• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 sold 13 mln copies on all platforms ( number of refunds has been taken into accounts)

decisions

lol that's pretty insane. I refunded my purchase and lost all my respect for CDPR (then again I am more mad at gaming journalists than CDPR themselves for agreeing to CDPR's ridiculous terms of spitting praise over handpicked footage provided by the developer), but hey I guess their strategy was financially worth it.

Last edited:
lol that's pretty insane. I refunded my purchase and lost all my respect for CDPR (then again I am more mad at gaming journalists than CDPR themselves for agreeing to CDPR's ridiculous terms of spitting praise over handpicked footage provided by the developer), but hey I guess their strategy was financially worth it.

It's not handpicked footage. They simply all played the PC version.

pratyush

Good for CDPR because I wouldn't want a game company who makes good games to go down because of one act.

Really hope they release next gen patch and make the game acceptable on last gen. This game will easily sell 25-30m by end of next year if that happens.

tumblr_nhvhratxbH1ruw1vso1_400.gifv

Deserved! Such an amazing game. You can build multiple entirely different characters and all play styles works fabulously whether you're going stealth, all guns blazing, hacking. Will be replaying once my 3080 comes in.

Sure theres a few bugs still around and two crashes in 47 hours is not too bad.

shame about console versions for sure

WakeTheWolf

tumblr_nhvhratxbH1ruw1vso1_400.gifv

Deserved! Such an amazing game. You can build multiple entirely different characters and all play styles works fabulously whether you're going stealth, all guns blazing, hacking. Will be replaying once my 3080 comes in.

Sure theres a few bugs still around and two crashes in 47 hours is not too bad.

shame about console versions for sure

Even the PC version has yeah AI

harmny

Banned
To me most disappointed has been the super long wait time compared to the quality of the end product, the open world gameplay, quest level design are so basic that there is no reason this should take 5.5 years. They gotta focus on what they do best and understand their limitations so they can deliver a lot more of the things they are great at, then just cut out the things that they are bad at. Larian also had success for their rpgs but they aren't dreaming about to dominate every field, they just focus on what they are great at. End result is loss waiting time between releases, plus a happier fanbase.

At this point I just want them to fix the game breaking bugs and then move onto the substaintial story content they are talking about, I'm sure adding AI and better physics at this point will just spawn new bugs and have their projects being delayed till forever. Not worth it, just accept they aren't good at making city open world work and they will never be rockstar or even ubisoft at that and move on.

quest level design is basic? best quests in an open world game in gaming history

Javthusiast

Banned
Great, hopefully after a year they will fix the game.

No not just the bugs, but fundamentally reworking the broken piece of shit AI as well as adding more to do in the world and making it actually worth exploring. Tightening up driving, making the skills and progression systems actually matter.

Rebalancing the whole gameplay, adding options to customize your character in the fucking world, removing or reworking craft system and much more.

Cause guess what, even if it had zero bugs, it would still be a disappointing game copared to what was promised and lied about for years in the marketing.

Bkdk

quest level design is basic? best quests in an open world game in gaming history

Yep, the branching stories don't even get me going to different level, just slightly different starting points at most, I want completely different locations with different choices I take, also their quest level design is all more simplistic than deus ex human revolution., yet they spend so much time for locations of the city that I won't even bother to explore, the secret ending is basically a teaser of the story dlc and should have been in the game, rather they cut most of that open world to include that and have the branching endings with that level.

thuGG_pl

The Witcher 3 with great word of mouth has sold a little over 30M, I don't expect this game to have the same legs as The Witcher 3, no way is selling 50M+ and LMAO 100M

Yes after all the discount's, few bucks promotions and all that. The same will happen with 2077, and the number will skyrocket when (IF) they do multiplayer.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I finished the game with several different endings.

It often feels more like a linear action adventure game than a RPG.

Your choices very rarely matter and neither does your starting path actually.

The open world is just the place where the quests question marks stand...

Marketing for this game was really heavy on lies and false promises.

Jesus man, can't people just enjoy it?

NO FUN ALLOWED

Bragr

Banned
Good.

All the revenge hit piece reviews of the console version (like the IGN one) and internet drama is just as childish as CD Projekt tricking people of their money.

