• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 sold 13 mln copies on all platforms ( number of refunds has been taken into accounts)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No surprise at all it did these numbers. Nevermind preorders, there are ppl who specifically upgraded or bought gaming PC's/bought new vidcards just to play this one game. When you're that deep into Sunk Cost Fallacy™, you're in to the bitter end.

Fortunately this is CDPR and they do have a track record of properly fixing their shit, so its not going to remain a total mess. Give it a year and nobody will even remember the bugs... give it 2 years and a couple of major content expansions like Witcher 3 got, and all you're going to hear is praise.

After all, who here actually remembers how buggy Witcher 3 was on release, or even cares anymore that it WAS buggy?
Totally.

I actually cant wait to play 2077 next year when I get a Series X. It'll be patched more so and the actual next gen patch will be out. It's a SP game, who cares about being a day one gamer?

These no MP leaderboards, learning the maps or missing out online sports leagues.

And by the time the game is really really really polished years from now, the MP mode will be out (they said 2022 at the earliest) which is good because playing the SP now and playing the MP 2 years from now is a big gap.

klosos

Great ,am loving it. Night City is the most engrossing open World ever in gaming (IMO), ill drive around just looking at buildings then pressing N to bring up photo mode and taking pictures I have never done that in any game.

Getting double jump implant and traversing the city is a joy ( Parkour is great) lots more i could go into as well . My game of the year by a country mile.

Anyway gamers accepted horse armour 15 years ago and numerous broken releases on all platforms , you accept microtranscations , XP boosts in single player games. this controversy will blow over like everything in the industry because the customers are fickle and full of shit ( remember modern Warfare 2 give us dedicated servers or we boycott LOL ) , and the time Witcher 4 gets released that will sell great numbers to (ill pre-order W4 like CP2077 with no regrets)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Great ,am loving it. Night City is the most engrossing open World ever in gaming (IMO), ill drive around just looking at buildings then pressing N to bring up photo mode and taking pictures I have never done that in any game.

Getting double jump implant and traversing the city is a joy ( Parkour is great) lots more i could go into as well . My game of the year by a country mile.

Anyway gamers accepted horse armour 15 years ago and numerous broken releases on all platforms , you accept microtranscations , XP boosts in single player games. this controversy will blow over like everything in the industry because the customers are fickle and full of shit ( remember modern Warfare 2 give us dedicated servers or we boycott LOL ) , and the time Witcher 4 gets released that will sell great numbers to (ill pre-order W4 like CP2077 with no regrets)
Every year the scoreboard says this:

Marketing Department: 1
Gamers: 0

KaKaRi

I thought internet said it failed!?
Lolzz... im 40hrs in and still in act2... just so much to do!

btw, start watching TagBackTV on youtube for all your tips, trick and hacks! Because of his videos, i have spend the last 3 days just getting legendary loot, super cars and i am now a cyber millionaire

I totally think this is a load of shit. 13 milliion sales, deffo - but to say it also includes all the refunds? I doubt they have that data already considering the amount of different distribution outlets ie MS Store, Steam, Epic, GOG, Sony - to name the online ones... then all the stores taking refunds.
Heck it has been a week and they still haven't refunded my GOG purchase, so I know they are telling porkies.

KaKaRi

I totally think this is a load of shit. 13 milliion sales, deffo - but to say it also includes all the refunds? I doubt they have that data already considering the amount of different distribution outlets ie MS Store, Steam, Epic, GOG, Sony - to name the online ones... then all the stores taking refunds.
Heck it has been a week and they still haven't refunded my GOG purchase, so I know they are telling porkies.
We are not in the 80s... for sure IT systems are connected in some form to provide quick and live global sales estimates.

however, i wont be surprised if they used some kind of creative accounting to convince their investors of the game success

FunkMiller

So, we’re just going to believe what the company who blatantly lied about their game are saying about their game’s sales, are we?

MMaRsu

Banned
they hyped it up as being the best open world since sliced bread. They fucked up and should have canned the last gen versions 2 years ago. Instead they decided to hide the version from reviewers and deceive people from a version of the game that runs at 15fps. Laughable really. Sony did the right thing removing this, but they are to blame for even certifying it in the first place also. They’ve lost face from this. It’s great on PS5 but still buggy AF.

Yall need to stop cryin and say they were hiding the ps4 ver.

They didnt hide shit, pubs always send out the best version for review.

FunkMiller

Joke poster, do not engage, it seems no matter the sub-forum his takes are just epic trolls

Oh, do be quiet, you conspiracy theory loon.

Perfectly reasonable to question the veracity of what CDPR are saying now, when they‘ve been issuing falsehoods so much in the recent past.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Tossing around the conspiracy theory label while claiming CDPR are lying to their shareholders... good stuff here.

Yea, debating over the honesty of CDPR is exactly the same as your anti vax, Bible bashing bullcrap, son.

...oh, why the hell am I engaging? Off you to ignore with the rest of the conspiracy theory nutjobs on this forum.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So, we’re just going to believe what the company who blatantly lied about their game are saying about their game’s sales, are we?

