• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dad gets nearly $8,000 bill after son racks up charges from microtransactions in FIFA

MUnited83

For you.
Thanks that's an excellent reason, problem solved guys!

I'm pretty sure in real life you are able to swap cards with your friends to fill in the blanks in your collection, can you do this on FIFA? I don't think so.

Is there a place on the Fifa marketplaace where you can get exactly the cards/players you need? I don't think so.

Even though I don't support these random packs in real life I can see why they exist and the format is less about explitation. Atleast these companies are actually spending money getting these cards produced which can explain some of these costs, why the hell are EA charging $8.00 for a random spin of the dice that isn't costing them any money at all? Even if this shit was free it might take months or years to get everything you need, why are consumers being subjected to these kinds of practices? What if your whole life was soccer and Fifa was the only game you ever played, don't you think you too would want a full roster of all the players? Why shouldn't you be able to collect them all? I'm sure even after spending $8k this kid didn't have everything he wanted out of the game.....this is the part that I can't believe even exists...how the fuck can you spend $8k on a game and still not have everything?!?!? How can people not see what is wrong with this setup?

Bullshit! I bet you don't know a single person that would be dumb enough to spend $8k on this crap. Also this game isn't made for 'rich bastards only' so there is no way this scenario should even be occurring.

LOL. At least research a bit man.
"Is there a place on the Fifa marketplaace where you can get exactly the cards/players you need"
Yes, there is.

" Bullshit! I bet you don't know a single person that would be dumb enough to spend $8k on this crap. Also this game isn't made for 'rich bastards only' so there is no way this scenario should even be occurring"
So fucking what? Does me not knowing any millionaires means that millionaires don't exist? Fucking LOL!!!!
I do guarantee you though: people have spent $8k and LOTS MORE on this, knowing fully well how much they were spending and they didn't have a single issue doing so.

Beefy

Thanks that's an excellent reason, problem solved guys!

I'm pretty sure in real life you are able to swap cards with your friends to fill in the blanks in your collection, can you do this on FIFA? I don't think so. Is there a place on the Fifa marketplaace where you can get exactly the cards/players you need? I don't think so

There is a marketplace were you can buy any player you want. The problem is this is locked behind FIFA coins. You earn FIFA points by winning matches, going up a division, selling player cards etc etc. But as you guess the coins earned are little compared to the costs of the cards or (random) card packs. Due to this EA created FIFA points which cost real money to buy. FIFA points can only be use in purchasing (random) card packs and not just a single card. The thing is a mess but it's how EA make their cash.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There is a marketplace were you can buy any player you want. The problem is this is locked behind FIFA coins. You earn FIFA points by winning matches, going up a division, selling player cards etc etc. But as you guess the coins earned are little compared to the costs of the cards or (random) card packs. Due to this EA created FIFA points which cost real money to buy. FIFA points can only be use in purchasing (random) card packs and not just a single card. The thing is a mess but it's how EA make their cash.

So basically the game also reward you these points for being good in the game if you don't want to buy them.

problem solved guys.

LOL. At least research a bit man.

Yes, there is.

Looks like you the one that needs to do the research, atleast undestand the question before you try making up answers to it.

So fucking what? Does me not knowing any millionaires means that millionaires don't exist? Fucking LOL!!!!
I do guarantee you though: people have spent $8k and LOTS MORE on this, knowing fully well how much they were spending and they didn't have a single issue doing so.

You don't know anyone that has spent this money knowingly yet you can 'guarantee it' FUCKING LOL!! And just because there are 1 or 2, hell even 10 people out there willing to do this doesn't mean that we should be catering to it. I can guarantee you that no one would rather spend $8k than not and that is fact. I don't think you are giving rich people/millionaires enough credit, they probably work harder than you for money so they are less likely to blow it on dumb shit.

MUnited83

For you.
Looks like you the one that needs to do the research. Atleast undestand the question before you try making up answers to it.

You don't know anyone that has spent this money knowingly yet you can 'guarantee it FUCKING LOL!! And just because there are 1 or 2, hell even 10 people out there willing to do this doesn't mean that we should be catering to it. I can guarantee you that no one would rather spend $8k than not and that is fact. I don't think you are giving rich people/millionaires enough credit, they probably work harder than you for money so they are less likely to blow it on dumb shit.

