• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dad saddled with $20,000 bill after daughter's spending spree on Genshin Impact

bargeparty

After 20kg of makeup, anyone can look good and get simps.

Belle-Delphine_thefappening2015_com-1.jpg

That's not her

nush

Gold Member
Hey GAF, the article is written as Singapore news, the dad lives in Singapore and they use Singapore dollars. The article does not specifically state USD so the chances are it's Singapore dollars which is "ONLY" $14,830 USD.

Still a lot but not a clickbaity as the article title.

Emedan

Working in the iTunes store I've seen it happen a few times.

I've handled a refund for a similar situation where someones son spent like $8k in a mobile game on an iPhone. The son was rather young so he got his money back.

I also once got a call from some absolute chad who had spend $15k on a dating app as well, I assumed it was a mistake and he wanted the money back - as it turned out he just hadn't gotten his "Gold" status as expected this one time so the guy was fully aware of the money he spent and it was as he wanted it.

Last edited:
Don't let your kid have unrestricted access to your financials with videogames designed to never-endingly take your money. It's like plopping a gambling addict into the middle of Vegas with their credit card, and just saying, "Bye."

MrFunSocks

Banned
If only these devices had ways to require some sort of second authentication before making purchases……..

No different than someone using their dads credit card to buy anything - shoes, clothes, a car. The problem lies with the guilty party and the cc owner.

MrFunSocks

Banned
People need to take responsibility for their actions. No one is forcing you to buy mtx. Should we start regulating how much and what kind of food we eat because some fatties cant control themselves?
This is the best argument and one that no one that wants micro transactions etc banned has a reply to.

Just because something can be addictive or expensive doesn’t mean it should be banned or government regulated. There are people addicted to and spending absurd amounts of money on many, many things that should never be regulated. Like you said - food being the most obvious one.

I don’t buy loot boxes and almost never buy micro transactions, but I don’t believe they should be banned or regulated. I can somehow control myself not to buy a skin I think is nice, why can’t others?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If only these devices had ways to require some sort of second authentication before making purchases……..

No different than someone using their dads credit card to buy anything - shoes, clothes, a car. The problem lies with the guilty party and the cc owner.
That assumes you think video games companies actually care about security and unwanted purchases spending $20k on their dad's CC.

And software companies have the upper hand because games (disc or digital) have a no refund policy as the first rule. They may bend if you complain enough for a refund (Doesnt Steam have a 2 hr rule? Although I'm not sure if that extends to DLC and mtx too), but it's a different ballgame vs. a dopey kid buying a $2000 laptop from Costco where the parent can just refund it the next day no problem.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
That assumes you think video games companies actually care about security and unwanted purchases spending $20k on their dad's CC.

And software companies have the upper hand because games (disc or digital) have a no refund policy as the first rule. They may bend if you complain enough for a refund (Doesnt Steam have a 2 hr rule? Although I'm not sure if that extends to DLC and mtx too), but it's a different ballgame vs. a dopey kid buying a $2000 laptop from Costco where the parent can just refund it the next day no problem.
Sony, Microsoft, apple, and google all have payment settings to require verification to make any purchases.

kingfey

Banned
People need to take responsibility for their actions. No one is forcing you to buy mtx. Should we start regulating how much and what kind of food we eat because some fatties cant control themselves?
Sometimes, things become addicted, if you gave it a value.
I spent around 120$ on fut as of now. Luckily, I have self control, or else, I would have spent 50$ per 2 weeks in the game.
The cheap price makes it value. And the more you buy it, the more it messes your brain. So you start buying packs nonstop.

I played mobile games, and I know how dangerous these mtx can get. All they do is get you addicted to opening packs, and next you know it, you are spending 50$ to 100$ in the game, like it's normal.

Its the addiction, that makes it worse. And it's hard to control the urge.

Think of it like a gamble. Once you start gambling, it's hard to stop. That is what mtx does to people. People with low self control, will spend 100k grand easily.

Reizo Ryuu

They may bend if you complain enough for a refund (Doesnt Steam have a 2 hr rule? Although I'm not sure if that extends to DLC and mtx too)
Steam has a 14 day return policy, just like uplay and origin (in fact origin was the first one to offer refunds at all)
the 2 hours window is play time, so if you've played more than two hours you can't ask for a refund anymore.
Same applies for DLC (unless it's the kind that gets "consumed" by the game). In-game purchases, in supported games, can be refunded for up to 48 hours, unless consumed.
Origin allows refunds up to 24 hours if you've launched the game, so you could technically play through an entire short game and still refund it.
Uplay doesn't allow refunds for launched games.

Last edited:

I_D

Just for continuity's sake, this game also isn't a scam.

It's incredibly stupid for people to spend this level of money on a game, but it's still not a scam.

I've never played the game, but - as far as I can tell from a cursory glance - this game makes every purchase clearly obvious and non-scammy.

Anybody who spends money in this game is an idiot, but they're at least not being scammed.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why on the earth would you ever link a card with that kind of credit limit to your kid? Even just for security reasons.......
Also clearly she knew exactly what she was doing........sounds like someone doesn't like thier parents much or they or so rich they didn't think it would matter.....

CSJ

I knew someone who had to make sure they had enough money left for food, to buy Genshin stuff.
It's a sad state of affairs.

oh look it's this story again. people never learn do they? it's the stupid dad's fault but here he is out in the media looking for attention and sympathy. be a better parent and don't let your kid have easy access to cards if they aren't responsible enough. that's up to you to decide since you're meant to be the parent. oh and maybe be more responsible yourself with your finances. 89 transactions went through and he didn't notice until the bank phoned him? GTFO.

since they are both adults i think he should be made to pay it all and she should be giving him the money back.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
You're either very young, or very naive about how easy it is to navigate tech and services you are not at sll familiar with.

Parents struggle with this a lot. It's just very confusing for a lot of people, especially whrn nobody tells you iy could be a problem before it's too late.

The younger generation of parents will deal with this much better since they grew up with it. But even they will face challenges when new tech develops.

The problem here is a lack of information. Companies should be held accountable, and there should be limits to how much could be spent unless you consent to more charges.
Ehh what?

Is it so hard not the add your credit card info into payment methods or click the option "don't remember it?"

That's the easiest option. If you are more "advanced" you can set up restrictions around how much your child can spend and on what type of content.

Yes, that's true that I'm not that old (even if i have 2 kids), but I would never put my credit card info somewhere where everybody can use it however they like. And older folks should have at least this knowledge. If they are able to check their bank account through internet or able to check their emails, they should be able to do that...

SkylineRKR

She's an adult? Even more stupid then. Why is she even authed to use his bank account in the first place, he should've removed her. This reads like a typical case of a guy being wealthy enough and not really paying attention to whats going on.

If I needed some cash, my parents would transfer something over.

Batiman

Banned
My son loves games but thank god he’s not into all this gaas cash gouging games. He has the ability to spend shit if he wanted to but I know he would never spend my money without permission. If I knew he was hooked on these games then I know I’d have to be careful because they’re designed to make you want to steal money from your parents. It’s like a gambling addiction for kids. It’s happened to 2 of my nephews that are hooked on fortnite skins.

Michele

you.
Given that the article requires you to FUCKING PAY to view all, I'll share some details that were somehow missed to give more content. The dad did get around 10k dollars back, which the bank says was done out of goodwill. I don't think it was by chargeback. And yes, it's true that he made a mistake, but at least he learned his freaking lesson now.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I know that kids don't know what they are doing many times, but Jesus Christ, parents are just stupid.
Either remove your card from payment methods or just set up spending limits through consoles...it's not that hard...
I agree, but here it was linked to another app used to pay for transportation. Unfortunately IAP will always be predatory in nature, companies will always try to form partnerships as to enable more and more payment methods hoping that they get a hit on one of them with target demographic.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
And yes, it's true that he made a mistake, but at least he learned his freaking lesson now.
Yes, he made a mistake but since when we are in social Darwinism stage that people are forbidden to make them? The bank knew it was shit charge, the dad knew, just cancel it and move on. Daughter should on the other hand have all her credit cards taken away, if she wants to buy something she finds her own money, she’s an adult now.

PJX

Whatever. My point is that either way it's parent's fault because they are stupid enough to not prevent this type of stuff from happening when there are countless measures to do it
My 9 year old daughter has been playing Roblox since she was 6 years old. She knows better not to buy something off there without asking me first. So in this case, it wasn't the parents fault but the dumb 18 year old "child".

MrFunSocks

Banned
My 9 year old daughter has been playing Roblox since she was 6 years old. She knows better not to buy something off there without asking me first. So in this case, it wasn't the parents fault but the dumb 18 year old "child".
it’s the parents fault as well because there are simple things made specifically to prevent this. It’s their card, they’re ultimately responsible for it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I agree, but here it was linked to another app used to pay for transportation. Unfortunately IAP will always be predatory in nature, companies will always try to form partnerships as to enable more and more payment methods hoping that they get a hit on one of them with target demographic.
Another person who doesn’t know what predatory means but thinks optional purchases are it lol.

brian0057

Banned
It ruins people's life.
A family member of yours, might be impacted with this. You have no idea about it, until you see the numbers.
If a family member is scammed, robbed, or defrauded by some scheme or asshole, I'll support them 100%.

If they gamble their life savings away, I have no pity for them. They knew the rules and the risks, and still chose to engage with it.

kingfey

Banned
If a family member is scammed, robbed, or defrauded by some scheme or asshole, I'll support them 100%.

If they gamble their life savings away, I have no pity for them. They knew the rules and the risks, and still chose to engage with it.
Its easy to say that online, than real life.
Real life has actual consequences. And its not like its easy to spend with these tactics. They get you addicted to it. That is worse, than just losing money.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This proves these games are fucking awful. They should put a limit on how much they can swindle from people in a time period, but they don't because feeding off people's addiction is to their benefit. It doesn't matter if they people know better, these games are built to exploit weakness, not to provide value. They are a disease.

BlackM1st

Banned
provide value
What "value" does any game provide? Besides the entertainment endorphin rush?

Girl probably wanted hero constellations and a lot of premium weapons.

It's possible to get them only through gambling with real money. For her it was worth it. She saw value in it.

Some see value in rare Diablo 2 loot and play for 100s of hours to get the God roll. Same results, same "value" , different means of getting it.

Your daughter spends $20,000 on video games or your son sleeps with a waifu pillow every night.....which do u choose?
Move to south, get em married. Not my problem anymore.

BlackTron

I wonder if he even confiscated the hardware to play the game from her, or maybe she just got a very stern lecture.

BlackTron

Genshin Impact is the true cross-platform game. It's everywhere. PC, PS, iOS, Android.

I know. That's why I said "the hardware" because it could have been anything.

I mean, put it this way. If she was playing on a PS4, I'd have taken the PS4 and then saddled her with a weak smartphone that can't run the game, or even a flip phone.

BlackM1st

Banned
I know. That's why I said "the hardware" because it could have been anything.

I mean, put it this way. If she was playing on a PS4, I'd have taken the PS4 and then saddled her with a weak smartphone that can't run the game, or even a flip phone.
I doubt that it's possible for that particular family. All around irresponsible behavior. At 18 it's too late to explain something to your child.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The scary direction these games are going. It shouldn't be legal for you to be able to spent $20,000 on a video game in a month.

Glad he was apparently wealthy enough to shrug it off.
Why? Are you saying the state should stop people from "making mistakes" in a game? Because as I see it, parents should learn some responsability and let those that want to spend thousands on a single F2P game do that as they wish

PJX

it’s the parents fault as well because there are simple things made specifically to prevent this. It’s their card, they’re ultimately responsible for it.
Well I guess it's their fault for trusting their 18 year old daughter.

Top Bottom