• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damon Lindelof Reportedly Working on a Star Wars Movie

Jennings

When will they realize Star Wars movies just don't work any more and stick to Disney+ shows, where the license and stories are best served?

ManaByte

Gold Member
If true, I'm still curious to see what he brings to the table.
kyle mooney trash GIF by Saturday Night Live

sol_bad

I'm assuming this forum is not a fan of The Leftovers or Watchmen, eh?

Also it was ABC who wrecked Lost by forcing Lindelof and Cuse to double the length of the series.

I loved Lost in it's entirety.
Enjoyed Watchmen but thought it shit the bed in the last episode, really hated it
Haven't seen Leftovers yet.

MrMephistoX

When will they realize Star Wars movies just don't work any more and stick to Disney+ shows, where the license and stories are best served?
George Lucas might even agree with you there it was always designed as a love letter to the movie serials he grew up with and for format just works better as a high budget series. Marvel works because it’s drawing off of 80 years worth of serialized comic source material.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Awesome, i bet the movie will be nothing but questions without any any answers. Such is the way of hack “mystery box” style writers

Also lmfao at that clow twitter you posted. I love how he capitalized every word that could possibly be trending, then screams subscribe now at the bottom. Subscribe for what? So you can have your 15 minutes of clout? What an ass

Last edited:

Just when you thought it couldn’t get worse than JJ Abrams…

Wtf is this guy asking us to Subscribe to?

On topic: Why are they even bothering with another movie?

Stick to the TV shows, they help shed light on the lore better than any modern Star Wars movie can possible shed even despite being given a 3 hour runtime.

Ionian

Stick to the TV shows, they help shed light on the lore better than any modern Star Wars movie can possible shed even despite being given a 3 hour runtime.

Think (and I guess) it'll be some team=up movie from TV shows ala Marvel? I dunno though, seems plausible.

Never knew he was involved with Prometheus.I liked that one despite it's stupidity. Covenant though ... what a piece of shit.

Never knew he was involved with Prometheus. I liked that one despite it's stupidity.
Ayeee, same here.

I loved that movie just for the simple fact that my friend and I had a lengthy discussion on what all of it meant when it came to the ancient beings.

Too bad they shat the bed with the sequel by explaining nothing, or explaining everything in the dumbest way possible.

SJRB

Gold Member
Dude bringing that youtube energy to twitter.

PLEASE LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE NOW, HIT THE BELL TO GET A NOTIFICATION WHENEVER I POST AWESOME NEW CONTENT

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
On topic: Why are they even bothering with another movie?

No please no. I cannot stand any more regular guys painted green wearing a pig mask as Garmorrean guards. Or a bunch of guys wearing dog masks as aliens. Or a crazy blue skinned alien who sounds like he is from New York.

Please bring back unlimited budgets and actual set, costume, voice acting/effect budgets as well.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Hope you are looking forward to Star Wars being turned into some vehicle for whatever Christian sermon he feels like telling at the time.

Fbh

Lol "the Creator of Watchmen*"
*as in the shitty woke show, not the highly regarded graphic novel

Anyway, I have zero hype or expectation for future Star Wars movie so whatever, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm assuming this forum is not a fan of The Leftovers or Watchmen, eh?

Also it was ABC who wrecked Lost by forcing Lindelof and Cuse to double the length of the series.

Watchmen sucked (IMO it was decent for the first couple of episodes but then quickly went to shit).
And I think I'm in the minority that was really disappointed by The Leftovers. The show relied way too much on traditional mystery box bullshit to then pretend it was never about the mystery and it's about "faith and not knowing"

It doesny matter what anyone does...star wars will suck forever. You could make the most amazing story with the most amazing characters ...it will still be trash..

because.....it will always and forever now be tied in with the prequels and sequels.. Lucas set the ball rolling with phantom menace....once you build the foundations for the universe on wet sand....everything after will always be leaning.

