• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dan Trachtenberg To Direct ‘Y The Last Man’ Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/new-line-sets-dan-trachtenberg-to-helm-y-the-last-man/

BREAKING: New Line Cinema is moving forward with the cult classic Y The Last Man, setting Dan Trachtenberg to direct the film. The helmer, with a commercials background, put himself on the map after generating his own trailer for a faux movie based on the videogame Portal.

Y The Last Man is the dystopian science fiction comic book series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra published by Vertigo beginning in 2002. It focuses on only man to survive the apparent simultaneous death of every male mammal on Earth. The 60-issue series was repackaged in book firm and the series won five Eisner Awards.

The film is being produced by Benderspink and David Goyer, with Sam Brown and David Neustadter overseeing for New Line. Trachtenberg is separately attached to helm Crime of the Century, the Universal film which has Chris Morgan producing. That’s being scripted by Daniel Kunka.

ICM Partners reps Trachtenberg along with Oasis.

TRS fans will know Dan well. :D

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Holy shit!!!! What happened to his heist film? Cancelled? Also, why is Y the Last Man being turned into a film? Wouldn't it be better suited for a TV show?

It was almost a film twice before - the closest I think it got was D.J. Caruso directing, with Shia LaBeouf as Yorick (this was like, 2006, I think)

Brian K. Vaughan took a couple cracks at the script - it was going to be one movie, I think. Sorta like how Scott Pilgrim got condensed down.

There is a lot of fluff that can be cut from the narrative, but it will still be a huge project to put a good film on screen.

Better yet, give me a DMZ film.

Trachtenberg?

Michelle-Trachtenberg.jpg

Trachtenberg.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The narrative is way to expansive to do it justice within the confines of a single film...

Holy shit!!!! What happened to his heist film? Cancelled? Also, why is Y the Last Man being turned into a film? Wouldn't it be better suited for a TV show?
I feel the same. They would easily have to cut out entire storylines to fit this into a single movie, and even then, I just can't imagine it being satisfying.

Most overrated graphic novel of all time.
Care to explain?

I feel the same. They would easily have to cut out entire storylines to fit this into a single movie, and even then, I just can't imagine it being satisfying.

I thought the same thing back in 05 or 06 when I first heard about it, but Vaughn himself said it could be done, and his run at the script left him pretty satisfied. Again - look at how neatly Scott Pilgrim got condensed from six books to one movie. Obviously Y: has some more complicated moving parts, but if Vaughn thinks it's possible without losing what makes the story compelling/impactful, I'm curious to see how it plays.

This is a hell of a shot for a first feature, too. Trachtenberg's got a lot on his shoulders. He's good people, though.

That wouldn't be a good film at all. That definitely needs serious time to play out. TV's the only way to go with adapting DMZ.

Fine with that. But there are a lot of substories that play out in the epilogues that are great examples that the world of DMZ is robust enough to be handled in a feature. The world of DMZ is better than the narrative, even though the themes at play are sociopolitically relevant even now.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I thought the same thing back in 05 or 06 when I first heard about it, but Vaughn himself said it could be done, and his run at the script left him pretty satisfied. Again - look at how neatly Scott Pilgrim got condensed from six books to one movie. Obviously Y: has some more complicated moving parts, but if Vaughn thinks it's possible without losing what makes the story compelling/impactful, I'm curious to see how it plays.

This is a hell of a shot for a first feature, too. Trachtenberg's got a lot on his shoulders. He's good people, though.
I'm sure it can be done, I just question how satisfying it would be. Looking back on the series (and even at the time), there were some plot threads that didn't go anywhere, and I really disliked the ending (how all of the men were killed not the final issue), and those could be changed or excised, but the series has a similar appeal to Lost in that it constantly brings up new questions and mysteries, and consolidating all of those would make the movie a lot less interesting. I suppose one of the things that impressed me about Y: The Last Man is that Brian K. Vaughan defined how a world without any male members of species would be, and it never just felt like a generic apocalyptic wasteland, and I don't think a two hour movie would be able to evoke that setting properly.

But if you say that BKV thinks it can be done, I'll believe you believing him. He's my favorite comic book writer, and I might have an irrational love of everything he's written.

aku:jiki

That wouldn't be a good film at all. That definitely needs serious time to play out. TV's the only way to go with adapting DMZ.
They wouldn't need to try to adapt the whole overlying arc, they could just adapt one of the many smaller arcs. Or the movie could just pick a few arcs and jump between them like the comic does. I'd dig both.

But if you say that BKV thinks it can be done, I'll believe you believing him. He's my favorite comic book writer, and I might have an irrational love of everything he's written.

I'm with you, and I think you're right to be skeptical. I mean, it's entirely possible his words (that I might be fuzzy on) were just an example of him playing ball at the time as the movie based on his work was worming through the Hollywood system.

fake edit: Here's a quick blurt of the details of Vaughan's run at the script, via DJ Caruso at a press junket for Eagle Eye back in 2008.

AintitCoolNews said:
Anyway, I asked him about an early draft of the script that circulated. It was written by series creator Brian K. Vaughan and even though it had great moments, it really crammed everything into one two hour movie. That meant we lost Hero, Yorrick’s sister, and we lost all the side-characters that give the story it’s identity. Caruso agreed with me 100% and said that once the writer’s strike was over (this was before the end) they’re going to completely rework the script, keeping as much as the book as they can. In fact, he’s going to structure it as a trilogy, with the first movie encompassing issues 1-12, not trying to get the whole 50-something issues into one movie.

Anyway, it appears the script by Matt Federman and Stephen Scaia was so good that New Line put it at the top of their priority list back in September, and Trachtenberg is the guy they came up with after a couple months.

OnPoint

Most overrated graphic novel of all time.

The first two volumes of the trades were god-tier. The next 7 were awful. The wrap-up was decent. I just can't figure out how it all went so wrong.

Interested in seeing how the movie turns out, though.

Comic book movies in the hands of comic book nerds. This is the golden age. It's like Hollywood woke up to realize that a good movie by fans might have better long-term traction than a bad cash grab by some known director (Wolverine, Green Lantern) who has no love for the material.

Comic book movies in the hands of comic book nerds. This is the golden age.

I don't think this applies to Dan, but this can be just as bad as having someone who doesn't give a shit about comics making a comic-book movie.

The guy who made the Dungeons and Dragons movie was a huge D&D nerd, for example.

Them being competent directors is way more important than whether or not they self-identify as nerds first and foremost. But ideally, yeah, you'd like a blend of enthusiasm/understanding going into these sorts of projects, so you don't have to waste time "getting up to speed," on why/how this stuff works.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm not sure about a singular movie. Scott pilgrim cut a lot of stuff that I felt was vital to the story (envys closure, playing up Scott being a douchebag, Stephen stills revelation.) But if vaughan says it can be done, I'll give the trailer a go when it comes

Platy

So they hire a dude who only directed one fanfilm and it is NOT the dude who directed the Y the Last Man fanfilm ?

LOL xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom