• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAEMON X MACHINA (Basically Nintendo's ANTHEM)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
as soon as i read online multiplayer i instantly lost all interest.
It has single player as well, complete with own story and cutscenes. Just like Souls series you can choose play this game completely offline. If this was online only like Anthem, I wouldn't have interest in this game.

pimentel1

Banned
Looks badass.

Sorry OP but this

220px-Xenoblade_Chronicles_X_-_Boxart.jpg

Was Nintendo's ANTHEM. Or ANTHEM is Bioware's Xenoblade Chronicles X.

How long did it take to get a mech in XCX?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Very cool thread OP! I thought they only showed that E3 trailer, but I had indeed missed that...

- This is an original Nintendo IP, developed by Marvelous
- They have already shown extensive amounts of gameplay, menus and systems
- The game looks very cool!

Da-Kid

This game is fully single player. You can also have 3 CPU allies if you want. Confirmed in the Gamescom video in the OP.

Also wonder if this will have a PVP mode.

pimentel1

Banned
Towards the middle but still in the beginning. Flying however comes a little later after that.

I played for like two hours and was like, “Where’s muh mech?” So, starting off with a mech, at least in multiplayer mode, don’t know about single player mode, is already a positive for me.

Raph64

This game looks beyond sick. I’m somehow getting Gurren Lagann vibes for some reason.

And this is really good signs, believe me.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Most hyped game in 2019 along with RE2 and Sekiro. When the year is over I believe those three will be my top 3 GOTY contenders.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Maybe it's because the player(s) showing off the game have been mediocre, but I am hoping the movement/dodging is not as sluggish as it appears in these gameplay trailers.

I want to cancel recovery frames, dash in, and pummel someone with my laser sword or rusty steel I-beam.

Looks badass.

How long did it take to get a mech in XCX?

Way too fucking long. You have to be done chapter 6, and though I was not rushing through the game by any means, I was sitting at around 25 hours (my file is at 240 hours). That's just for a transformer like the Formula, to get a flying Skell you need to get pretty much to the end of the game's story. When you get the flying Skells though the game changes completely, as there are entire massive areas of the map that only the flying Skells can reach with super hard creatures to fight. The game has size categories for creatures which the flying skells help with too. The higher category creatures like the kilometer tall dinosaurs can one shot even a max level human, but you can team up in Skells to take them down, the flying Skells aren't hit by stomping style attacks. It takes a lot of time and patience to find the parts for the best Skells and even then, if you have a crappy setup you'll have a destroyed Skell really fast. The game is brutal that way, and there are dozens of hours spent just farming and doing fetch quests/mission board events to even have a chance to get a decent upgrade part, but to me it was worth it. Easily one of my favorte games that nobody I know likes.

I'm not sure how they would handle the map system that worked perfectly on the WiiU, but this game really should be put on the Switch. I think it would lend itself well to portability as there are a lot of things like the map resource management that would lend itself well to a pick up and play system. It would be nice to have a little extra power to even out the frame-rate as well.

Last edited:

Da-Kid

Updated the OP with more information.

You guys need to start paying attention to this game. There isn't a ton of info on it but I will bullet point what has been confirmed so far. It's drastically different from Anthem but fills the same gap.

Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: TBD 2019
No. of Players: 1 - 4 Player (Online & Local Multiplayer)
Category: Action
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Marvelous Inc.

Yes this is a Nintendo game, a new IP. A lot of people do not know this is a new Nintendo IP

Story and World details:

It was the greatest disaster in recorded history. The moon tore apart, turning the sky into a kaleidoscope of red light that illuminated all who watched from below. Half of the moon locked itself into geostationary orbit, while the other half splintered and came plummeting to the planet's surface. Humanity would come to refer to this event as the First Day.

Arsenal is used to refer to "Outer Gears," mechs designed primarily for combat situations. Powered by the quantum material "Femto," these machines are capable of fast travel over land and sky. Arsenals can also be equipped with multiple types of weapons that can be easily swapped mid-battle.

Outers are those who have obtained special abilities through exposure to Femto. As valuable human resources capable of piloting Arsenals, many of these individuals make a living as mercenaries.

Femto is a particulate matter that was scattered across the world after the moon's impact on the First Day. In addition to awakening latent abilities within humanity, Femto also proved to be a tremendously rare and valuable commodity, serving as the trigger for a new war.

Oval territories where open combat is authorized. Ovals were established to both contain the damage caused by the moon's impact, and to keep the remaining populace safe from the conflicts over Femto resources. Within the Ovals, Arsenals and their pilots wage proxy wars on behalf of the powerful.

Arms of Immortal are self-evolving weapons called "Immortals" for short. They were initially developed as robots with artificial intelligence, tasked with restoring the planet. However, they eventually turned on their creators.

Orbital is a neutral organization established to maintain order within Oval. They perform various activities such as monitoring zones and providing assistance as needed. They authorize mercenary activity, as long as they are registered with Orbital.

Four is an artificial intelligence developed by Orbital for navigation. Its official title is "Functional Operator and User Resource." It functions as a partner to Outers, transmitting information and assisting with combat actions.

Reclaimers are a group of mercenaries made up of Outers. Many mercenary squads exist with their own distinct goals and agendas. Each squad has their own specific criteria that must be met before they will acknowledge you and allow you to join them.

-Kenichiro Tsukuda is well known for his work developing the Armored Core series. He and his talented team have developed this brand-new title with the goal of making it "the best mech action game" out there.

-The character designs were created by Yusuke Kozaki, who also worked on the Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Fates games.

-Mech concept designs were created by Mr. Kawamori, who also worked on the Armored Core series and the Super Dimension Fortress Macross series. Mech' are called Arsenal's in this game.

-The player’s avatar (Also know as Outers) is fully customizable with a variety of options. You can also exit out your mech and fight just as your Avatar, but this is risky as you are more vulnerable to attacks. But can preform tactics you couldn't overall in your Arsenal. Like laying traps for example.

You can upgrade your Outer with different augmentations which grant you abilities. These upgrades can change the appearance of your Outer. There's a skill tree for different body parts you can enhance. Arms, Head, Body, Torso/Legs. Enhancements carry over to your Arsenal, though not clear in what way or if it effects the Arsenal differently than the Outer.

-Each Arsenal can be equipped with different weapons on its arms and shoulders. The player can also equip back-up weapons on its back and swap them out during battle. Arsenals can battle freely in the air and on the ground.

-Grab objects in the environment, like cars and street signs, and use them as melee weapons or projectiles!

-Defeated enemies may drop ammo and weapons, which the player can obtain and use on the fly. Also take the weapons from an enemy back to base and make it yours.

You can take boss weapons and bring them to R&D and they will make a version of the powerful boss weapon for you.

-Online and local wireless multiplayer modes will be available in the full game. Also can play Local Co-Op with players with a Switch and the game. Or you can have CPU teammates accompany you Offline.

-Environments are destructible. You can destroy buildings and let them crush enemies. Or take a support beam out of a building, destroying it, then use the support beam as a weapon.

-Weapons so far include Multi-missile launchers, Bazookas, Assault Riffles, Mini Guns, and Swords. No word on any other variations of those.

Da-Kid

I'm not into Mech games but always was intrigued by them, and when I seen this one it really sparked my interest so this game will bey first real dive into Mech games. I don't really count XCX, that just wasn't really the Mech game I would say fits in the genre perse.

quickwhips

I’m excited to revisit Nintendo as my son is almost 4 and I feel they will be our gaming place more many years. Some games to appeal to me will be welcome.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Played the first two missions of the demo and then shelved it. I like it a lot but don't want to play any more to spoil the game. Definitely a game worthy buying. Everything feels right, from the controls to the hangar customization to the anime aesthetic.

Fbh

The demo made this go off the purchase list until I see how the final release performs.

The game itself seems fun, love the aesthetics and customization options and I'm a sucker for mechs. But it felt to me like it was running like absolute crap.
I have no tools to measure it but whenever there was a bit of heavy action it felt like it couldn't be running at more than 25fps, during that mission where you fight the big enemy it was probably below that.

If they can iron out the framerate I'm in. But if it doesn't get a whole lot better I'm out

JohannCK

I like it but the idea of parts only being available as loot drops REALLY bothers me. Some of the controls seem rather iffy too compared to Armored Core.

Weird how Char has a red Arsenal but Amuro's is black.

The demo made this go off the purchase list until I see how the final release performs.

The game itself seems fun, love the aesthetics and customization options and I'm a sucker for mechs. But it felt to me like it was running like absolute crap.
I have no tools to measure it but whenever there was a bit of heavy action it felt like it couldn't be running at more than 25fps, during that mission where you fight the big enemy it was probably below that.

If they can iron out the framerate I'm in. But if it doesn't get a whole lot better I'm out
Sounds like they're staying faithful to AC!

Im surprised nobody mentioned Zone of the Enders, which is the most obvious reference.
It... Really isn't.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
And that's not at all coincidental

As an old fan of AC I can't help but find it very unfortunate that people are looking at this and calling it things like, I kid you not, "Monster Hunter crossed with Gurren Laggan".
Ouch.

I mean, I love MH but that's pretty bad.

It goes to show what can happen to an entire genre (mech sims) when developers stop making them and publishers stop offering them on modern systems. It's a safe bet that most gamers don't even know what Armored Core is, which is sad enough.

JohannCK

I'm just going to link these here

And this has AC staff working on it so it kind of counts I guess (I'm seriously not expecting much at this point)

Ouch.

It goes to show what can happen to an entire genre (mech sims) when developers stop making them and publishers stop offering them on modern systems. It's a safe bet that most gamers don't even know what Armored Core is, which is sad enough.
ACVD was only six years ago, but I guess that's long enough.

Last edited:

Raph64

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen somewhere in a past interview that the developers were aiming to get the game performing at 720-1080p/60fps in the final version.

Last edited:

Fbh

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen somewhere in a past interview that the developers were aiming to get the game performing at 720-1080p/60fps in the final version.

Would be great.
Though I have to say it would be the first time I see a game going from not even hitting 30fps in the Demo to 60fps in the final release

Last edited:

kingbean

The game is a few months out so it's possible they'll get closer to that target.

The art style really lends itself to clean lines, so I hope they get that resolution up.

It looks cool. I just wish it had ERLas and PPC stacking. Gauss rifle stacking would be cool too. Sorry. Got Mechwarrior on the brain. Games are coming out for all three consoles that make me want to buy all of em. It sucks not having enough money to do so.

Hudo

Ouch.

Not as sad as people not even knowing what MechWarrior is... MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (which you can get for free!) are still the best mech-based games ever.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really enjoyed the demo, this basically my dream game.

Last edited:

Makariel

What on earth am I looking at :messenger_open_mouth:

That's a Gundam?
Gundam Build Divers, a very... meta-series about teenagers building plastic Gundam models to fight in virtual arenas. Aimed at kids and teens, but some gif-worthy nonsense happens during these match-ups, like a giant plastic bear fighting a Gundam.

Hudo

Played the first two missions of the demo and then shelved it. I like it a lot but don't want to play any more to spoil the game. Definitely a game worthy buying. Everything feels right, from the controls to the hangar customization to the anime aesthetic.
A "DunDun-SealOfQuality" for the game? Damn, son. I should finally get around and play the demo as well, then!

Top Bottom