• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D’s Dinner Table; one last secret solved 25 years later! Plus condom, seed and airplane stories!

VGEsoterica

Lol if you clicked to hear the condom story don’t worry...I’ll get there!

Kenji Eno and WARP always made amazing games even if they were unlike any other games on the market. When everyone went right Eno and Warp went left.

the original D was an awesome example of that; a super original horror title for sure. The story is to get the content past censors Eno purposely delivered the master copy late and switched the discs by hand in an airplane before delivering it...hoping nobody would check upon delivery. Well it worked and he snuck some scenes past the censors at 3DO.

but the director’s cut of the game always had two menu options they were greyed out and couldn’t be selected. Clearly there was some way to access them?

Without spoiling too much you have to find certain secrets in the first revision of D AS WELL AS a secret code contained within the games packaging. Then you have to figure out where to input it, get a secret save file...and move on to the Directors Cut and solve more puzzles and dismantle more game cases.

Finally cracked the code this week, and as far as I can tell nobody has ever figured the whole thing out. Well maybe someone in Japan has but if they did I can’t find any mention of it!

Eno used a similar trick in D2 for the Dreamcast, playing with save files to unlock an FMV movie from the 3DO M2 version of D2.

But would you expect anything less from the guy who packed condoms into his games? True story...Short Warp came with a packed in prophylactic! And Kaze No Regret came with a packet of seeds you can plant and grow. I still have the seeds all these years later and sometimes I feel like trying to plant them...would they grow?

I miss WARP and Kenji Eno. A strange developer making strange games they went against the grain of everything else being done around them.

any other fans of D/D2 here? Or free condoms? Lol. That’s one old item I WOULDNT try and use!

good lord, I remember this. have a friend who actually played it back then and I only knew about the game a little. was not all that interested in it since I don't have the console but I've always knew about how interesting it was. glad to see that people actually find out these secrets after all these years.

VGEsoterica

good lord, I remember this. have a friend who actually played it back then and I only knew about the game a little. was not all that interested in it since I don't have the console but I've always knew about how interesting it was. glad to see that people actually find out these secrets after all these years.

D is one of those games that people have either never played or absolutely love. I am obviously in the love camp. Finding something new all these years later was a ton of fun

Airola

I wanted this game so bad for the PS1 back in the day but never got it.
Now I have it on Steam and quickly tried to play it and was encountered with quite a clunky type of gameplay which requires a lot of more time and patience than I at that moment had. Will get back to it someday.

What comes to the subject of this thread, I love stuff like this! Great job!

VGEsoterica

I wanted this game so bad for the PS1 back in the day but never got it.
Now I have it on Steam and quickly tried to play it and was encountered with quite a clunky type of gameplay which requires a lot of more time and patience than I at that moment had. Will get back to it someday.

What comes to the subject of this thread, I love stuff like this! Great job!

hang with the game. It’s a rough start due to its age but once you get some momentum going it becomes quite the experience

Jtibh

Banned
All i remember from this game that you had 2 hours to finish it all in real time or you died.

But i must say i enjoyed mansion of hidden souls more.

VGEsoterica

All i remember from this game that you had 2 hours to finish it all in real time or you died.

But i must say i enjoyed mansion of hidden souls more.

yep. Two hours and three hints with the compact mirror. But once you get a feel for it it’s not too hard. I love the “single sitting” feel of the game. Turn it on...play...finish. No saves

Kenpachii

Probably got datamined, then traced back and figured out.

Last edited:

Deft Beck

Very good video, VGE. I know of Eno's story but I haven't actually played any of his games...still, he was an auter worth remembering.

Top Bottom