You asked if there's a place on the marketplace where you can buy specific players. There is. The currency situation is irrelevant.

If you really think no people spend 8k$ then you really should step up your research about Fifa trading.
And lol @ both the ad hominem and assuming I buy Fifa points. And claiming rich people never make dumb purchases. It's fucking hilarious. Yes, no rich people ever spent money in micro transactions. You are a goddamn genius!

Willing buyer, willing seller. there are more enough safeguard measures at both the credit card and xbox side to implement your spending limit. There's simply no excuse for failing to set a spending limit on your credit card when you apply it.

The price tag is there. The comfirmation prompt is there. There isn't any scam here.

From what I'm reading from people, its a deceptive practice because they don't cut you off after awhile and tell you that you're done.

DrunkDan

So basically the game also reward you these points for being good in the game if you don't want to buy them.

problem solved guys.

Except the top players can cost millions of coins - and you typically earn around 500-900 coins per game. That's where the attraction of opening packs comes from, trying to win a player that you have almost no chance of buying from the transfer market.

EA tried an approach to make it more feasible to get the better players (price ranges to prevent inflated prices) but the top players are still out of reach. It's a deliberate model to encourage the purchasing of FIFA points. They even stopped players' team names from showing in the market and added price caps to prevent players from selling players to each other - thus stopping coin sellers. Coin sellers meant people could buy coins directly from various sites and getting the actual players they wanted instead of gambling with the contents of packs. Its not quite as straightforward as some would believe.

Please remember, FIFA is a full priced game that has stupid microtransactions wrapped around a mode designed to force you to pay for them. If there's charges on a bill for that amount, then it's safe to say that there's a deeper issue here and that's the fact that we're allowing people to, effectively, gamble through their consoles, because that's what it is. You have no gurantee of getting the players you want in those packs and, often, they're completely useless and there's no system in place to stop people spending thousands. I will never blame anyone other than the company in these scenarios because of their poorly designed game.

Please remember, FIFA is a full priced game that has stupid microtransactions wrapped around a mode designed to force you to pay for them. If there's charges on a bill for that amount, then it's safe to say that there's a deeper issue here and that's the fact that we're allowing people to, effectively, gamble through their consoles, because that's what it is. You have no gurantee of getting the players you want in those packs and, often, they're completely useless and there's no system in place to stop people spending thousands. I will never blame anyone other than the company in these scenarios because of their poorly designed game.

So does that mean that all sports and comic book stores that have ever existed have actually been allowing children to gamble this whole time?

Man, someone should really put a stop to that. It's so deceptive.

Gianna31

Banned
Lol at people blaming the kid. Maybe if the father acted more like a father none of this would have happened in the first place. You give a 17 year old a CC your ass is going to get rated.

So does that mean that all sports and comic book stores that have ever existed have actually been allowing children to gamble this whole time?

Man, someone should really put a stop to that. It's so deceptive.
There's an obvious difference between a physical item that can be collected and paying money to unlock something you already own based or arbitrary requirementd that are designed to get you spending money.

2iMBXuO.gif

$8,000 !? that's $142k Mexican pesos!!!

That kid knew exactly what he was doing and neither EA or Microsoft should refund anything

MUnited83

For you.
Lol at people blaming the kid. Maybe if the father acted more like a father none of this would have happened in the first place. You give a 17 year old a CC your ass is going to get rated.

People are rightfully blaming both of them, not just the kid. The kid because he is fucking 17 year old and knows damn hell what he was doing, and the father for giving a 17 year old kid a credit card with >8k limit and never checking his transactions.

There's an obvious difference between a physical item that can be collected and paying money to unlock something you already own based or arbitrary requirementd that are designed to get you spending money.

Really? Other than the fact that one is a physical item and the other is not, it's still about paying money to collect items in hopes of finding a valuable one.

Memnoch

On the positive side $8000 CDN is only about $6.50 US right now.
LOL nice. I live in Pembroke and have met the dad. He has a convenience store and a few years back I taught the mom in one of my college classes. Decent family and he is a relatively intelligent bussinessman. The son is full of it.

This is why EA is never going to make it so you can get actual good players in Ultimate team. I used to be addicted to hockey ultimate team. Now I don't even touch it because I know it's not worth it. Oh well.

Top Bottom