirmed.

Serra

EDIT: UrbanRats already explained, doh.

By the way, where's this love interest stuff? I don't see it in the text. Did somebody just make it up?

I am wondering this also.

I just read the whole Edge magazine article minutes ago, didn't see any mention of a love interest.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The Miyazaki part of the Edge interview is pretty good. Kind of sombre ending, though.

But at least he confirms he won't be involved "in the actual development of Dark Souls 2"

UrbanRats

As i understand it, in an interview with the model/actress used to model the girl in the trailer, she mentioned (among other things completely unrelated to gaming) about DS2 and the character being something of a love interest BUT:
1) i was asking for it exactly because i would like to read it first hand, before drawing conclusions.
2) she probably doesn't know shit and there's a good chance it might have been a joke/speculation.

If someone has the link (i think it was reddit, but i'm not sure) i would like to read it.

The article isn't exactly encouraging, but I think it's still too soon to say the game will be a disaster.

I'm pretty curious about Miyazaki stepping/being forced aside. The PR speak in the Edge article was already present in the interviews linked in post 3082:

"(I): Is there any plans on a sequel? If it is what would be a good title for a sequel?
(P): Hold your horses. I don't know about a sequel but it seems like we can make a new one.
We still need to look at reviews and player feedback including overseas, whats
going on and is there a market for it. I really don't know about a sequel and even
if there is I don't know if I have a chance to work on it cause that's a seperate
issue so I can't talk about it carelessly. Dark Souls is not "mine" and I think it
might need some new "blood" (influence). If there is a sequel it going to be a
brand and it will need its brand power which might need some new "blood". With all
these issues I have no idea. I want to make something
(I): I want it to continue, with Mr. Miyazaki
(P): I want that too but . . . ."

Dresden

Didn't see shit about any love interests, it's probably some kind of a former lover/wife thing that the character remembers now and then.

UrbanRats

The article isn't exactly encouraging, but I think it's still too soon to say the game will be a disaster.

I'm pretty curious about Miyazaki stepping/being forced aside. The PR speak in the Edge article was already present in the interviews linked in post 3082:

"(I): Is there any plans on a sequel? If it is what would be a good title for a sequel?
(P): Hold your horses. I don't know about a sequel but it seems like we can make a new one.
going on and is there a market for it. I really don't know about a sequel and even
if there is I don't know if I have a chance to work on it cause that's a seperate
issue so I can't talk about it carelessly. Dark Souls is not "mine" and I think it
brand and it will need its brand power which might need some new "blood". With all
That sounds sad.
I just hope they didn't change the director to get someone softer and more inclined to the "Yes man" attitude.

;_;

Eusis

That sounds sad.
I just hope they didn't change the director to get someone softer and more inclined to the "Yes man" attitude.
If that's purely the reason it seems very unwise in the long run. You lose the creative forces or that general push that made the games special, and you'd probably have it instantly fall apart on you. It's easier to do this with something like Call of Duty as Treyarch showed, but Demon's Souls and Dark Souls was something that struck in all the right areas, and just throwing it to someone else will probably be much harder to make work out.

krishian

As i understand it, in an interview with the model/actress used to model the girl in the trailer, she mentioned (among other things completely unrelated to gaming) about DS2 and the character being something of a love interest BUT:
1) i was asking for it exactly because i would like to read it first hand, before drawing conclusions.
2) she probably doesn't know shit and there's a good chance it might have been a joke/speculation.

If someone has the link (i think it was reddit, but i'm not sure) i would like to read it.
Alright, here's the deal: I can talk about the process of how I went from real person to digital character, but as far as my role in the game goes, I really don't know much. Forget the "love interest" bit. They were throwing that around while we were working, but as a few of you have said, I think that may have been more for emotional play than anything else (Telling me to look sad may not have gotten the same result if they told me I was some bad-ass warrior chick). I have no idea what her name is. I've heard some people suggest Velka, Goddess of Sin, which would be awesome, but I honestly don't have a clue. I also don't know if I/she will be in the game and not just the trailer. They have the rights to my likeness so its plausible, but I have nothing to speak to that.
http://www.reddit.com/user/foxholewaitress

TheExodu5

Banned
The model in question:

xyCij.jpg

They did change her a fair bit...especially her eyes.

I am slightly worried. Not because of the apparent "dumbing down". That is needed to an extent. I don't want to be consulting the wiki every 5 minutes like I was in the last 2 games.

But so many series' have faltered under new directors. Sometimes it's one visionary that brings it all together, y'know. Doesn't help that From Software have a ridiculously spotty track record.

Can't wait to see how it turns out either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom