• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dad saddled with $20,000 bill after daughter's spending spree on Genshin Impact

supernova8

Banned
"told her off" lol sounds like he's more than wealthy enough to cover it then. If I had a daughter (let alone 18 years old) she would be fucking grounded until the day she dies.

FStubbs

Why? Are you saying the state should stop people from "making mistakes" in a game? Because as I see it, parents should learn some responsability and let those that want to spend thousands on a single F2P game do that as they wish
It's impossible for parents to keep up with all the different ways these game can scam players.

And yes, I'm saying the state should protect its citizens. You know, the #1 purpose of the state existing.

Aenima

The news site says she spent $20,000 over 89 purchases. That's around $224 per purchase.
Any players on Genshin Impact here can enlighten us what that'd get her? Is it all in-game currency or is it costumes and shit?
Its all ingame premium currency. Thers only 2 costumes at the moment, one was given for free the other costs around 20$.
So she blew the load in the gacha.

While Genshin is very F2P friendly, gacha mechanics is basicly gambling and some ppl can get addicted to it.

Whatever. My point is that either way it's parent's fault because they are stupid enough to not prevent this type of stuff from happening when there are countless measures to do it
Maybe he doesn't want prevent transaction s completelly and never thought it's possible to spend so much money so fast. I mean - he obviously didn't expected it at that scale.

Tams

Gold Member
Naïve dad, idiotic (and used) daughter, and a bank that's doing itself no favours by allowing so many of those transactions to go through.

brian0057

Banned
And yes, I'm saying the state should protect its citizens. You know, the #1 purpose of the state existing.
Stupid people making stupid decisions and suffering consequences from said stupidity is no reason to bring an even more evil entity into this.

BlackTron

I doubt that it's possible for that particular family. All around irresponsible behavior. At 18 it's too late to explain something to your child.

If someone is dependent on you, regardless of whether they are 18 or 38, this is how you handle it.

Roxkis_ii

At 18, you know what your doing. If this were my daughter, you can bet your ass I'm talking to a lawyer.

When you play with real life money, there are real life consequences.

I will never have any credit card linked to any device. Websites for fast purchase yes, devices like iphone and playstation hell no.

That daughter is an asshole and the dad is an idiot

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was expecting to read about some 6-year-old going on a microtransaction spending spree and was prepared to call the father an irresponsible dumbass, but 18 years old?! What an idiot. Or a person with psychological issues or intellectual deficiencies perhaps.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's impossible for parents to keep up with all the different ways these game can scam players.

This is something people can and should handle themselves, this is not protecting people, this is controlling what people can and can't do even when they don't harm anyone else, some people won't care about spending that much money for whatever reasons and they don't need "protection"... Why not being more responsible with our children and our money to begin with?

Last edited:

Narasumas

The scary direction these games are going. It shouldn't be legal for you to be able to spent $20,000 on a video game in a month.

Glad he was apparently wealthy enough to shrug it off.
But yet PEGI would rate Pokémon R/B/Y Mature/18+ in today’s world for including the game corner that has fake slot machines (simulated gambling).

WTF?

Last edited:
This is extremely stupid and also someone who's 18 is not an adult unless they were taught how to be one or unless they learned how to be one. You really don't learn that you have to actually be an adult until you're in your mid 30s. Although some people are too stupid to grow up to be adults

This is extremely stupid and also someone who's 18 is not an adult unless they were taught how to be one or unless they learned how to be one. You really don't learn that you have to actually be an adult until you're in your mid 30s. Although some people are too stupid to grow up to be adults
Someone who is 18 is legally an adult, and that is the only thing that matters. Unless she has literal mental problems that made her require medical care and also restricts her rights, she is an adult.

Foolish adults are still adults and have to be made accountable.

Top Bottom