The only way to ever fix that is to just say fuck it EVERYTHING since 1999 is fanfiction and redo everything from scratch with only the original trilogy as the basis. Of course i would never trust Disney to rewrite the prequels...or admit the member berry sequel trilogy was bad

ManaByte

Gold Member
The only way to ever fix that is to just say fuck it EVERYTHING since 1999 is fanfiction and redo everything from scratch with only the original trilogy as the basis. Of course i would never trust Disney to rewrite the prequels...or admit the member berry sequel trilogy was bad

Yes, let's just erase a generation's Star Wars. If one of those people who grew up with the Prequels being their Star Wars wanted to erase the Original Trilogy and call it fan fiction because it looks like it was made in the 70s and it doesn't make sense for Leia to be kissing her brother for two movies, I'm sure you'd have a problem with that.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is basically what the guys writing the Galaxy's Edge book series did. They took OT star wars, rubbed off the serial numbers, and then slapped it silly with gritty military realism, techno thriller aesthetics, and a hefty dose of Generation Kill type grunt POV. Works AMAZINGLY well as it turns out stormtroopers are kinda terrifying when written by actual vets and you ignore all the Jedi stuff.

VN1X

Banned
Really don't care for Star Wars any more and part of me is kind of glad Disney turned it into such a disaster.

It also made me realize how small that 'universe' actually is in terms of concepts and characters. Maybe the books are still decent in that respect but they keep shoehorning in legacy characters into shows or other spin-off films because that's basically the extent of the lore (and the fans' attention spans).

Bragr

Banned
Lost was awesome for one season and completely absurd for the rest. Worst ending in TV history. Remember when they got off the island, then went back? hahahahahaha oh man what a dumb show that was.

But whatever he has done, how many Star Wars movies are in production now? it's wild how Disney is doing the same thing with Marvel and Star Wars, just churning out stuff no matter if it's good or not. It's like a popcorn movie blitzkrieg.

Billbofet

Do they just put rumors out there about random directors working on SW to see what gets traction?!?! I actually enjoy his work, but he is a terrible fit for Star Wars. Someone like Brad Bird. Is that dude in director's jail or something?

Gp1

So Top Gun in the Star Wars universe gets canceled after the Top Gun sequel blows up the box office?!

Let's say that it's a little hard to compete with Top Gun right now.
They are probably rethinking the entire movie to up their game.

Lindelof is a hack who always relies on building a mystery he can't explain to make his stories interesting
J.J Abrams did a fricking TED talk about the thing and people still fall for it

I wish they'd just leave some of these IP's alone. No need to go ruining it any further.

Come up with your own 'Star Wars'. Has Hollywood lost all of its creativity?

Reactions: Gp1

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
You know, I know it wasn't perfectly faithful to the source material, but I really enjoyed The Watchmen, and will eagerly await whatever direction thi- oh fuck, you meant the SHOW?

I'm out.

Yes, let's just erase a generation's Star Wars. If one of those people who grew up with the Prequels being their Star Wars wanted to erase the Original Trilogy and call it fan fiction because it looks like it was made in the 70s and it doesn't make sense for Leia to be kissing her brother for two movies, I'm sure you'd have a problem with that.

oc9TCPi.gif

sol_bad

I wish they'd just leave some of these IP's alone. No need to go ruining it any further.

Come up with your own 'Star Wars'. Has Hollywood lost all of its creativity?

Have a look at all of the high concept sci-fi movies that have released over the last 20 years that aren't a known IP, look at their box office numbers, and you'll have your answer.

Konnor

Leftovers was great though. Hated Lost, haven't seen Watchmen.

Leftovers was fucking annoying, I have no idea why people like that damn show. Some great setups and scenes that eventually go nowhere, nonstop allegorical bullshit that at the final season became just unbearably pretentious and boring, and worst of all the fucking mystery that they didn't even bother to explain. What a bunch of bullshit.

I get it btw, it was to explore the characters and the grief an unexplainable event or loss can cause and they succeeded at that pretty well. That doesn't mean you should basically scam your viewers with bullshit setups you'll never even bother to explain. Lidelof is such an asshole, he has done this a million times.

The soundtrack was fucking great though.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Leftovers was fucking annoying, I have no idea why people like that damn show. Some great setups and scenes that eventually go nowhere, nonstop allegorical bullshit that at the final season became just unbearably pretentious and boring, and worst of all the fucking mystery that they didn't even bother to explain. What a bunch of bullshit.

I get it btw, it was to explore the characters and the grief an explainable event or loss can cause and they succeeded at that pretty well. That doesn't mean you should basically scam your viewers with bullshit setups you'll never even bother to explain. Lidelof is such an asshole, he has done this a million times.

The soundtrack was fucking great though.
Haha, forgot there was more than one season. Only watched the first.

Top Bottom