• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Earth - forgotten and underestimated game

base

Banned
Hi all,

Some older players probably have heard about game called Dark Earth, which was released in the 90s.
It was developed by a French studio named Kalisto Entertainment and published by Microprose.

jvLNWpj.png

From Wikipedia:
Dark Earth is a third-person game centered around item-collection and weapon-based melee combat. The game world is filled with a variety of different weapons which can be used until broken, requiring a constant need to expand the main character Arkhan's weapon collection. The vast majority of the weapons are scavenged or improvised, such as kitchen knives and shivs. There are a very limited number of guns in Dark Earth, as most people have forgotten about firearms. For the select few guns Arkhan finds, there is an equally limited amount of ammo, making guns good for only a limited time. Arkhan must also scavenge for food, as it is his only means of healing.

-----------------------

Does any of you have ever played this game and can share some good memories with other members? I highly regret that such a great game never received a sequel or at least a remaster. Probably due to the bankrupty of the developer.

Screenshots:

8f1IRL1.png

PmO3uog.png

SFmIS63.jpg

Last edited:

tommib

I played this so much. I remember the amount of narrative branches it had. The game would completely change depending on who you would kill or and your approach to conversations. Totally forgotten. You’re not alone, OP.

Last edited:

base

Banned
I played this so much. I remember the amount of narrative branches it had. The game would completely change depending on who you would kill or and your approach to conversations. Totally forgotten. You’re not alone, OP.
There were many choices in the game. I even managed to find a secret ending myself.

base

Banned
It had pretty interesting plot IMO.

Kuranghi

Amazing! One of my first PC games I believe. I was 11 or 12 at the time and there this bit where he leans down to touch something and he says:

"Hmmm, traces of piss"

As a young boy I was like what the fuck and asked my mum what it meant, she wasn't happy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kuranghi

I fucking love computer games, I played this within months of Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey, similar graphics techniques (pre-rendered, compressed backgrounds + 3D models) but they couldn't be any different haha. Both great in their own rights.

Top Bottom