• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 sold 13 mln copies on all platforms ( number of refunds has been taken into accounts)

Hostile_18

Banned
Funny if the Playstation relaunch gets treated almost like a second launch in terms of sales.

Sometimes any news can be good news. The media coverage has been huge. For every 1 person put off it's very possible another 2 decide to buy it.

DonJorginho

Banned
Well done CDPR! I imagine if they actually finished the game before release it could've sold way more but these figures are a testament to how good the core game itself is, that despite all the media shitstorm, it's still sold very well in the midst of a global pandemic.

Last edited:

Fbh

13 million 😳

Imagine how much it would have sold was it not for the bad press.

On the other hand it's not hard to image this might have sold considerably less if they had shown the state of the console version and all the bugs before release.
Seems like doing everything to hype up the game and then just saying sorry works.

Though I guess the interesting part will be seeing if people hype up their next game as much or if there's going to be more of a "let's wait until it's actually out" mentality.

Great Hair

Banned
13,000,000 sold copies
7,800,000 60% PC
1% playing at 1440p DLSS @ 4K with RT Ultra
4% playing at 1440p DLSS @ Balanced, Performance
95% playing at 1080p or lower with medium preset

5,200,000 40% Consoles (PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, XB1, XBX, XSX, XSS)
avg. 740,000 per platform
PS 3*740K = 2.2mln+ of which 33% had to wait for patch 1.05 and still have issues
MS 4*740K = 2.9mln+ of which 25% still suffer from terrible performance
iMAjatC.png

"... hurry up with those class action lawsuits!! *evil laugh*" :messenger_smiling_horns:

Rey

Hey we screwed over a large amount of our player base but let's brag about the HUGE numbers we put up. This is exactly why they hid the console footage. It wouldn't have put up these numbers if people knew what they were getting into

Your really believe that a large part of that 13 million would wait for reviews to decide to buy or hold off buying the game pending on reviews?
And how dit people get screwed exactly? I don't remember the last time a refund of this magnitude was possible.

harmny

Banned
Marcin. Adam. if you are reading this. take the money and run. the gaming industry is done. don't fix the game. they will never be happy and your next game is going to get canceled way before launch. poland is an alt right nazi country for the people ruling the western countries and it's only getting worse in the next five years.

Last edited:
It's sad and insane. What's going to motivate them to fix the game?

Something you might not be too familiar with: professional pride?

They will be providing PC and next-gen updates for existing TW3 owners, 6, six whole years after launch. For free. What's motivating them?

Or any get the next-gen versions out early next year?

Besides professional pride, capitalism, the greatest system, a system without which CD Projekt RED wouldn't even exist, let alone thrive, provides the right kind of systemic motivation.

vpance

Still a bunch of refunds in the queue they likely haven't counted yet. Unless they included those that emailed them?

b0bbyJ03

I’m conflicted on this one. I’m enjoying the fuck out of it. Really having one of the best gaming experiences I’ve had in years but I feel bad for those that got it on console and I can’t back CDPR for what they did. Their management is so fucking stupid. Had they just released the PC version and delayed the consoles the game would eventually end up in legendary status.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I’m conflicted on this one. I’m enjoying the fuck out of it. Really having one of the best gaming experiences I’ve had in years but I feel bad for those that got it on console and I can’t back CDPR for what they did. Their management is so fucking stupid. Had they just released the PC version and delayed the consoles the game would eventually end up in legendary status.

Yeah the bad reputation will follow them for this for sure and deservedly so.

Guilty_AI

Still a bunch of refunds in the queue they likely haven't counted yet. Unless they included those that emailed them?
According to the message:
"...less all refund requests e-mailed directly to the Company by the publication date of this report in the framework of the “Help Me Refund” campaign"

prag16

Banned
Hey we screwed over a large amount of our player base but let's brag about the HUGE numbers we put up. This is exactly why they hid the console footage. It wouldn't have put up these numbers if people knew what they were getting into
I think you overestimate the sophisitication of the average consumer. I'd be shocked if more than 10% of total sales were returned/refunded. And even that's probably still way too high a number.

In reality, while performance is bad on consoles, the gamebreaking stuff is probably affecting less people than you think, and most PC players seem pretty happy.

I'm enjoying it myself, even on my potato PC (2550k/970). The 'lushness of the open world' was the aspect I was probably least excited about, so them having overpromised in that area hasn't fazed me much. I've encountered a couple amusing visual glitches, such as a cell phone suspended in midair next to a character with an empty hand up to his head (why do they even need cell phones in this universe?), but nothing worse than that and nothing game breaking. Just some rough chugging frames while driving at high speed.