I was angry at first at the state of it, especially since I'm playing on the PS4. But I stuck with it, and after the patches, it works better. It's a good game, even on PS4.

I want them to stay around. I understand the shitshow and the credibility hit. But I like my hobby and I don't want companies ruined.

Yep, the branching stories don't even get me going to different level, just slightly different starting points at most, I want completely different locations with different choices I take, also their quest level design is all more simplistic than deus ex human revolution., yet they spend so much time for locations of the city that I won't even bother to explore, the secret ending is basically a teaser of the story dlc and should have been in the game, rather they cut most of that open world to include that and have the branching endings with that level.

I feel like you haven't really said anything.

Yes, the different lifepaths are just different starting points. It's not 3 separate games... and that's OK.

You have said multiple times ITT how the "quest level design is basic" but haven't explained at all why you think so. Just saying that it is without explanation... is nothing.

I can't think of ANY game that has better quest design than Cyberpunk. Not ALL the quests are complex and branching but many of them offer real choice that affects how the story plays out. For example, ( without spoilers ) during an early mission you can make choices that completely alter the way that mission plays out. There were actually MANY choices to make during that mission. A character can become a romance or even die based on your choices AND on your lifepath.

DeaDPo0L84

I finished the game with several different endings.

It often feels more like a linear action adventure game than a RPG.

Your choices very rarely matter and neither does your starting path actually.

The open world is just the place where the quests question marks stand...

Marketing for this game was really heavy on lies and false promises.

What's your gamer id? Curious to check your trophies or achievements.

That's not true. The first round of reviews were all made with footage provided by CDPR. Check this timestamp:

I see what you mean. Your earlier words were not very clear to me.

You said "spitting praise over handpicked footage provided by the developer" but they weren't praising the game based on any handpicked footage. They were praising the game based on playing the PC version of the game ( and all played on 3000 series Nvidia GPUs too I've heard ).

I think CDPR was simply trying to hide video footage of bugs that they believed they could patch out by release date ( the reviewers were playing an older and buggier version ). And based on my playthrough on PC they were pretty successful at patching most of those bugs. The console versions .... not so much. But I've heard that 1.05 is actually pretty decent now, even on base PS4.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I'm glad. People holding these guys up as broken game release pariahs are being willfully forgetful of the plethora of companies who did it in the past. At least these guys are working fast to fix it.

A lot of the problems seem to smack of changing target console midway through development and scrambling to upgrade assets etc while figuring out rendering tricks to make it run optimally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk269

It's not handpicked footage. They simply all played the PC version.
The handpicked footage was what CDPR provided to reviewers when reviewers showed their video reviews. Reviews were based on the PC code they played, but all the video footage you saw on the initial reviews were handpicked footage. In short, CDPR did not want reviewers to show any glitches, bugs or AI issues in footage.

Murr

Hope they can add many more copies over time. When they release the next gen patch later im sure many more will pick it up.
Finished my first playthrough and i really enjoyed the story and overall feel of the game. The ending i chose (panam) felt very satisfying and i will visit Nightcity again in the future.
I look forward to some Singleplayer Expansions in the future.

And btw the constant whining really gets annyoing.

YuLY

13 million copies net of refunds. Wow. I would have never guessed it was this high.

But refunds still happening no?
So do the sales, its been 1st on Steam since at least 2 weeks, your point? this will have 20+ mils sold before next spring 100%

This company is here to stay and I cant wait for their future games. My dream game is a space opera made by them. Its sad that hardware from 2013 ruined the reception that this great game got. In a few months the PC version will be considered one of the best RPGs ever made together with Witcher 3.

I'm playing the 1.05 version of the game on a good PC and its such a great game, I'm already anticipating replaying it now that I know it's systems better and story consequences.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
No surprise. Like I said, consoles made up a tiny portion of the sales, and multiplatform players will switch to PC version.

With the refund and game removal from Playstation platform, the sales portion will tilt towards to PC even more. Maybe 75% or something. By proxy this means a huge bulk of these sales are on PC

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hope they can add many more copies over time. When they release the next gen patch later im sure many more will pick it up.
Finished my first playthrough and i really enjoyed the story and overall feel of the game. The ending i chose (panam) felt very satisfying and i will visit Nightcity again in the future.
I look forward to some Singleplayer Expansions in the future.