This is different - CDPR is a public company and sales volume is important to measure business performance. If they are found out to lie here they can be prosecuted. This is different than their statements about the game, where they never claimed the game is e.g. free of bugs. Their most famous statement that the game runs 'surprisingly well' on base PS4 / XBONE is subjective and qualitative in nature.

Of course the 13 mln inc. refunds is at that point in time, sometime this week or late last week. These numbers could have changed. Also they do not list the total number of refunds once again not to spook the investors.

Yea, debating over the honesty of CDPR is exactly the same as your anti vax, Bible bashing bullcrap, son.

...oh, why the hell am I engaging? Off you to ignore with the rest of the conspiracy theory nutjobs on this forum.

"They lied once, they can lie again" - person who implicitly believes the government has his best interest at heart

Oh, do be quiet, you conspiracy theory loon.

Perfectly reasonable to question the veracity of what CDPR are saying now, when they‘ve been issuing falsehoods so much in the recent past.

It's always, always refreshing witnessing as you yet again deliver a powerful practical lesson on civility. It's the nth time you do it. But, hey!, "tranny" requires you to deliver an irate speech on manners.

So he's a "conspiracy theorist loon", but you're here suggesting CD Projekt RED is involved in a conspiracy to mislead investors and gamers by tampering with the sales figures?

Ah.
That centrism of yours might be off-centre.

Do you have evidence they're lying? A hint? Let me hear it. What would be the legal consequences of a publicly traded company publishing fake numbers?

You routinely post inane takes. Should my default assumption be you'll always drop inane takes?

Never change Mr. FunkMIller.

I cannot think of a more vivid daily reminder of the pitiful state a considerable part of the mainstream centre-left is in.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

Do you know hoe publicly traded companies work?

disap.ed

The game is good but it feels like tons of features were cut and all that's left is a good but mostly linear story. I'm not sure it deserves so many sales. The open world itself is shallow and empty.
I think the shitty last-gen CPUs just aren't up to the ambition the devs initially had. Unfortunately they went the route to cut back features and not cancel PS4/XBone versions.

K.S v2.0

Banned

Not sure if it was you I said this to or someone else in the OT, but if you think double jump is great... just wait till you get hover jets :messenger_sunglasses:

klosos

Not sure if it was you I said this to or someone else in the OT, but if you think double jump is great... just wait till you get hover jets :messenger_sunglasses:
Hover Jets ? or do you mean in future DLC ?

I see your Avatar and am not sure how to take it , Truth or Joking

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This is different - CDPR is a public company and sales volume is important to measure business performance. If they are found out to lie here they can be prosecuted. This is different than their statements about the game, where they never claimed the game is e.g. free of bugs. Their most famous statement that the game runs 'surprisingly well' on base PS4 / XBONE is subjective and qualitative in nature.

Of course the 13 mln inc. refunds is at that point in time, sometime this week or late last week. These numbers could have changed. Also they do not list the total number of refunds once again not to spook the investors.

They are indeed public, but if you don’t believe public companies obfuscate and take part in creative accounting, I don’t know what to tell you.

Concern

13 million and thats that its buggy af lol. Talk about pouring salt in the wound of poor fanboys shitposting every CP2077 thread.

CDPR right now
money crying GIF

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
13 million and thats that its buggy af lol. Talk about pouring salt in the wound of poor fanboys shitposting every CP2077 thread.

CDPR right now
money crying GIF

If you have shares great, else we are down to celebrate a rush to release the Xbox One and PS4 without offering a single base console preview as the company knew they had shitty performance. What are we celebrating exactly? Oh yes, the usual “it upsets people like you (that are not happy about how the game released, marketing build up and all)”.

They are indeed public, but if you don’t believe public companies obfuscate and take part in creative accounting, I don’t know what to tell you.

Evidence is required. Or a hint. Something. Anything. Anything beyond your hollow innuendo. Or is that too much to ask?

For example, let's look at some possible penalties for tampering with figures (source).

"What are the reporting obligations of companies listed on the stock exchange in Poland?"

"According to the Act on Public Offering, disclosing untrue data or concealing the true data, where the disclosure or concealment of data significantly influences the information content, is liable to a fine of up to PLN 5 million and to imprisonment for a term from 6 months to 5 years."

s-bojan

Banned
If you have shares great, else we are down to celebrate a rush to release the Xbox One and PS4 without offering a single base console preview as the company knew they had shitty performance. What are we celebrating exactly? Oh yes, the usual “it upsets people like you (that are not happy about how the game released, marketing build up and all)”.
I like seeing some good news after all the bad press (that the game did deserve) and reactions on forums and social media.
2077 is my GOTY by a long shot and I want this IP to be successful.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

We're celebrating that a great game (on PC) is getting great sales.

FunkMiller

lol they're just stating facts, you can't go and lie about sales when you have shares traded on the public market.

Again, if you don’t think publicly traded companies take part in a lot of creative accounting and number massaging to please investors, I don’t know what to tell you... especially when it comes to a company like CDPR who obviously have zero issues with lying outright if they can get away with it.