The story is good, the controls (aside from driving) are good, the graphics are good considering my PC, and the shooter mechanics are solid. Loving the atmosphere. Doesn't surprise me that it sold gangbusters despite the controversy, given the prelaunch hype.

Last edited:

Eternal21

I guess we will have to see how legs do. As we have all seen with TLOU2, these controversies do affect the legs of the games.

It is no surprise though that it had a grand opening. Kudos to them for that.

The main difference being, TLOU2 controversy was largely manufactured outrage, while CDPR straight up covered up their game being unplayable on consoles.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
Absolutely fucked up. Buggy games shouldn’t be successful.

the greatest games in history are buggy

well the ps version is delayed because you can't buy it. so legendary status incoming

Last edited:

Karak

In the end gaming just bought itself deep into the express ticket of early access as a retail future. It is what it is.

Sadly I found myself sort of disappointed from start to finish especially with how little the life paths mattered at all and how the skills played out. There is something there but man, so rough.

Yeah the bad reputation will follow them for this for sure and deservedly so.

Unless they turn it around, that is.

The thought never seems to enter some imaginations. If I had to guess, I'd speculate a lot of brain power is currently focused on trying to find ways to revert the situation. Not developers, but people whose job is to fix the mess they might have helped to create.

This is the situation they seemingly find themselves in: a decent amount of cash, a shaken reputation, something to prove.

Yet all this cocktail seems to elicit from you is a declaration the mess will haunt them forever.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
In the end gaming just bought itself deep into the express ticket of early access as a retail future. It is what it is.

Sadly I found myself sort of disappointed from start to finish especially with how little the life paths mattered at all and how the skills played out. There is something there but man, so rough.

they should have removed life paths. and skills and levels. spent those resources making good random npcs ai and police and chairs to sit. and get 150/100 metacritic.
no one would complain about new things that never existed before.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Already more then witcher 3 in its lifetime i believe. Not bad.

I could see this game having lots of legs in the future.

Last edited:

Karak

they should have removed life paths. and skills and levels. spent those resources making good random npcs ai and police and chairs to sit. and get 150/100 metacritic.
no one would complain about new things that never existed before.
No they should have made sure that the inclusion befits the resources spent.
What are you...even talking about?

THEAP99

Banned

Isn't this normal though? Not this whole refund situation but plenty of other buggy games at launch have released and were successful. I do not think this is a new revelation.

Karak

It's sad and insane. What's going to motivate them to fix the game? Or any get the next-gen versions out early next year?
A realistic worry however the game isn't even a 1/4th the complexity of Witcher 3. I think they have a much better chance of getting it shored up for sure even with all the issues it has.. As devs have already discussed adding cut content that has been severed and resorting it is NOT the same thing and many scales of magnitude more difficult. But getting what is there working better for sure!
Isn't this normal though? Not this whole refund situation but plenty of other buggy games at launch have released and were successful. I do not think this is a new revelation.
No very much not. A triple-A game with an entire platform delisted. Its not at all normal? IF you meant that.
If you meant the descent into early access? As for sliding that way. I wasnt or didn't think I was indicating it hadn't happened before. However, one leap is discussion-worthy just like many small steps.
However when you combine the falsehoods around the review process and so forth. A lot of it is indeed not normal

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I honestly don't see the problem with that. Some of my favorite games were born out of early access.

People who want an early taste despite lack of polish/content get just that, people who'd rather wait for the finished product get a finely polished game on release, developers get further funds and can show interest for the game exists while getting the kinda of beta testing it would be impossible to get otherwise.
As a bonus, the proccess also kills hype cycles which are a plague in the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

A realistic worry however the game isn't even a 1/4th the complexity of Witcher 3. I think they have a much better chance of getting it shored up for sure even with all the issues it has.. As devs have already discussed adding cut content that has been severed and resorting it is NOT the same thing and many scales of magnitude more difficult. But getting what is there working better for sure!

No very much not. A triple-A game with an entire platform delisted. Its not at all normal.
As for sliding that way. yes I was, or didn't think I was indicating it hadn't happened before. However, one leap is discussion worthy just like many small steps.

Witcher 3 was complex? the combat was god awful, and the dialogue's where never ending.

GeorgPrime

Banned
And its just going to be better. They could easily lose anohter 3 million and it would be still a great achievement.

Karak

Witcher 3 was complex? the combat was god awful, and the dialogue's where never ending.
Yes very. Complexity isn't measured by quality. As we have now seen lol on both scales the high and the low

I honestly don't see the problem with that. Some of my favorite games were born out of early access.