And btw the constant whining really gets annyoing.
I haven't kept up with endings, but after you finish the game is it over like Fallout 3? Or can you still keep playing clearing side missions?

Murr

I haven't kept up with endings, but after you finish the game is it over like Fallout 3? Or can you still keep playing clearing side missions?

After you finish the game you get an open world save point and can continue with side missions. Basically they send you back right before the point of no return.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm playing the 1.05 version of the game on a good PC and its such a great game, I'm already anticipating replaying it now that I know it's systems better and story consequences.
To be fair, you're in a different league. Not everyone has a good PC.

Even with the 1.05 patch which improved things a lot compared to two weeks of hell, there's 170 million potential Xbox One and PS4 OG gamers who are playing a game that is lousy.

Everyone knows a good PC or the games running on next gen consoles would be good, but nobody expected the last gen games to be so far down the ladder. Even though CD never promoted the last gen games with videos, everyone expected the standard of quality to be better than what they released.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I don't understand how they count the refunds already? Gamestop just announced you can refund the game after playing 30 days, MS too so people are now busy finishing the game and then they will ask for a refund after Christmas.

The most abused refund system in gaming history. CDPR stabbed themselves.

THEAP99

Banned
I don't understand how they count the refunds already? Gamestop just announced you can refund the game after playing 30 days, MS too so people are now busy finishing the game and then they will ask for a refund after Christmas.

The most abused refund system in gaming history. CDPR stabbed themselves.
i haven't even seen anyone else get a refund from sony yet. seems like another pr spin

rolandss

Not really, I bet my ass there aren't a lot of refunds. Most of the people will wait until the patch instead of going through a tedious process to get a refund of a game you wanna play. Why would you?
I'm in this boat. I'll be playing on PS4 Pro, and my disc copy was installed on the console and to date has not been played. I'm confident there's a good game underneath the messy launch state and bugs, and I'm just willing to wait it out a couple months until after the promised big January and February patches. I don't think it's good what CDPR did with this game, your audience shouldn't pay to beta test a game that's not in a fit state for release. But I know if I'm gonna eventually buy it there's no point getting a refund now and it's a bit of a pain in the ass to return it to the online store I bought it from who probably aren't even across the whole mess of this game and the refund promise CDPR made. I've learnt my lesson and will never buy a CDPR game at launch again.

ZywyPL

Banned
breaking bad nothing GIF

Wonder how high will it go in the longer term once they polish the game and it's back on PS Store again, plus thanks to next-gen adoption (hopefully) raising next year.

kretos

Banned
I hope this is a lesson and they don't fuck up Witcher 4

or maybe the lesson they learned is no matter how shit the state your game is it's going to sell and make money, fools will fall to hype anyway release and fix later

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hope this is a lesson and they don't fuck up Witcher 4

or maybe the lesson they learned is no matter how shit the state your game is it's going to sell and make money, fools will fall to hype anyway release and fix later
CD is well known for how they promote their games.

- Witcher 3 = those bullshot videos and images
- 2077 = high spec PC footage
- Both games needed patches, 2077 being much worse

We'll have to see what they do with Witcher 4 (pre-launch PR & actual game release). Who knows when W4 will even come out (3 or 4 years?), so they got a lot of time to decide on marketing and state of release.

Last edited:

K.S v2.0

Banned
No surprise at all it did these numbers. Nevermind preorders, there are ppl who specifically upgraded or bought gaming PC's/bought new vidcards just to play this one game. When you're that deep into Sunk Cost Fallacy™, you're in to the bitter end.

Fortunately this is CDPR and they do have a track record of properly fixing their shit, so its not going to remain a total mess. Give it a year and nobody will even remember the bugs... give it 2 years and a couple of major content expansions like Witcher 3 got, and all you're going to hear is praise.

After all, who here actually remembers how buggy Witcher 3 was on release, or even cares anymore that it WAS buggy?

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Not even surprised. All things can be fixed in due time until it becomes miniscule and honestly, a little bit of setback would only facilitate overall improvements for the game.

Top Bottom