Why do people worship this company? The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, but this constant need to defend a video games company that doesn’t give a shit about you is just plain weird. Is it a PC master race, console war thing?

Last edited:

artsi

Again, if you don’t think publicly traded companies take part in a lot of creative accounting and number massaging to please investors, I don’t k ow what to tell you... especially when it comes to a company like CDPR who obviously have zero issues with lying outright if they can get away with it.

Why do people worship this company? The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, but this constant need to defend a video games company that doesn’t give a shit about you is just plain weird.

No I don't think that owners would risk jail time over fabricating a hard sales figure that can be easily verified by accounting.

13 million is the number, you don't need to like it or CDPR. But that's the number.

Edgelord79

Gold Member

Not with a publically traded company. Consequences would be severe. It doesn't work that way.

CDPR defence force... ACTIVATE!

power rangers dancing GIF

Seriously though, gang... celebrating the fact a corporation blatantly lied to customers to gain huge profits really isn’t something to be cheering about.

"Huge profits"?
Weren't they lying about sales figures?
So Which is it?

Were they lying and they don't have "huge profits" to report, or they do have huge profits to report and they weren't lying?

Can you make up your mind? Can you stay consistent within, say, 30 minutes?

How appropriate you would misuse the new forum functionality to illustrate the point, which was already crystal clear: you made insinuations you can't back up and, instead of recognizing your mistake, are here doubling down and labelling others as "CDPR defence team".

In other words, Funkmiller being Funkmiller.

Tough luck.

Last edited:

Concern

I have no horse here since I don't have the game. But seeing the same people crying in every threa thread triggered by this is great. Going as far as even suggesting they're lying about the numbers 🤣🤣🤣.

Plenty of broken games have come and gone. This is no different, man the fuck up, cut your losses and move the fuck on. Its like most people only like coming here to bitch or complain.

xacto

POLISH https://www.cdprojekt.com/pl/inwest...dMOxv_hCY0ffR_j8pW_4YTZZhf_DxnZ9Sb1s61rywXTXw

Pretty good considering world wide shitstorm, refunds, ps store withdrawal and bad press but yeah, it's not near GTA levels. At least memes and bugs compilations are the best thing that happened in 2020

What we take away from this all? No matter how you mislead your customers and no matter how broken your game is, people will lap it up anyway.

Nothing will change.

lol they're just stating facts, you can't go and lie about sales when you have shares traded on the public market.
I mean... they lied TO INVESTORS about the performance of the game on base consoles, plus they lied about it being “finished” and “just needing polish” back in Jan (something which employees at CDPR confirmed as false to Jason Schrier). Due to this, they’re now facing a potential class action lawsuit from investors.

Also, I wouldn’t necessarily say they are lying about sales, but I imagine there might have been some creative accounting with the refunds deducted to make the number appear better in an attempt to calm the stock market. For example, a huge amount of people on PlayStation haven’t had their refund yet and apparently nobody has yet on GOG.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well yeah, I think this game was as hyped as RDR2.

These sales are expected, but unlike RDR2, the launch has been marred by a disastrous reception.

CDPR defence force... ACTIVATE!

power rangers dancing GIF

Seriously though, gang... celebrating the fact a corporation blatantly lied to customers to gain huge profits really isn’t something to be cheering about.

I am celebrating the fact this amazing game is doing hot numbers. The future of my favourite developer, who makes the best written, bravest, most soulful and emotionally resonant, light-hearted, humane and technologically ambitious games, is safe. There is justice in the world.

The last time I was this obsessed with a game was Witcher 3, and before that The Last of Us, and before that Dark Souls. These games don’t come along often.

artsi

I mean... they lied TO INVESTORS about the performance of the game on base consoles, plus they lied about it being “finished” and “just needing polish” back in Jan (something which employees at CDPR confirmed as false to Jason Schrier). Due to this, they’re now facing a potential class action lawsuit from investors.

Also, I wouldn’t necessarily say they are lying about sales, but I imagine there might have been some creative accounting with the refunds deducted to make the number appear better in an attempt to calm the stock market. For example, a huge amount of people on PlayStation haven’t had their refund yet and apparently nobody has yet on GOG.

Misleading marketing is a gray area, which might lead to some kind of compensation (or not).
But fabricating a hard sales number which is a direct performance indicator, in investor relations press release?

That's jail time.

No executive is going to risk that.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I have no horse here since I don't have the game. But seeing the same people crying in every threa thread triggered by this is great. Going as far as even suggesting they're lying about the numbers 🤣🤣🤣.

Plenty of broken games have come and gone. This is no different, man the fuck up, cut your losses and move the fuck on. Its like most people only like coming here to bitch or complain.
You mean you aren't in awe of the ethical superiority of these posters? The ones that come into every Cyberpunk thread and argue with every fiber of their being between what is right and what is wrong? The ones that make people who may be enjoying it embarrassed for doing so?

/s

Top Bottom