People who want an early taste despite lack of polish/content get just that, people who'd rather wait for the finished product get a finely polished game on release, developers get further funds and can show interest for the game exists while getting the kinda of beta testing it would be impossible to get otherwise.
As a bonus, the proccess also kills hype cycles which are a plague in the gaming industry.
Are we talking about pretending its retail like they did? Or acknowledging a game is in early access? Some of my favorite things are also born of bad situations, that doesn't exactly change that I want the situation to get large and incorporate other more solid foundations.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned

There is a big issue with this because it's totally alienating offline players. Once again, Cyberpunk is supposed to be a single-player game "no bullshit" involved. It should not take a multitude of patches to get the game to where it needs to be.

The game once again should be in early access itself officially or beta or some shit if they want to patch in a finished product.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
congrats.

no idea why people are acting like there have never been buggy games on release. i once again point to when everyone was slobbering over MS for buying Bethesda, despite them going through this same shit with both Fallout 4 and 76.
this is hardly CDPR's fault. like im wondering where all the outrage is for EA, they sold a Star Wars game with 4 maps, then the rest as DLC. what about Fallout 76, launched with no NPCs, and a zillion glitches and bugs. did gaming journalism freak out on them? i don't recall any warnings printed that EA was trying use digital gambling on kids. everyone cheered like kids on Christmas when MS bought Bethesda.

early access is apparently ok if it has a popular brand name behind it. Cyberpunk's only crime is not being called Fallout or Skyrim or Star Wars.

Last edited:

Karak

ythis is hardly CDPR's fault. like im wondering where all the outrage is for EA, they sold a Star Wars game with 4 maps, then the rest as DLC. what about Fallout 76, launched with no NPCs, and a zillion glitches and bugs. did gaming journalism freak out on them? i don't recall any warnings printed that EA was trying use digital gambling on kids.

early access is apparently ok if it has a popular brand name behind it. Cyberpunk's only crime is not being called Fallout or Skyrim or Star Wars.
Well doing a quick search the outrage was there in deep for Star Wars in spades. The outrage reached milestone levels for Fallout 76. What do you mean where was the outrage?
FYI checked there were over 25k mentions of EA and digital gambling, with over 13k for UFC when it added ads in the first 24 hours they went live.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be suprised the total number of refunds worldwide was less than 500k

Most people don't care.

Uh, I think you're forgetting that there are gamers living in countries where the businesses have no desire to provide a refund.

Cause, ya know, there's like, an entire planet that inhabits billions of humans in different countries and not just, Western Nations?

THEAP99

Banned
congrats.

no idea why people are acting like there have never been buggy games on release. i once again point to when everyone was slobbering over MS for buying Bethesda, despite them going through this same shit with both Fallout 4 and 76.

this is hardly CDPR's fault. like im wondering where all the outrage is for EA, they sold a Star Wars game with 4 maps, then the rest as DLC. what about Fallout 76, launched with no NPCs, and a zillion glitches and bugs. did gaming journalism freak out on them? i don't recall any warnings printed that EA was trying use digital gambling on kids.

Cyberpunk 2077 is single player only offline game. Fallout 76 needs internet required thus patches. I am not excusing what f76 did, but at least the game itself it's honest in being unfinished. Whereas Cyberpunk is setting a bad precedent for single player online games where the game on disc has place holder text

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Something you might not be too familiar with: professional pride?

They will be providing PC and next-gen updates for existing TW3 owners, 6, six whole years after launch. For free. What's motivating them?

Besides professional pride, capitalism, the greatest system, a system without which CD Projekt RED wouldn't even exist, let alone thrive, provides the right kind of systemic motivation.

Tell EA and Google this. I don't see if with many IPs that EA owns. And Google seems to be going against this with Stadia.

Kenpachii

Well doing a quick search the outrage was there in deep for Star Wars in spades. The outrage reached milestone levels for Fallout 76. What do you mean where was the outrage?
FYI checked there were over 25k mentions of EA and digital gambling, with over 13k for UFC when it added ads in the first 24 hours they went live.

It did'?

a024e926ab6d548baf56f362120e1992.png

Cyberpunk

9ec1193683463817bf883f41777416ec.png

Talking here about witcher 3.

The fact that its impressive is because witcher 2 and 3 where given away in bullloads amounts on PC atleast and frankly both witcher 2 and 3 are sold for years already for a few bucks to even a buck. So yea it will inflate those numbers big time.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Top Bottom